Lifeless Packers Still Searching for a Pulse

In what was a dismal affair at Lambeau Field in front of a nationally televised Monday Night Football audience, the Green Bay Packers didn't seem as if they had anything to play for.

There weren't cameras all around the stadium. There weren't over 77,000 fans in the stands waiting -- hoping -- for a spark of life. It was a game of backyard football amongst adolescents. Except, adolescents may have even put on a more entertaining bout than the home team did last night.

From an offense engineered by quarterback Brett Hundley, who relieved original starter Aaron Rodgers after his collarbone injury three weeks ago, the Packers were only able to muster three points entering the fourth quarter. The ensuing 13 they scored in the process of losing 30-17 to the Detroit Lions at home for only the second time since 1991, were in garbage time.

It's not like Hundley played horribly, either. He completed 26 of his 38 passes for 245 yards but had only 80 after two quarters. Still, the improvement from the loss to the New Orleans Saints two weeks prior was there.

Alternatively, 24 of his 38 attempts were either below five yards past the line of scrimmage or behind the line of scrimmage. Hundley was hitting check-downs a majority of the night sans the first drive where the Packers marched 55 yards down the field on 15 plays, only to have a Mason Crosby field goal attempt blocked.

"We called shots. It was a great-called game," Hundley said after the loss. "But the way they played their defense, they weren't giving up the shots."

Coach Mike McCarthy faced criticism all night for what was initially believed to be his game-plan, but the reality is, the routes were there for Hundley.

"You have to look at the defense, what they're doing, how they're playing us and how they're scheming things up. This game, they were giving up the underneath stuff."

Like McCarthy also stated following the game, you also have to be able to give the Lions credit. Even on the fourth-and-two jet sweep play with receiver Randall Cobb that Lions safety Glover Quinn blew up at the line of scrimmage, resulting in a turnover. That was just a tremendous play made by a veteran.

One of Hundley's passes specifically could've altered a lot of things.

Trailing 14-0 and trying to grasp some kind of flow to get some points before the end of the first half, Hundley sailed the ball deep down the right side of the field for receiver Davante Adams, who had his man beat. It resulted in an incompletion, but not because the pass was too far in front of Adams.

"I just kind of misjudged it," Adams said, who reached out with one arm rather than two and got a hand on the lofty pass. "I put the one [hand] out, could've gotten two on it. When I first looked up, I kind of burst again after I saw it and caught up to it. I guess I'm faster than what I thought I was."

However, at 4-4, at what point do the Packers begin truly getting acclimated to life without Aaron Rodgers? Because as of right now, they look like 53-plus lost puppies. Offensively, they can't find a rhythm or scheme for Hundley. Defensively, they can't get off the field on third down -- as evidenced by the Lions converting eight of their 13 attempts in those situations.

"We all tell him, just give us a chance to make plays. He did that, and we didn't 100 percent of the time today. We just have to continue to build off that. He's not perfect, we're not perfect, so if he throws a ball and it doesn't work we line up and do it again.

"We just gotta come back and win; win one-on-ones and beat the guy across from you."

__________________________

Zachary Jacobson is a staff writer/reporter for Cheesehead TV. He's the voice of The Leap on iTunes and can be heard on The Scoop KLGR 1490 AM every Saturday morning. He's also a contributor on the Pack-A-Day Podcast. He can be found on Twitter via @ZachAJacobson or contacted through email at [email protected].

KenEllis's picture

November 07, 2017 at 02:58 pm

Patience Zach, patience.

We have a HIGHLY SUCCESSFUL head football coach. (Source, Mike McCarthy).

We have an OUTSTANDING DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR. (Source, Mike McCarthy).

We have a wizard of a GM who everybody in the NFL knows is among the top 1 or 2 GMs in today's NFL, if not in NFL history. (Source, Cheesehead.com staff writers and practically every other Wisconsin-based media member who follows the Pack).

With these great coaches and management in place, success is right around the corner.

In TT, MM, and Dom we must trust.

Vic_Ketchman's picture

November 07, 2017 at 08:43 pm

I agree, 112%

The TKstinator's picture

November 07, 2017 at 09:11 pm

Imposter.

The TKstinator's picture

November 07, 2017 at 09:14 pm

If “the way they played their defense” was why GB got no “shots”, then maybe GB should play their defense that way too.
Just a thought from the idiot that is The TKstinator.

Thebearsstillsuck's picture

November 08, 2017 at 09:42 am

You forgot pad level, cleaning up the fundamentals, and believe in the guys in the quarterback room m

Point-Packer's picture

November 08, 2017 at 12:01 pm

The media's ass kissing, including many of the writers on this blog, over the years is partially to blame for this debacle and for the singular SB #12 has won. If you have any doubt how great QB1 is, look at the disaster on the field right now. And then imagine if we had a competent head coach, defensive coordinator and dare I say it, GM.

For years all I have heard from the media is how every other team in the NFL would take MM over their current head coach, minus in NE. Is that true now?

It took this long for the media to call for Capers head? He's been awful since 2011!

Finwiz's picture

November 08, 2017 at 12:18 pm

Tough to argue with any of that.
Media is somewhat complicit because they refuse to ask the tough questions, and keep pressing when McCarthy flaunts his "Pittsburgh tough" personality over the critical comments.

billybobton's picture

November 08, 2017 at 01:57 pm

This is so true and especially aggravating and kind of insult to the non media posters.

Right now we have an author over reacting to critics of her work, she say ONLY NOW DO WE SEE THE DEEP CRACKS covered by AROD.

welllll....... that total and complete bullcrap. Now that people to lazy to watch tape see that refuse to credit those who did, accurately, see it and explain it they act like it was a total game changer nobody could have seen.

Spud Rapids's picture

November 08, 2017 at 12:16 pm

Mock them all you want but McCarthy is 20th all time in NFL coaching win percentage and only Tomlin and Belichick are active coaches that have better win %'s. You can say it's because of Arodge but both Tomlin and Belichick have benefited from hall fame QBs as well.

MM - .644 win %
Tomlin - .649 win %
Belichick - ..675 win %

Point-Packer's picture

November 08, 2017 at 01:53 pm

What's Belichicks record without Brady?

What's MMs record without Rodgers?

Look it up.

billybobton's picture

November 08, 2017 at 01:59 pm

you can bet he will not look it up
and if looked up will not post it

with an injured AROD MM is still looking for 3 overall

NE has 3 consecutively

HankScorpio's picture

November 08, 2017 at 07:18 pm

"What's Belichicks record without Brady?"

41-57 in Cleveland and NE prior to Brady's 1st start. In 2008, NE went 10-5 when Brady went down in week 1 and missed the rest of the year. They went 3-1 when Brady was suspended.

So 54-63.

HankScorpio's picture

November 08, 2017 at 07:29 pm

"What's MMs record without Rodgers?"

21-11 before Rodgers first start. As the cool ESPN graphic told us, 3-3 with Flynn, 0-1-1 with Tolzein, 0-1 with Wallace and 0-1 (updated to 0-2) with Hundley.

That's 24-18-1.

So there you have the lookup for both. It's more flattering to McCarthy. But I don't think that means that Bellichick has been carried more by Brady than McCarthy has been by Rodgers. I still think Bellichick is a better coach overall.

4thand1's picture

November 07, 2017 at 03:02 pm

Pulse? break out the paddles, nitro, and brush up on your cpr.

The TKstinator's picture

November 08, 2017 at 06:50 pm

I can’t even spel pcr

Razor's picture

November 07, 2017 at 03:59 pm

Davante Adams - what a joke. He has his head way up in his own nether region.

The TKstinator's picture

November 09, 2017 at 06:22 am

That’s a hole nether issue.

flackcatcher's picture

November 07, 2017 at 03:59 pm

I knew the Packers were in trouble when the two deep passes to Nelson were not called for pass interference. Rodgers takes those shots, they get called. The adjustment to Hundley is rocky for everyone in the offense. Different guy, different skill set. Question is, can the Packer coaching staff make the transition quick enough to become a factor in the division. Is there still time. Let's not forget the NFL is a quarterback league. The Lions would look far worse without Stafford, who yesterday showed why he is the highest paid player in the league. Finally, give the Lions some credit. They were playing, for them a must win game. They had to win to stay in the playoff picture. Now it' up to the Packers to do the same.

Bure9620's picture

November 07, 2017 at 04:04 pm

To be honest, I think those were good no calls, Slay was right in Jordys pocket. That's just good DB play. Jordy cannot separate downfield anymore. If the DB is there with no grab, head turned, and step for step they will allow slight contact.

Finwiz's picture

November 07, 2017 at 04:09 pm

Nope ....to be honest, the 1st one was questionable, but there was still contact. I understood WHY they didn't call it.
The 2nd one was clear contact while the ball was in the air, with the DB's hands wrapped on Jordy's hips. I said at the time of that one, "apparently I no longer know what pass interference is, because that used to be it".

The old rule was, you can't have contact with the receiver when the ball is in the air - unless you are actively fighting for the ball with your head turned was added in the modern age. I thought the 2nd one was clear PI.

flackcatcher's picture

November 07, 2017 at 05:20 pm

Under the old rules both would be PI. Now, who in the hell knows. If the Refs were operating under the 'current NFL guidance' then both should have been called against Slay. I think like you that the first is a toss up, the second was clearly PI. That both were clearly non calls in this crews judgement. But another crew would clearly call Pi on both. Like everything else this year, the NFL has screwed up how the Refs get to call the game. Everything Rodger Goodell touch's turns to dust. Everything....

billybobton's picture

November 08, 2017 at 02:00 pm

you are correct

November 08, 2017 at 02:45 am

Interesting take. I assumed that no PI was called because Nelson is no longer viewed as elite. You suggest that it was because Hundley threw the pass instead of AR.

Either way, it is sad about the officiating. Protecting the league's stars is one reason I stopped watching the NBA.

zoellner25's picture

November 07, 2017 at 04:14 pm

It's a testament to ARod that he makes this bad team look as good as it does sometimes. HOF lock

Nick Perry's picture

November 07, 2017 at 04:47 pm

I've been saying this for the last several years. Take Rodgers off this team and you have the 2-14 Colts of a few years ago. Ted Thompson has done nothing to retool the team and NOW the media is talking about the same thing I've feared all along. WHY SHOULD RODGERS STAY IN GB????

If I was him I'd leave in a second. I have a moron for a coach and trust me, Rodgers knows this. The GM REFUSES to add a FA that will truly change the and help the team. The few areas of strength on this team from a year pr two ago are no longer strengths OL and WR. Matter of fact name me a position where GB is better than most of the NFL other than QB

Thompson has to go, maybe Murphy too for giving so much rope to Thompson. For the first time in 25 years I'm EMBARRASSED to be a Packers fan!!!

Mojo's picture

November 07, 2017 at 04:57 pm

You can be embarrassed of the way the Pack are playing, but you should never be embarrassed to be a Packer fan.

Nick Perry's picture

November 08, 2017 at 04:26 am

Thanks Mojo, your absolutely correct. These last few weeks have me so crazy I'm not even expressing things correctly when it comes to them right now. I'm embarrassed of the way the Packers are playing, MM is coaching, Dom Capers is still a coach here, and Ted Thompson is our GM. I think Capers and Thompson are what really get me twisted.

canadapacker's picture

November 07, 2017 at 05:22 pm

We all know that you are only as good as your quarterback. We also know that our defense sucks and we need a new DC. Even when they can get off the field they take a stupid penalty. At that we probably win the game if AR is there - only 14- 0 mostly through 2 quarters. But I am really quite upset with MM and with how he played Hundley 9 and 10 in the box mostly all night and no down the field routes - Hundley is light years ahead of Flynn and he doesnt let him play. So much for the great QB coach and his school.

4thand1's picture

November 07, 2017 at 05:23 pm

Who would you like to see taken in the draft?

Since'61's picture

November 07, 2017 at 05:43 pm

"Searching for a pulse"? What if that takes as long as our search for a TE or a pass rush, or a defense that tackles or a DC?

We have gone from an all-time, all universe QB to a QB who struggles to complete a pass, until garbage time.

Our defense which we need to carry the team while AR is out can't even force our opponent to punt. Of course when we do get a 3 and out our alleged defensive leader commits a STUPID penalty and then pretty much disappears for the remainder of the game along with the overhyped and over paid Nick Perry.

We are learning that this team is not built around Aaron Rodgers rather Aaron Rodgers is the team.

Thanks, Since '61

gary g's picture

November 07, 2017 at 06:38 pm

Since 61 and 4th and 1 To both of you who have stuck up for TT & MM every time i complained about them. You both seem a little quiet. This setup with these two idiots running this team is a joke. Without Rodgers the team is not even close to being good.

4thand1's picture

November 07, 2017 at 08:45 pm

I don't think I've stuck up for them every time, but you are right about AR. I knew he was the sole reason for the teams success. MM was probably hoping AR could pull one more SB out of his hat and then ride off into the sunset. The way TT has run this team has been exposed for all to see. The biggest problem is they will not admit to their own mistakes. The biggest is hanging on to Capers.

al bundy's picture

November 07, 2017 at 06:12 pm

Cowherd is saying Rogers would be nuts to sign another contract. According to cowherd Rogers was doing 75 percent of the work. He is a free agent next season, he should look at offers and go to a team with great o line and defense.
Wow could it be we've seen the last of him?
Why play for a team lacking defense and oline protection. No way he plays again this year. They will be out of it by then

MarkinMadison's picture

November 07, 2017 at 08:04 pm

Cowherd is an fing moron who manages to know which way the wind is blowing by feeling his own piss on his pant leg.

Nick Perry's picture

November 08, 2017 at 04:32 am

But what Bundy is saying is correct, he's not suggesting that himself. Cowturd, Stephan A Smith, and others are putting that out there, Rodgers would be CRAZY to re-sign with the Packers is what I'm reading.

November 08, 2017 at 02:58 am

AR is signed for 2018 and 2019.

billybobton's picture

November 08, 2017 at 02:02 pm

under a contract that allows him to walk after this year

lecko's picture

November 07, 2017 at 06:24 pm

So I know it is almost impossible for all you to write or say ot think this sentence: "I realize that I am responsible for the awful play of PAcker Defence and the bad offensive plan of Packers and that Hundley is not playing like NFL QB life and for the bad coaching from Capers and bad drafts from Thompson...and I feel terrible remorse that something in my consciousness has caused this".

Where I get that , am I mad or what ? I hope not,
I was just reading today some artivcle about some person who changed her life and there is this interesting healing theory and I think it could be useful also to the other PAcker fans:."The secret is there is no such thing as “out there” – everything happens around you happens to you in your mind. Everything you see, everything you hear, every person you meet, you experience in your mind." we need to feel responsible for all the events in our life, even the ones who we feel we have no conneciton with..what matter is only how they make us feel. If they . .make us feel bad like current state of the Packers, we still should say "Im sorry, forgiuce me, I love you". Cmon packer fans, try it and it may make you feel better about yourself at least. http://www.laughteronlineuniversity.com/practice.../ . . Now I am from Slovenia and have zero financial interest in all this...as you all I was very dissapointed when Rodgers was injured..I just hope you all feel better

John Galt's picture

November 07, 2017 at 06:57 pm

Who cares - the NFL is going into the toilet. Still waiting for an apology to us veterans. Goodell just hired a Clinton hack lawyer to help with the kneeling nonsense. Goddell has no idea he is destroying the NFL. Lots of empty stadiums and TV viewership down by millions and he still doesn't get it.

My family is enjoying watching the PBR from Las Vegas. Tougher athletes who are much finer people than the National Felony League jerks.

I go back to the 1950's with the Pack. Trust me, Vince Lombardi would never have put up with this garbage.

Curry Rambeau's picture

November 07, 2017 at 07:25 pm

Bye!

John Galt's picture

November 07, 2017 at 07:36 pm

Your Disgusting NFL today:

"Miko Grimes, wife of NFL cornerback Brent Grimes, recently appeared on Revolt TV. During that appearance, she shared a story about how the Oakland Raiders offensive line deliberately allowed quarterback Derek Carr to get hit, and eventually injured, during their Week 3 match-up against the Washington Redskins.

If you recall, Week 3 came right after President Trump called NFL protesters out at a rally in Alabama. Over 300 NFL players, coaches, and owners, protested in some form or fashion. According to Grimes, the Raiders offensive line, the only all-black offensive line in the NFL, took exception to Carr (who is white) saying that they shouldn’t kneel in protest.

An argument ensued, and, according to Grimes, the offensive line decided to abandon Carr to the Redskins pass rush."

The NFL is totally sick - just boycott it.

4thand1's picture

November 07, 2017 at 08:55 pm

It's your right to speak freely, it's their right to protest peacefully. If someone calls me a SOB, I will not sit quietly. A lot of these players have military ties, would you rather they pick up a gun ? This is the last I will speak of this.

Red Foreman's picture

November 07, 2017 at 09:04 pm

Do you know her history? She makes stuff like that up to gathering a following. Fake news. Sad that you believed it.

Duke Divine's picture

November 08, 2017 at 11:44 am

She is looney tunes

carlbs's picture

November 08, 2017 at 12:05 pm

Monday night reminded me of what it felt like to catch a Monday Night Football game on ABC with Frank Gifford and friends in the booth. The Packers were early-80's bad on Monday night.

HankScorpio's picture

November 09, 2017 at 10:04 am

In 2013, it took them 3 games to show any signs of life post-Rodgers. That came in the form of Flynn relieving Tolzein and putting up 16 points in the 4th Q to earn a tie vs Minny. (Interesting note: In that OT, Flynn led the Pack to an opening drive FG. The defense rolled over and allowed Minny the same)

I suppose it is anyone's guess whether that was all about Flynn on the field or just that it took 3 games for the team to stop feeling sorry for itself. Probably a little of both.

Hundley has certainly been horrible replacing Rodgers this year. But his 45 teammates are not doing much to help him, either. I don't know who or what can snap them out of the slumber. But something needs to give. If they sleep walk through the rest of the schedule, it might not be so easy to revert to the 4-1 team they were with Rodgers when he returns.