Jones Practices With Starters

Brad Jones lined up with the starters during today's practice.

After consecutive poor showings by outside linebacker Erik Walden against the Chicago Bears and Detroit Lions, the Packers inserted Brad Jones into the starting outside spot opposite Clay Matthews today at practice.

While Walden was rotated in later on during a no-huddle period, it seems safe to assume the Packers are looking to Jones to provide some kind of spark across from Matthews after watching Walden's play deteriorate over the last month or so.

Jones is coming off his most extensive action of the season in the Packers victory over the Lions this past Sunday when he registered the only sack against Detroit's Matthew Stafford. Jones' overall play on Sunday, while not outstanding, was at least consistent enough to earn the trust of the coaches, who, to be honest, are grasping at straws opposite their star outside linebacker.

It remains to be seen how much, if any, playing time rookie Vic So'oto might get in the playoffs, but its a good bet defensive coordinator Dom Capers will want to stick with veterans Jones, Walden and Frank Zombo before resorting to putting So'oto on the field. With the Packers seemingly returning to health, there's also a good chance So'oto will be inactive on game day.

FITZCORE1252's EVO's picture

January 04, 2012 at 03:41 pm

Uh, errr.... GREAT!

GBP 4 LIFE

SoTxPhil's picture

January 04, 2012 at 04:32 pm

So'oto seemed to be the only guy on the line that has busted thru to get to the QB or at least make him hurry his throws. Of course, Walden had to come in late to rough the passer on Vic's sack against Detroit. Someone getting to the passer is what this defense needs to improve.

Bob's picture

January 04, 2012 at 05:14 pm

Didn't matter how So'oto played. The days of inexperienced guys playing has ended. It explains why they couldn't find a way to get players like So'oto and House 5-6 snaps a game this year. A few snaps each game, provides game experience and video to review with their position coach. Does anyone think playing the young guys a few snaps a game would have hurt the performance of the defense this year.

Cole's picture

January 04, 2012 at 06:26 pm

It can't get any worse. So Oto' should be in on all third and longs.

Mojo's picture

January 04, 2012 at 04:52 pm

Wasn't Jones the first of the lot to get a shot at the outside LB gig opposite Clay? It appears the Jones/Zombo/Walden/So'oto journey has come full-circle.

NoWayJose's picture

January 04, 2012 at 06:34 pm

Don't forget about Poppinga and Chillar! The better question is how many players in the NFL haven't started at least a pair of games at that position in that last few years...

rusty's picture

January 04, 2012 at 06:18 pm

I was unable to watch the whole game but I think Jones had a sack too...

PackerAaron's picture

January 04, 2012 at 06:23 pm

That's what I wrote above.

Oppy's picture

January 04, 2012 at 07:51 pm

I predicted Brad Jones would be the starter in the season opener.

When he played as a rookie after Kampman went down with injury, he played surprisingly well. I always thought he was the most well rounded of the OLBs outside of Matthews, but apparently he was disappointing in practices and never had a chance.

Strange to see he's getting reps with the 1's now.

I have to wonder if the kid is just so damn smart that he doesn't care about getting paid to play football. His comments after sundays game came off like, 'Hey, that's awesome that I might get to play, i think it's swell, and a bunch of fun. It's all gravy, because when they decide they don't want to pay me to hang out and have a good time playing football, I'll just go make my fortune doing stuff like Rocket propulsion experiments, or maybe I could wear one of those spiffy lab coats and have all sorts of beakers with bright colored, bubbly fluids in them when I go play Bio-Genetic Engineer."

Um, that's paraphrased.

SpiderPack's picture

January 04, 2012 at 09:34 pm

Funny. Nice job Oppy. Yeah he's soooo happy-go-lucky. And I think too much of that's been showing up in his play. He reminds me of what I would envision as Elroy Jetson's older brother when he (Brad) does his blitzing happy dance-which is actually effective BTW. Not knocking him, but he just looks so unlike a QB killer out there. Remember when you were little and there was the kid on your soccer/football/Bball team who was just a little bit different and kind of off in his own world, but amazingly it worked for him? That's Brad Jones. Let's hope he's now rediscovering his "Mad Man Astrophysics-Inspired Jet Fuel" we saw him using beginning with the Cowboys game I attended his rookie season. Thanks for the laugh Oppy.

JJB's picture

January 04, 2012 at 08:33 pm

Cut Walden

BrianD's picture

January 04, 2012 at 09:03 pm

no need, he'll be a free agent soon enough

EP's picture

January 05, 2012 at 11:27 am

Or not so free agent in the Big House.

Kris_from_Falls's picture

January 04, 2012 at 11:21 pm

I watched the Lions game tape again and specifically focused on the play of Mike Neal. Talk about being invisible! I wonder if he makes it through camp next year before being injured (that's a shocker!) or released. Do you guys see any chance that Neal turns out to be atleast an AJ Hawk type player (i.e. average)

NoWayJose's picture

January 05, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Yes, there's a great chance he turns out to be a contributor. There's also a great chance he fails. But I just don't know that we are going to learn anything this year.

Give the kid a year in the offseason program and a healthy camp first.

I think this will be a lost season for him (unfortunately, his second).