Heyward Pays Attention To Mock Drafts, Packers Come Up Often

With the down time following elbow surgery, Ohio State defensive lineman Cameron Heyward said he's spent time looking at NFL mock drafts where the Packers frequently appear.

Following UCL reconstruction surgery to repair an injury to his elbow suffered during Ohio State's victory over Arkansas in the Sugar Bowl, defensive lineman and draft prospect Cameron Heyward had a lot of down time.

Some of that time was spent looking at mock drafts around the Internet.

"I need to stop," said Cameron at the recent NFL Combine in Indianapolis.

Heyward has probably noticed he's frequently predicted to go to the Green Bay Packers in the first round. A recent survey of mock drafts from various websites conducted by Cheesehead TV has found that Heyward's name has appeared going to the Packers more than any other name.

"I'm not looking at any more," said Heyward.

For the former Buckeye, it's time to focus on rehabbing his elbow and getting ready to impress scouts and coaches at the Ohio State pro day on March 30.

Heyward wasn't able to take part in the workout portion of the Combine but says he's regained full motion in his elbow.

"My surgery was January 12th, and I'm getting healthy," said Heyward. "It's been an ongoing process. It hurts a lot, because I really want to be out here [working out] right now.

"I wish I could be competing my butt off right now, because I'm itching at this chance. I'm salivating. It's a great opportunity to be here, to get to see all these great guys and great competition, you want to be a part of it."

Even with an injured elbow, Heyward was able to have an impressive Sugar Bowl with six tackles, 3.5 for a loss, one sack and two quarterback hurries.

The win over the Razorbacks gave the Big Ten Conference a bit of redemption after going winless in five bowl games on New Year's Day.

It was the culmination of a season in which Heyward accumulated 48 tackles including 13 for a loss, 2.5 sacks, one interception, three quarterback hurries, one pass breakup and one fumble recovery, which some have viewed as a regression compared to his junior year.

"It's no short of effort," said Heyward. "I'm a guy with a very high motor and I'm going to give you all I got. You'll see all my pass-rush moves. I might not have gotten there every time, but I'm going to continue to work on my pass rush and continue to get better."

The son of Craig "Ironhead" Heyward, a former NFL running back who played most notably with the New Orleans Saints, the junior Heyward is preparing for a career in the NFL uncertain of what type of defensive system in which he'll play.

Asked where he's most comfortable, Heyward said "the line." He has experience playing both end and tackle in a 4-3 defense and end in a 3-4 defense Ohio State would use on third downs.

Heyward said he's adapted well to playing the five-technique end position required to play in a 3-4.

"I enjoyed it," said Heyward. "Just moving all over the line helped me be versatile, and it helped me go against tackles who don't go against guys who are more physical, and guards where I'm able to use my speed more."

If Heyward happens to be selected by the Packers, it would be with the 32nd overall pick in the draft barring a trade, the final selection of the first round.

That's toeing a fine line between becoming a first-round choice and a second rounder. But according to Heyward, it doesn't matter where he's selected.

"I don't know where I'm going to go," said Heyward, "but I'm just approaching this with the best attitude. If I go in the second round, it doesn't matter because it's been a great opportunity, and not a lot of people say they can play in the NFL."

PackersRS's picture

March 03, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Great attitude. I thought the knack on this guy was he didn't have a big motor?

PkrNboro's picture

March 03, 2011 at 01:13 pm

I seriously doubt this guy will be a Packer.

The Packers aren't that needy on the DL, considering Neal and Wilson, and the indication that Green will stay. Additionally, the prospects are looking up for Jolly.

The not-so-distant memory of the Harrell situation may preclude his selection as well as the Packers currently rehabbing one lineman already.

Also, how many mock-drafts ever peg Ted Thompson ?

PJPost's picture

March 03, 2011 at 02:18 pm

Wow! Great question at the end of your post. Does anyone have any info on a mock that has routinely.... or ever pegged Mr. T?

IdiotFan's picture

March 03, 2011 at 02:57 pm

I actually remember that there was one writer (I forget which) from the NFL network that correctly predicted the Justin Harrell pick, which is rather incredible if you ask me.

PackerAaron's picture

March 03, 2011 at 03:01 pm

It was Mike Mayock. He got Ahmad Carroll right as well.

PackersRS's picture

March 03, 2011 at 03:19 pm

So when Mike Mayock predicts the Packers' #1 pick, it's a shitty one, is that it?

Here's to Mayock failing miserably in his Packers' pick prediction.

cow42's picture

March 03, 2011 at 03:02 pm

I've always felt that while Ohio St. pumps out a lot of pros, rarely do any of them live up to their pre-draft expectations.

Want to see a truly impressive list of mediocre players? Check this out... http://espn.go.com/nfl/college/_/letter/o

Seems my hunch has been confirmed.

Do not draft this dude.

Chad Toporski's picture

March 03, 2011 at 03:42 pm

I don't know that you really confirmed your suspicions with that list.

There are enough good to really good players on there to debunk a claim that Ohio State players in general don't live up to expectations.

You'd really have to compare the percentage of players that come out of each college. Because I'm sure the ratio of great players to mediocre players is fairly low anywhere you look.

PkrNboro's picture

Kenny who?

Wiscokid's picture

March 03, 2011 at 06:55 pm

Exactly

PackRat's picture

March 03, 2011 at 07:56 pm

So, which school has "the best" pros currently in the NFL? Tennessee looks good. Others?

STANISLAW's picture

March 03, 2011 at 08:42 pm

Actually it was Pat Kirwan for NFL.com who got the Harrell pick right. No one even had Harrell in the 1st round - he's got connections.

asshalo's picture

March 03, 2011 at 11:48 pm

Gotta smirk reading this. Players are people too.