Gut Reactions: Packers barely survive against the worst team in the league

Aaron gives his Gut Reactions to Green Bay's win over the Panthers

• Welcome back Aaron Jones
  • Welcome to the gig Bo Melton.
  • Joe Barry gave me hope with how he opened with some man but quickly devolved to standard operating procedure
  • And no, Joe Barry isn't getting fired yet.
  • Why does Matt LaFleur make everything as difficult as possible?
  • Glad the Doubs catch stood as called. He worked hard for that.
  • By the way. how about Jordan Love putting his nuts on the table with that throw?
  • Good to see Carlson bounce back from an early miss with two big time kicks.
  • Tucker Kraft is a baller.
  • Good to see Walker go the distance at left tackle.
  • I know a lot of people will say the Packers didn't deserve to win and that may be true. But as Clint Eastwood said in Unofrgiven, "Deserves got nothing to do with it."

PLEASE SUBSCRIBE TO OUR CHEESEHEAD NATION WEEKLY NEWSLETTER HERE.

__________________________

ottscay's picture

December 24, 2023 at 03:32 pm

If you don't fire Joe Berry after the last month, how can LaFleur ever look a player in the eye again when talking about accountability?

brenner's picture

December 24, 2023 at 03:35 pm

Giving up 30 points to a horrible offense like that is pathetic. I didn't turn on the game until halftime and just knew Barry was gonna do everything in his power to let them back in the game.

NickPerry's picture

December 24, 2023 at 04:36 pm

I fell asleep just after the Packers went up 30-14 in the 4th quarter. The game was over when I woke up so I quickly rewinded the game and watched Joe Barry's defense go to work.

Wow...Just wow!

Personally I'm shocked they had TWO calls go their way. I thought for sure the pass to Doubs would be called incomplete, but for once the Packers got the call. Once again I have NO IDEA WTF a catch is again. Because by definition, THAT wasn't a catch, at least IMO but I'm glad it stuck.

19 seconds...No timeouts...ALMOST a problem.

I know IF the Packers make the playoffs SOMEHOW I'll be happy for them. It really would be an achievement. Something Rodgers DIDN'T do in his first year starting OR last season. But in NO WAY do I want to see them play the Cowboys IN Dallas where the Cowboy's are an offensive juggernaut this season, or play in Philly. I think I like the better draft position and getting to the offseason a bit FASTER to find a NEW DC!!

Swisch's picture

December 24, 2023 at 03:44 pm

Wow, ottscay, that comment about accountability really hits the target!
It's almost a crime to keep Barry, and definitely an injustice that threatens to undermine the entire team.

Vachio's picture

December 24, 2023 at 03:59 pm

I'd would absolutely LOVE to see a reporter asking him that question. I know they won't, but I would love to see it.

December 24, 2023 at 03:32 pm

Did Wicks return/finish the game?

10 QB hits. I bet Young was under pressure over 50% of the time. GB allowed 2 QB hits and 1 sack.

December 24, 2023 at 03:34 pm

No- Chest injury.

Turophile's picture

December 24, 2023 at 04:31 pm

i'm betting he did a floating rib. Such a shame.

Leatherhead's picture

December 24, 2023 at 04:25 pm

I've read through 40 or so comments here, and this is one of the few comments that actually implies the Packers did something good. It seems most people, for one reason or another, are unhappy.

It makes everything about this Christmas better....the food, the drink,the attitude...everything. We scored 33 points, and this is the offense that I've been waiting for all season. I thought we'd hit 30 or better on a regular basis, and it's made me want to pull my short hairs out when we kept going 3 and out and losing games to the Broncos and Raider we could have won both if we just scored 20.

Anyway, on the road, without Watson or Musgraves or Reed, with Jones and Dillon both less than 100%, with Walker playing LT, we scored 33 points. Stuff like that makes me happy.

We did get pressure and hits on the QB. If the coverage had been good enough to make him double pump,or hold onto it an extra 0.2 seconds, we'd have had a bunch of sacks today. Credit to Young for unloading the rock. Discredit to the pass coverage.

IMO, neither of the guys we started at Safety today are starting safety caliber. It's probably OK have them on the field for some snaps, but not the whole game, and not together. This is less than ideal, but it's what we've got.

It was good to see Alexander and Stokes in the lineup; now, it would be nice if they could play well enough next week, because that's a really important game and if they play well, it helps.

I like Wicks a lot, and Reed. Doubs was the preferred target today and he's improved on his rookie year. Watson is going to have to show he can stay on the field. If he can manage that, along with Musgrave and Kraft, we're going to have a good passing offense. We're already in the Top 5 for passing TDs this year,and I don't see us doing worse next year.

Anyway, a great present today. Time for cookies and milk. Merry Christmas.

Turophile's picture

December 24, 2023 at 04:32 pm

For all the faults of the team............33 points man.

However, those 3 man rushes at the end were just painful. Grow a pair and call a play that takes it to them.

PS Bo Melton !
PPS We look like we have a really nice duo at TE now.
Lots of P's and an S When do we get to the point when an OT isn't the first round draft pick - are we there already, with Rasheed Walker ?

PeteK's picture

December 24, 2023 at 06:08 pm

Yeah offense was solid today except in the 4th quarter when the O line missed too many blks. Jenkins looked lost on a few running plays.

BAMABADGER's picture

December 24, 2023 at 09:13 pm

"We gave up 30, which makes it one of our worst defensive showings of the season. And it's not like the offense was failing to protect the ball or score points. And it was such an important game, so I'd make it 2nd worst to Tampa Bay. Officially put me on board the "we need a change" at defensive coordinator."

LH, for the past three years you have been very loyal regarding the D. You coming on board for a change speaks volumes to the mess of our D coaching staff, Welcome on board.

Now if SH would make a positive statement on the quality of our starting QB. He is long over due for an apology to JL and Gute.

NickPerry's picture

December 25, 2023 at 03:40 am

"And it was such an important game, so I'd make it 2nd worst to Tampa Bay. Officially put me on board the "we need a change" at defensive coordinator."

So you're telling me you weren't "Officially" on board with getting a new DC until after today?

I'm sorry but HOW is that even possible LH?

Leatherhead's picture

December 25, 2023 at 10:27 am

Because up until the last few weeks, I felt like the defense was keeping games close enough to win, and they were. They hovered around 10th in scoring defense. Nobody was going over 25 on them., and half the teams we faced weren't going over 20, and IMO, you've got a chance to win if you can protect the ball and get something done on offense.

Then there is the question of ' who are you replacing him with?' I'm not a guy who thinks you can take Fred off the street and have him improve the defense on the first day. Bisaccia? Some guy not currently working in the NFL for another team?

And there was an acknowledgment on my part that no matter who you bring in, until you can get guys like Alexander and Stokes and Savage healthy and on the field, you're going to be playing with Day 3 rookies and UDFAs in the secondary.

And, of course, we're still in the playoff hunt, so like a good doctor, you don't want to do anything that's going to make it worse. So all things considered, I am willing to let him serve out his contract.

The Tampa game was a watershed moment for me, because a team shouldn't look that bad on their homefield in December. They've had practices and film sessions and they shouldn't look like they just showed up.

This last game, against the Panthers.....we should rarely lose a game where we score over 30, especially when the offense has 0 turnovers. That's unacceptable, and it came too damn close to happening yesterday. You shouldn't see 14 point leads evaporate in the 4th quarter.

So I'm ready for a change, but it's going to be after this season. As the legendary Norman Dale said "This is our team". For better or worse, in victory or defeat, until the end of the season. Barry doesn't deserve to be thrown under the bus at this point, and in about a month we'll make the changes the club thinks are necessary. Barry won't be the only one.

Bitternotsour's picture

December 25, 2023 at 10:46 am

I wasn't onboard to change the coordinator because I think the problem is with the guy who hired him. I do believe MLF is an innovative offensive play designer, though he's recycling the work of Shanahan and McVay, but he's a piss-poor evaluator, he's suspect in his on field decisions, and he can't seem to get his offensive line issues corrected. He also hired this coordinator, and ostensibly is responsible for the scheme. Barry is a symptom of the disease, not the cause.

That said, they're in the playoff hunt STILL. If that isn't exciting for you, I'm really sorry. Don't for a minute think it doesn't matter to this amazingly young team. If they make the playoffs, all bets are off. I think Ted Thompson used to observe that you can't win a super bowl if you aren't in the playoffs.

LeotisHarris's picture

December 24, 2023 at 03:33 pm

Carolina’s Interim HC looks like he’s being held hostage, or at least deprived of daylight. I also suspect (need confirmation from Doug_In_Sandpoint) he cuts his own hair.

Three-man rush. Jebus Tapdancing Cripes!

It’s Christmas Eve, and I’m glad the Packers found a way not to lose to the worst team in the league.

So good of Joe to help Bryce Young gain some confidence after a pretty tough year. The true spirit of the season was on display by a highly questionable facsimile of a defensive coordinator.

Twelve men on the field on D cost us a timeout. SHM.

Remember, Vikings fans had to watch the LOLions mock them with their silly little SKOL clap in their very own glass wireless router-shaped stadium on Christmas eve. Ho Ho Ho!

17.5
3.5
Doug_In_Sandpoint's picture

December 24, 2023 at 03:36 pm

Leave my hair out of this. I’ve advanced from cutting my hair to “styling” it, anyway.

Houndog's picture

December 24, 2023 at 03:44 pm

Doug,
I've got a couple tubes of Brylcream left over from the 50's if you need it.

Ferrari-Driver's picture

December 25, 2023 at 08:40 am

Houndog, you got a chuckle out of me on that one. I order three tubes of Brylcreem about two months ago and it works great even today. My hair is fine and without some kind holding cream or hairspray, it blows all over the place in the breeze. Brylcreem works as well or better than the expensive stuff I was using previously. Thanks from all of us old times for the memory trip.

LeotisHarris's picture

December 24, 2023 at 03:48 pm

Finally pulled the trigger on a Flowbee?

Coach Cleve Steamer's picture

December 24, 2023 at 03:48 pm

He appears to have a waxy finish. Beige or pallid?

December 24, 2023 at 04:07 pm

"Watching that reality TV production ranks somewhere between a poke in the eye and a shot to the groin."

Are you talking an AFV type kick to the groin or a Tucker Kraft trying to leap over a TB defender shot to the groin?

LeotisHarris's picture

December 24, 2023 at 04:37 pm

A Kraft-like shot. Sweaty forehead. Nausea. The full range of unpleasantness.

4thand10's picture

December 24, 2023 at 05:03 pm

Well their last stadium I called the tent… and it was glorious to watch snow cave it in.😂. The new one I call the bird catcher/trap..

PeteK's picture

December 24, 2023 at 06:11 pm

Hilarious, Leo, I needed that after this game.

TKWorldWide's picture

December 25, 2023 at 10:05 am

I prefer a shot down the hatch over a shot to the groin. 😉 🥃

coolhand's picture

December 24, 2023 at 03:34 pm

It's a good thing the team had that talk this week or who knows how much they would have lost by. Great idea by Coach La Pew.

13TimeChamps's picture

December 24, 2023 at 03:34 pm

That 4th quarter defense was hard to watch. Yet everybody pretty much knew it was coming.

But against the worst team in the league? That's inexcusable.

If Barry had any balls, he would offer up his resignation after that fiasco and spare GB from firing him over the holidays.

Doug_In_Sandpoint's picture

December 24, 2023 at 03:34 pm

Why, why, why Aaron? Why can’t Joe B. be fired? I can’t take another 3 man rush when we need a stop.

brenner's picture

December 24, 2023 at 03:41 pm

Or 2 down lineman on the 2pt conversion... I don't care if they consider edge guys lineman it's still a light box.

4thand10's picture

December 24, 2023 at 05:11 pm

This Brenner. Exactly This… When you have Brooks and Wooden on the Roster and Ford sitting on the practice squad… its just fkn mind boggling

brenner's picture

December 24, 2023 at 11:36 pm

I think the corners were 3 or 4 yards off too... all of these corners were drafted to play press man and yet they never do...

CheesedDeadHead's picture

December 24, 2023 at 03:37 pm

There's a lot of good young players on this team. I just hope they don't waste it on a coaching staff that would be better at manning a circular firing squad.

marpag1's picture

December 24, 2023 at 03:37 pm

Main Takeaway: Jordan Love still looks like the real deal, just learning the ropes a bit. When these receivers and TEs get a little experience, this offense is going to get very interesting. Offense still needs to be more consistent. The 3 three-and-outs in the second half did a lot to keep this close. An NFL-level defense would help, too.

Coldworld's picture

December 24, 2023 at 03:44 pm

The second half offensive calling played a massive role in setting that up. Kraft and Melton vanished, no ambition, just sat back and left it to Barry. Barry’s D played as if the last two games taught him or LaFleur nothing. Ridiculous. Those two both need to go.

Gman1976's picture

December 24, 2023 at 03:39 pm

"Why does Matt Lafleur make everything as difficult as possible?" Because he isn't growing as a leader and as a coach? Because he won't fire failing coaches and move fast enough from players who aren't making the grade? Because he is not the type of coach whose ingame decisions will make a winning difference again and again? Because Packer leadership (Murphy? ) refuse to hold him accountable? Because his plans for the Packers make failing teams look like great teams?

TarynsEyes's picture

December 24, 2023 at 03:39 pm

What's to say other than the same that is said week after week.

There's really no point to do a player selection as the Good, Bad, Ugly will do that chore.

The Offense looked good against a bad team, and the Defense looked not as good, but kind of expected, against another bad Offense with a rookie QB. 300+ passing yards, 2 TD's, and a big comeback.

I'm glad I watched it on the big screen, though.

Swisch's picture

December 24, 2023 at 03:41 pm

After watching Joe Barry almost cost us another game with his baffling three-man rush at the end, I went out to walk our Dobie, Max, with the hope that Barry would be fired by the time I got back.
Is this possibly his worst game ever as defensive coordinator?

Lphill's picture

December 24, 2023 at 03:46 pm

Who the hell would down vote this comment?

Johnblood27's picture

December 25, 2023 at 07:36 am

some people just do not like Dobermans

coolhand's picture

December 24, 2023 at 03:49 pm

Coach La Pew is again sticking up for dingle barry in his post game presser

December 24, 2023 at 03:51 pm

The two 3-and-outs in the fourth quarter (and the one to open the second half) were nearly killers.

Vachio's picture

December 24, 2023 at 03:57 pm

I feel like the Giants game was worse than this one from a defense perspective. But it's gotta be in his bottom 5 worst performances.

Tundraboy's picture

December 24, 2023 at 03:58 pm

I watched the opening series, saw the roughing the kicker penalty give Carolina the ball right back and decided work would be more enjoyable today.

cdoemel's picture

December 24, 2023 at 05:20 pm

Lafleur can’t fire him! The Lefleur family and the Barry family are having Christmas dinner together!

CheesedDeadHead's picture

December 24, 2023 at 05:32 pm

"Is this possibly his worst game ever as defensive coordinator?"

I don't know because there are so many to choose from.

Mr_Bill_H's picture

December 24, 2023 at 03:43 pm

.......or, It could be said that "the worst team in the league" luckily squeaked on out

Houndog's picture

December 24, 2023 at 03:49 pm

You might have something there, but I've got to "look at the film". It could be a "pad level problem".

PackfanNY's picture

December 24, 2023 at 03:45 pm

The good news is I think we have our QB.

Bad news We don’t have a Defense.

White92's picture

December 24, 2023 at 03:47 pm

Same as it ever was

Tundraboy's picture

December 24, 2023 at 03:58 pm

Bad news 2. No coaching to go with it.

NickPerry's picture

December 25, 2023 at 03:42 am

Exactly TB...None at all!

Tundraboy's picture

December 25, 2023 at 02:46 pm

Just so unlike any Packer staff I've ever known other than maybe Linfante. The Packers are not just Lombardi, but to this era he might as well have been, but he would be furious with the organization top to bottom.

4thand10's picture

December 24, 2023 at 05:15 pm

Thats been the story for decades now. Its like fkn groundhog day. And LaFluer knowing this… its like “hey… stck and extra lineman in place of a TE and run the ball” a few plays to keep said crap defense off the field .

4thand10's picture

December 24, 2023 at 05:16 pm

Not the players… as this is all coaching

cdoemel's picture

December 24, 2023 at 05:24 pm

We definitely have a defense! A good defense that is being horribly mismanaged and misused. And they probably all have piss poor attitudes at this point from not being allowed to play!!

Lphill's picture

December 24, 2023 at 03:45 pm

Just disgusting , no way the Packers win the next 2 games a solid season by Love being overshadowed by Joe Barry.

Handsback's picture

December 24, 2023 at 03:46 pm

Wow, just wow. No way should the Panthers had tied that game in the 4th qtr.
This game went into the win column, but not sure that the Packers team feels like it.
I'm afraid the players are going to revolt if something doesn't change.
JMHO

White92's picture

December 24, 2023 at 03:46 pm

Terrible challenge and a waste of a timeout with 12 men on the field. I don't know how anyone defends MLF. He might be a good OC or QB coach.

GVPacker's picture

December 24, 2023 at 03:48 pm

Leave It to Joe Barry to make Bryce Young look like Tommy Devito!

Houndog's picture

December 24, 2023 at 03:51 pm

And Tommy DeVito look like Tom Brady

Vachio's picture

December 24, 2023 at 03:54 pm

Well played! Well played, indeed!

December 24, 2023 at 03:49 pm

A win is a win, but this was agonizing.

Vikings will hang 40 on this team next week, and that's WITH Mullens/Dobbs chucking up 3 picks.

With all the pass-catchers who are hurt, I'm updating my resume.

LeotisHarris's picture

December 24, 2023 at 03:59 pm

Make sure to focus on your hammies, dobber. Get loose. Don't want to lose you on your first double move.

December 24, 2023 at 04:08 pm

I will definitely be focusing on the ham tomorrow.

Packer_Fan's picture

December 24, 2023 at 03:49 pm

Wasn't able to watch the game, so here are my gut reaction:
- Good offensive day. Very efficient.
- Love got another 4th quarter comeback. Good for us as fans.
- Tale of two coaching philosophies. One is Lafluer with the offense. Love and the young players have progressed. The other is Barry. At the end of the season, the defense is playing like crap. Three sub standard QB's play like all pro. I bet the players have lost confidence.

I just don't want Lafluer to lose his players. And then be messed up for next year. Fire Barry

cdoemel's picture

December 24, 2023 at 05:35 pm

If you didn’t watch the game, why are you commenting?

Packer_Fan's picture

December 24, 2023 at 07:13 pm

It doesn't mean that I didn't follow the game. I did. And it was easy to see the second half breakdown of the defense. Again.

Swisch's picture

December 24, 2023 at 03:51 pm

Is Barry fired yet?
There's no way the Packers keep him past tonight, even if it is Christmas Eve, right?
The idea of keeping Barry is beyond absurd, actually insane, and can't happen, can it?
What could LaFleur possibly offer in his defense this time around that wouldn't be utterly foolish?

SinceLombardi's picture

December 24, 2023 at 08:22 pm

He blamed the players again

SinceLombardi's picture

December 24, 2023 at 03:51 pm

This is a bad coaching staff.. Emphasis on staff. I would like to see them sneak into the playoffs as Minnesota is reeling . The experience would be good for a young team, but honestly.. does anyone really believe they will ever win anything significant with MLF in charge?

December 24, 2023 at 03:53 pm

As it stands right now, the Vikings and Packers are both out, and there are too many negative tie-breakers ahead of (or even with) the Packers to give them much hope.

marpag1's picture

December 24, 2023 at 04:24 pm

Not that I trust such things, but the NY Times playoff predictor thingee gives the Packers a 95% chance of making the playoffs if they win out.

Leatherhead's picture

December 24, 2023 at 05:35 pm

I saw that. Winning out would mean Minnesota loses again next week

Seattle could have helped by not rallying against Tennessee. The Vikings cooperated by losing.

Houndog's picture

December 24, 2023 at 03:54 pm

Let me be the first to vote, No!

Tundraboy's picture

December 24, 2023 at 04:02 pm

Not me.

Aldo's picture

December 24, 2023 at 05:40 pm

LeFleur must think Packer fans are idiots if he thinks we buy the nonsense he spews about Joe Barry's defense.

SinceLombardi's picture

December 24, 2023 at 08:25 pm

I agree with you.. but the bigger question is , does he care what his players think when he makes these ridiculous comments ? Evidently not.

Green Bay Shareholder's picture

December 24, 2023 at 03:52 pm

Was hoping this would be a game I could DVR and watch, given the team we were playing, since I was too busy to see it live. Nope, way better things to do for 3 hours based on everyone's comments. Thanks so much guys for your input !

Vachio's picture

December 24, 2023 at 03:53 pm

Bryce Young had the best game of his career. I am just as shocked as I can be. #goodbyejoe

White92's picture

December 24, 2023 at 03:58 pm

Turns out they can't play zone or man

13TimeChamps's picture

December 24, 2023 at 04:02 pm

For the most part, over the last 25 years or so, GB has been known more for their offense than defense. The 2010 defense was really good, but that's been more the exception than the norm.

This defense, over the last 3 games, might be the worst stretch since then. Tommy Devito...really? Baker Mayfield perfect passer rating...really? Bryce Young 312yds/2 TDs/113 passer rating...really?

Mr. Lefleur...your call. Please be a HC.

Starrbrite's picture

December 24, 2023 at 06:10 pm

Yes—preach it!

SinceLombardi's picture

December 24, 2023 at 08:26 pm

He’s not a HC.. the cracks were showing last year. Now it’s impossible to hide

ricky's picture

December 24, 2023 at 04:08 pm

When all is said and done, and teams make the playoffs because of their record, no one looks at a close win or loss and goes, "Doesn't count". But what really puzzled me was at the end of the game, when Love showed he could thread a needle, and move the team when they were in a tough position, they get near the 15-yard-line, and it was all runs. Not even an attempt to Melton, or Doubs or Kraft? Did LaFleur really believe the defense was going to hold a three point lead, even with only seconds on the clock? Seriously, this is concerning. How bad was that call? Before the game, my wife asked me if there was anything she could do for me. I said, "How about fixing the Packers defense?" Her response: "Sorry, I can't do miracles." As it is, if the Doubs catch hadn't been challenged, the Panthers get a chance to tie the game, after the defense lets them move into FG range. And, as predicted, it was another game where a terrible offense suddenly looked like the "Greatest Show on Turf".

December 24, 2023 at 04:12 pm

Someone needed to do the calculus to figure out how much time a kick would leave on the clock.

Even then, you'd think 19 seconds and the ball on the 25 with no TOs would be pretty safe...

Swisch's picture

December 24, 2023 at 05:29 pm

ricky, Love could fake a handoff and roll out to the right on one of those three running plays, look for an open receiver, and slide down inbounds if there isn't one.

cdoemel's picture

December 24, 2023 at 05:39 pm

Exactly!

A New Era's picture

December 24, 2023 at 04:09 pm

I'll take the W but it feels more like a loss.

Barry's defense is chillingly inept. What seemed to be a comfortable 14 point lead quickly dissipated in the fourth quarter and then with 19 seconds left and the Panthers with no timeouts, they got 43 yards in two plays and were a second away from a potential FG to send the game to overtime. Barry did his best but was a whisker short of notching three straight defensive disasters in a row!

December 24, 2023 at 04:12 pm

Remember that Piniero missed two PATs.

jlc1's picture

December 24, 2023 at 05:57 pm

Chillingly inept? Barry has this forum on FIRE! Burn his playbook. Send him to the South Pole.

splitpea1's picture

December 24, 2023 at 04:12 pm

Ah, finally, that big game from Aaron Jones that we've all been waiting for.

We were lucky to win with the combination of some those offensive calls in the second half and the usual JB defense. I thought for sure the refs would put a second on the clock at the end, but mercifully, no.

A big thank you to Josh Deguara for recovering that Doubs fumble.

So here is that Bo Melton person that I've been hearing a few fans talk about for a year. Welcome aboard.

Sure enough, Joe Barry made Bryce Young look like a very good NFL quarterback. We actually did a good job on Hubbard, though.

Bad job by the officials for a roughing call on McDuffie's sack. What's the problem?

Rarefied air for the Panthers scoring 30 points--a first for them this season. But since we won, I hope everyone, including all the Packers' coaches, can enjoy their Christmas a little more.

@Kumps76's picture

December 24, 2023 at 04:16 pm

Great points on Walker, Kraft, and Love settin’ his nuts right there on the table. The offense is gelling and things are coming together as planned, later in the season. Barry did his best, as always, to let Carolina steal this W that MLF’s offense had done more than their part to earn. I see a lot about firing/not firing Barry but that point is moot, he will be gone when his contract expires in January when the regular season or a playoff run ends. I believe win or lose, playoffs or not, MLF and the rest of the team (especially the defense), are already thinking about the potential of the ‘24 season with a new defensive coordinator and the energy that could (should) bring with *keyword ‘Complimentary’ defensive schemes that play to the strengths of players vs. forcing players to conform to the style of play in said scheme. I believe MLF decided not to fire Barry heading into this year because he was playing with house money for a year and figured maybe Joe had something figured out late last year and perhaps he could carry that into this year. It didn’t happen, and so now rather than firing Barry and promoting an interim DC with all that mess…just let him fizzle out till the end of his contract in a couple of weeks—I’ve got zero problem with that. This team might still make the playoffs, and they’ve exceeded most ‘expert’ expectations already…but the biggest decision and season yet for MLF lies in the very near future with securing a quality, energetic, scheme flexible and innovative DC who can connect with players, communicate with players, and most importantly bring the very best out of those chess pieces they’ve been gifted (see: 7 or 8?? 1st rd picks). If MLF knocks it out of the park on the next DC, we could be watching this team in a nice playoff run next year, with ‘25 and ‘26 being peak years for a Championship window opening….especially if Gute’s next two drafts are looking like his ‘23 haul. I for one, am very happy to know I’ll be watching the last two games of Packer football that Joe Barry will be wearing green and gold and calling plays, and somehow despite all that we’re still in meaningful games and still have a shot at the playoffs (which would just be gravy). ‘24 is already looking bright

December 24, 2023 at 04:19 pm

It's gonna be Staley.

croatpackfan's picture

December 24, 2023 at 05:07 pm

Same sh*t.

All D running by DC coordinators that came from LA Rams championship season are 22th to 29th ranked. Is there the difference between 22th and 29th rank? They need to change the D system! Not just to change DC.

White92's picture

December 24, 2023 at 07:04 pm

lol. That would be classic

SinceLombardi's picture

December 24, 2023 at 08:32 pm

Considering MLF is 0 -for his career in picking assistants… I shudder to think who it might be.

jannes bjornson's picture

December 25, 2023 at 08:48 am

He can pack up along with Barry. Why give him a choice?

WD's picture

December 24, 2023 at 04:23 pm

I thought the offense looked really good considering our two top receivers were out. It was nice to see Bo Melton in the mix. He is the logical replacement to stretch the defense when Watson is down. Moreover, Kraft continues to impress. Even the O-line has been looking a lot better of late. I really thought we looked a lot better on defense than the score indicated. Especially in the first half. In the second half both offense and defense seemed to breakdown. I thought the secondary was overall much better than the debacle against the Giants This was the first time Jaire and Stokes played together in over a year. Soooo.... no such thing as an ugly win. With the Vikings losing we are still in the hunt. We will either finish 9-8 or or 8-9. I don't think anyone predicted that as a sure thing at the beginning of the season.

Packak's picture

December 24, 2023 at 04:28 pm

Hear me out: the game was basically an ideal result.

Love and the offense looked good again, though obviously still a work in progress. The game winning drive was good to see.

Meanwhile, I think this game deals Barry’s fate as DC.

@Kumps76's picture

December 24, 2023 at 04:34 pm

I agree, but I think Barry’s fate was already sealed…this game just solidified that rationale and added some exclamation points at the end of it.

Aldo's picture

December 24, 2023 at 04:28 pm

Feckless MLF keeps an incompetent Joe Barry on staff. Where is the Packer brass on this? Enough is enough, or maybe the incompetence goes all the way up the chain of command?

Leatherhead's picture

December 24, 2023 at 05:42 pm

There's an old expression that you shouldn't change horses in the middle of the stream, but not enough people cross streams with horses to understand that you should not make big changes in the middle of things. Too many things can go wrong and it's easier and better to wait until there's no chance that you'll fall into the water and hit your head on a rock, so to speak.

I'm pretty sure that Barry will not return next year, and I'm pretty sure there's nobody better who's available right now, all things considered.

On the road at Minnesota, at home against Chicago. We're going to find out where we rank in the division. If we win both games, we're probably in the playoffs.

Bitternotsour's picture

December 24, 2023 at 08:48 pm

They need to win two. If they do, they deserve to be in the playoffs. I think that's a real possibility. The Vikings suck. I mean they really, really suck. Also, those uniforms.

The Bears, well, they are after all the Bears.

After all that, who knows. Jordan Love looks to me like Gute deserves exec of the year...

Jared's picture

December 24, 2023 at 09:20 pm

I’m not quite sure why we are so obsessed with the playoffs. I think it’s bad enough that we are seen on regional tv much less playing like crap for a national audience. You said the viqueens suck, have you watched the GB Packers the last 3 games!!

Bitternotsour's picture

December 25, 2023 at 09:58 am

Youngest team in the league, hiccups will happen. I think we're poorly coached, but the Vikings, their suckitude is in their very DNA. It's imprinted. Their fans suck, their stadium is a bird killing tragedy, and those uniforms belong in the USFL. It was hilarious watching the LIONS mock their fans with that Icelandic soccer clap (could you come up with something original some day?)

So OK, we get regional coverage until Sunday night when we elevate the Vikings to a national stage. After the godforsaken purple are dispensed with the Bears game gets national attention because it's the entry point to the playoffs. Our coaching staff will still be bad, but the Vikings, they will suck for eternity.

White92's picture

December 24, 2023 at 07:09 pm

Sadly I think you are right about the incompetence all the way up. As much as I like some of the young talent on the roster now, the current front office put them in this terrible position to begin with. If they somehow sneak into the playoffs, the house cleaning will be further delayed.

jlc1's picture

December 24, 2023 at 04:33 pm

3 weeks in a row personal or season best performances for the opposing offense. What is going to take, Jefferson going for 250?

Jared's picture

December 24, 2023 at 09:21 pm

There’s no way we can hold JJ to 250 yards or did you mean in the first half??

Wenis's picture

December 24, 2023 at 05:07 pm

Does anybody really expect things to change?. There is no accountability for anyone in this entire organization top to bottom.

MLF and Barry should be fired right fkn now. LaFeur has no idea how to close out a game. We had a nice lead at the half and what does he do ? He turtles up like he is terrified and starts playing martyball.

If we haven't figured it out now it's apparent Lafleur is in way over his head and was carried by our former QB the past 4 years.

MLF and Barry must go.

White92's picture

December 24, 2023 at 07:13 pm

I'm right with you. The evidence against MLF has piled up to the ceiling, but all I hear is "the record, the record".

The only reservation I'd have is changing the offensive scheme for Love. I've seen the Bears do this time and time again and absolutely ruin their QBs.

golfpacker1's picture

December 24, 2023 at 05:22 pm

Do any of our defensive coaches have defensive coordinator experience? I know Jerry Gray did and it would be nice to still have him with the team. Who could take over id Barry gets fired tomorrow?

Swisch's picture

December 24, 2023 at 05:35 pm

Good question, golf.
There's gotta be someone, somewhere, somehow to replace Barry.
There doesn't have to be a major change to the defense in the final two games, just a better utilization of our players -- and no three-man rushes.
It's actually cruel to have to face the final two games of this season with his gut-wrenching incompetency.

White92's picture

December 24, 2023 at 07:14 pm

I've seen Al Harris's name thrown out there. That would be interesting.

LeotisHarris's picture

December 24, 2023 at 05:41 pm

Here are all of the Packers coaches. You can read a bio on most of them by clicking on their photo. You'll find a wealth of inexperience on both sides of the ball, and positions awarded via promotion within the organization.

CheesedDeadHead's picture

December 24, 2023 at 05:54 pm

Any coach left would be better in the 2 remaining games and after the last 3 games you wouldn't ever know if they were worse.

JR10242001's picture

December 24, 2023 at 06:08 pm

Did Lafleur pay off the reporters in the press conference to not ask a single question about Joe Barry and his inept defense allowing yet another sub par quarterback to look like a HOF'er?

Starrbrite's picture

December 24, 2023 at 06:26 pm

I asked myself why I was angry after a win and it is of course fothe same reason y’all are citing—I don’t have to say it.
…and 19 seconds remaining and nearly tied…again!
Oh —Merry Christmas y’all—-I really like the folks on this site.
Too many to mention here but I will mention a few of my favorites.
NickPerry
Croat
Pasty
Dragon
…and many more

Swisch's picture

December 24, 2023 at 09:55 pm

Thank you so very much, Starrbrite, and a very Merry Christmas to you!

Johnblood27's picture

December 25, 2023 at 07:50 am

LOL, Coldwater... classic!

CW, you have been renamed.

Jgilmor08's picture

December 24, 2023 at 08:30 pm

I think everyone is forgetting the Packers were playing against one of the top coaches in the league…. What, their coach was fired during the season? Well I’m sure Carolinas young squad has been putting points on the board like crazy! That was the most they scored all season?! Well isn’t their QB a quality veteran who always produces in the clutch? He’s a rookie?!! Yeah it’s time to Fire his ass. The only thing at this point Barry is good for is improving Green Bays draft pick.

nedone's picture

December 24, 2023 at 10:11 pm

"That was definitely frustrating. But it wasn't just on the defense. Offensively, you've got to give them a breather, especially if we're bleeding a little bit defensively," said LaFleur. What? Bleeding a LITTLE BIT? I believe Barry cut a major artery 3 years ago and Packer fans say he's bled out; time for Barry to go! This team is going to be fun next year if management does the right thing and hires a quality DC and defensive staff.

CheeseEdWest2's picture

December 25, 2023 at 08:55 am

I believe JB when he says he's doing the best HE can. But.... If you look at the situation with blinders on, say focusing on the fact that we won more games than many people expected, and only look at the positives of the offense and close your eyes when the defense is on the field until it's over, maybe you could believe we're doing okay. When you get outside of the 1265 media bubble and look at how the D is functioning when compared to a good defense, take SF for example, how can you justify staying the course? Let's be honest in "self-scouting" Mr. LF. Is another year, or another contract, going to change anything? Will a pussy cat change its stripes? Methinks JB should have quietly exited stage left and Gray made DC, and not the reverse.

golfpacker1's picture

December 26, 2023 at 09:05 am

Didn't Jerry Gray leave because of Joe Barry. I would love to have him on the team right now as he had 2 multi year stints as an NFL D-Coordinator.

golfpacker1's picture

December 27, 2023 at 05:12 pm

I just read that Mike Zimmer wants a DC job again. The Packers need to be proactive and shitcan Barry now. When a defensive coach as good as Zimmer becomes available and your team has an obvious UNIVERSE sized hole in the coaching staff, you go get him now. He could dive right in and get his feet wet in the last 2 games. A huge step in the right direction for the Packers.