Gut Reactions: More of the same from a bad Packers team

Aaron gives his gut reactions to another Packers loss.

• Pretty much at the point where I'm just drinking beer, watching ball and hoping to see a big play during the inevitable second half comeback.
  • This team can't beat anybody but themselves.
  • Drops and penalties killed them on offense today.
  • In fact penalties killed them in general.
  • This just doesn't look like a well coached team in any phase.
  • The Packers have the worst 4th down defense in the league because teams know they can get into 4th and short very easily.
  • Brief shining moment getting Yosh in there and then he gets hurt. Of course.
  • Jaire is a shell of what he should be.
  • Seriously guys. Catch the fucking ball.
  • Struggling with things to say when we see the same shit week after week after week.
  • After the media leaves at the start of practice, I'm convinced they all have a good a laugh and say to each other "They think we practice!"
  • I wonder what kind of assurances Brian and Matt got from Murphy at the start of the year. "Look guys, I know this year is going to be rough. This is a two year process and no matter how bad it gets this season, you're both back next year." It's literally the only explanation for how this roster was constructed and how its being coached.
  • I told my girlfriend I'm not going to shave until the Packers win again. I'm going to look like David Letterman
  • Go Pack.

13TimeChamps's picture

October 29, 2023 at 03:34 pm

This offense just seems beyond fixable. I mean, where do you even start? Inaccurate QB, WRs dropping catchable balls, an Oline that's just bad, horrible game plans that never change or evolve.

Is it 2024 yet?

13TimeChamps's picture

October 29, 2023 at 03:49 pm

Normally I never care about thumbs down. But I'm really curious to the 3...at this point...please tell me what's inaccurate about what I posted. Please enlighten me.

bjkdad44's picture

October 29, 2023 at 03:56 pm

I gave you a huge thumbs up… because you hit the proverbial nail on the proverbial head!!!

bjkdad44's picture

October 29, 2023 at 03:57 pm

And people say the Bears suck?????

Cwilly's picture

October 29, 2023 at 03:57 pm

Cuz you bashed the qb. Your not drinking the kool aid and see what the team is and the inept management. Rodgers which I hate to say made up for the lack of talent and coaching on this team. I agree with you but this is how things are going to be the rest of the year till we clean house and find a qb that can actually qb!

Packerpasty's picture

October 29, 2023 at 05:02 pm

just homers who wont take off the green and gold glasses...they know the truth just wont accept it..

barutanseijin's picture

October 29, 2023 at 06:11 pm

QB inaccuracy wasn’t the issue today. Love hit alot of guys in the hands.

MainePackFan's picture

October 29, 2023 at 06:57 pm

He did, and then he didn't. Let's be honest, every facet of this team sucks right now, including Jordan Love.

October 29, 2023 at 07:54 pm

He did. He also missed some. I would say that his play is not the primary team weakness.

October 29, 2023 at 11:42 pm

It certainly wasn’t today

jjbathgate66's picture

October 29, 2023 at 04:12 pm

The offensive line is junk, not setup to play this kind of football. Play calling is horrible, Love has no idea back there takes forever to get rid of the ball. He winds up and that's his first fault. No decision making on his part pundits had it right. Not the answer there is no middle of the field passing game, short useless passes and then throws bombs that have no chance of completions. Blow it up while you still can, I haven't even mentioned the D coordinator, just can't dial up a 3rd down scheme. Opposition is automatic on third down. These guys who are up for contract renewal guess what do something on the field then we will talk, Gary and Love sorry your games don't warrant an extension at this point. No question heartless bunch close to worst team in league definitely the worst coaching staff. 3-14 is certainly in the cards.

October 29, 2023 at 08:00 pm

"Love has no idea back there takes forever to get rid of the ball."

That's more inacurrate than his throwing. He got rid of it quickly several times, and even strung a few positive plays together like that.

He takes deep shots that aren't there. He shouldn't try threading needles. The middle of the field was in play and that has mostly disappeared. That could be coaches adjusting to excessive interceptions, but we're not privy to what's going on there.

I didn't see Tucker Kraft get his chance today. I'm not sure Musgrave was really ready to go. Ja certainly didn't appear to be.

Do we know anything about Nijman's injury tonight?

Grandfathered's picture

October 29, 2023 at 05:22 pm

I gave you a down because the offense is fixable if they can stop dumb penalties and if they can execute, but mostly because I'm tired of people who said at the beginning of the year "we have to excpect a bad season from a young team" and now get upset when it happens. Not you personally

13TimeChamps's picture

October 29, 2023 at 08:20 pm

I was among those who said the W/L record this year was secondary to seeing incremental improvement to show the team is on the right track moving forward.

I'm not necessarily upset with our record. I'm upset because there has been no discernable improvement week to week. Quite the opposite actually. It's week 7 and we had more penalties than points. Another 1st half coming out flat and unprepared and completely wasted, hoping for a 2nd half miracle.

I hope you're right this offense is fixable. Not sure what you're basing that on to be honest.

NFLfan's picture

October 29, 2023 at 10:48 pm

Comments need to be stamped & sent to:

1265 Lombardi Ave.
Green Bay,
Wisconsin

It's not enough to preach to the choir.

Barnacle's picture

October 30, 2023 at 06:50 am

Management’s strategic plan………..

1) Draft great athletes(not great college players).

2) Hire cheap(unproven) managers, coaches and coordinators.

3) Pay huge guanteed money to old injury prone pre retirees.

4) Allow young 4th year athletes who now understand how to play pro football go to another team to demonstrate there value.

5) Do not punish incompetence and hurt some millionaire’s feelings.

Cwilly's picture

October 29, 2023 at 03:34 pm

Yes drops are a problem but our qb has no awareness whatsoever. He can’t hit anyone over 20 yards downfield. And the qb runs on 3rd and 4th an long are embarrassing. I just hope we clean house so with our top 5 pick we actually hit a playmaker that can change this team. Maybe we get one of those blue chip qbs. If not a real difference maker that could propel this team for the future. I just don’t want Gute being that guy with the pick or it will be a waste.

October 29, 2023 at 03:47 pm

This shit show is HIS production. Clark and A.Jones the only standing players left from Ted's reign.

Cwilly's picture

October 29, 2023 at 03:59 pm

Yep your right but hopefully we start with a new slate next year to rectify this organizational mess in Green Bay!

barutanseijin's picture

October 29, 2023 at 06:22 pm

It does seem like every Packer was overdrafted, even the 7th rounders.

Gutekunst is a TT protege. Nothing has changed in terms of draft philosophy. TT loved to draft physical specimens, just like Gutekunst. That’s how the Packers ended up with JAGs like Mike Neal.

Celise...'s picture

October 29, 2023 at 09:36 pm

i still say this shit show is mark murphys! there is a reason he took full control of football operations back 4 or 5 years ago and it wasn't to let the decisions be made by just the gm. gutey is nothing more than the fall guy and until full control is given back to the gm just like harlan did when he took over we will not have a winning team. no different than jones in dallas

Basileus P's picture

October 29, 2023 at 07:31 pm

Agreed. This is Brian Gutekunst's team. LaFleur is an average coach at best. Every team in the NFL has talent, but not every team has a good coaching staff.

NickPerry's picture

October 29, 2023 at 03:34 pm

There's just nothing to say other than... This is a horrible team. A horrible coaching staff. Horrible efforts even from the veterans.

#WHAT A JOKE #PAINFULL #FIRE THEM ALL

bjkdad44's picture

October 29, 2023 at 04:00 pm

Couldn’t agree with you more!!!

bjkdad44's picture

October 29, 2023 at 04:01 pm

2-15. Should be enough for a 1st pick of the draft… TYANK anyone?

kozmo's picture

October 29, 2023 at 04:58 pm

they aren't picking a qb if they get that pick

October 29, 2023 at 08:04 pm

Marvin Harrison Jr can change a whole team.

Packerpasty's picture

October 29, 2023 at 05:04 pm

start trading, except who will this management pick with the draft picks??

RobinsonDavis's picture

October 29, 2023 at 03:35 pm

I want a new stat. Offensive penalty yards + opportunity yards lost due to drops.

October 29, 2023 at 04:24 pm

I believed they flashed that stat during the game.
Stating the packers are the most penalized team this year.

PeteK's picture

October 30, 2023 at 10:41 am

Could be as Buffalo and Niners have 55 to our 52, we played one less game . However, we won the prize this week.

October 29, 2023 at 03:35 pm

Exactly. The same game each week. It’s time to let LaFleur go. He’s clearly got no idea and not do his coaches. Love was not the problem either. He looks better let loose than whatever out first halves are. He’s more Favre and perhaps we need yo accept it. The only receiver that didn’t drop a sitter(s) at a key moment was Toure. I don’t think he was targeted.

I think we have finally seen the Nijman isn’t an upgrade disproven. Now shift Myers out for Tom and try to stem the obvious and get the run going. Stenovich simply can’t be allowed to make personnel decisions. If we want to run it we can’t allow him to continue.

The D was not the issue today really, but it showed why it’s never the hero. The secondary were as bad as the front was good on D. Typical Barry. Stop one, melt on the other.

CUT THE EQUIVOCATION: LAFLEUR SHOULD BE GONE TONIGHT IF THIS IS A FUNCTIONING ORGANIZATION.

Cwilly's picture

October 29, 2023 at 03:38 pm

D played well for being on the field the whole game. Now the offense is another story. Bad qb play and drops didn’t help today. And to play the d we did and still do nothing speaks volumes to the direction this team offensively is going. I can’t stand Rodgers but he sure made up for the lack of talent on offense and even old and inaccurate played better than Love.

coolhand's picture

October 29, 2023 at 03:47 pm

barryball was terrible on 3rd down. How many 3rd and long did they give up? It was a disaster, just not as bad as the offense

October 29, 2023 at 03:48 pm

The D gave up two long scoring drives, giving up 3rd and long yardage plays along the way.

barutanseijin's picture

October 29, 2023 at 06:27 pm

If you look at Love’s stat line, it’s pretty much like one of Rodgers from last year. There were bigger problems than Love.

MainePackFan's picture

October 29, 2023 at 07:15 pm

Soooo...Rodgers sucked last year and that was the problem. Love sucks this year and it's not a big problem. Got it.

October 29, 2023 at 11:46 pm

Did you really expect Love to carry this team this year? If so, that’s the problem. Rodgers could not in his historical good first year of what would become a hall of fame career. If you can’t see the cavernous hole in the logic of your response then you aren’t looking.

MainePackFan's picture

October 30, 2023 at 05:42 am

I never had expectations that Love could carry this team. I felt the the same last year regarding Rodgers. He was no longer capable of putting this team on his shoulders. QB play was a problem last year, and an even bigger problem this year.

We don't know at this point whether Love is the QB of the future. Hopefully he shows improvement going forward, but considering what the Packers invested, to say there are bigger problems than that would suggest a "cavernous hole in the logic of your response".
: )

PearlyBakerBest's picture

October 30, 2023 at 02:59 pm

You said I wasn’t worth reading for saying the exact same thing four months ago. Between you and that idiot poet wannabe Karyn, you two have got the hypocrisy covered for this site.

October 29, 2023 at 04:07 pm

Your so wrong. Love is the problem.
Go back and watch the game.

You had a bitch with Barry..
And that is the only reason MLF
should be fired.

Rushing two guys with all these drafted Rushers.
Is stupidity.

NickPerry's picture

October 29, 2023 at 05:15 pm

"Your so wrong. Love is the problem.
Go back and watch the game."

Go back and watch the game? Umm No offense SH but you done lost your mind if you think I'd watch THAT performance again!

And it's not all on Love. This team is NEVER ready to play. NEVER has a sound gameplan, and is ALWAYS outcoached.

White92's picture

October 29, 2023 at 06:18 pm

💯 even with Rodgers they would get out coached in big games.

October 29, 2023 at 07:06 pm

Fire whom you want. Love is the problem.

Bure9620's picture

October 29, 2023 at 05:28 pm

I can't disagree. I don't mind watching young players grow but holy crap. The whiffed blocks, blown coverages, poor routes, wrong routes, the penalties, the mistakes on every play. This is coaching. This is more MLF than Gutekunst.

White92's picture

October 29, 2023 at 06:22 pm

I dunno man. A team doesn't just "go young" on purpose. It's a result of bad drafting, bad development, and bad cap management. 2 of those 3 are on the GM.

October 29, 2023 at 08:10 pm

Not in this organizational structure they're not.

October 29, 2023 at 11:48 pm

Unless you count Murphy as GM. In the Harlen sense he is, self appointed.

White92's picture

October 29, 2023 at 06:22 pm

October 29, 2023 at 08:09 pm

I don't see Gutey as the problem. He did what he could with what he had. Every one of these players could be substantially better with competent coaching.

CanPackFan's picture

October 29, 2023 at 06:21 pm

Yup. And we've got Rich B ready to take over as an interim HC. But we know it won't happen. I think it's called Murphys Law lol!

Bitternotsour's picture

October 29, 2023 at 06:23 pm

Do you honestly want a CTE addled Mark Murphy picking the next Head Coach? Christ, I'd rather live with two years of LaFleur and failure than have Murphy saddling us with what he decides is our future.

If anyone gets fired it should be Murphy, short of firing Murphy, they should reestablish the GM as head of football operations and have everything running thru that office.

October 29, 2023 at 08:12 pm

Sir, this is the internet. You're not allowed to be that sensible.

Bitternotsour's picture

October 29, 2023 at 08:53 pm

I'll return to snark. I prefer it to sensibility.

Celise...'s picture

October 29, 2023 at 09:44 pm

couldn't agree more

NickPerry's picture

October 30, 2023 at 06:14 am

I agree but Murphy isn't going ANWHERE until July of 2025 when it's a mandatory. Perhaps the BOD could step in but aren't they all people Murphy has hand picked himself for the most part.

I've been saying it for a few years now. Murphy IS the problem, MLF is Murphy's guy. So was Gute. My biggest question is does EVERYBODY really suck this bad? Personally, IMO, I don't think so. But I've said from the day LaFleur was hired his staff is the Who's who of who the hell are you?

PearlyBakerBest's picture

October 29, 2023 at 03:35 pm

It’s like Vic said. You get what you emphasize. Although I’m not sure what that is. Such an undisciplined team.

packerbackerjim's picture

October 29, 2023 at 03:35 pm

Nags,you’re going to resemble Rip Van Winkle by the looks of it. GB is astute at finding numerous ways to lose.

dblbogey's picture

October 29, 2023 at 04:19 pm

Such negativity - I think if we added 3-4 really good offensive linemen, a true stud #1 receiver, and a young phenom at RB, this offense, under MLF, could be mediocre.

KKB's picture

October 29, 2023 at 04:21 pm

You will look like ZZ Top.

badaxed's picture

October 29, 2023 at 04:30 pm

More like ZZ Top look for nags

GoldenRetriever's picture

October 29, 2023 at 05:19 pm

But without the saving grace of the 20 year nap.

NickPerry's picture

October 29, 2023 at 03:36 pm

"I told my girlfriend I'm not going to shave until the Packers win again. I'm going to look like David Letterman. "

Get used to the beard. They won't win again this season. Carolina will BEAT them!

October 29, 2023 at 03:43 pm

As long as Love is the Qb.

Untylu1968's picture

October 29, 2023 at 03:47 pm

Love is a major issue, but the entire team is a shit show! I just walked out of Lambeau, and I've had better vibes leaving a funeral..

LambeauPlain's picture

October 30, 2023 at 11:53 am

My wife and I did too...early in the 4th. I NEVER boo the Packers and I was saddened by fans doing it with some of MLF's milquetoast play calls down by two TDs.

The best O player on the Packers had is barely included in MLF's game plan. Gutey may as well trade Jonesy since he can't fire the HC. But I expect MM would veto that too.

If the play calls this year resemble last year, I can see why AR changed the play in the huddle or pre snap so many times. Now MLF is demanding Love run what he calls...and the kid is doing just that...and giving MLF the results he seeks but never finds. MN DC Foles just destroyed MLF strategically and tactically. Foles could have been his DC. Wow...just wow.

On D, Barry again rushes 4, plays zone, and dares the Purple to pass on him. So they do and Cousins average 10 yards/pass and marches down the field into the end zone taking what is given. They barely exploiting the poorest run D in the NFL and just passed underneath. Just the same old stale, stubborn, ineffective Barry Ball. What did the Ugly Purple have...80 plays on offense?

Rebecca's picture

October 29, 2023 at 04:57 pm

He’s really unprepared but he takes the blame for being himself. All I heard this summer that Love was Ready but it’s LaFleur and his staff who worked with him and that’s not on. Love That’s on LaFleur. Love deserves the rest of the season if only for the experience. This is a mess for sure but we better accept it. Like the Lions fans and now Vikings fans owning the Lambeau Leap. Soft and spoiled after 30 years of mostly very competitive teams.

October 29, 2023 at 06:16 pm

Sorry, but when the breakdown is this all encompassing, he deserves nothing but the slam of the door behind him. Attitude may not make us good but it will make us better, now and for the future of those who do have talent.

October 29, 2023 at 06:34 pm

Love needs to work on his footwork. When they went more Air Raid, hurry up he did better as well as the Pack, but he has to hit Watson cleanly and the WRs have to hang on to the ball when he delivers it to their mitts. Five drops. The game plans in the first half of these games are putrid. No attacking, just reading. The O line iis ??

October 29, 2023 at 08:04 pm

Love is a bad QB. The footwork won't help.
He can't lead his receivers down field.
Can't you see the air and how they're waiting for the ball.?
I want him OUT-- Out - Out-
I'll take any rookie over him.

RobinsonDavis's picture

October 29, 2023 at 08:10 pm

Well stated. As an example, Jordan was short on the throw to a wide-open Doubs for about 15 yards, specifically because of mechanics. Our receivers at times couldn't catch a loaf of bread if was tossed to them during a famine. My son and I recall 7 drops...maybe more.

Davante dropped lots of balls during his first couple of years, but Rodgers had Jordy, James Jones, and Cobb to bail the Pack out at times. Love has basically 5 newbies. I origlnally questioned whether we really needed a veteran presence, but leadership is missing, minus our backs. We just don't have the cap for this imo. At this pace we have the #5 or 6 pick next year. Marvin Harrison, Jr.'s hands, look good to me.

October 29, 2023 at 09:33 pm

He will be gone by pick number two, or three.

bjkdad44's picture

October 29, 2023 at 04:05 pm

My prediction exactly

Lare's picture

October 29, 2023 at 03:36 pm

Definitely in the running for the #1 pick in the draft.

October 29, 2023 at 08:06 pm

Expect a trade down then up.
Then will burn that extra pick on a bust.

Since'61's picture

October 29, 2023 at 03:37 pm

Another poor and sloppy effort by the 2023 Packers. 11 Penalties, dropped passes, 4 sacks allowed, only 23 minutes TOP, etc.
Usually a blocked kick turns a game around and maybe even a season. But this Packers offense couldn't convert the opportunity or make anything out of recovering a viking fumble in the red zone after Cousins went out with an injury.
The team, especially the offense has become very difficult and very frustrating to watch. Once again only 11 touches for Aaron Jones. Why?
I agree with Nagler, there is just not much else to say week after week of poor and sloppy efforts by this Packers team particularly on the offense.
Where does this team go from here. Bring on the Rams. Thanks, Since '61

Lphill's picture

October 29, 2023 at 03:39 pm

I saw a stat that Jones only had 7 touches.

13TimeChamps's picture

October 29, 2023 at 03:58 pm

7 rushes plus 4 receptions equals 11 touches. Does that help?

Cwilly's picture

October 29, 2023 at 03:42 pm

Do you think after this season we should invest in another qb? I don’t see things getting better with Love under center. I’m fine playing him the rest of the year but I don’t think he’s going to be able to overcome his accuracy issues and awareness on the field.

Untylu1968's picture

October 29, 2023 at 03:51 pm

We need to get back to the ron wolf way, and draft a QB every year. You just never know where you might find a gem.

Packerfansupreme's picture

October 29, 2023 at 05:43 pm

I think we are seeing the slow death of the ron wolf tree
I think we need a more modern approach to roster building

barutanseijin's picture

October 29, 2023 at 06:32 pm

Dorsey is in Detroit. They seem to be doing OK. Schneider is still shrewd as ever. I think it’s the TT branch of the tree that’s withering.

October 29, 2023 at 03:51 pm

Invest in a new GM.

October 29, 2023 at 04:33 pm

Murphy made this, but that’s too much to hope for

October 29, 2023 at 06:01 pm

He didn't select these Players. There is no defense of Gute, now. The trees are are exposed. I have no defense for Murphy dating to the Favre retirement fiasco, the Coverup regarding Ted's health, or his usurption of power with the Silage Committee. Now is the time for a total renewal.

October 29, 2023 at 06:27 pm

He hired both LaFleur and Gute. They both report to him. In his own words, his structure means he bears ultimate responsibility, indeed that was one of his big justifications. Gute maybe many things, but the coaches and their dysfunction are not his doing.

Since'61's picture

October 29, 2023 at 05:58 pm

Cwilly - I think that it's too soon to judge Love. When Rodgers was traded and Love was named the starting QB I said that we need to give him 2 seasons. I still believe that's fair especially given the fact that how poorly the OL has played so far this season and the lack of experience in the receiving corps. Another factor is the coaching, specifically the lack of touches for Jones and the number of penalties.

Having said that I do think the Packers should draft another QB in the 2024 draft especially if they end with a top 10 pick. But let's see how how the rest of this season goes first. Thanks, Since '61

MainePackFan's picture

October 30, 2023 at 07:54 am

" I think that it's too soon to judge Love."

Since'61. I would say it's fair to judge Love's play up to this point as less than encouraging, but I agree that it's too early to judge whether or not he can make the adjustments to become a viable NFL QB. That remains to be seen. Hopefully we start to see the growth that, thus far, has been sorely lacking.

bjkdad44's picture

October 29, 2023 at 04:07 pm

The presser question should be…. Why no Jones… and when will you’all begone(coaches)… name me one coach that is doing his job!!! (Most likely you can’t… and definitely won’t!)

Lphill's picture

October 29, 2023 at 03:38 pm

Aaron Jones 7 carries says it all , before the season began the thought was leaning on the run to take the pressure off Love , that’s not what it looks like now.

kozmo's picture

October 29, 2023 at 04:02 pm

you cant run the ball when your in 3rd and 20.....thoae penalties are killer.....and the drops just WOW
And Love is not the problem. I also think he will start hitting those deep shots

bjkdad44's picture

October 29, 2023 at 04:08 pm

He hasn’t been close on those “long shots”…

barutanseijin's picture

October 29, 2023 at 06:37 pm

You see only what you have decided you will see. That’s why you missed the drops on longer throws.

October 29, 2023 at 08:20 pm

That's because the O line can't run block. And our "best 5" have never been on the field.

gkarl's picture

October 29, 2023 at 03:39 pm

Well the Packers are at least consistent. Consistently bad and poorly coached.

October 29, 2023 at 08:21 pm

Continuity, it's our identity.

Packerfansupreme's picture

October 29, 2023 at 03:40 pm

I really hope Gutey, lafleur, steno, and berry are all gone next season

NJ-RICK's picture

October 29, 2023 at 04:04 pm

Thank You, I've been saying that since last season. Need to make significant changes in the Front Office. I have already written off this season, but I don't want to see these idiots in the front office come draft day 2024. Poor drafting and lack of free agent acquisitions. And then throw in the fact that the team is in salary cap hell for the next two years. FIRE MGT now...!!!!!

White92's picture

October 29, 2023 at 06:27 pm

Couldn't agree more. I was saying this before the season started. Folks here said experience is overrated, MLF is a great coach because of his record, and this was a 10 win or division winning team. Ha

Packerlifer's picture

October 29, 2023 at 06:04 pm

Don’t get your hope up. The Packers will stand pat in 2024, promising things will get better and citing the 3 13 wins seasons as capital for MLF & Gutey. If they don’t win next year Murphy will not want to pull the plug in the year he’s retiring. A new ceo probably won’t feel comfortable tearing up the football operation in his first year. So that means they’ll be here in 2025.

So don’t expect any big change till 2026 at earliest, if time proves that to warranted. See the Packers history prior to Lombardi and the Bengtson, Devine, Starr and Gregg years for examples. 😔

bullsa21's picture

October 29, 2023 at 06:23 pm

Remember it was Murphy s call to hire MLF. His silos needed to get in line or else! Time to fire Murphy!

Packerlifer's picture

October 29, 2023 at 07:07 pm

Won’t happen. Doesn’t do nothing to chant for it. Like opening with a 2 yd pass to Musgrave.

GoldenRetriever's picture

October 29, 2023 at 11:31 pm

Murphy should simply retire.

Grandfathered's picture

October 29, 2023 at 06:48 pm

Are you not entertained? ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?

LeotisHarris's picture

October 29, 2023 at 07:42 pm

Is. This. Not. Why. You. Are. Here?

October 29, 2023 at 08:22 pm

Why Gutey? He's done a good job with what he had to work with.

NickPerry's picture

October 29, 2023 at 03:41 pm

It's time to let LaFleur go, hire Rich Bisaccia as the intern HC because well, there's NO BODY else and that should tell you EVERYTHING you need to know about the ineptitude of this entire staff.

LOL...I wonder if Steno still thinks Josh Meyers is playing the best ball of his career?

Fucking whole coaching staff are PUTZS!

bjkdad44's picture

October 29, 2023 at 04:09 pm

See my above comment!

coolhand's picture

October 29, 2023 at 05:39 pm

Did you see Myers missed block in the first series on 3rd and short where he just lunged forward and the defender slipped it and made the tackle for a loss?

October 29, 2023 at 08:23 pm

Yup. It was painful.

Packerfansupreme's picture

October 29, 2023 at 05:46 pm

Right about Steno
I couldnt believe he said that about Josh myers
Steno is either insane, or flat out lying

MooPack's picture

October 29, 2023 at 03:44 pm

Packers assistant coach - "We need to work on QB/WR pass/catch timing, placement, in stride, contested balls for hours, every week for the rest of the year."

Packers head coach - "That's just silly. My behind the line schemes are all we need. Besides, we have the 2nd half of games to practice that after we get behind."

October 29, 2023 at 03:57 pm

None of these guys have a basketball background.
Their more a Jennings then a Adams.
Regardless they will regress with Love at QB.
Until he improves his accuracy.
There is No hope for this team-

MooPack's picture

October 29, 2023 at 03:59 pm

Yes, Love needs to improve accuracy. No dispute. But we both saw receivers muffing pass after pass that hits them in the hands. No dispute.

October 29, 2023 at 08:25 pm

What assistant coach said that?

pacman's picture

October 29, 2023 at 03:46 pm

I don't know much about being a head coach but apparently MLF doesn't either. This team is truly an embarrassment to the franchise.

Yes, there were a lot of drops today but there were also a lot of bad throws.
Receivers can improve (remember Davantes 2nd year) but I don't think Love will
improve much. There's just a natural feel to throwing the ball that he does not have.
I don't think you can teach that or fix it.

The DL was a bit better today but the OL was not.
Bring back McCarthy. At least they basically played fundamental football then.
(Did I actually say that?)

Another sad day in GB. How can they stand this?

snowdog's picture

October 30, 2023 at 05:58 pm

Pad level

atundraman's picture

October 29, 2023 at 03:50 pm

I think a lot of this comes back to Gutey.
His devotion to the almighty RAS is why we have so many under-performing high pick players. They look great on paper but we need football players not experts at the 3 cone shuttle.
It also seems that the high RAS players tend to be injury-prone.

Finally, I am tempted to break out the brown paper bag under the cheesehead for the game against the Rams.

PackerBO's picture

October 29, 2023 at 04:11 pm

Well said!!! Football is a physical game played by men, and DAD helps but not always.

PackerBO's picture

October 29, 2023 at 04:12 pm

Ras not dad

LeotisHarris's picture

October 29, 2023 at 07:52 pm

"DAD" works pretty well, though. Just off the top of my head we have Kyle Shanahan, Sean McVay, Nathaniel Hackett, Klint Kubiak, Klay Kubiak, Brain and Steve Belichick, Pete Carrol's sons, Andy Reid's son, Zac Taylor and on and on...

White92's picture

October 29, 2023 at 06:33 pm

I was suspicious since his first draft when he took a punter and a long snapper

barutanseijin's picture

October 29, 2023 at 06:40 pm

A bad punter and bad long snapper at that. WTF?

October 29, 2023 at 08:29 pm

Coaching is necessary for the develop part of draft and develop. We don't have a.competent coach. (RB & Tom Clements are possible exceptions)

October 29, 2023 at 03:52 pm

Sorry guys I don't see a poorly called game.
I see a QB that can't hit his Wrs or Tes.
Show me one play to them that their not waiting.
turning around or jumping for the Ball.

Jordan Love leads his RBs- Thats a Given.
And he can lead a guy within 5 yards.
But he can't throw the timed route.
He's screwed any WR that wants the ball.

It was said Reggie White wanted to come to GB
Because of #4 and God told him too.
Well Nobody is going to come to GB because of Love.
In Fact I now believe Adams left
because there was No future with Love.
Show me one play !! Just one!!!

kozmo's picture

October 29, 2023 at 04:03 pm

what about the drops....Loves fault?

edp1959's picture

October 29, 2023 at 04:11 pm

There were 40 drops last year, most in the NFL. But it was Rodger’s fault.

October 29, 2023 at 04:15 pm

Ok lets look at the drops-
Jump ball to Watson. - In a crowd?
The takeaway from Reed. - He was waiting!
Every WR is doing a button Hook. Reaching back or waiting.
Lets go on-
The only properly thrown Ball was a drop to Wicks.
And he might have thought it was going to be low.
Low unless down the middle.

kozmo's picture

October 29, 2023 at 09:54 pm

ya know I was watching highlights of the games today and there these receivers who caught the balll.....tough catches.....there were like 12 drops....the ball to jones was perfect...the ball to Musgrave...perfect. Look you dont like Love, fine....but I would think you should really be pised about 8 penalties in the first half. Hows a good holding call to kill a drive. I disagree.....by the way how many picks did Payton manning throw his first year as a starter?....28.....I wonder jowmany folks were calling for his head? Give it time

BruceC1960's picture

October 29, 2023 at 04:07 pm

Do you ever stop? We get it you don’t like Jordan Love. We get it.

October 29, 2023 at 04:19 pm

I Love the GB packers more.
If you don't want to see it.
This team is going back
to the hard times.
Show me one play, just one with timing.
Where the ball was properly thrown and caught!!

October 29, 2023 at 07:21 pm

The two high points to Watson hit his hands. He has to strong hand the nut ,just like Reed's. The whiffs to Doubs and Watson in the 4th Qtr comeback are inexcuseable. He is a long strider and needs to watch Brady's film to learn the shuffle. Purdy didn't look too hot under pressure today vs the Striped Cats and he has Kittle, Aiyuk and McCafferty. LaFleur doesn't do him any favors with the Play Selection opening these games. Face it, the O line would scare the hell out of Rodgers.

October 29, 2023 at 08:15 pm

I want Love gone.
But your right about the OL.
Still- Loves timing is terrible.
I wish I could see your point.
But the zero for points is my point.
That isn't leadership
He just not accurate enough,
to waste anymore time on him.

October 29, 2023 at 09:51 pm

He should be better at the Game at this point in his career, given 3-1/2 years in the system. Steve Young went to Walsh and Holmgren's tutelage.when he sat behind Montana. Farve had Mariucci and Andy Reid. Big Difference with this clown operation guiding Love. Red flag for me was not having him on the game day actives during the covid year.
LaFleur is in way over his head w/out Rodgers helping hand. Love is his guy. He went all gaga along with Gutey to bag him over Hurts. His accuracy is tepid on routine tosses and on a line for others, Holmgren had conniption fits with Favre, remember?

Packerpasty's picture

October 29, 2023 at 05:10 pm

well he's right though...he has a right to his opinion just like you..

October 29, 2023 at 06:20 pm

He has that right but the right to voice is accompanied the right to assess and respond, including to ridicule where appropriate. It’s not the right to be right, only to opine.

October 29, 2023 at 08:31 pm

It's called OCD.

October 29, 2023 at 04:56 pm

Watch an every-pass breakdown of Jordan Love by JT O'sullivan if you want an accurate and fair assessment of his play (or any QB's play, for that matter.)

Spoiler alert: Your assessment of Love is not even close to accurate.

October 29, 2023 at 07:08 pm

Thumbs down guy(s): Watch the breakdowns. Just watch the every-pass breakdowns.

(Edited to pluralize "guy", since there's now 3 people who would rather just bitch and complain about Love than get an educated, insightful, and thorough review of his play from an ex-NFL QB who puts in the work and explains the nuance of every single pass play.)

October 30, 2023 at 04:56 pm

Oppy- I wasn't bitching about the routes. Turn arounds.
The point was the accuracy and timing of Love.
He's not spot -on. The Wrs are making to many adjustments.
And even Reynaldo commented on the late timing to Reed.
My point was their not on target and always late!
You can't keep blaming everyone when the Zeros keep coming.

October 30, 2023 at 06:34 pm

Watch the breakdowns. While it's not 100% consistency yet (of course), one of the things that repeatedly comes up is well placed throws and great timing getting the ball out with anticipation before the WR is into his break. Yes, other times, the placement is not what you want and sometimes he needs to get the ball out earlier- that all comes with PT on the field with your receivers over time.

LeotisHarris's picture

October 29, 2023 at 08:02 pm

This is a really solid reply to anyone who's interested in QB play. O'Sullivan is honest in his assessments of all the QBs he reviews. I'd post a link, but CHTV got angry that I was spamming last time I tried so, check YouTube for JT O'Sullivan QB School.

It's great stuff, very informative in a fun presentation style. Or, you could continually post J0rDaN LovE Is Bad anD caN"T THrroW gooD and IS a LOOSER, ad nauseum. Life is all about choices.

October 29, 2023 at 10:09 pm

Leotis, you only get one link per article.
Doesn't matter if it's different, unique links.. Only one.

ALSO, if you attempt to EDIT the post in which you placed a link, it takes that as a second attempt to post a link, and it will fudge it all up.

LeotisHarris's picture

October 30, 2023 at 08:34 am

Thanks, Oppy

MainePackFan's picture

October 30, 2023 at 08:41 am

Oppy, I've watched most of them. I think overall he is a fan of the talent, but he is also very critical of Love's mechanics, pocket presence and decision making. He repeatedly criticizes Love for stepping up in the pocket when he isn't forced to do so. and for not getting the pass out on time. I wouldn't call it a ringing endorsement by JT, but it's certainly not the failure that stockerholder sees.

By the way, for what it's worth, he often praises the scheme and play calling of Lafleur ; )

October 30, 2023 at 06:36 pm

Maine, he praises the scheme and the plays.

That's a bit different than the play calling- and a far cry from the game planning.

As to the timing and the decision making- if you've been watching ALL the breakdowns- he calls the plays about 50/50 at this point- praising as much as wishing things were a bit better. It's what you expect from a first year starter.

MainePackFan's picture

October 31, 2023 at 05:58 pm

I would say 50/50 is pretty accurate regarding Love's performance.

October 30, 2023 at 06:37 pm

Want to add also, that Love's definitely been regressing as the OL play has become... what it is today. It's my #1 concern.

MainePackFan's picture

October 31, 2023 at 06:04 pm

Jordan will learn that he can make the o-line better by getting the ball out. He can't sit in the pocket for 5 seconds and take a sack on 2nd and 5. The o-line's issues are with run blocking more than pass blocking which in itself causes play action problems.

October 31, 2023 at 08:28 pm

He wasn't holding the ball the first 3-4 games of the season. He was delivering it on time.. Don't know what changed. Needs to get back to his earlier form.

MainePackFan's picture

November 01, 2023 at 05:10 am

I agree.

October 29, 2023 at 05:02 pm

You see what you choose. If you don’t see bad coaching, maybe you don’t see at all.

October 29, 2023 at 07:15 pm

I see a bad QB.
First MM with you .
Now MLF.
Keep waiting-
You'll get sick of the changes.

October 29, 2023 at 07:42 pm

Like Pittsburgh with Tomlin?

October 29, 2023 at 11:59 pm

I was not a fire MM guy, though I came to see it as inevitable but not in season. That Ball-gutted roster was the real issue I was pointing at back then.

I am very definitely, proudly, leafing the charge to get LaFleur out of town tonight, in season, just to change the whole lackadaisical attitude starting now.

October 29, 2023 at 05:04 pm

stop withe the Reggie stuff.

Reggie said God told him to sign with green bay.

Reggie mentioned after that fact, to play with Favre.

The reality? Reggie White went to the team that offered him the most money, and all the adults in the room knew that.

October 29, 2023 at 07:10 pm

No he was offered more-
The Reality is Love is not what the packers need.

October 29, 2023 at 07:31 pm

You either get a guy like Burrow every blue moon, or you play like the Ravens with Jackson. Cousins looks to be done for the season. Ten more Games to go with this O line. If Rodgers was the QB, he would end up on IR. If he wanted to trade up for a guy, he should of went all-in on Herbert.

October 29, 2023 at 08:19 pm

Yes- Trade for Herbert or don't draft one.
Remember when I said Hurts would be better than Love?

October 29, 2023 at 10:17 pm

Ron Wolf says it was about the money.

"The top offer came from the 49ers, who put together a five-year, $19.5 million package. But the final two years of the deal were not guaranteed. If White got hurt, San Francisco could cut him. He did not like that. The Packers’ offer was for four years, but it came with no such catch. It was also slightly richer, at $17.6 million, and included more up-front money than any other deal. White would get a $4.5 million signing bonus and $4.5 million his first year. In his second season, he would earn $3.1 million. If he signed with Green Bay, in other words, White would get more than 51 percent of his money in the first year, and more than 68 percent by the end of his second. The 49ers were hamstrung by restrictions on how much money they could offer up front because they had reached the 1992 NFC Championship Game. NFL rules dictated that the league’s top four teams could sign free agents only after they had lost one first, and that the salary had to be based on the deal signed by the departed free agent. San Francisco was offering a $4 million signing bonus, but only $4.4 million in salary over the first two years.

“As it came down to the end, it just came down to money,” says Wolf. “And we spent more money than anybody else.”"

October 30, 2023 at 06:39 pm

Just to clarify, as I re-read my comment and want to make sure it's not perceived as something it isn't: This is an excerpt from an article. The long paragraph is the work of the author; only the final quote is from Ron Wolf.

LeotisHarris's picture

October 29, 2023 at 03:53 pm

The OL play is unwatchable. Mike Wahle said when you have average talent as an athlete your technique needs to be perfect on every play in order to have a chance to win. These guys do not have a stable base from which they operate. Moving players = rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. They're lousy because they are allowed to be lousy, and coached to be lousy.

Drops. Penalties. Jesus Christ!

While I did see some more physicality and intensity from the Packers today, it was far outweighed by the stupidity; both players and coaches.

I don't think it's too early to give up on Matt LaFleur. Cut him loose.

Jordan love still gets an opportunity to improve in my world. He's not the problem.

October 29, 2023 at 04:00 pm

They will draft a LT.
And your seeing the stubbornness to get one.
Walker is No LT.

barutanseijin's picture

October 29, 2023 at 06:46 pm

Walker was a 7th rounder. Maybe he should have been a UDFA. He was another case of Gutekunst trying to be cute with his bargain shopping.

October 29, 2023 at 07:40 pm

Van Ness is your LT. His draft strategy is right out of "Chaos Theory for Dummies."

Guam's picture

October 29, 2023 at 05:03 pm

"...it was far outweighed by the stupidity:"

That was my take LH. The number of "mental error" penalties was inexcusable. The number of dropped passes was inexcusable. The number of Viking receivers running free in the secondary was inexcusable. There are players I am concerned about, but most of this is on the coaching staff. Poorly coached teams don't commit more penalties than points or first down in a half. Poorly coached teams try to run with the ball before catching it. Poorly coached teams don't drop eight into coverage and have a TE running free in the secondary.

This team plays like a high school team, not a professional team. Far too many basic and stupid mistakes.

How long will the front office tolerate this coaching disaster? IDK

October 29, 2023 at 07:41 pm

They made it....

RobinsonDavis's picture

October 29, 2023 at 08:44 pm

Agree with many of your points LeotisHarris! Do we need to have the Wonderlic or some type of football intelligence score against the RAS?? Just give me football players.

NitschkeFromTheGrave's picture

October 29, 2023 at 03:53 pm

Time To Clean House

October 29, 2023 at 04:01 pm

Start with Love first!

October 29, 2023 at 04:57 pm

Watch all of JT O'sullivan's Jordan Love game reviews.
You are not a good evaluator of talent.

October 29, 2023 at 07:17 pm

Garbage - Look at the stats in the first 1/2.

October 29, 2023 at 10:21 pm

If you are so certain, just watch the fucking videos and you can then call them garbage.

They aren't garbage, they're fantastically insightful, and, PS- you don't know what you're talking about when it comes to evaluating talent.

Do we have to talk about Davante Adams' not being a good WR because all his yards came after the catch again?

KKB's picture

October 29, 2023 at 04:26 pm

Flush those turds.

lkcsmith's picture

October 29, 2023 at 03:55 pm

Please no more of this "we are a young team" excuse. Look at their Jordan Addison, he's a rookie but he outplayed all the Packer receivers by a mile.

October 29, 2023 at 04:02 pm

He has a veteran QB that can lead him.

October 29, 2023 at 08:39 pm

Also, GB has always had a succession plan. There are no veterans to carry the Packer's way forward in too many positions.

Even that doesn't excuse the poor fundamentals.

RobinsonDavis's picture

October 29, 2023 at 08:46 pm

On Point!

edp1959's picture

October 29, 2023 at 03:55 pm

It’s OK don’t get discouraged, one of the so called experts on here predicted that Love would get 11 wins this season.

October 29, 2023 at 04:44 pm

Like most here, he underestimated just how badly this coaching staff would be exposed.

edp1959's picture

October 29, 2023 at 06:26 pm

Or maybe this expert and some others on here have no clue how to evaluate talent. This is the same coaching staff and defense as last year but that same group placed all the blame on one particular player on offense. It’s funny how the blame has now shifted. Yet, when anyone had these same concerns last year they were attacked.

October 30, 2023 at 12:27 am

Aaron Rodgers: A huge problem.

Bitternotsour's picture

October 29, 2023 at 05:00 pm

to be fair, no one imagined how inept the game plans would be, nor how unprepared the team is week-in and week-out.

edp1959's picture

October 29, 2023 at 06:29 pm

Don’t believe that is a fair assessment at all, especially when that same assessment was not allowed last year. The only assessment allowed then was to blame #12.

October 29, 2023 at 05:02 pm

I'll stick to 11-6 until the 7th loss, because you never know and I don't play revisionist history with my thoughts and predictions.

It's not the end of the world or unbearable for my ego to have been wrong.

That said.. Coldworld is correct. I absolutely underestimated how poorly coached this team is, which I stated a week or two ago. To consistently see the same mental mistakes/penalties week after week, and to consistently see the Packers come out with horrible game plans that seem to lack any direction- and to see both of the above after long weeks to prepare on top of it? Unbelievable.

Swisch's picture

October 29, 2023 at 04:05 pm

We can salvage something of this terrible slump in the next couple of days by doing something positive regarding personnel at the trade deadline -- perhaps a veteran wide receiver and/or a veteran offensive lineman -- or, as in addition by subtraction, possibly firing a coach.
It's always risky going with too much youth, and I wonder if our budding wide receivers even know their routes yet with any kind of competence.
Are pass catchers running wide open but Jordan Love is just not seeing them, or is throwing toward them inaccurately? Also, is Love getting the time from his blockers to make good throws?
***
I'm reluctant to give up on Jordan Love so soon unless he's really and truly totally inept. I highly doubt that.
Remember not only Bart Starr, but Steve Young, Vinny Testaverde, Doug Flutie, and Rich Gannon for perspective.
Even Jets QB Zach Wilson pulled off a clutch drive this afternoon.
It seems more likely that there's a coaching problem, or else a poor decision by upper management to go too heavily with youth.
***
We're miserable but not shocked about the Packers struggling this season, right?
I'm not okay with it, but can accept it.
Also, I'm not giving up on this season. Look at how the Vikings have turned things round.
If we get one wide receiver with some experience, and shore up the blocking, we can still get to .500 -- and maybe even nudge above it for a playoff spot.
Although I agree it's highly unlikely, it's possible, and we should try for it.
Last season we came back from a record of 4-8 to win four in a row, with an opportunity for the playoffs.
The Lombardi Packers struggled in the midst of his first season as head coach in 1959, then came on strong at the end.
***
It seems the talent is there.
If our guys are making stupid mistakes or just don't know what they're doing, perhaps it's time for Barry or LaFleur to go.
There's more than half a season to left.
Let's not quit.

October 29, 2023 at 04:45 pm

We salvage something by jettisoning LaFleur and changing the culture. Nothing else will change anything.

Swisch's picture

October 29, 2023 at 04:58 pm

You may be right, Coldworld.

Bitternotsour's picture

October 29, 2023 at 06:42 pm

there's no salvaging this season, that's just reactive panic. i'm unwilling to have Mark Murphy choosing the next coach. send mark to the league meetings and let him vote in lockstep with his betters. keep his hands off the football side of this team.

October 29, 2023 at 08:45 pm

Getting rid of Murphy might change quite a bit.

SinceLombardi's picture

October 29, 2023 at 04:45 pm

Are you kidding? This team is not fixable with one or two players. This is a mistake prone team, with no identity on offense or defense.
Team leaders like Alexander and Jones are either under utilized ( Jones) or living off past accolades ( Alexander).
It’s not a situation where a few plays cost the game… it’s entire halves that consist of no points and 30 yards.. throw in about a dozen penalties, some drops and questionable play calling and you have one answer:
Matt LaFluer. The problem and the answer to the problem. Nobody else can be judged properly, unless they are quitting.

Swisch's picture

October 29, 2023 at 05:08 pm

The Packers of 1958 were 1-10-1 and the laughingstock of the NFL.
Hornung was a first-round (top player taken in the 1957 draft) bust; Nitschke was a talented but seemingly unstable rookie; and Starr was practically invisible.
Lombardi turned things around pretty fast in 1959 to a record of 7-5, although even that team had a slump midseason.
Which is all to say that I'm okay with LaFleur leaving tomorrow.
I'm open to the more informed thoughts of SinceLombardi and Coldworld.
***
Even with a shakeup in coaching, it still may be good to get another couple of veteran players who could perhaps help bring out the best in our current crop of young guys.