Gut Reactions: Bears 24 Packers 17

Aaron's gut reactions from the Packers loss to the Bears.

• Congrats to the Chicago Bears on winning the NFC North.
  • Aaron Rodgers is getting paid a lot of money to miss wide open guys.
  • I thought Jason Spriggs held up a hell of a lot better than I expecte dhim to.
  • Great cacth from Cobb holding on after the big hit. Brutal drop prior to that. Overall, I though he played well.
  • Same story for Davante, Great catch up the sideline. Wish he could have hauled in the Hail Mary at the end of the half.
  • The Packers found a player in Lancaster.
  • I thought Jamaal Williams did good work in a game where he probably wasn't expecting to see a ton of action.
  • Great job by special teams sniffing out that fake punt.
  • Pity Rodgers and the offense pissed that gift away.
  • I hate that it took them until being down 10 in the 4th quarter to get to a hurry up offense. Did they seriously think that a traditional approach was the best way to attack this Bears defense? Just asinine.
  • I can't imagine how frusrating it is for Pettine to scheme up free rushers only to watch them dive at the QB's feet and miss him.
  • If nothing else, the big positive Packers fans can take away from this game is that Joe Philbin won't be the next head coach.
  • That Rodgers miss on the deep shot to MVS will haunt me all offseason.
  • I need a beer.
  • Go Pack.

ollie418's picture

December 16, 2018 at 03:23 pm

Groundhog Day - Play decent for 3 quarters and then fall apart in 4th! Wake me up when it's over! Oh, it's over now!

GBPDAN1's picture

December 16, 2018 at 03:39 pm

We were missing what, 14 starters and still only lost by one score on the road against these guys. Bears were basically healthy. We will kick their ass next year.

I say now that we are eliminated from the playoffs, let's start Kizer the last two games to see what we have at backup. If we lose those games, oh well, better draft picks, which is what we need

carlos's picture

December 16, 2018 at 04:24 pm

Any time I mention the Packers injuries over the years, yes, over the years, I get beat up on here. Why can’t we keep the majority of our players healthy. Is it our draft process? Bad luck? I’m probably wrong, but there is something amiss on this organization. I get injuries are on all teams and part of the game. I think I’m just venting. Ok, beat me up now. What a disappointing season.

carlos's picture

December 16, 2018 at 04:26 pm

I’m from Michigan and my team reminds me of the Lions. Ugh.

December 16, 2018 at 05:26 pm

This team is better than the Lions right now.

jlc1's picture

December 17, 2018 at 09:06 am

The Lions are that bad? I guess we will find out in a couple of weeks if you're right Dobber.

carlos's picture

December 16, 2018 at 05:02 pm

Quality of depth goes hand in hand with injuries also.

December 16, 2018 at 08:49 pm

I thought GB’s JayVees did pretty well against the division champs.
On the road, even.

December 16, 2018 at 09:41 pm

And a large order of fries and a chocolate shake.

packerfan9507's picture

February 13, 2019 at 01:15 am

Go Pack

ollie418's picture

December 16, 2018 at 03:28 pm

If I was head coach or front office and if my Defensive Coordinator rushed 3 they would be immediately fired on the spot. Find a ride home!

Pettine stinks too!

CAG123's picture

December 16, 2018 at 03:34 pm

Goodness irrational fans are worse than haters of the team Pettine did all he could with pretty much crumbs. Let’s not be ridiculous

ollie418's picture

December 16, 2018 at 04:30 pm

Not ridiculous. 3 man rush costs GB 3 first downs and a TD!

CAG123's picture

December 16, 2018 at 05:08 pm

Yeah I’m pretty sure constant pressure with other worldly talent like Gilbert and Looney would gotten the job done or did you want him to use CB and safety blitzes the whole game? The guy was playing with practice squad members and some guy I’m sure used to work at UPS.

December 16, 2018 at 03:36 pm

Pettine had no preferred DL starters today with Clark, Daniels and Wilkerson out. The outside pass rush is below average (to be charitable). It still took two very short fields in the 4th Q for the Bears to put the game away.

I'm all for going an entirely different direction for a HC next year. And all for letting him do as he pleases with the staff. But I would like to see it work out that Pettine stays right where he is now.

EddieLeeIvory's picture

December 16, 2018 at 05:24 pm

Yep. All 3 starters on our DL were out.
What else is new?

ollie418's picture

December 16, 2018 at 03:27 pm

Anyone notice how Williams could not run through the holes before they closed up? Jones would have.

Still, offense is so predictable. Fire Philbin now!

JimR_in_SoCal's picture

December 16, 2018 at 03:35 pm

Williams prefers to run up the backside of his blockers. ;^)

December 16, 2018 at 03:37 pm

That's why Williams is the backup and Jones is the starter. It sucked that Jones got hurt early but this is another case of mis-directed fire. Williams was not the problem today

JimR_in_SoCal's picture

December 16, 2018 at 03:42 pm

Yep. Backups aren't starters for a reason. And a makeshift OLine doesn't help matters.

aljohn_w@yahoo.com's picture

December 16, 2018 at 04:09 pm

Neither one is a starter in the NFL !

jeremyjjbrown's picture

December 16, 2018 at 03:42 pm

Williams does not have the vision Jones has. If he did he would be Adrian Peterson 2.0

PeteK's picture

December 16, 2018 at 06:42 pm

Nor quickness

Oppy's picture

December 16, 2018 at 07:59 pm

Tote the rock for 4.6 YPC and there's some ass clown complaining about it. Good lord.

Oppy's picture

December 16, 2018 at 08:02 pm

I just find it odd that nobody is mentioning that Aaron Jones only chalked up 2 YPC on his eight carries before going down, but for whatever reason, people want to bag on Williams who had a perfectly fine performance.

People don't observe events as they are, they just look for whatever affirms what they already "know".

Lare's picture

December 16, 2018 at 03:27 pm

This game is kind of a microcosm of the rest of the season- lots of chances but too many mistakes.

Time to reassess the rest of the season, might be best to sit some starters and see what we have as backups.

Let's get a new coaching staff in here and start turning this train wreck around.

December 16, 2018 at 04:18 pm

You don't want to go full-on, bench every starter since that turns into being over-matched as a unit on both sides of the ball. That's not a fair way to take a look at anybody.

They already are seeing backups play. Lucas Patrick and Jason Spriggs were the right side of the OL. ESB has moved past MVS. Aaron Jones getting hurt gave snaps to backups.

The DL was all backups. They mixed things up in the back 7 on defense, too.

8.5
3.5
LeotisHarris's picture

December 16, 2018 at 04:46 pm

I'm with you, Hank. I think the injury bug has given us a pretty good look at our backups this year, but Lare did use the word microcosm in his assessment so it carries more weight in the like/dislike world.

December 16, 2018 at 05:15 pm

Injuries alone should give us a nice look at the 2nd stringers and young guys. Not too many more guys I want on to see on offense, but I'd like to get a glance at Donnerson and Looney. I like what I've seen from Lancaster and don't mind Montravius and Tony Brown getting more snaps.

December 16, 2018 at 07:33 pm

Let’s suppose a guy was able to use the word ‘macrocosm’ in his comment. Would the ‘likes’ blot out the sun like the arrows in 300?

LeotisHarris's picture

December 16, 2018 at 09:21 pm

Dunno, TK. Do we have someone with a science background on the Board who could help? Do some ciphering and goes-in-tos on this?

2.5
0.5

December 16, 2018 at 09:42 pm

So far, there are 4!

Johnblood27's picture

December 17, 2018 at 02:16 am

I still remember my first macrocosm...

Doug_In_Sandpoint's picture

December 16, 2018 at 07:28 pm

I think ee would have been fine if we had just gotten a bit more out of Fadol Brown.

LeotisHarris's picture

December 16, 2018 at 09:18 pm

Fadol had a solo tackle, but a lot of people are saying he cuts his own hair. ::shrug::

Doug_In_Sandpoint's picture

December 16, 2018 at 11:58 pm

I knew I liked that guy.

croatpackfan's picture

December 16, 2018 at 03:28 pm

This season Aaron Rodgers is JAG...

He became addict to the Hail Mary throws... Those kind of throws are the only joy he has in the football game...

It looks like Mike McCarthy was not the main culprit of the season...

That INT was the result of stupid stubborn idea that Jimmy Graham has to get TD...

If I can I would call Aaron Nagler player of the game..

December 16, 2018 at 03:41 pm

When things go as badly as they have for the Packers this year, there is usually not a "main" culprit. Failure like this has many reasons. MM was one. He needed to go. And it was a good thing it happened when it did.

It gave them 4 weeks to gather data on other reasons for the failure before the task of correcting as many as possible begins in earnest. 2 down, 2 more to go.

GVPacker's picture

December 16, 2018 at 05:35 pm

Getting rid of Mike McCarthy was a giant step in the right direction and I'm optimistic about next season. I hope the new head coach will consider offering Mike Pettine the DC job. The only thing that frustrates me is the ridiculous number of injuries this team incurs each season. Is it bad luck or does the strength and conditioning personnel need to be put under a microscope!

Grandfathered's picture

December 16, 2018 at 06:08 pm

Agreed. It might be time for DR. Mckenzie to retire.

December 16, 2018 at 06:23 pm

I hope you said that sarcastically.

LeotisHarris's picture

December 16, 2018 at 09:38 pm

That's right dobber. It's time for the teeming masses to turn on Ol'Doc McKenzie cuz he done been doin' fancy newfangled medicine on them players. Babying them, too. All their plan-tar-faschism on their feet and whatnot. We knows 'bout all you can do is fix 'em up with a good poultice and soak them feet in real hot water. Hamstrings? Why Coach Lombard called *that* a sore leg and you played, dammit! Didn't need no DR to tell you what hurt.

This so-called DR needs to go. FIRE EVERYONE and replace them with hardworking people from Green Bay who know if they don't do the job (so we can feel like winners and buy new hats and t-shirts) they will be FIRED TOO. I hope Gute will find a DR who will do his doctoring for the love of doctoring, not just get a big paycheck like Fatty McKenzie and say "oh, you have a sore shoulder, you rest." NO. These primadonnas need to have their physical health ruined for life so I can feel better about my sad little world. I am so sick and tired of men in uniforms not winning games when I want them to win. I am fed up with men getting injured playing a violent game. FIRE THE DR!!!!!!!

December 16, 2018 at 07:36 pm

Putting the strength and conditioning people under a microscope is CRAZY!!

(They are way too big.)

pooch's picture

December 16, 2018 at 03:41 pm

They got Grahm for the redzone,should have had Mer. Lewis also in there

Altered Idol's picture

December 16, 2018 at 03:30 pm

The moment we all knew was coming has finally arrived. The last glimmer of hope for this season has been extinguished. This game was pretty much more of the same as it has been all season. Defense plays pretty well despite being banged up. Offense is just not up to scratch right now. Special teams slightly less awful than usual.

Its taken these past two seasons to see how much we've taken for granted. And its also become evident just how deficient the roster has become because Rodgers has been able to bail us out for years. Hopefully,change is a-coming.

There are reasons to be positive but its going to be a big off-season. Get it right and we could be contending next year. Get it wrong and we'll be mired in mediocrity, as has been the case for the past two seasons.

We've got some good pieces but we do not have a good team. We need to be ruthless, which I think Gute has shown he is willing to be. Last few games will be a chance for some players to show they deserve a shot to be here next season.

Go Pack Go.

Tarynfor12's picture

December 16, 2018 at 03:30 pm

One word describes this team...
' ROADKILL '

December 16, 2018 at 03:32 pm

That Rodgers miss on the deep shot to MVS will haunt me all offseason.
I need a beer. =. Make it two!

December 16, 2018 at 03:46 pm

How about throwing too far inside in the end zone to ESB? Turned 7 into 3. Throwing behind Graham on the pick was another 7 off the board.

I don't think Rodgers is washed up. But he better figure out how to get back to where he was. before next September because he's not going anywhere anytime soon. If he keeps playing like he has today, it won't matter how much they improve themselves this coming off season.

reefkeeper's picture

December 16, 2018 at 03:55 pm

Are you serious you obviously do not know squat about routes. QB makes the throw before cut is made. Receiver rounded the cut. Learn something before making stupid comments.

December 16, 2018 at 04:04 pm

You make excuses for Rodgers very well. His contract says that responsibility is on him, not the day 3 rookies. If he can't make up for them, why is he getting paid so much?

aljohn_w@yahoo.com's picture

December 16, 2018 at 04:14 pm

You are fed up with No. 12 ? Than freaking trade him and see what happens . You will see a lot of 3-13 ,2-14 seasons ahead . Wise up he has nothing but Adams to throw to and a terrible running game .

December 16, 2018 at 04:21 pm

I'm fed up with him playing so far below his standards. The fact is that 7-8-1 (the best result possible) is not all that far off 3-13.

But he can't be traded or cut. Apparently, he can't be criticized either. At least not without some people getting their panties in a wad.

December 16, 2018 at 05:30 pm

Agreed. There's SB contenders, playoff teams, and non-playoff teams. We all know where the Packers fall as of today.

Since'61's picture

December 16, 2018 at 05:38 pm

Hank - Rodgers has played hurt all season. Even the announcers commented on it today. Add in the facts that the OL has been porous all season, a weak ground game, no TE and one legit NFL WR what do you expect. He’s one of the few NFL players on the roster and when he doesn’t play perfectly we lose. End of story. Thanks, Since ‘61

Oppy's picture

December 16, 2018 at 10:04 pm

The Packers haven't had a weak ground game at all in 2018.

Packers Facts:
Rush Yards per Game: 21st in NFL
Rushing Attempts per Game: 30th in NFL (Three way tie for least in NFL)
Yards per Carry: 2nd in NFL

What we have is either an organization or a QB that refuses to call/execute plays that take advantage of our strengths. in 2018, our strengths included the run game. And no team in the NFL executed fewer run plays.

UNACCEPTABLE.

Yet, here we are, talking about the Packers weak ground game.
Simply not the case.

jlc1's picture

December 17, 2018 at 09:15 am

And last year the 3 headed backfield yielded more yards per touch than Le'Veon Bell yielded. So what did MM do when he revamped the offense this year. Go for more home run throws. MM said that is what they were trying to do. ARod might have liked the idea too, but the lousy concept is not on him. So, yes, let's see if the new coach takes advantage of a great QB AND a solid run game.

Oppy's picture

December 17, 2018 at 07:36 pm

Sorry, not buying the lack of running was on MM.
MM has consistently talked about more rushing attempts for years.

When Rodgers went down last season, magically, rushing attempts went up significantly.

Rodgers has been very specific with his language this season, too- often saying he thinks we need to get the running backs "more involved" or Jones needs to get "more touches", but he consistently has stopped short of saying that the Packers need to "Run the ball" more, or that he needs to "hand off" to the RBs more frequently.

A QB is going to want to pass the ball all the time. When the QB is allowed to change any play at any time, he's probably going to want to pass it more than the coach would like.

reefkeeper's picture

December 16, 2018 at 04:18 pm

I do not make excuses for anyone but I am smart enough to know how a route is supposed to be ran.

December 16, 2018 at 04:22 pm

And the route is supposed to be run closer to the Safety help?

bigGuy's picture

December 16, 2018 at 11:01 pm

Even Rodgers said it was a fine route and a bad throw. So think someone doesn’t have a clue what he’s talking about Another it’s not Rodgers fault fan.

edp1959's picture

December 17, 2018 at 06:23 am

Bull shit

LeotisHarris's picture

December 17, 2018 at 08:23 am

Good fit

December 17, 2018 at 11:47 am

My pit

NickPerry's picture

December 16, 2018 at 04:03 pm

I think Rodgers needs to really take a hard look at his play and maybe what he does in the offseason to get better and re-commit himself to the game. He wasn't great in 2015 and much of 2016. This year he's been very average the entire season. Mew thinks he's listening to all the hype about being the GOAT. Has anyone else noticed NO ONE is saying that anymore?

He needs some help and it's not all on him. He needs another "Go To" WR a TE not in his 30's, and at least a new RG and RT. Maybe a coaching change and MVS, St. Brown, and Kumerow to go with Adams and Aaron Jones will be enough but you can NEVER have to much talent.

December 16, 2018 at 07:39 pm

I think these comments often reflect too much talent.

PeteK's picture

December 16, 2018 at 06:48 pm

Lets hope it's because of nagging injuries and the season being over, but I agree , he did not look sharp today. I'm also getting tired of all the annoying laughing and faces.

December 16, 2018 at 03:49 pm

Tim Boyle's specialty as a passer is his ability to throw deep balls hitting the receiver in perfect stride. I guarantee you Boyle hits MVS for a td on that play. I would honestly hope Green Bay can get Boyle some real playing time now that we are out of contention. They'll play Kizer first but I hope the two can time share the qb duties and sit Rodgers. No need for Rodgers to be playing the rest of the season.

Since'61's picture

December 16, 2018 at 05:43 pm

Since Boyle has never taken a snap in an NFL game how can you possibly say what he can or can’t do? I don’t mind playing him at this point but remember the final 2 games will be glorified preseason games for opponents as well.

So whatever happens it really won’t show us much more than a preseason game. But with Keizer or Boyle playing we can probably get enough film for a new edition of NFL Follies. Thanks, Since ‘61

Cwilly's picture

December 16, 2018 at 06:19 pm

Your the only rational person I’ve read comments from today. Sports writers like naglerand other fans just want to blame Rodgers for it all. He hasn’t been great this year but still better then 75 percent of qbs in the league. If people want him traded he’ll be the one holding a super bowl and laughing at his old franchise. Rodgers collarbone has affected his accuracy and maybe another year to heal could help his arm. Besides that he doesn’t have the talent around him and has a lot of overpaid players that are homegrown talent so got paid a ridiculous amount to play. This franchises lack of risk has caused the demise of this team. Other teams go after it while green bay keeps their draft capital and money every year.

LeotisHarris's picture

December 16, 2018 at 06:41 pm

I for one don't want to see Aaron holding a super bowl and laughing at his old franchise.

December 16, 2018 at 08:26 pm

And I for two.

aljohn_w@yahoo.com's picture

December 17, 2018 at 03:06 pm

Amen Cwilly exactly ! You'll get a lot of dislikes for what you have said but as we all no the truth hurts and is hard to swallow . The organization is the problem .

December 16, 2018 at 08:46 pm

Since 61, I happen to have a great skill at predicting qb's. I was one of the few in the world that said Aaron Rodgers would be a hall of famer before taking his first snap in the NFL. I wanted to move on from Favre much earlier to play Rodgers. Now I am saying the same thing with Rodgers as I did with Favre and fortunately I am predicting we have found our future star quarterback in Tim Boyle. I also believe he's headed to Canton but we need to get this guy on the field. He's actually more talented than Aaron Rodgers was as far as pure throwing skills. Mentally nobody beats Rodgers but Boyle is our future and he needs to play next week. I've seen plenty of "follies" watching Rodgers this season.

LeotisHarris's picture

December 17, 2018 at 06:09 pm

Sweet Baby Jeebus, Dash. How long have you had The Gift? Were you a Seer as a child? I can only imagine being prescient has been both a blessing and a curse for you. You carry a heavy psychic load, my friend.

And, I hate to ask, but have there been times when you've used The Gift in dark ways? Or times you didn't act when you could have altered history? Where were you on 11/22/63 and 9/11/2001? Hmm?

Do you suffer from powerful headaches? Like movies about Gladiators?

December 17, 2018 at 11:51 am

Leotis:
1. I regret I only have one "like" to give.
2. I hope everyone here has lots of prescients to open on the morning of December 25!

jeremyjjbrown's picture

December 17, 2018 at 12:19 pm

"Do you suffer from powerful headaches?"

Only after drunk posting.

Demon's picture

December 17, 2018 at 10:33 am

I call BS

Demon's picture

December 17, 2018 at 10:27 am

Somehow he was able to make his judgements about boyle playing against scrubs during mop up duty in a couple preseason games.

December 17, 2018 at 11:52 am

1. Doubters gonna doubt
2. Leg pullers gonna pull legs
3. Piranha pokers gonna poke piranhas
4. Chain yankers gonna yank chains...

I'll stop there.

December 17, 2018 at 12:48 pm

The "Somehow" is what separates the greats that can see what others like yourself don't see. I see it White Tornado. You should be relieved at what I said instead you and others mock. How does one prove a gift given to them by God? Boyle is the next heir apparent to Rodgers. They should move on him RIGHT NOW and get him going but they won't just like they kept a young Rodgers in check on the bench. Had MM started Rodgers two years earlier they would have made it to the super bowl in 2008. We now have an aging Rodgers who isn't playing worth a damn holding this team HOSTAGE with his contract and arrogance thinking that he's still the greatest. It's Tim Boyle time.

December 17, 2018 at 07:13 pm

Total commitment.

jeremyjjbrown's picture

December 16, 2018 at 03:40 pm

"Did they seriously think that a traditional approach was the best way to attack this Bears defense? Just asinine. "

Apparently. They also thought to abandon the quick passing game that was working great after the fumble recovery and only throw deep with 11 personnel. By the time they went back to quick hits it was too late.

" Joe Philbin won't be the next head coach."
That was obvious to me the offensive series after the fumble. Is it arrogance? Is it stupidity? Either way I don't care. I wanted to give Philbin a chance. He used it.

Next Head Coach please.

Shut them all down. Rodgers, Adams, Bahk, Clarke, Alexander, Martinez all inactive for Games 15-16. It's a second preseason.

December 16, 2018 at 03:47 pm

"" Joe Philbin won't be the next head coach."
That was obvious to me the offensive series after the fumble. Is it arrogance? Is it stupidity? Either way I don't care."

Rodgers missed two WIDE OPEN throws on back to back plays. If he hit either of them in stride, both Cobb and MVS waltz into the end zone to give the Packers the lead. That's on the QB, not the play call.

badaxed's picture

December 16, 2018 at 04:38 pm

Rodgers: Coach killer; prima dona who will pass up short throws (unless he is hurt) for the bomb. this will not stop even with a new bootlicking coach. What we need is a coach that will be the "Head Coach" and reel "Mr Rodgers" in or sit his 100 million dollar rear end on the bench. I say sit him now and give the back ups a chance to play the last two games to see if we need a "New quarterback" in the upcoming draft.

December 16, 2018 at 04:53 pm

'Rodgers: Coach killer; prima dona who will pass up short throws (unless he is hurt) for the bomb."

The question at hand is whether Rodgers *should* pass up a WR open by 5 yards behind everyone on the defense. Please make the case that he should.

jeremyjjbrown's picture

December 17, 2018 at 09:53 am

I think his Jeff George like throws make the case quite nicely.

aljohn_w@yahoo.com's picture

December 17, 2018 at 03:13 pm

What's really unbelievable to me is I have actually seen posts in here that say the Packers got rid of the wrong person ! "They should have kept McCarthy and got rid of Rodgers !" . WOW , Ignorance is bliss .

jeremyjjbrown's picture

December 16, 2018 at 04:47 pm

Rodgers has not been capable of making those throws for most of the season. The HC doesn't see it.

December 16, 2018 at 05:06 pm

Maybe the HC does see it. Maybe it is that you don't see something. For example, maybe you don't see that this team is going nowhere if they have to coddle Rodgers with play selection. Maybe what the HC does see is that getting Rodgers back to playing like Rodgers is their only real path toward being a decent team. And he's not all that interested in trying to play scared of what Rodgers cannot do.

December 16, 2018 at 06:06 pm

I agree, Hank, but I feel that you are being a bit too stark. Yes, MM had to go if only because he couldn't get AR to play like AR. Simple as that. Yes, AR overthrew MVS and arguably missed ESB by throwing it too far inside (I agree that since the safety was in the middle, staying more vertical on that route made sense, but I'd need a good angle to be comfortable in that judgment).

3rd and two at the 25-yard line in the first series, GB went with an empty backfield. I'd seen enough of Philben right then. Sack by Mack on an overload on the left side. The play never had a chance.

Loved the slant to Cobb early. Didn't see another until Cobb dropped the pass on a slant. Then there was a 3rd slant by Cobb later. [All above IIRC.]

December 16, 2018 at 07:13 pm

There was another slant to ESB late that Rodgers missed. It would have been wiped out by a hold anyways.

And if I'm giving the impression that I am pimping for Philbin, then I am definitely being too "stark" (kind word choice). I'm not. I just have a hard time jumping on the call on those two deep passes in the 4th. The fact is that any year but 2018, both are TDs with Rodgers making the throws.

Oppy's picture

December 16, 2018 at 08:30 pm

" Is it arrogance? Is it stupidity?"

Don't know, don't care.

What I don't understand, however, is why you automatically believe that series is an indictment of Joe Philbin's play calling.

We fired MM and everyone was certain that would correct this kind of thing. Well, guess what? It's already on the record that AR still has full autonomy to change any route or change the play call entirely, at the LOS, under Philbin's reign.

So, we saw exactly the same type of macho bullshit we've seen in the past- we see an offense starting to click when the focus is on getting the ball out quickly and executing the offense. Only to watch it revert inexplicably to madly bombing 3 downs and out.

Is it the coaches' play calling? Or is it the QB?

Also on the list of things that firing MM was supposed to cure: Supposedly calling in the plays late to Rodgers, resulting in not being able to snap the ball until there's no play clock left, and the refusal to employ much motion at the LOS to help get WR's freed up at the snap.

Well, Philbin told the press he gets the Play call in as fast as possible to AR so he has time to do what he does out on the field (AKA tamper with everything,). As to the motion, AR has told the media in the past he believes he can read defenses better against a static formation.

But hey, GB has coaching problems. The only coaching problem the Packers need to resolve is putting the clamps on Rodgers and getting him back under control. This organization is right back where it was during the final Sherman-Favre years. QB needs to be reigned in.

Bearmeat's picture

December 16, 2018 at 10:03 pm

The good news is that MM did just that with Favre, and we got the 07 season out of it. The only big contributor on this team that is old is Rodgers. Bulaga, Graham, Cobb, CM3, Perry... probably all gone next year. Maybe Tramon too.

If Gute and Murphy nail the next coaching hire, the team can turn around quickly.

Oppy's picture

December 16, 2018 at 10:31 pm

Bearmeat,

I tend to agree, however.... MM did manage to wrestle Favre back under a level of control and accountability not seen since Holmgren kept him on the straight and narrow (on the field, at least). However, I believe that the amount of hard-nosed coaching it required to get Favre under the yoke again is what led to Favre's eventual decision to try the old "I'm retiring for real this time" routine, and eventually to his being traded away.

Keep in mind, Favre was never given full control to simply change plays at will at the LOS, and I don't believe he had nearly as fragile an ego as Rodgers. I definitely believe the Packers need a coach who can get Rodgers back under control- that is, playing his role as the QB, who executes the offense designed, implemented, and called by the HC/OC to the best of his ability. However, after years of being allowed to basically do whatever he wants between the hashes, I am very concerned that any coach who actually demands Rodgers plays within the system and truly holds him accountable will make for a severely disgruntled #12, and an ugly divorce- ala Favre.

HOpefully I'm woefully wrong and everything turns out great. I am not optimistic for the long term outcome of this phase of Packers with Rodgers under center. I am ready to truly rebuild for the next era. I'd prefer to see the next era to be primarily defense-focused with strong ground game and a reliable QB who can move the chains. I think there is still a place for it in today's NFL and after the Favre/Rodgers runs I am flat-out done with living and dying on the arm of a diva QB. The reason why Starr is still the greatest QB in Packers history is he led without ego and was never any bigger than the team mates that surrounded him.

Bearmeat's picture

December 16, 2018 at 10:38 pm

Yeah. I hope you're not right. But if I had to put odds on what you're stating, I'd say it's 2/5 - almost 50/50 - likely to happen.

ARod needs to have his ego checked at the door. Big time.

December 17, 2018 at 12:29 am

Oppy, you and I are literally on the exact same thought process regarding this short term future with Rodgers. I predict the same fate for Rodgers as what happened with Favre. I also agree we need a defensive oriented football coach. The Bears have the exact recipe that I feel we should be doing. They are already there. We are going the opposite direction and people are still looking at building around Rodgers. It's insane. We need to think defense and just get a young healthy motivated hungry under paid qb like Tribuski who's a team oriented qb. A great defense can beat a hall of fame qb and win a division and they can do it very easily. We are now looking up at the Chicago Bears and for many more years if we don't shift our focus off what's best for Aaron Rodgers.

December 17, 2018 at 10:51 am

Love the idea of great defense, strong running game, and efficient QB.

I’m thinking along the lines of a QB similar to Alex Smith or Teddy Bridgewater.

December 17, 2018 at 12:57 pm

We already have an Alex Smith and Teddy Bridgewater on our team. His name is Aaron Rodgers. We can have a great quarterback without him necessarily having to go to the hall of fame. That's why we are currently losing. We have no elite defense, no special teams, and currently a qb who can't complete a pass or score in the red zone. The Bears have a great defense, great special team, great running game and a young up and coming qb which is why they are division champs. Aaron Rodgers is killing us.

December 18, 2018 at 06:22 am

AS and TB are (were?) known for frequently taking the underneath routes (Smith until his last year in KC, TB being derisively referred to as “Captain Checkdown”) and would typically go a full season with around only 5 int’s.
Pair that with a great defense and strong running game, and I’d be willing to take my chances.

jeremyjjbrown's picture

December 17, 2018 at 07:35 am

Unless something changed Rodgers only calls the plays in the 2 minute drill. Rodgers said so himself weeks ago. So while Rodgers is certainly part of the problem he didn't put in 11 personnel and send every receiver deep 3 plays in a row when he had a bum groin, had been missing throws, etc, etc. So it's all of the things you mentioned, and assinine playcalls too boot.

Oppy's picture

December 17, 2018 at 07:57 pm

Nothing has changed in the last 6 or 7 seasons as far as Rodgers' ability to do whatever he wants at the LOS (with exception to a few weeks a few years ago when MM yanked the chain on Rodgers to get his sh*t together).

Rodgers uses language very deliberately and with purpose.
He may not "Call the plays" until the 2 minute drill, but he damn sure changes the plays that were called throughout the game. This is nothing new.

Mike McCarthy and Aaron Rodgers have both, throughout the years, confirmed that AR has the green light to wholesale change any play at the LOS at his discretion. Joe Philbin just went on record and told a reporter nothing has changed and Rodgers still has total control to change a play at the LOS. Jimmy Graham discussed it on a national interview at the beginning of the season. Aaron Rodgers is intentionally phrasing things in a way that is not a lie, but allows people to misinterpret. This has been going on for quite a while.

Bure9620's picture

December 16, 2018 at 03:39 pm

Those that read me know that I am mostly rational.

It may me time to draft a QB... Yup. You heard me.
You simply cannot miss wide receivers. Rodgers has gone from Hall of famer to.....barely a starter. 3 Big misses to wide open guys today. Draft a QB and have him develop, it also kicks Rodgers in the ass.

6.5
3.5

December 16, 2018 at 03:49 pm

He was outplayed by Mitch Trubisky today. Trubisky was a huge reason the Packers were even in the game.

December 16, 2018 at 04:24 pm

Rodgers was also outplayed by Josh Rosen of AZ. When a hall of fame qb is getting outplayed by rookies and second year guys, there's a major problem. Very few people are looking at the fact that maybe Aaron Rodgers is officially on the downside and dropping faster than anyone anticipated. We need a young superstar qb who's playing for a pay day not an old aging guy who has already got paid. This to me is the biggest reason we are losing. Rodgers is old and not too motivated. His desire for winning just isn't there anymore.

December 16, 2018 at 05:12 pm

"Very few people are looking at the fact that maybe Aaron Rodgers is officially on the downside and dropping faster than anyone anticipated"

That's because there is nothing "official' about it. And even if there was, nothing can be done about it for a minimum of 2 more years due to the cap hit.

Plenty are critical of Rodgers. There is no shortage of recognition that he's not playing well. But the fantasy world of moving on from him is simply that: a fantasy world. So the only path forward for the Packers is to hope this year is an aberration and he returns to being Rodgers next year. Or even as soon as the next 2 weeks.

PeteK's picture

December 16, 2018 at 07:03 pm

With that said, I would like to see Kizer start a game just to get him some experience with our players, just in case of injury. Rogers isn't going anywhere soon.

CAG123's picture

December 16, 2018 at 03:40 pm

Well it’s finally over all the playoff and Philbin potentially being the guy are dead now and thank goodness this team has far too much to fix to be worried about a playoff push that’s 0-7 on the road in case anyone lost count. Now they can focus on and evaluate what they do have and what pieces are needed.
2019NFCNDC

Lare's picture

December 16, 2018 at 03:51 pm

The Packers were never a playoff team this year. Anyone that said so was either a blind homer or a writer trying to get fans to read their article.

It is what it is, not what it was or what it's going to be.

LeotisHarris's picture

December 16, 2018 at 06:47 pm

"It is what it is, not what it was or what it's going to be."

LOL

December 16, 2018 at 07:05 pm

That's really kind of deep...

Doug Niemczynski's picture

December 16, 2018 at 03:41 pm

Trade Rodgers. ..He is DONE.

reefkeeper's picture

December 16, 2018 at 03:47 pm

That is right blame the loss on #12. Doesn’t matter he was running for his life the whole game. Been that way all season. Making that comment is just plain stupid.

NickPerry's picture

December 16, 2018 at 03:53 pm

Or maybe just maybe Rodgers should just THROW THE DAMN BALL!!!

BTW...I wouldn't be opposed of trading him but it would have to be a Hershel Walker type haul. I posted something below but Jacksonville seems like a team that just might give up a ton of picks for a QB like Rodgers.

pooch's picture

December 16, 2018 at 04:08 pm

Trade to Oakland,Johnny would love him

December 16, 2018 at 05:34 pm

Why do we presume that teams would offer up what the Packers would need for him?

No rebuilding team is going to deal all their rebuilding ammo for an aging QB that they won't have time to build around.

Oppy's picture

December 16, 2018 at 08:35 pm

The Raider might jump on it.

That'd be a dream scenario, Raiders give the Packers what they got for Khalil to take Rodgers.

We know Gruden wants a different QB, and the owner is an idiot.

Now that they got rid of McKenzie, they may not have a voice of reason inside the building.

Let a guy dream a little.

WinUSA's picture

December 17, 2018 at 06:50 am

Packers did for Hadl !!!!!

EddieLeeIvory's picture

December 16, 2018 at 04:49 pm

Would u trade him for Jalen Ramsey, Leonard 4nette, and their #1 pick?

December 16, 2018 at 06:26 pm

Fournette would fit in: he can't stay on the field, either.

December 16, 2018 at 04:01 pm

Rodgers wasn't let down by those around him anymore than he is completely washed up. He played poorly today. He left 14-18 points on the field with poor throws in the end zone or passes where the WR was behind every defender. Those were not the only throws he missed. It wasn't because he was under pressure. He just missed those throws.

aljohn_w@yahoo.com's picture

December 16, 2018 at 04:17 pm

Reef exactly ! Blaming Rodgers for this season is purely moronic !

Coldworld's picture

December 16, 2018 at 04:32 pm

A year of disfunctional offense has got to Rodgers. Time to play Kizer and let Rodgers wash the detritus of the season from his mind.

December 16, 2018 at 03:54 pm

Talk to me Doug. Who do we trade with and what compensation do you think we can reasonably expect for Rodgers? I am willing to listen to offers.

December 16, 2018 at 04:23 pm

Make sure the conversation on trading Rodgers deals with the $46 mil cap hit before anything else. That's a non-negotiable cap hit for a trade. If you want to cut him outright, that can be split in $11.5 mil in 2019 and $34.5 mil in 2020. Without addressing that, you're just living in fantasy land.

In other words, please drop the nonsense about getting rid of Rodgers. It will not happen. He is their starting QB in 2019. End of story.

JimR_in_SoCal's picture

December 16, 2018 at 04:15 pm

I'm concerned that Rodgers is in decline, so this off- and pre-season will be critical. I'd suggest that if Rodgers looks this mediocre next season, he may be on the roster, but not necessarily as the starting QB. It all boils down to whether the Packers think they have a better guy.

Rebecca's picture

December 16, 2018 at 04:21 pm

Yes sir. Amen.

December 16, 2018 at 04:33 pm

Don't encourage him.

Rebecca's picture

December 16, 2018 at 06:37 pm

lol

GVPacker's picture

December 16, 2018 at 09:46 pm

dobber I believe Dash Riprock is non other than Viking GM Rick Spielman. And he wants the Packers share holders to force Mark Murphy hand and trade Aaron Rodgers out of the NFC North!

December 17, 2018 at 12:37 am

No comment.

Demon's picture

December 17, 2018 at 11:57 am

How else would you explain someone championing for a UDFA and trading a HOFer?

LeotisHarris's picture

December 16, 2018 at 06:50 pm

Yep, spill it to Dash, Doug. Or dish to Dash if you prefer. All the trade deets, please.

And after that, can we please get an update on the Sunday night game. Thanks!

December 16, 2018 at 07:44 pm

Gotta tap those resources.

Hematite's picture

December 16, 2018 at 04:14 pm

Who would want him?
He doesn't have it anymore but he's got a lot of money.

Daz's picture

December 16, 2018 at 03:45 pm

Feel for Pettine. Overall put a good scheme together but too many players cant tackle properly .
OL been generally poor all season - Again , the basic ability to block !! .
Players coming into the NFL surely must have these basic abilities in the fundamentals or shouldn't get drafted
Too many bad drafts over the years & no good FA additions have led to a poor squad.

ollie418's picture

December 16, 2018 at 03:49 pm

Pettine stinks saw at least 5 - 3 mans rushes. Bears scored the go ahead TD on 3 man rush. Fire him today let him walk home! GOD I hate 3 man rushes.

December 16, 2018 at 03:53 pm

It wasn't the lack of pressure that killed them on the go-ahead TD. It was the lack of coverage. Burton was wide open before the rush had a legit chance to get there.

December 16, 2018 at 05:36 pm

Every...
team...
does...
it...

PeteK's picture

December 16, 2018 at 07:13 pm

You must hate the NFL because all teams show the same set up many times in the course of a game. Schemes worked for the most part today. Front line players played with heart today, tackling in backfield was a different story.

Lare's picture

December 16, 2018 at 03:55 pm

I think there is also a responsibility on the coaches to teach the players what they need to know to be productive. NFL position coaches get paid a lot of money to do one thing. If their players are failing it also means the coaches are failing.

Way past time to move on.

aljohn_w@yahoo.com's picture

December 16, 2018 at 04:20 pm

Maybe it's time for the organization to concentrate on football instead of real estate !

December 16, 2018 at 05:20 pm

I dunno. I'm not sure I think that Murphy shifting his focus to football is a really good thing. I'd rather he put Gute in charge of football operations and go back to concentrating on real estate.

Coldworld's picture

December 16, 2018 at 04:35 pm

All too often the D is on the field far far too much. Our offense has seldom put consecutive long drives together this season. Pettine has earned his berth for future years.

flackcatcher's picture

December 16, 2018 at 05:34 pm

Oh yes, A bright creative mind. That his schemes still work with amounted to third team and free agents is a testament to his players 'buy in' and the position coaches ability to work them up to an NFL level. This defensive second half performances were amazing, when he completely change the look of his scheme. His defensive shut down of both the Lions and Rams when both games were almost out of reach were most impressive. Letting Pettine go would be stupid beyond belief.

NickPerry's picture

December 16, 2018 at 03:48 pm

Not just the deep shot to MVS but the pass to Cobb the play before. There was a time where Rodgers would put a tad of air under the ball and lead him away from the defense. Clearly that seems lost with many other qualities Rodgers seemed to show weekly just a 2 years ago.

Credit the defense...Down Clark and Daniels and they kept them in the game.

I just don't see "All the Talent" my fellow Packers fans see on this roster. Sure there's a few to be excited about but not many.

The Packers NEED another WR AND a TE next year. Maybe it's MVS or St. Brown but I doubt it, they may need another year.

Gute needs to cut all the dead weight on this roster. It may cost the Packers in dead Cap Space but Perry, Bulaga, and Graham HAVE to go. Not opposed to Cobb and Matthews coming back but for somewhere around $3 to $4 million tops...and that's WITH incentives and bonus to hit that number.

OR.....

Rodgers quits making so many F###ing State Farm Commercials and actually put's in some work this off-season. I'd actually prefer that BUT it seems each year the number of Commercials I se on TV goes up, and his quality of play goes down. This year he wasn't worth close to $30 million except for the 4th quarter of week one.

December 17, 2018 at 12:47 am

Calling Hank Scorpio. Attention Hank Scorpio. Nick Perry needs to be told like the rest of us you scolded regarding trading Rodgers. This is his quote below. I must say I am a little disappointed in you for not slapping Nick on the wrist.

"WHILE he's shopping for a WR, TE, OL, and Safety Gute should put some feelers out on Rodgers. Jacksonville comes to mind as a team that might pony up 3 firsts for him. Or maybe two firsts, two 2nds, and a 3rd."

ollie418's picture

December 16, 2018 at 03:49 pm

Pettine stinks; saw at least 5 - 3 mans rushes. Bears scored the go ahead TD on 3 man rush. Fire him today let him walk home! GOD I hate 3 man rushes.

December 16, 2018 at 03:59 pm

Ollie, how do you feel about the entire team's overall execution including Philbin?

ollie418's picture

December 16, 2018 at 04:33 pm

Not good my friend, not good!

Oppy's picture

December 16, 2018 at 08:38 pm

Wow, you completely missed the alley-ooop on that one. Don't worry, I'll bring it home for you.

Oppy's picture

December 16, 2018 at 08:39 pm

The correct answer is:

"I'm all for it, Dash."

December 16, 2018 at 08:59 pm

Yep, I tried Oppy. It was there for the taking. He might not be old enough to remember that. lol

Johnblood27's picture

December 17, 2018 at 02:46 am

Ah yes, the ridiculously hilarious John McKay of the hapless Yukaneers.

Rebecca's picture

December 16, 2018 at 04:28 pm

Yeah. Why bother sending 3? That’s a weak use of the point of attack.

Coldworld's picture

December 16, 2018 at 04:36 pm

Coverage, unpredictability ... really think this is a false point.

December 16, 2018 at 05:22 pm

It is a false point. There are analytics guys all over everything in sports these days. If rushing 3 was as bad as I used to think (and some still do), it would never happen.

December 16, 2018 at 05:38 pm

Again:
....Every...
...team...
...does...
...it.

Kaatz99's picture

December 16, 2018 at 03:49 pm

People on here are ridiculous sometimes. Fire Pettine? Trade Rodgers? Seriously, this team is beleaguered by injuries supplemented with little talent. Regroup and focus on next year.

JimR_in_SoCal's picture

December 16, 2018 at 04:04 pm

OK, as long as "next year" doesn't start on Groundhog Day.

December 16, 2018 at 09:28 pm

Regroup? Are you kidding me Kaatz. I think the calls for firing need to be extended out. I would like to see the firing of all medical personal including cart and ambulance drivers. I also want to see all the nutrition staff fired including all the lunch ladies some whom are over 80 years old. Nutrition my ass, MM was almost 300 lbs when he left. What the hell is going on in there? I am sorry but we need an injection of youth and that includes the lunch servers. All these people are contributing indirectly to the constant rash of injuries the past ten plus years. I am sick and damn tired of injuries!! I also am not ruling out the firing of all the janitorial staff. We need a clean sweep at 1265!!

GVPacker's picture

December 16, 2018 at 10:00 pm

Mike McCarthy is BLOTED he drinks a lot of carbonated water, really he's not that BIG!

splitpea1's picture

December 16, 2018 at 03:57 pm

Find a coach and players who can implement a short passing game in the off-season. Sustaining drives is what it's all about. This game could have been won. Hopefully AR is just having a bad season and will get himself righted. Poor tackling in the secondary was costly--another recurring theme. There should have been a spy on Trubisky, but the defense probably held up as well as could be expected with so many missing starters.

Hematite's picture

December 16, 2018 at 04:20 pm

Rodgers hasn't played well since 2014, he should not have been given that contract until his previous contract was up and probably not then.
The Packers are paying him for what he did four years ago.

December 16, 2018 at 04:37 pm

"Rodgers hasn't played well since 2014"

You must've slept through the last half of 2016.

EddieLeeIvory's picture

December 16, 2018 at 05:18 pm

Yeah that fan forgot about him carrying a horrible defense into Atlanta for the NFC Championship game.

Hematite's picture

December 16, 2018 at 05:19 pm

Okay, he's played well for half a season in the last four years.
Not looking good Dobber.

December 17, 2018 at 12:53 am

Agree Hematite. That Rodgers' contract is holding this team hostage for the next several years. Who would have thought a piece of paper can be so powerful. Can't we just bleach bit the contract and say it never existed?

PeteK's picture

December 16, 2018 at 07:18 pm

He looked good in the season opener .

EddieLeeIvory's picture

December 16, 2018 at 05:03 pm

Do u credit someone besides Rodgers for getting us to the NFC Championship game just the season before last?

To say Rodgers hasn't played well since 2014 is ignorant. And I'm not defending him. He's been horsecrap this year, with a bad attitude.

December 16, 2018 at 05:32 pm

"Find a coach and players who can implement a short passing game in the off-season."

The problem with that theory is that short game concept requires perfection in execution for longer sustained periods. That does not describe the 2018 Packers. This team is not going to go 8-12 plays without a penalty, sack, dropped pass or missed throw that derails the drive very often.

CAG123's picture

December 16, 2018 at 04:07 pm

Man Eddie Jackson was right there for the taking and they took Vince Biegel who’s not even on the team anymore. TJ Watt was right there staring them in the face and they picked Kevin King who can’t even stay on the field. When you think about the difference these two picks could have made alone it’s actually quite frustrating.

mrj007's picture

December 16, 2018 at 04:18 pm

Poor drafts caught up with the Packers this year.

Coldworld's picture

December 16, 2018 at 04:38 pm

Multiple poor drafts and poor retention decisions.

CAG123's picture

December 16, 2018 at 04:44 pm

And letting guys go I mean look at what Randall is doing in Cleveland or Hyde in Buffalo all Taysum Hill does in New Orleans is make some sort of play rather it’s a blocked punt or big return or something out of the Wild Cat but MM thought Joe Callahan was worthy of a roster spot. I’m starting to think the Packers like making other rosters better smh

December 16, 2018 at 08:33 pm

Keep this in mind. Randall played safety turned Cb. Hyde was being used at safety before he left. Hyde became an All-pro. Randall is doing well. Instead of drafting a safety, Cleveland wanted Randall. ( Cancer or not. ). Both Cleveland and Buffalo did not draft a safety. They went with a veteran. What are the packers missing that other teams are picking up on. The lesson the packers should learn is they had safeties. The mistake would be drafting a safety at #1. It's a veteran position. When you throw in Hayward, or even giving Dix up for a #4 pick. The packers safety position should be filled through Free -Agency, and a later pick to groom. And the topping on the situation in Green Bay is. Butler and Collins became All-pro when they switched.

CAG123's picture

December 16, 2018 at 08:44 pm

I totally agree that’s why I wish they could swing a trade for Jamal Adams and sign Earl Thomas. Adams going into his 3rd year could hold the spot down for the next 5-8 and Thomas would be an excellent stop gap for 2-3 years while they develop someone behind him.

Jonathan Spader's picture

December 16, 2018 at 09:57 pm

Rather than focusing on TT's past drafts why don't we talk about Gute's 1st draft? So far Alexander has been awesome, Jackson and Burks suck. WRs have potential. JK Scott has been solid. Lancaster has made some plays.

CAG123's picture

December 16, 2018 at 10:22 pm

Because that’s irrelevant to what I’m saying that’s why...and if you’re just going to back that up with “Jackson and Burks suck” then what’s the point of what you’re saying? lol

aljohn_w@yahoo.com's picture

December 16, 2018 at 08:46 pm

The ghost of Ted Thompson lives !

EddieLeeIvory's picture

December 16, 2018 at 05:17 pm

And there are so many more.
1st & 2nd rounders should build the foundation.

See:
Damarious Randall
Datone Jones
Quinten Rollins
Josh Jones
Mike Neal
Derek Sherrod
Jerel Worthy
Nick Perry
Haha Clintons-Dix

All these from 2011-2017 Draft. None are helping the Packers win anything now.

Thompson was HORRIBLE after 2009 Draft, but somehow kept getting applauded as Rodgers carried the team when he had great receivers & Matthews & Woodson & Collins were stalwarts.

Mojo's picture

December 16, 2018 at 09:32 pm

The theme on this thread has hit on the primary reason the 2018 season was a bust.

The Packers lack an above average amount of talent throughout their roster. It's the most painful but honest assessment of this team.

Rossonero's picture

December 16, 2018 at 04:14 pm

While I'm bitter about the defeat and season in general, I am taking heart that we aren't getting blown out each week.

This team isn't as awful as some might think. Do we suck on the road? Of course, yes.

We had no Clark, Daniels, Bulaga, Bell, King or Aaron Jones and Chicago was only missing Kyle Long and Bryce Callahan.

In other words, we can absolutely compete in 2019, but it'll all start and finish with Aaron Rodgers. He MUST play better or all the draft picks and free agents in the world won't matter.

P.s. please keep Mike Pettine.

Packers0808's picture

December 16, 2018 at 04:20 pm

Should have kept McCarthy because he hired Pettine, so if you want him then you get what McCarthy brought!

Rossonero's picture

December 16, 2018 at 04:42 pm

Ex bears coach John Fox brought in Vic Fangio. Fox got fired and Fangio stayed. Of course it can work.

flackcatcher's picture

December 16, 2018 at 04:50 pm

A lot will depend on the health of the returning core players and who will be the next HC. I don't blame Philbin for what is McCarthy's offense. Hard to change or retool so late in the season. Phibin has shown enough to make a case to remove the interim tag and allow him to put his offense in place. But I don't know who will make that call, I expect it will be Gute, but with the management structure so cloudy it could be Murphy, or even the executive committee could pull rank and do it themselves. Still, this team has not folded and fought to the bitter end. That says a great deal not only about the coaches, but more importantly the commitment of the players to this team. Speaks well for the future.

Rossonero's picture

December 16, 2018 at 05:27 pm

I'd like to wait until the season ends, but do like what I see from Philbin. I agree with your observation that the team isn't quitting either.