Free Agents Signed Now Do Not Count Against The Compensatory Pick Formula

If the Packers want to acquire a free agent, as of 4:00 PM yesterday such free agents no longer count against the compensatory pick formula.  I saw this tweet from Field Yates mentioning it.  Many have hoped for a free agent defensive lineman like Snacks Harrison or someone a little more pricey like Jarran Reed.

The Packers might be interested in a wide receiver such as Taylor Gabriel, Rashad Higgins or Tavon Austin.  Cornerbacks like Darqueeze Denard, Logan Ryan, or Jonathan Joseph if they do not like Tramon Williams all could be on their radar.

The Packers do not have much spendable cap space, probably a couple of million dollars.  The option to generate more cap space by releasing Lane Taylor, restructuring or extending a player or two also exists.

The Packers also might want to keep their powder dry until September cut downs.  Given how many wide receivers were drafted, some interesting wide receivers might become cap casualties.  Perhaps the Packers could acquire reinforcements at other positions.  September cap casualties should be the players who come at the most reasonable prices.

For now, we will have to wait to see how General Manager Gutekunst proceeds.

Packers0808's picture

April 28, 2020 at 07:41 am

Be nice to grab Harrison as a run stuffer on D!

PatrickGB's picture

April 28, 2020 at 09:18 am

I have wondered about Harrison for some time. I bet he would not be all that expensive. And we all have been clamoring for someone to be a good NT. However, he has not generated much interest in FA. I have a feeling that there is a reason for that.

Coldworld's picture

April 28, 2020 at 09:46 am

Is he recovered from his injury at this point?

gkarl's picture

April 28, 2020 at 10:26 am

At the end of last year he was making noise about how hard the season had been and if he had the desire to go through another like that. Not sure that's the attitude we need, sounds like retirement is near.

Packers0808's picture

April 28, 2020 at 01:11 pm

Ih you read about what Harrison said it was a year that was bad because he had no respect for Patricia while he was in Detroit!

April 28, 2020 at 07:45 am

The photo is of Jarran Reed. He is a little pricey, but might have a cap hit in 2020 of $6M or so. That is all I can forecast in the range of what is fairly possible. That isn't to say that he is the right DT to sign as he might not be enough of a two gapping run defense monster. But he has talent.

I am sure there are other possibilities that might interest the Packers.

April 28, 2020 at 08:12 am

You never know what a guy will take on a one-year deal, especially as the off-season wears on. After a bit, they know that they're better off playing than sitting. Given Reed isn't much of a pass rusher, he's not going to be as pricey as others. I'd rather have him than Harrison, who has been hinting about retirement since he came to Detroit. How much is his heart in it?

April 28, 2020 at 08:37 am

I used Sportrac's estimated value of $10.6M. I figured on a longer deal GB could get a $6M cap hit. On a one year deal, unless a dummy year is used, I have no idea but $6M is what I think GB could afford if they trade/release Taylor.

Reed had 24 QB hits in 2018 and 8 QB hits in 10 games in 2020. However, he only had 13 pressures in 2019 after having 31 in 2018. Clark has a career-high of 9 QB hits and had 7 QB hits last year in 16 games. Clark had 15 pressures in 2018 and 15 again in 2019. Clark has more sacks. All stats from PFR.

I don't know if GB would get 2018 Reed or 2019. Still, either year looks valuable. I don't particularly want to release Taylor, but I'd trade him for a 5th or a very high 6th.

jannes bjornson's picture

April 28, 2020 at 08:15 pm

not

PeteK's picture

April 28, 2020 at 09:13 am

Who wouldn't want to retire after playing for Lions.

April 28, 2020 at 09:20 am

Apparently Ricky Wagner...

Coldworld's picture

April 28, 2020 at 09:45 am

But equally we have plenty of depth of the lighter, disruptive type. While it’s yet to be official, we claimed one on waiver just prior to the draft.

It’s the true big guys we lack. Clark and Lancaster are all we have. Clark is, to my mind, over used in terms of both effeminacy and longer term health. Lancaster was decidedly unconvincing last year. If we are going to sign one let it be a big run specialist.

jannes bjornson's picture

April 28, 2020 at 08:07 pm

Should have moved up for Fotu.

Guam's picture

April 28, 2020 at 07:49 am

I've been hoping the reason Gute hasn't signed a run stuffer to date is that he doesn't want to impair the two fourth round choices he will get next year for Bulaga and Martinez. Hopefully now he will sign Harrison or Reed (or someone else), but the Packers certainly need some IDL help, particularly after no help arrived via the draft.

April 28, 2020 at 08:13 am

Packers drafted two IOL, an OT who profiles inside, and still have Patrick. I'd be shopping Taylor pretty hard. They need his $$.

Handsback's picture

April 28, 2020 at 08:43 am

Maybe Green Bay feels they have been going about the draft the wrong way and wanted to test out their theory. Draft offensive guys and fill defensive holes through FA. Hard to draft a two gap DT and expect him to start the first year. Grab one in FA and they help you immediately. The Packers certainly grabbed a bunch of IOL guys in this draft and went heavy for defense in last year's FA class so let's remember that during next year's draft and see if it follows suit.

RCPackerFan's picture

April 28, 2020 at 09:39 am

I had a feeling it would be a more offensive approach to the draft. Last year and the last several years its been more geared around the defense. Infact they haven't drafted an offensive player with their first pick since 2011. That was also the last time they used their first 3 picks on offensive players. The last 2 drafts they added Alexander, Jackson, Burks, Gary, Savage, Keke. They went and signed The Smiths and Amos. They have essentially added a complete defense in the last 2 years.

That is the reason why I felt they would go offensive this time around is because they needed to get the players to fit LaFleurs offense more.
This offense is built more around the run and the deception of the run. Meaning that they will do more play action passes and use the TE's and RB's more in the passing game. Which explains why they spent higher picks on RB and a TE that can play TE, FB and just about everything. Last year they basically just made who they had fit. Graham was a not a good fit. That is why a guy like Deguara should be a much better fit.
Speaking of Deguara I saw an interesting comparison for him. Chris Cooley who was in Washington when LaFleur was there. Chris Cooley in college had 96 catches for 1255 yards and 11 TD's. Deguara had 92 catches for 1117 yards and 12 TD's. Interesting comparison especially with a player who was drafted into a similar scheme to what LaFleur is running in GB.

I can definitely see them going after a veteran DL. Someone that can come in and give them 20 or more snaps a game and help shutdown the run against teams. Snacks to me is that guy.

RCPackerFan's picture

April 28, 2020 at 09:03 am

I do wonder if they consider resigning Williams, Veldheer and/or Campbell.

For Free agents that remain I would think Snacks would be a good pick up. They need more help on the DL. I'm not sure who all is available right now, but he would be a good player to go after.

I do wonder about WR as well. If they either make a trade for one, or if they try to see who gets cut.

Maybe they could find a way to trade Taylor to a team for a WR?

Coldworld's picture

April 28, 2020 at 09:56 am

I think, given the draft and current roster as well as the cap, those signings are unlikely. Injuries could change that of course.

Although we didn’t draft a cb, we got two of the best undrafted free agents to add to our existing depth. We picked up one hybrid candidate in the draft and a couple in UDFA to back up Greene. The investment in the O line just seems such that RT 3 is likely on the roster already.

RCPackerFan's picture

April 28, 2020 at 10:31 am

I'm not sure if they view Runyan as a OT or OG? The other 2 guys seem like Interior only.
I'm not sure who they figure is the backup swing OT. Veldheer would be perfect for that as he proved that last year.
But do they view Nijman, Leglue, Light as the backup OT? We saw what happened with Light last year compared to Veldheer.

I agree about CB. If they were to resign Williams the good part about him is that he can play CB and S. I don't know if they will. Like you said with the cap they likely won't.

flackcatcher's picture

April 28, 2020 at 08:41 pm

Packers still need another FB for this roster. (Kind of like the search for the ever mythical ILB...)

optimisticfan's picture

April 28, 2020 at 10:50 pm

I see your point of a FB for depth. Are you saying they need to sign a FA to start early on before Deguara can get a handle of the playbook/be seasoned or have a Fullback active all season?

Will MLF want to carry a FB in addition to 4 TEs on the active roster? If Deguara shows promise as a moving TE/Hback will they have a FB on the active roster or just one on the practice squad? Could GB pick up a FB after 6/1 or if a waived player is available for depth?

I can see the need for backup depth for various roles

Also side Q:
How is James Looney coming along? Will he be TE4 for in line depth behind Lewis? If so is Tonyan cut if Deguara is living up to his scouting report of having fairly good route running and receiving abilities in addition to his blocking effort?

Kevin Carpenter's picture

April 28, 2020 at 11:34 pm

They definitely do not need another FB. If they need anyone who can start right away, they can use Sternberger as he is an above average run blocker or Lewis if they're desperate enough.

PeteK's picture

April 28, 2020 at 09:17 am

I believe Reed signed a two year deal with Hawks for 14 mill guaranteed. He's young and had 10 sacks in 2018. So Hopefully, Harrison would be cheaper, rejuvenated to play for a winner, and part of a rotation. We need a run stopper like him desperately .

April 28, 2020 at 09:22 am

Holy crap....I don't know how I missed a 10-sack season. I'll rescind my comment from above on pass rush (recognizing TGR's comments, too).

You're right. He's already under contract.

April 28, 2020 at 02:10 pm

Rats! Honest, I looked and Sportrac still had him listed on the free agent tracker. Heck, in signed in March! Maybe they have not sent in the paperwork yet: some sites don't update until it is official.

Oops.

PeteK's picture

April 28, 2020 at 05:50 pm

True some signing might not be official until a medical exam.

jeremyjjbrown's picture

April 28, 2020 at 09:21 am

The remaining FA list doesn't really jump off the page. I'd consider Snacks, maybe Taylor Gabriel if they can be had on the cheap.

April 28, 2020 at 09:23 am

I think the bigger opportunity might come from teams looking toward June 1 cuts or trying to unload players they don't feel they need anymore post draft. With all the WR drafted, you have to think there will be some buys to be had there.

Coldworld's picture

April 28, 2020 at 09:59 am

At this point, with very limited funds, I’d take a DT and hold off on any other position unless there is a shocking parting of ways.

Hematite's picture

April 28, 2020 at 12:55 pm

Rodgers contract is already a millstone around the Packers neck when it comes to player acquisition .

ShooterMcGee's picture

April 28, 2020 at 09:22 am

I think they cut or trade Linsley, slide Jenkins to center and put Taylor at guard. Then we gamble on 1 of the 6th rounders as backup this year starter the next. Getting rid of Linsley frees up more cap space for signing a d-lineman.

PeteK's picture

April 28, 2020 at 09:40 am

I wouldn't mess around with the good formula right now. Plus a year for these young low round draftees will make a big difference. I believe we have enough cap to sign Snacks. He's the only DT available who is an improvement over what we have right now. Maybe sneak in Gabriel.

April 28, 2020 at 09:44 am

I agree. Given they downgraded at RT, I wouldn't want to take that chance elsewhere on the line unless I was really sure. That said, I've read a couple pieces that say that Turner is better on the left side than the right. If Jenkins DID move to the pivot, maybe it's an opportunity to push Turner to the left side.

PeteK's picture

April 28, 2020 at 09:55 am

Are we weaker with Taylor there as opposed to Turner?

April 28, 2020 at 11:13 am

That's what you need to weigh if you decide to let Linsley go. The right side is already pretty average.

flackcatcher's picture

April 28, 2020 at 02:27 pm

It's a tough call. Taylor is better than Turner, but asking Patrick or Jenkins to start is a real downgrade at center. (for different reasons) Besides, under Ted and now Gute, the Packers let starters play out their final year if they are not going to sign them.

jannes bjornson's picture

April 28, 2020 at 08:15 pm

Taylor cannot move in space as well as Turner.

flackcatcher's picture

April 28, 2020 at 08:45 pm

And makes nowhere the number of mental mistakes and breakdowns Turner does.

taarons420's picture

April 28, 2020 at 09:43 am

The article addresses the need at wide receiver.

I think anyone looking at the Packers' roster would come to the conclusion that what they need in the WR group is someone to play more effectively from the slot. They have "big-slot" options... but don't seem to have the shifty/elusive slot weapon.

I contend that drafting Dillon opens up the opportunity for Jones to fill this void.

Give me Jones in the slot over any rookie. But that's just me.

I just love the idea of grouping Dillon, Jones, Adams, Sternberger, and Deguara.
So many formational options - run or pass.

It's taken me a few years to realize that great passing games involve more than just WR's catching the ball.
As Packer fans, we're just not used to RB's, TE's, FB's, and HB's being involved. It's not what we've been watching for the last decade.

PeteK's picture

April 28, 2020 at 10:00 am

Ervin becomes a player of great interest and hope now. Remember he only played in 4 games for us, and still made his way on the offense late in the season.

taarons420's picture

April 28, 2020 at 10:37 am

i agree

Coldworld's picture

April 28, 2020 at 10:06 am

I think you will see Jones and perhaps Ervin in the slot at times. I think you will also see a bigger agile receiver such as Adams or EQ or a really big presence like Funchess, Sternberger or Tonyan.

Adding a credibly versatile Hback and a power threat has been key to unlocking variation on prior Shanahan tree schemes.

Bure9620's picture

April 28, 2020 at 12:00 pm

Protection above all....

April 28, 2020 at 02:37 pm

Thanks for the link. It has tons of information and I plan to peruse it later. For now, I have skimmed it and bookmarked it. Information does not mean fact.

However, I am looking at some of the OL by team and with just a skim I find some things that trouble me. For example, the site seems to think MN has a much better offensive line than I think they had. They don't like Kelce in Philly.

They do have Turner with 13 bad runs, and IIRC McGinn had Turner with 13.5. McGinn thought Turner gave up a whopping 41 pressures which would be worse than Byron Bell and much worse than Jahri Evans, but not this site had Turner with a moderately high number. It has Lucas Patrick with 5 bad runs in 124 snaps. Extrapolating that out to 1000 snaps makes Patrick unplayable and it lines up with PFF's 46 grade (IIRC) for Patrick.

flackcatcher's picture

April 28, 2020 at 08:36 pm

I read that too. McGinn gotten cranky in his golden years. He's just beating up on Turner. Turner was nowhere as bad as McGinn implies. Most his of pressures came against three teams. Denver early, that awful west coast swing, and the NFL champ game where he was pretty sick. (the weight loss was noticeable) Over half those pressures are on pass plays where Rodgers was clearly holding the ball over 7 seconds, and the pocket had just broken down. Turner's pressures according to the Packers own metrics, are closer to the high teen-low twenties. (if you're feeling generous toward QB 1) Which is still too high for a OG in this legal holding era. Half of those are nothing more than mental breakdowns. (making wrong read, taking the wrong lane in run game etc.) I wouldn't put too much into their judgement on run fits either. Only the Packers know who and what options each lineman has in their run game. For example, the Packers started with an outside zone scheme with no combo or wham blocking. By the fourth game they were running an inside zone scheme with gap and wham blocking throughout most of the season. And by the end of the season, they were running a modified outside zone with gap blocking again. So... take their judgements (and mine) with HUGE grain of salt.... :-)

Lare's picture

April 28, 2020 at 01:31 pm

In order to draft or sign free agent players to address deficiencies and help win games, a GM has got to want to.

Alberta_Packer's picture

April 28, 2020 at 01:58 pm

A run-stuffer would be great - except slim pickings. Harrison comes to mind but he is now on the wrong side of 30 and probably with diminishing capabilities. Maybe at the veteran's minimum or just slightly above?

flackcatcher's picture

April 28, 2020 at 02:35 pm

Heck, I wonder if Gute will make any major roster move before training camp. All those mass cuts, it's going to be a bargain shoppers delight...

1.5
0.5
Dzehren's picture

April 28, 2020 at 04:07 pm

Let’s wait it out until training camp. Some good WR’s & DL will end up being cut or released. With 30 plus receivers taken, some WR prospects can be plucked off practice squads as well.