Pre-Order The Pro Football Draft Preview Today!!

Draft lookahead: With two picks in fifth, Pack can add value, depth

With holes to fill and two fifth-round picks, the Packers have an opportunity to add value and depth in Round 5.

Green Bay has some holes to plug, no doubt, and for a team which has built its roster through the draft that means that rounds as late as the fifth are still a source of excitement. Green Bay’s starting center, after all, was a fifth-round pick just a few seasons ago.

So who could be on Green Bay’s radar when their two-pick fifth round rolls around? The following are three players who could present solid value and depth.

Aaron Jones, RB, UTEP

Jones is physical and explosive, but because of his lack of ideal size (5-9, 208) in addition to a career at UTEP mired by injuries, he could find himself waiting to be picked until the later rounds. Still, for a smallish back Jones packs some power and appears on some runs like he’s being shot out of a cannon. As far as Packer-friendly metrics (another shout-out to Justis Mosqueda’s draft tendencies series), Jones comes in short of the 5-foot-10 mark and a hundredth of a second off the 40-time (at 4.56 seconds). He checks other athletic boxes (of varying importance) with an impressive 3-cone time of 6.82 seconds, a vertical jump of 37.5 and 16 reps on the bench. Most importantly, he brings it. If the Pack doesn’t pull the trigger on a running back by Sunday of the draft, Jones could present excellent value and depth.

Vincent Taylor, DT, Oklahoma St.
Taylor’s disruptiveness and quickness off the line are the qualities that stand out. Will he be there in the fifth round? We’ll find out. He’s big (6-3, 305), with long-arms (34 3/8) and huge hands, and has shown a knack for rushing the passer. There’s a lot to like about his potential versatility in Green Bay’s front. Taylor has tools that work for three- and four-man fronts, and could be a good rotation guy in sub packages. I keep seeing that pad level is an issue of his. Sounds like a totally correctable flaw – but his explosiveness and strength are qualities much harder to teach.

Xavier Woods, S, Louisiana Tech
Woods showed up all over the stat sheet at La. Tech, and if he was an inch taller, 15 pounds heavier and played for a college football power, I believe he’d be a household name. He comes in at 5-11 and just a shade under 200 pounds, but he has plenty of likeable attributes with 4.54 speed, good strength (19 reps) and excellent agility (6.72 3-cone drill). Woods shines in man coverage, which makes him a versatile set piece in a defense that has asked safeties like Micah Hyde and Morgan Burnett to move around. He’s also a ballhawk, and while not a great tackler he doesn’t shy away from contact. Best of all, he’s a playmaker. Woods logged 14 interceptions and five forced fumbles over the past three seasons.

The TKstinator's picture

April 17, 2017 at 05:29 pm

Players.
Give us some good ones.
Thanks, The TKstinator

PatrickGB's picture

April 17, 2017 at 06:18 pm

cuervo's picture

April 18, 2017 at 08:28 am

I'm not sure about Jones, but Darren Sproles, Maurice Jones Drew, Ray Rice were all the same size...they all seem to have been fine as NFL players, there's many more examples.
I just wish for once the Packers would pick a running back that wasn't the plodding "big back" that's able to turn a potential 30 yard scamper into a 10 yard cloud of dust.

April 17, 2017 at 06:50 pm

TT should trade them both. Move up! Any 5th - 7th round guy is lucky to be drafted. This team is not rebuilding. TT has better luck with Free Agents anyways.

April 18, 2017 at 07:50 am

I agree: I think the Packers won't use both of those 5th rounders. At least one of them is dealt. Maybe both.

I disagree on the "rebuild" thing. There's significant turnover in the two-deep as compared to where this team was just prior to Sitton being cut last August. Almost as if TT sat down at one point at the end of the last camp, looked at the roster, and said, "Who am I kidding?" on some of these guys. Maybe not a full "rebuild"--when #12 is your QB and he's still there at the end of camp, everything else is really window dressing--but there's going to be a lot of new faces on this roster in September...and in September of 2018.

aaron2017's picture

April 17, 2017 at 10:24 pm

TT has better luck with Free Agents! Thanks for sharing! It's full of details and information.
I think you may like this piece, spanish to english @ http://spanishto-english.com

Turophile's picture

April 18, 2017 at 05:39 am

I quite like RBs Jamaal Williams and Elijah McGuire.

Also, If pass rusher Ejuan Price is there, he is my pick, short, stocky, relentless, total value.

TE Sprinkle is interesting as a developmental guy, he has 4.69 speed. I would prefer Kittle, who is faster, but he'll probably be gone somewhere in the 4th.

WR Malachi Dupre (LSU) is another developmental guy. It was a bad time for him to be a WR at LSU, due to an innaccurate QB, but he could be something if he works hard to improve route running.

JRome Coaxum's picture

April 18, 2017 at 01:10 pm

Dream Draft
(Rd.1) Quincy WIlson- CB
(Rd.2) Mailk McDowell/Chris Wormley- 3-4 DE
(Rd.3) Tim Williams- 3-4 OLB
(Rd.4) Carlos Watkins- NT
(Rd.5) Duke Riley- ILB
(Rd.5) Jamaal WIlliams BYU/ Joe Williams Utah- RB
(Rd.6) Cameron Johnston- P
(Rd.7) Nate Hairston Temple- CB

In addition to the draft I would try to add Gerald Hodges ILB and try to see what Chris Culliver CB has to offer. This way we do not put starting day 1 pressure on Wilson and provide veteran depth at both positions. As we also help out our Special teams.

al bundy's picture

April 19, 2017 at 09:40 pm

People act like these late picks are luxories. Really? This team needs a good corner, slot corner , inside linebackers, edge runner and a couple of fun being backs and guard. Unless my count is wrong we need Every dam pick to fill a need. No gosh and golly gee here TED better bring his a game and make all the picks good.

gerenrique's picture

April 03, 2018 at 07:47 am

You are taking this to a whole new level.

gerenrique's picture

April 03, 2018 at 07:48 am

GaryBaker's picture

September 11, 2018 at 07:50 am

I also heard only about Vincent Taylor that he is a defender of American football for the Miami Dolphins of the National Football League (NFL). He played football in Oklahoma.
I want to write about him an essay for college, football is the kind of sport that develops speed, intelligence, the accuracy of reaction and endurance.
I hope this site https://essayshark.com/write-my-paper-for-cheap.html will help me with my paper.

Tommy_C's picture

October 26, 2018 at 03:26 am

Hey Gary, if you're lookink for the best writing service - check out this one on https://speedypaper.app/

tonnyken's picture

September 06, 2019 at 01:57 am

Your feedback helps me a lot, A very meaningful event, I hope everything will go well http://run-3.online

alisastevenson's picture

November 07, 2019 at 01:23 am

Nicely written. Good work

alisastevenson's picture

November 07, 2019 at 01:23 am

Are you looking for Hanged Man Tarot? It can help you in life queries! Click here to know more:- https://www.yourtarotlife.com/blog/tarot/hanged-man/

Dennishollings's picture

November 07, 2019 at 06:22 am

I have read your article; it is very informative and helpful for me. I admire the valuable information you offer in your articles. Thanks for posting it.

Dennishollings's picture

November 07, 2019 at 06:24 am

Awesome post. Free online kundali matching is really a great way to get insights into the relationship. You may also make your bond stronger by matching Kundali online for free with great accuracy.

Read More:- https://www.mpanchang.com/astrology/kundali-matching/

jennasayman's picture

November 09, 2019 at 02:12 am

I could see Taylor or maybe Woods. I DONT see us drafting an undersized RB. Packers value Pass Protection too much. He may be a pocket rocket ball player but unless he can block it wont happen. https://www.itscalendar.com/printable-calendar.html

Jenna Sayman

cleo96's picture

November 17, 2019 at 07:37 pm

It made sense to me to trade up there, because we had that value on Dawson. ... of the draft, there was optimism that the Buffalo would add to their ranks at wide out.