Derek Sherrod Takes Next Step, Practices in Pads

Following his first practice since 2011, Derek Sherrod followed up today by practicing in pads. It was his first padded practice, as yesterday he practiced without them.

#PACKESRmicroblog

Evan's picture

October 17, 2013 at 12:58 pm

Are these individual blocking drills or has he been doing team stuff too?

I'm just curious if they're using him solely at LT or at RT as well.

RC Packer Fan's picture

October 17, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Great to hear.
I'm not expecting him to contribute much if at all this year, and honestly I hope he doesn't have to, but I'm happy to see he is practicing again.

some guy's picture

October 17, 2013 at 01:11 pm

i will say it now. he will come back and be an important part of this team next year at the latest and i wouldn't be surprised if he plays this year

he's going to be a stud.

Franklin Hillside's picture

October 17, 2013 at 01:38 pm

I like where your head's at, guy.

A Dude's picture

October 17, 2013 at 02:37 pm

Some guy ain't got nothing on A Dude!

jeremy's picture

October 17, 2013 at 02:41 pm

I can only imagine how good that must have felt for him!

I bleed Green More's picture

October 17, 2013 at 02:56 pm

I was thinking he might never get here, glad the team stuck with him.

GBinStL's picture

October 17, 2013 at 03:14 pm

They haven't stuck with him yet....they have 3 weeks to decide what they wanna do. Add him to the roster, place him on IR, or release him.

Evan's picture

October 17, 2013 at 05:03 pm

They've stuck with him by not cutting him at any time in the last two years.

KC's picture

October 17, 2013 at 03:25 pm

If and when he gets into the lineup, he will play RT. There's no way they bench or move Bakhtiari around, he's been solid and improving every week.

Barclay is nothing special. He's been good in the run game but is very suspect in protection. The Packers were play Sherrod at RT before his injury, cause Bulaga had settled in at left tackle in 2011.

Stroh's picture

October 17, 2013 at 08:27 pm

This year I would say he only plays due to injury at either LT or RT. But next training camp, move Bulaga back to RT and have Sherrod play LT. He's got prototypical measurable and intangibles for LT. He's like Clifton was at LT.

Steven's picture

October 18, 2013 at 02:17 am

And take out baktairi? No freaking way. Bahktairi is a steal. Hes playing the best of any tackle in his class. Should of went early. He is our lt of the future.

hayward4president's picture

October 17, 2013 at 03:52 pm

This is all well n good....but I'd rather hear about guys that may or may not play Sunday.Juuuusst sayin...

Ma Linger's picture

October 17, 2013 at 06:31 pm

Ya he may be able to go in five weeks. He isn't exactly in football shape.

Mojo's picture

October 17, 2013 at 04:04 pm

Don't know how this will turn out, but I'm glad for the Packers & Sherrod, but mostly for Sherrod.

If you read the story from a short time ago from the JSentinel, then you know what hell he went through. His leg was basically in two pieces held together by fibers and skin. Then the emergency surgery didn't line things up as well as they could have, which led to his second period of rehab. Yet he stuck with it and endured criticism from all the idiots out there about how he was injury prone and a bust. For this reason alone I'd love for him to have a successful career. Plus from everyone I've heard talk about him he comes across as a decent guy.

And the Packers would greatly benefit from a quality tackle whether it be as a LT, RT or backup. So best of luck Derek.

The TKstinator's picture

October 17, 2013 at 07:57 pm

I've met him.
He definitely seemed like a "good guy"; the kind of young man you like to see succeed.
He was a first rounder for a reason. Now I think we have to remain patient. If he can contribute this season, great!
But I really think next season would be realistic.

However, if he wants to kick ass sooner, we'd all be foolhardy to oppose him in that regard.

Jamie's picture

October 17, 2013 at 05:35 pm

I echo KC and others projecting Sherrod as our future RT. Bak is on his way at LT and Barclay hasn't shown marked improvement since his inconsistent play play season.

Ma Linger's picture

October 17, 2013 at 06:33 pm

Lets hope that Sherrod, who was only part time prior to his demise, couldn't cut it and kept making mistakes is much better now after a two bone fracture in his leg. Ya I'll beleive it when I see it.

Jamie's picture

October 17, 2013 at 09:45 pm

^^^ smells rancid vag...swims away.