Cory's Corner: Still More Work To Do

Brian Gutekunst continues to show plenty of surprises.

Just because nobody saw it coming doesn’t mean it’s a bad move.

Packers general manager Brian Gutekunst has been making a pretty fine living out of zigging when others have been zagging.

And he did it again by signing Sammy Watkins to a low risk one-year, $4 million deal. Is the eight-year wideout that has averaged 632 yards and 4.25 touchdowns a season a replacement for Davante Adams? No way. Adams was and is a unicorn, the upper crust of NFL wideouts. But I would rather pay Watkins $4 million a year than give Marquez Valdes-Scantling three years and $30 million.

One of the most desirable qualities by this front office has been versatility and that’s exactly what Watkins brings by being able to play outside and in the slot. The 28-year-old can do a lot of things very well, but most importantly, he can get behind the defense and make the offense more dynamic.

Now, everything is not rosy. There is still a lot of pressure on Gutekunst to hit at least one home run with four picks in the top 60. There’s always the chance that Gutekunst still has a curveball left in his arsenal by signing Will Fuller or Cole Beasley.

But even if Gutekunst does make another free agent wideout addition, the Packers cannot ignore wide receiver in the draft again. Green Bay passed on Tee Higgins and Michael Pittman in 2020 — the Packers cannot afford to do that again, especially with another deep wideout draft pool. This may not have the most elite talent, but it is about as deep as 2014, which, ironically enough, is the same year Watkins was taken with the fourth overall pick.

Watkins was a nice move because it gives the Packers a vertical element and he's a veteran receiver that is an excellent leader. That’s a beautiful signing for a team that’s on the doorstep of drafting a green playmaker and putting a ton of pressure on him right from the get go.

S0 I didn’t think Watkins was coming to Green Bay and neither did you. Who cares? And no, this isn’t Devin Funchess Part 2. He didn’t play a regular season snap for the Packers thanks to taking a COVID year in 2020 and reaching an injury settlement on Aug. 27 and getting released before the 2021 season. We don’t even know if Funchess would’ve made the roster.

Watkins is going to contribute because he’s a smart player that will mesh with Aaron Rodgers. Remember, Rodgers absolutely loves precision and that’s exactly what the Packers got with Watkins.

You can be happy about this move, but just remember, the Packers aren’t done with the wide receiver room yet.

-------------------

Cory Jennerjohn is a graduate from UW-Oshkosh and has been in sports media for over 15 years. He was a co-host on "Clubhouse Live" and has also done various radio and TV work as well. He has written for newspapers, magazines and websites. He currently is a columnist for CHTV and also does various podcasts. He recently earned his Masters degree from the University of Iowa. He can be found on Twitter: @Coryjennerjohn

beerandbrats's picture

April 16, 2022 at 06:34 am

Nice write up Cory. Considering our current situation, Watkins almost sounds too good to be true! Let's hope he stays healthy provides a consistent downfield threat this year!

HawkPacker's picture

April 16, 2022 at 06:42 am

I think this was a great signing. He is a very good WR and it takes some pressure off of the draft for WR's. Yes, it is imperative that we draft multiple WR's but now they all don't have be ready to go from day one.

Good article.

NickPerry's picture

April 16, 2022 at 07:00 am

IF Watkins can stay healthy and obviously that's a BIG if, I actually like this signing quite a bit. When he's healthy, he's a decent WR who CAN contribute. It's also a smart move by Gute. It didn't cost much, he knows the offense, and he's a good blocker in the run game. It gives the Packers another veteran WR who KNOWS the offense which IMO is a big deal.

This is classic Gute...Sign a FA at a position you'll also add to in an upcoming draft. I think you'll see a WR, DL, Edge, Safety, and another WR taken with the first 5 picks. Probably not in that order, but IMO it will be some combination of those positions. I'd imagine OT and TE will be address on day 3, but also players who will help with ST.

Side note I just can't help myself from mentioning... I heard a Pat McAfee clip where Rodgers was excited about the Sammy Watkins signing, BUT he still won't be available for OTA's or anything voluntary. I'm sorry, maybe from now on ANYTHING Rodgers does or DOESN'T do will bug the shit out of me. Think what you want, but of you're being paid the way Rodgers is being paid, IMO you SHOULD be there..Mandatory or not. I for one am really tired of the ass kissing going on in GB. I don't want to hear it's in his contract, he doesn't have to either. IMO he SHOULD...Period!

Edit...Yep, I think I do really dislike #12 now.

April 16, 2022 at 07:16 am

Injuries are the concern. That is my concern with Pickens too. And several others in this draft. Fill the room and draft BPA.

KnockTheSnotOutOfYou's picture

April 16, 2022 at 07:53 am

Nick,
Go to the back of the line! As a person I cannot even pretend that I like him.

April 16, 2022 at 06:58 am

Fill the room. - Thats my take on the WRs. Sammy was a great pick-up. And Gute can't stop there. Andy Isabella has been given permission to seek a trade. Common Gute go get em.

April 16, 2022 at 07:25 am

I believe we could get Terry McLaurin too.

April 16, 2022 at 10:14 am

They have three veterans in the clubhouse and Taylor as a short zone/slant guy to play sp teams. Reload with this draft and secure 4.3 speed. You're starting to act like a Packer Fan stuck in a time machine--Forward march.

April 16, 2022 at 10:29 am

Agreed: this is a past draft crush re-emerging.

AZ kept adding guys on top of Isabella. He couldn't get regular snaps on a team that played a lot of 3 and 4 WR packages even with NUK missing a ton of games, and with Christian Kirk gone, they're letting him move on...that should tell us something. A "mighty-mite" WR who was never mighty and would be the third small WR competing for snaps on a team that likes to play 2 TEs. There are plenty of Andy Isabellas in this draft.

April 16, 2022 at 10:52 am

It's really hard to keep 3 slot guys on a roster unless they're planning on keeping 7 WRs and I don't see them doing that.

April 16, 2022 at 11:23 am

Agreed, unless one of those WR is a designated returner/gunner who is your emergency WR (e.g. Roell Preston, Jeff Janis) on game day.

April 16, 2022 at 11:39 am

I believe Amari Rodgers is too small. (Drops too many to gain Rodgers trust). I suggested Isbella because Cobb is often injured. ------ And I doubt they get Skyy Moore. Whom James Jones thinks the guy is the best WR in the draft.--- It was about getting a veteran and Drafting a OL in Rd.1. ---

Coldworld's picture

April 16, 2022 at 11:57 am

Rodgers is bigger than Cobb. He’s not small, he’s just not tall: 5’9, 212. (Cobb is listed as 5’10, 192). Moore is yet another slot at 5’10, 195. Isabella is the smallest of all at 5’9, 188.

That would suggest that if Rodgers is too small, they all are.

Isabella has 31 receptions for 426 yards and three TDs in 3 seasons on a WR heavy O. I find it hard to get excited by that kind of production.

I’d rather give Gafford a chance on the cheap if you want to go small. At 5’10, 184, the same size, considerably faster and can carry the ball in an option context. Can also return kicks.

April 16, 2022 at 12:53 pm

Cut and Paste off college site. You do know he was a RB? Seems he shrunk huh.
Andy Isabella
School: Massachusetts
Position: RB/WR
5-10, 195lb (178cm, 88kg)

April 16, 2022 at 01:04 pm

You want to trade for a guy that had one catch for 13 yards last year? I'm pretty sure Taylor can do that.

April 16, 2022 at 01:38 pm

I'm saying he's a veteran that Rodgers would throw too. People it's the guys who can catch and run the tree. Find the openings. He's a freak. Cobb is old. And picking up veterans changes your draft needs. He's a Free Agent next year.

April 16, 2022 at 01:49 pm

Cobb may not make the cut unless he can prove he has regained some speed.

April 16, 2022 at 04:15 pm

Cobb is still on the roster because #12 says he's still on the roster.

Coldworld's picture

April 16, 2022 at 01:20 pm

The NFL lists Isabella at 188 LBs and a tad under 5’9.

But then again, fact has never been your thing has it.

April 16, 2022 at 02:44 pm

Well - thats one for you then isn't it. Nice Find. I'm sure you think that makes it Official. I'm seeing Rumors and suggest that he would be asset. And you only think about put downs. Boo hoo -

April 16, 2022 at 05:43 pm

Yes. Maybe they can pick him up and he can have 2 catches for 26 yards this year.

April 16, 2022 at 08:31 pm

Perhaps you could link the source of your rumors. I suppose if they could get him for a conditional 7th why not? Otherwise nope.

April 16, 2022 at 12:49 pm

Amari is a bit stiff, not a lot of wiggle. Skyy will have to be bagged high second round, or as J.J. prefers with the #28. If they feel good about these guys then move up and down.

April 16, 2022 at 01:08 pm

Move up? . Rumors are hot for Julio Jones! I prefer Watson.Rd. 1. But After Sammy was signed. Expect another. And thats why I changed my draft possibilities. Expect Depth. Not Need.

April 16, 2022 at 01:10 pm

I would be happy with Watson @ #28 and Skyy with a move to the top of round two.

April 16, 2022 at 11:41 am

The two I suggested have 4.4 speed.

April 16, 2022 at 12:52 pm

Rivera won't move McLaurin. They f**ked up that gameplan when they selected Sternberger.

April 16, 2022 at 01:11 pm

McLaurin was their best Offensive Player last year. Rumors have it they want to move him, because he will be a FA.

April 16, 2022 at 01:17 pm

I would use 2023 picks and a high second to sniff them out. Olave and Wilson will be gone by #17.

Coldworld's picture

April 16, 2022 at 01:39 pm

McLaurin is likely to be a one year rental. He’s eying up a big contract next year. Washington might trade him given their other issues, but at a steep cost for one year and I don’t know that we could offer him enough by way of extension. Doesn’t seem very likely. Good player though.

April 16, 2022 at 01:51 pm

Yes, I would expect D.C. to re-sign him, in any case.

April 16, 2022 at 02:00 pm

Of Course he's a 1 year rental. So is Watkins. This is about GOING All in! If it isn't, You Draft WRS.

Coldworld's picture

April 16, 2022 at 03:34 pm

Watkins was a FA. A cheap redemption pick up.

April 16, 2022 at 04:13 pm

You don't pay what it will cost to get him if you don't plan to keep him long term.

April 16, 2022 at 08:34 pm

This makes no sense at all. If he's their best offensive player why not keep him, tag him and trade him like the Packers did with Adams? Why give up his cheap salary a year early. I mean it's a dumb franchise, but not that dumb.

BirdDogUni's picture

April 16, 2022 at 07:34 am

I don't know why Devonte Wyatt is now ranked in the 37th BPA slot, but I don't think he'll make it out of the 1st round. (Could be wrong?) WRs are flying off the board earlier and earlier. Alec Pierce was off the board before 53. I would've taken Mafe anyway, but I would've taken Pierce at 59 had he been available. The more I read about Doubs, the more I like him.

PFN
228. Bo Melton WR Rutgers
249. Zander Horvath RB Purdue
258. Jeremiah Moon LB Florida

KnockTheSnotOutOfYou's picture

April 16, 2022 at 09:01 am

Bird,
I agree about Devontae....not making it out of round1. Would be a phenomenal side kick for Clark. That would be one hell of an inside pass rush.

I'd like to see Gutey keep 22 and 28 as too many good players available. Frankly barring a top player falling unexpectedly there 'probably' isn't a WR I'd take in round 1 over the top Edge, DL, and OT's available. Though I add everything depends on how the draft unfolds.

I am confidant however that if Gutey did not take an elite WR in round 1 he HAS to move up in top 5 to 10 picks in round 2 to draft WR's like Pickens, Watson for sure.

For what it is worth my WR favorites:

Pickens - Pickens is a stud and this guy is the real deal who can do it all and have not even begun to scratch the surface.
Jameson W. - what more is there to say?
Garrett Wilson - the second coming of Adam's
Khalil Shakir- simply best hands in draft and saying a lot. Very shifty after catch. Watch his highlight reel. This guy is flying under the radar and if you haven't watched his highlights you must do it. Unbelievable!
Dotson - a very good all around receiver.

If the Packers could get Pickens and Khalil I'd be ecstatic! However, there are so many good WR's in mid rounds that would be complimentary to a # 1 WR like Pickens, Jameson, Burks, or maybe a Watson. Some of my favorite mid round WR's are:
-Josh Johnson as he has some shiftyness like Adam's making guys miss.
-Calvin Austin - no one like him...a game changer gadget player.
- Danny Gray
-Velus Jones

MainePackFan's picture

April 16, 2022 at 09:35 am

Shakir isn't fond of blocking, that's a problem in a ML system.

April 16, 2022 at 10:31 am

I'm just not a buyer on Garrett Wilson, at least, not at the point in the draft where he's likely to go.

April 16, 2022 at 11:04 am

They would have to move up to btw #8-12. He is the best prospect as a guy who can snap ankles in and out of breaks and RAC to the house. I still prefer a target for Olave, then move to their taller post guy like Watson or Pierce in the second rd.

April 16, 2022 at 11:09 am

Neither Olave nor Wilson was the best pass-catcher for the Buckeyes in 2021. So many good targets...who do you double? This is part of why I think Ruckert could be a steal...or he could be nothing more than what he showed in college.

April 16, 2022 at 06:28 pm

I believe Olave was still the best route runner of the three. OSU all-time TD leader. Smith-Njigba had the big yardage as he was not doubled as much.
Williams had to transfer out to Alabama since he couldn't crack the lineup.

BirdDogUni's picture

April 16, 2022 at 11:00 am

I like Pickens. (He has attitude for sure.) As long as his attitude doesn't "hurt" the Packers on the field, I'd love to have him.

Shakir - I was high on him when I first watched his highlight reel. Then, I went back and watched Amari Rodgers highlight reel again, and I saw the same guy.

My two favorites, probably because I've watched everything, including interviews, are Watson and Pierce. It just seems like they both should be Packers. (I just gave them the kiss of death, because in the last 20 years the only two guys the Packers have picked that I really wanted were CM3 and AJ Dillon.) (Granted, I wanted Dillon in the 3rd round though.) Lol

I love Austin, Gray, V. Jones, and Bo Melton... I want Gutey to draft at least one of them, if not two. MaLF acknowledging we need more speed tells me they may try to get a WR/Returner/Gadget Guy. At least I hope so. We need someone with blazing speed in the Irvin role.

IDK much about Rico Gafford, maybe he can play that role? He supposedly put up a 4.25 or 4.27 - 40?

MainePackFan's picture

April 17, 2022 at 09:27 am

Pierce grew up a Packers fan, so that's another box checked :)

April 16, 2022 at 09:53 am

I could see the Packers having Jones ranked higher because of age and arm length. I'm hoping for Winfrey for the pass rush but I'd plenty happy with Jones. He can play NT, has the length to play DE and the quickness to play some 3T.

I'm disappointed in PFN's big board on the draft simulator this year, they haven't updated nearly as much as other years. They still have Velus Jones at like 250 and Josh Paschal in the 190s. I don't think Tony Pauline is as involved as he used to be, he hasn't written nearly as many pro day articles as he did in the past.

BTW I looked at Pauline's top 300 yesterday and he had Velus at 77, ahead of Tolbert, Pierce and Doubs. He has Tolbert at 91, Pierce at 101 and Doubs at 118. He talks to a lot of scouts so maybe he's right but that seems real low for Tolbert and Pierce. He has Bo Melton at 130 and Ezukanma at 143. From what I've seen Ezukanma looks like the last of the 2nd tier guys but I figured early 4th for him. I love watching his tape, he's such a natural pass catcher. I doubt he's ever a #1 but seems like a guy that could stick around for 10 years as a 2 or 3 WR.

April 16, 2022 at 11:07 am

He's written one every other day the last couple of weeks and has his podcast. After Joel Bushbaum, his conjuring usually hits the 80% + mark on board projections and when selected in the respective drafts.. The latest board ranking he compiles after all the Pro Days which he attends in some cases: Watson # 51, Pierce is #64, Skyy #65, Doubs #87, Jones @ #164, Tolbert is #61,Pickens # 89, Wilson #13, Olave #26,
Williams #17 who is over-rated. Melton is #127, Phillips @ #120.

April 16, 2022 at 11:39 am

That's quite a bit different than the list I saw yesterday.

April 16, 2022 at 01:05 pm

I copied the board on Tues. or Wed. You're correct, he's already changed it. I compare his ranks with Gil Brandt's and then try to distill the brain waves down to NFL reality, hoping Gutedkunst and Company will fortify the offense and get a CB for the dime. If the Edge isn't there, don't panic, sign a free agent like Ingram.

April 16, 2022 at 01:07 pm

It's definitely the highest I've seen Velus Jones. I hope he's wrong about that.

April 16, 2022 at 01:15 pm

People like his speed and maturity.

KnockTheSnotOutOfYou's picture

April 16, 2022 at 07:04 pm

LL,
INTERESTING and thanks! Was unaware!

April 16, 2022 at 08:40 pm

I was a pretty surprised at his WR board. But I do think he talks to a lot of scouts and isn't just doing a flavor of the week like a lot of the writers.

BirdDogUni's picture

April 16, 2022 at 08:43 pm

I think at least 7 WRs go in the 1st round, if we take a WR in the 1st round, maybe 8.

KnockTheSnotOutOfYou's picture

April 17, 2022 at 06:03 pm

Bird,
I have hard time seeing more than 6 going in 1st round. We shall see!

If there are that many taken than select some of those top rated Edge, DL, or OT who have fallen. Then trade up in 2nd and take a Pickens, Watson, Kahilil, Metchie type WR.

BirdDogUni's picture

April 16, 2022 at 11:13 am

IDK how it will shake out LLC, but I think WRs are going to be flying off the board early and more often than anyone might imagine.

I'm betting on Christian Watson going in the 1st round and Alec Pierce gone before our pick at 53.

Anyone counting on getting guys like Velus Jones, Danny Gray, and Taquan Thornton in the 3rd round better have a high pick in the 3rd round.

I'm sure some guys will fall due to things we don't know about. Thornton's hand size might worries some GMs, but like someone else said, "He's had his hands his whole life, he's used to them..."

Packerpasty's picture

April 16, 2022 at 11:28 am

Watson would be a bit of a gamble, ran simple routes and lots of inferior competition in college...could be great but don't expect it right off the bat...

April 17, 2022 at 01:14 pm

Who did Jerry Rice compete against in college?

April 16, 2022 at 12:24 pm

Now that I heard that about Wyatt I wonder about Travis Jones making it to the Packers. I didn't think he'd make it out of the first round anyway. I'm hoping for a trade down from 28 and grabbing Winfrey towards the top of the 2nd but Gutey seems to like to up more than down. Gutey looks around "hey, we got two 4ths! I can't use these!"

BirdDogUni's picture

April 16, 2022 at 09:10 pm

You're not funny LLC. You know how I hate to trade up and waste 4th round picks!

You know as well as I do the visit with Wyatt could've taken him off our board or confirmed his position on it. We won't know until Gutey tells us. Either verbally or non-verbally. If Wyatt is available and Gutey takes him, we'll know.

I know the Seahawks have 40 and 41 in the second round. I'd really like to get both of them somehow. (I'll leave it to Gutey to figure out how.) Maybe 22 and a pick from next year for both 40 and 41? (IDK which pick, but I'll let Gutey figure it out.)

If we had 28, 40, 41, 53, and 59 - I think Gutey could really do some damage.

What do you think?

April 17, 2022 at 09:37 am

I know, it drives me crazy too. Especially since they haven't had a good 3rd round pick in so long and 4ths have worked out quite a bit.

Seattle would really have to like somebody that high. Going by the Rich Hill Chart you could trade 22 and 59 for Seattle's 40, 41 and 72. The difference is about an early 5th round pick and there's usually a cost of going up. Maybe 22 and 53 for 40,41, 72 and a late round pick or next year's 6th or something.

My worry is the defensive guys I like would go before 40. I'd like to see them get Winfrey or Cine. I think Watson or Pickens would be there at 40.

April 17, 2022 at 10:10 am

I couldn't get the Seattle trade but I traded 22 to the Lions for 32, 66 and a 5th and next year's 4th. Burks was gone at 28 and Winfrey at 32 so I traded with Lions again 32 to 34 and 97(that would never happen unless they really wanted a 5th year on a QB). I definitely could live with this draft. I think Tolbert is one of the WRs ready to come in and play right away and Watson can play the MVS role to start. I like Fatukasi late, he can challenge Barnes for the thumper role and played a lot of STs snaps. I'd like to see them get a speed rusher and Barno definitely qualifies.

28.

234.
Blaise Andries
OG Minnesota

2023 DET 4th
2023 CHI 6th

April 17, 2022 at 01:17 pm

I like the Hall selection, but where is the RT in round two? They have to plug that hole.

KnockTheSnotOutOfYou's picture

April 17, 2022 at 06:05 pm

Bird,
MVS had the biggest hands I'd have ever heard of on a WR with 10.5". Did a lot of good...huh?

I'm not worried about Tyquan....there is a use for a guy with that speed. Jet sweeps.. slants...bubble screens...

Him or Calvin Austin baby!!!

April 16, 2022 at 09:56 am

I still believe an OT will need to be snagged in the second round and be a starter. Enough monkey-poo farting around, solidify the front. I like moving into the second rd for at least three picks.

EnemyTerritory's picture

April 16, 2022 at 10:00 am

Off field concerns for Wyatt based on report from Larry Brown Sports. Multiple domestic issues. https://larrybrownsports.com/football/georgia-dt-devonte-wyatt-being-dro...

April 16, 2022 at 10:54 am

Well that will drop him fast. Off the Packers board completely I'd imagine.

April 16, 2022 at 11:09 am

I like Hall as a three to five tech and the pass rusher they need to supplement the existing front.

April 16, 2022 at 11:44 am

I'd be happy with Jones, Winfrey or Hall. After that the chance of getting someone that can help with the pass rush gets pretty slim.

April 16, 2022 at 01:09 pm

Gunter may surprise people. The Penn State guy?

April 16, 2022 at 05:29 pm

Yeah I meant IDL. Edge goes quite a bit deeper. Gunter, Paschal or Isaiah Thomas would be nice. I'd also like to see them grab a speed guy but I'm not sure if they are interested in a smaller, faster player. Barry and Rebrovich both had smaller players on their last teams(Floyd is listed at 240) so it will be interesting if they change their parameters in the AP(after Pettine) years.

April 17, 2022 at 01:19 pm

Paschal has a fast step. Probably off the board in round three.

blondy45's picture

April 17, 2022 at 10:56 am

Arnold Ebiketie, is a rising Edge in this year's draft. He should go in the pick 33-50 range. The Pack would have to trade down from 28 to get him or Johan Dotson at a more reasonable price. Also, we would have had to hit a WR on pick 22 to justify drafting them IMO. I am sorry but I keep dreaming of getting Jordan Davis at 22. I know it is a dream though. I fear 5 WRs will be gone before #22. Gute will have to Zig or Zag to get his WRs later. I hope the crazy QB picks (3-4 of them) before 22 would really help!

April 16, 2022 at 08:45 pm

I like Ebikitie but when I saw Cam Thomas ran a 6.87 3-cone at 265 lbs I'm hoping he's there at 53 or 59. That's some nice bend at that size.

April 16, 2022 at 11:16 am

Jarran Reed's background didn't scare the Packers, and I'm sure they did their homework on him before offering a deal. They had Wyatt in for a visit, which means they're well aware of his background and are likely scouting his character. He's going to go in the first round...likely to a team that can afford to take a flier on that payday.

April 16, 2022 at 11:22 am

The Contract language should box him in on any behavioral issues. The risk is wasting a high pick if he falters.

April 16, 2022 at 12:27 pm

Reed was a one time deal years ago though. And a one year contract.

BirdDogUni's picture

April 16, 2022 at 11:19 am

That really sucks. Didn't we use a top 30 visit on him? Gutey won't draft him unless he knows it was an isolated incident, but there's no way to know if it'll happen again.

With the way things are today though, I would listen to Devonte's side and make my own determination. I wish him the best.

NickPerry's picture

April 17, 2022 at 09:11 am

I've been doing mock drafts on 2 different sites, PFF and The Draft Network. It's absolutely crazy the players who are still available to me on TDN at 22 and 28 when compared to PFF.

I've landed Watson more times than I could count on TDN in the 2nd round. As enticing as Watson is after his performance in the underwear olympics, I have a issue taking him that high. The guys drop percentage is higher than just about anyone, and he played against lessor talent.

I have this sneaky suspicion Watson lasts until Round 2. Hey, I may be wrong, I've been wrong MANY times before. This was done on TDN

22.Chris Olave WR
28.Jaquan Brisker S
53.George Pickens WR
59.Drake Jackson EDGE,
92. Abraham Lucas OT
132. Zach Tom OT
140.Romeo Doubs WR

IF the Packers could walk out of the draft with even something remotely close to this, that would be an INSTANT HR by Gute!

BirdDogUni's picture

April 16, 2022 at 07:53 am

Olave went 21 to the Patriots. Steelers took Zion Johnson at 20. I find it difficult to believe neither would take Jordan Davis, but stranger things have happened.

22: R1 P22 DL Jordan Davis - Georgia
28: R1 P28 EDGE Jermaine Johnson - Florida State
53: R2 P21 WR Skyy Moore - Western Michigan
59: R2 P27 WR Alec Pierce - Cincinnati
92: R3 P28 TE Jelani Woods - Virginia
132: R4 P27 RB Pierre Strong Jr. - South Dakota State
140: R4 P35 LB Alex Wright - UAB
171: R5 P28 WR Velus Jones Jr. - Tennessee
228: R7 P7 OT Obinna Eze - TCU
249: R7 P28 OT Nick Zakelj - Fordham
258: R7 P37 S Tariq Carpenter - Georgia Tech

KnockTheSnotOutOfYou's picture

April 16, 2022 at 09:06 am

Like the stocking up on big defenders in round 1, but if Ojabo was there at 28 I'd take him as the edge rusher over Jermaine (who I do really like. Quick but not so good at setting edge).
If Pickens or Khalil were there at 53 and 59 I'd take either or both of those guys.

cheezyone's picture

April 16, 2022 at 07:56 am

I like your picks BDG. Especially Christian Watson. Go Pack Go

Pantz_Burp's picture

April 16, 2022 at 08:22 am

Upcoming Draft: can you feel the RuMbLe? It's a coming...Gute go with your gut! I'm getting as nervous as a looong-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs! I like the risk/reward with Sammy W and his potential role of a replacement for MVS. Sammy is an interesting dude (listen to Tyler Dunne's interview with him a couple years ago if you want)...I am pulling for him.

I still think a TE is important and needs to be emphasized like ST was hopefully addressed and will be better. Also, a RB is a real possibility with AJ's contract...? I love the draft...almost as much as kissing Sweet Pea with our legs dangling over the tailgate and fireflies all around us...I digress. Here is to autumn, that chill in the air...the chili on the stove and Packer football about to begin....go, go, gooo!

>^••^<

Pantz_Burp's picture

April 16, 2022 at 08:10 am

I would like Christian Watson, Lazard and Big Dog lined up next to each other! If I was a DB, I be like "check PLEASE"!

BirdDogUni's picture

April 16, 2022 at 08:45 am

Imagine if we added Alec Pierce and Jelani Woods to that group and they were all on the field in the Gold Zone. ; )

Pantz_Burp's picture

April 16, 2022 at 09:04 am

Yesss go BirdDog go, preach it into existence on the sledding hill! Heyyy, waittt....how big a boy are ya BirdDog? I will have ya line up next to Big Dog. Big Dog, meet Bird Dog (at the QB)!

Edit: what hell is going on out there!!! I lost ALL credibility! (not that I had any to begin with). I put Big Dog on defense....hmmm? No excuses, just a mental relapse of Chester Marcol running his FG attempt in for a TD against da Bears...and, Phillip Epps hopping on one-leg down the side lines. Happy Easter, a tad early....

BirdDogUni's picture

April 16, 2022 at 11:31 am

LMAO... Did you enjoy your coffee this morning? Ustacould play some QB back in the day, but that was in the 70's and 80s. Played a couple years of JUCO ball. Football and Baseball.

I did play the "Doug Pederson" role in 1990 for the RAF Mildenhall Marauder's. I punted and played backup QB to a young stud like Randall Cunningham. He got hurt in the first half of a game against RAF Fairford. I came in and went 6 for 6 in the second half with one TD and ran for another.

That was my last dance though. : )

BirdDogUni's picture

April 16, 2022 at 11:33 am

To be fair, we were a seriously good running team. That's why only 6 attempts in the second half... ; )

April 16, 2022 at 10:24 am

Imagine Lewis retiring and snagging two more TEs from this draft, McBride and an Inline guy.

Coldworld's picture

April 16, 2022 at 08:14 am

I am surprised at the author’s surprise at signing Sammy Watkins. It seemed inevitable that we’d pick up a cheap veteran looking to try to revive his career, which is essentially where Watkins is.

Nice find, I confess I had overlooked Watkins, but he’s had consistent difficulty staying healthy and has had only one 600 yard plus season since 2015 (if memory serves). A nice piece at a good price and he should help with the transition and who knows, maybe we get lucky and he stays on the field more. Gute had been ahead of the curve at digging up these higher upside lower cost bargain vets: touch wood!

PatrickGB's picture

April 16, 2022 at 08:37 am

Cold, I agree. I knew Gutie would find someone at a decent price. As you noted, if he stays healthy, #12 will make him look pretty good for a lower cost option at WR.

Guam's picture

April 16, 2022 at 09:07 am

Now if we can just get QB1 to develop "trust" with Watkins, the Packers might have something. Everyone assumes that because Watkins is a veteran, Rodgers will automatically have "trust" with him, but "trust" really never happened with Graham, Funchess and Kendricks. In fact the only veteran (that I can remember) that Rodgers clicked with was TE Jared Cook. Our QB1 is not an easy guy to please. Let's hope Watkins can make the magic happen.

WestCoastPackerBacker's picture

April 16, 2022 at 11:05 am

For some reason, having Jimmy Graham didn’t really ever work out in Green Bay. I don’t think it has anything to do with Rodgers trusting him though. Rodgers spoke very highly of him every step of the way, and that indicates his trust. Funchess never actually pay played in Green Bay due to sitting out the COVID year and then getting hurt. so I don’t see how you can use him as an example. Better examples are Jared cook and Marcedes Lewis.

Guam's picture

April 16, 2022 at 12:00 pm

Rodgers speaks highly of many of his receivers, he just doesn't throw to them very often. He loves Lewis, but rarely throws to him. I could have added Bennett to that list along with Graham and Kendricks. That is a problem and you can call it whatever you like. I call it "trust".

It hurts our offense when our QB doesn't diversify his targets.

BirdDogUni's picture

April 16, 2022 at 09:11 am

I may be more optimistic than I should be, but Sammy could have 2 - 3 more decent years left. Health is a concern, but it is possible a new environment, new strength and conditioning program, and being in our offense can all contribute to a revived career.

IDK if he an AR can get on the same page to the degree he and Adams were, but I actually hope MaLF and Clements encourage him to really spread the ball around. When he was dishing it to the open receiver he was wicked effective.

Will be fun to see who they add in the draft, but Watkins, Lazard, and Cobb will likely see the bulk of the reps early in the season.

I really hope Big Bob is healthy by opening day. That would greatly enhance our receiving capabilities too. Big Bob is capable, and can be a great asset if we get him into the flow early and often, especially in the Gold Zone.

April 16, 2022 at 10:32 am

Tonyan is probably a PUP candidate.

April 16, 2022 at 10:40 am

Hard to say. Depends on the severity/collateral damage on the injury, and the Packers will know better than any of us where he is in his rehab. 7-9 month recoveries are rare, but not unheard of. He's playing for a couple times the vet minimum. That said, I think the Tonyan contract was more to hold him to see how he does and keep themselves first in line to sign him if he returns and plays well.

April 16, 2022 at 11:26 am

Yes, he likely would have been gone to free agency without the ACL. I would be conservative with a 12 month recovery, getting him on the field in early November.

Coldworld's picture

April 16, 2022 at 12:18 pm

It’s more than just recovering fitness, it typically takes a while to get from that to prior levels of athleticism with ACLs. Players often are less effective for a while.

I think we overlook it, but I do think that the team likes Davis’ upside rather more we take into account. He’s a player who transferred from QB to WR to TE and ended up being used mostly to block out of team necessity. Thus he had to learn the position on entering the NFL. He has the size, 6’4, 252 and athleticism: 7.89 RAS and ran a 4.65 second 40-yard dash at his pro day with a 9-5 broad jump and 23 bench press reps.

April 16, 2022 at 01:27 pm

I like Davis over bringing Lewis back onboard. The draft has some able bodies with guys like McBride and the 3rd-4th rounds for Inline talent. Must be 6-4 to 6-6" with 250 lbs on the frame from pro style offenses. Ferguson comes to mind as a guy, but I am apprehensive considering his concussions.

April 16, 2022 at 09:38 am

If he can even stay healthy for half the season it might be long enough for a rookie or two to get their feet wet and recover from a couple of Rodgers' patented death stares. I read somewhere that Watkins had 292 yards in the first 5 games last year and then had only two games over 30 yards once he came back. So he was pretty productive until his first injury. It would be great if he stayed healthy all season but I'd settle for getting 33% more than Baltimore did.

April 16, 2022 at 10:36 am

He just needs to make the catch to move the chains and take the post and go routes for long yardage. They don't need to over work him or get him tangled up in wide zone run schemes.

April 16, 2022 at 10:36 am

Watkins is a guy who's looking at his last chance to put together a year that would help him to net a multi-year deal with meaningful bonus money. It's the same M.O. as Campbell, Kirksey, and Kelly. It's a mixed bag, so here's hoping for a hit.

He's played for some of the coaching staff in the past, so they know him to some degree, which probably moved him ahead of Fuller, and likely is coming significantly more cheaply than Julio (who will be looking for a more substantial one-year deal, or a multi-year commitment). Nobody says that the Packers won't draft a WR or two and still sign one of those guys.

EnemyTerritory's picture

April 16, 2022 at 09:18 am

The GM will fish the pond after June 1 cutdowns and the draft. Watkins provides the flexibility to now play the draft more on his terms. I’d not be surprised to see a trade down at 22 into R2 and then try to return back at 29-32 aka the NO trade a few years ago. I don’t follow the college ranks and can’t comment on players to take but I’m Leary of taking a small school WR in R1

Pantz_Burp's picture

April 16, 2022 at 09:27 am

I hear ya ET, "the GM will fish the pond after June 1 cutdowns and the draft". Let's hope we land a biggun!

<{\}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}})}}}}}}}}}}-<

April 16, 2022 at 10:59 am

IDK, you can only pack so many WRs in their room. And on the roster.

Coldworld's picture

April 16, 2022 at 06:50 pm

Well, we can get a lot of WRs in the room between now and September. Are we prepared to be ruthless about winnowing out the best regardless of origin?

I certainly hope we will be doing that with the back of the roster/STers this year rather than just holding over known faces not particularly stellar at STs or adequate elsewhere.

April 16, 2022 at 08:59 pm

I doubt they will be too ruthless with Cobb and GMs don't usually give up on 3rd round picks after one year but it does occasionally happen. Have to think Lazard and Watson are safe.

TheKanataThrilla's picture

April 16, 2022 at 09:23 am

There is a risk and reward for both Sammy and the Packers. Another injury and Sammy might be done for in the league. A great season and Sammy may get one more nice contract before he is done. Packers would be in a tough situation if Watkins goes down to injury again leaving the WR room pretty thin and inexperienced, but they only had limited money they could throw at a vet.

I have to love that this doesn't force the Packers into moving up to ensure that they get the WR they want. If anything I wouldn't mind a trade back with our 28th pick and collecting another pick or 2 along with a second round pick. Use that 2nd rounder on Watson, or Pickens. Use our 2nd rounder on Pierce.

Gman1976's picture

April 16, 2022 at 10:18 am

I fully expect both Watkins and Cobb will do some great things, and go down with some kind of injury (just like MVS).

April 16, 2022 at 10:52 am

Again: until 2021, MVS played in 48 of 48 regular season games for the Packers. You're letting the end of 2021 cloud your impression of his longer term availability.

ricky's picture

April 16, 2022 at 09:54 am

The elephant in the room is DK Metcalf and Seattle. Would Seattle part with him for the right price? And would the Packers be willing to give up their first two picks in this draft to get him? Because there are rumors the Jets are interested, and they have pick #10. Therefore, it would take something dramatic to make the move. And, yes, Metcalf would be demanding a huge contract to remain. But recall, the team was ready to match the Raiders offer to Adams. So, apparently they're confident they could afford the extra money on the cap. It becomes a question of whether the Packers are willing to do what is necessary to get a proven commodity, or whether they hope a rookie can progress enough to have a significant impact his first year.

April 16, 2022 at 10:48 am

Why trade picks away from one of the best WR groups in years. They screwed up the 2020 draft and left the WR closet relatively empty, post Adams. Get two or three of these guys.

Ultra750's picture

April 16, 2022 at 10:08 am

I don't see Gutey trading down. He already has alot of picks and you can only have so many rookies. The DK thing is tough. Give up 2 first rounders and a new record contract for a receiver not knowing if he will have attitude issues like in the past.

Ultra750's picture

April 16, 2022 at 10:08 am

April 16, 2022 at 10:47 am

I understand what you're saying, but I don't buy the "no room for rookies" argument. The bottom of the roster is always in flux (and should be) and there's plenty of room on the PS...not to mention, the two-deep is looking for some help at several positions. Some of those guys at the bottom of the roster are going to be there as ST contributors, which likely means some of BG's pet projects as developmental guys from past drafts and UDFA signings are going to hit the bricks. Good teams stockpile talent, and are honest with themselves about who makes the roster better and who is just taking up air.

April 16, 2022 at 11:56 am

I think there will be plenty of room for rookies next year too. Watson will probably be gone and Cobb likely will be too. If they draft Burks they could skip resigning Lazard. Rodgers will have to show something this year to have a spot next year.

How the rookies look this year might have a lot to do with how long Aaron sticks around. If two of them show promise he probably sticks around a while longer.

Coldworld's picture

April 16, 2022 at 12:29 pm

I just want to highlight your comment about the ST compliment and the back end of the roster. If we are serious, we need to get as much competition for those positions on to the 90 and be brutal about upgrading those positions. There is a certain element of being willing to throw mud on the wall and accepting that we want the best contributors, whether they are returning players, draft picks or UDFAs and that it takes numbers to get a better corps in the end sometimes.

April 16, 2022 at 01:37 pm

If they put down the popcorn and focus on moving down from one of the first round picks they can stock talent into the 3rd to 7th rounds and snag contributors. Most of last year's crew can be shown the street.

April 16, 2022 at 09:03 pm

It was more writing than mud last year when they cut both Uphoff and Gainnes. Either one could've upgraded a couple of STs units. The lesson was learned I'd imagine.

gsd3's picture

April 16, 2022 at 10:22 am

Receiving help doesn't just need to come from the WR position. Our tight end group could use an upgrade as well. Coming off the ACL injury, Tonyan is a big question mark as well as a free agent in 2023. Lewis is among the oldest players in the NFL and is also a free agent in 23. Degura is a decent backup.
Seattle will likely be looking QB at some point in the draft. Jordan Love will never see the field in GB. Gute should look into making a move that would be a huge benefit to GB now as well as putting Love in a position where he has a chance at a career. If Love was in the 22 draft, he would likely be the top prospect. Why not explore the possibility of a straight up trade for Noah Fant? If not Fant, a 2nd round pick. Seattle just picked up his option but there is nothing to lose by making an inquiry.

April 16, 2022 at 11:25 am

I still believe Gute will make a trade or sign another veteran WR. The problem with this draft is age, and too many injuries to the WRs. So after Watkins was signed. I believe he will take an OL instead. Of course this does nothing for the longevity of the WRs. But thats just the way it is in the NFL now.

#22 George Karlafits DE Purdue
#28. Kenyan Green. IOL Texas A&M
#53. Travis Jones. DT Conn
#59. Leo Chenal. LB. WI
#92. David Bell. WR. Purdue
#132. Romeo Doubs. WR. Nevada
#140. Matt Araiza. P. SD State
#171. Percy Butler. S. Lou.
#228. Tycen Anderson. S. Toledo
#249. Jordan Jackson. DT Air Force
#258. Jason Poe. G Mercer

April 16, 2022 at 01:40 pm

Moving down for more shots, but losing out on Lloyd at LB and Winfrey DE. Top wides off the board by #17.

#28 Watson WR
#40 McBride TE ( #22 and #92 trade request for #40, #51, #101)
#51 Raimann OT
#53 SKYY WR/KR/PR
#61 Lucas OT ( #59 for #61 and #134 from a trade request)
#101 Gunter EDGE
#132 Wright DE/Five tech
#134 Strong RB S.D. State, RB w/pass pro skill set.
#140 McCollum CB 4.25
#171 Krull TE
#228 Sanborn LB
#249 Anderson S
#258 Ingram RB USC. He will go higher.

April 16, 2022 at 12:42 pm

They already bagged the punter from the Bears.

April 16, 2022 at 12:49 pm

They did; - but this one kicks off- And it's about Competition.

April 16, 2022 at 01:43 pm

They still have the kid from UCLA to challenge Crosby. Bring in a couple free agents to press the Punter.

April 16, 2022 at 02:19 pm

They could. But he won the Ray Guy award. And when I said he kicks off. He was their kicker. So he could back up Crosby with ease.

April 16, 2022 at 06:51 pm

Do a sherman and take him with the three pick...

April 16, 2022 at 09:16 pm

Yikes. I remember where I was that night. Sitting in the neighboring watering hole with a fellow Packer buddy of mine and we both looked at each other and said WTF?

Starr had one of those too though didn't he?

Stachowicz, who was so good he drafted Bucky Scribner two years later. Campbell in the 1st and Stachowicz in the 3rd. Starr batted a 1000 that year. 🙄

April 17, 2022 at 01:32 pm

You should have been at the Packer Draft Party @ Gabe's by the Park, in St.Paul. Around 200 hard-core Fans were howling their displeasure. Wolf let Hentrich fly with one of his major brain farts, but he bagged a fairly competent Bidwell. The rest is part of a continuing series of bad jokes from the Third Phase of Football.

Coldworld's picture

April 16, 2022 at 06:57 pm

And apparently RB pointedly wanted him signed for his cold weather consistency and holding. If he stays healthy I doubt he goes anywhere.

stevensanders's picture