Cory's Corner: Remain Respectful Lambeau Field

Don't stoop to boorish behavior.

After seeing and hearing empty stadiums for the past year, we know how important the fans really are.

However, there is also a line between being a fan and making awful decisions. The NBA playoffs have shown us a couple of examples of boorish fan behavior. I get the argument that says that because of the pandemic with fans being away from the games, fans are even more amped up when they finally get to see a game in person.

But that doesn’t make it OK. You cannot throw popcorn or a water bottle on an athlete. Ever. I don’t care if that athlete wears the hated purple from Minnesota or the loathed orange and blue from Chicago.

Players are used to taking taunts from fans as long as it doesn’t become personal with verbal assaults against their family. And there’s never been room for throwing things at players. First of all, they don’t know that something is coming and secondly, if they take a shot in the head or the eye, there’s a chance for serious injury.

The fans that I sit next to in Section 101 have always been very respectable. In fact, there’s an amazing cancer survivor that sits right in front of us. I have never seen her without that glowing, infectious smile. I have heard the normal jeers for Matthew Stafford, Andy Dalton and Kirk Cousins.

But I haven’t  seen any objects hurled their way.

The Lambeau Field home opener is Monday, Sept. 20 vs. the Lions. There is no reason to throw anything at guys like Jared Goff, TJ Hockenson or rookie corner Jeff Okudah. There’s no reason to throw anything at anyone.

But here’s the question, if you see someone do the unthinkable by throwing something at a player, what are you going to do about it? Are you going to sit idly by and watch it happen or are you going to say something?

The reason why you have to say something is to preserve the credibility of every other Packers fan in that building. Lambeau Field remains a bucket list destination for many sports fans across the globe and there’s nothing that could tarnish that more than watching fans turn into hooligans.

You don’t have to like the opposing team, but you do have to respect them.

-------------------

Cory Jennerjohn is a graduate from UW-Oshkosh and has been in sports media for over 15 years. He was a co-host on "Clubhouse Live" and has also done various radio and TV work as well. He has written for newspapers, magazines and websites. He currently is a columnist for CHTV and also does various podcasts. He recently earned his Masters degree from the University of Iowa. He can be found on Twitter: @Coryjennerjohn

Savage57's picture

June 01, 2021 at 06:45 am

A good reminder to fans to reject the lowering of the bar of civility and decency which has become common and all too prevalent these last few years. Remember the objective of attending any sporting event - having a good time and an enjoyable experience, not having to make a call to get bailed out on a Sunday.

Let us also remember the good counsel of the modern-day sage Wyche, updated for the Packers:

"Will the next person that sees anybody throw anything onto this field, point 'em out, and get 'em out of here! You don't live in Minnesota, you live in Green Bay!"

HawkPacker's picture

June 01, 2021 at 06:50 am

With everything that is going on in the sports world regarding the 'opening up' of stadiums for the fans, this is a pretty good article.

I would think that if someone was going to throw something at an opposing player, the person next to him would stop that person or at least try to reason with that person but I am not really sure.

I don't know what would happen at Lambeau since I have never been to a packer game at Lambeau Field. In fact, I have never even been to Green Bay even though I have been a fan since the 60's--pretty unbelievable since I am only 4 hours or so away from Green Bay. I hope this will change this summer/fall.

HarlanHuckleby's picture

June 01, 2021 at 09:56 am

HawkPacker, I agree with this and would add that the person next to an agressor should do what they feel comfortable in terms of confronting their behavior. I am not a tough guy by any stretch, but I am a large person and would be comfortable in most cases calmly calling out a drunk/belligerent person without any more harm that getting yelled/swore at by that person. If I was smaller than the agressive person, or had some other circumstance like a kid right next to me, I might think twice or slip out of the stands to find a security person. In most cases the offending party has probably been behaving badly most of the game before that so you have some sort of idea how they would respond.

Johnblood27's picture

June 01, 2021 at 07:09 am

Not even the vi-Queens?

You're taking all the fun out of things!

I refuse to respect anything purple.

You are right, throwing items is just off-limits. I love hockey and enjoy watching games in person and have seen far too much throwing of items onto the ice, quarters are a favorite of the stupid crowd, they are a real hazard to those on skates when they become part of the ice and a skate hits them. Not cool.

Never relent on the verbal jabs at opposing players and teams, that is all part of the home field advantage!

Get LOUD Lambeau!!!

PS - Is this what Aaron Rodgers does in the summer?

Murph sure has an ARod look to him, eh?

PeteK's picture

June 01, 2021 at 07:30 am

Hahaha, that's the look he will have when he's about to get sacked yet again after he gets traded to another team.

ricky's picture

June 01, 2021 at 07:29 am

Has there been a history of bad fan behavior at Lambeau? I know Randy Moss claimed that Packers fans allegedly "mooned" the Vikings team bus as it left the stadium, leading to his pantomiming pulling down his uniform pants and rubbing his buttocks on a goal post at Lambeau after scoring a TD. Of course fans should behave themselves and act in a civilized manner. But chiding Packers fans needlessly seems unnecessary.

PeteK's picture

June 01, 2021 at 07:35 am

I believe that happened on a road leading to the stadium, and a big difference from doing it on national TV. Never respected Moss after that and the Raider fiasco.

PeteK's picture

June 01, 2021 at 07:39 am

Some playful ribbing is fine , but anything more is just acting like an imbecile. Good timing for this article.

June 01, 2021 at 07:49 am

What ? - I'm all for the days of Confetti, horns, Noise makers, Ticker tape, even blown up footballs. Show that Team spirit. I paid. Forget RESPECT! If I can't swear at the bum. It must be fixed. We have rights too. After all, how can they pay a F**K up. I'm not their agent or Lawyer. I'm just a fan blowing off steam. Winning is everything to me. But the rules are the safety valve. It's time to follow them.

egbertsouse's picture

June 01, 2021 at 08:18 am

I’m just a cranky old fart but it seems to me that there are more meatballs everywhere I go. Good luck trying to keep them out of football stadiums. I rarely use my season tickets, my kids and their friends do. They don’t complain about fan behavior so it must be pretty civil in their section.

Matt Gonzales's picture

June 01, 2021 at 10:10 am

I'm guessing rowdy fan behavior will increase this year with the number of prime time games. Afternoon and evening kickoffs give a LOT more time for pregaming.

Dragon5's picture

June 01, 2021 at 10:26 am

Hospitable...lest we forget how kind fans can be, especially in Green Bay. November 13, 1988. I'm sitting in the 1st or 2nd row behind the Colts bench at Lambeau, an Ezra Johnson homecoming game. He was starving, downright emaciated from working his tail off and a fan or two was kind enough to toss him a Lambeau Field Hot Dog. Old habits die hard :)

greengold's picture

June 01, 2021 at 10:46 am

Ha! Awesome, Dragon5!

Dragon5's picture

June 01, 2021 at 01:12 pm

Do you know the backstory?

"Johnson was notoriously fined $1,000 and required by then-general manager–head coach Bart Starr to apologize for eating a hot dog on the sidelines during the fourth quarter of a 38–0 Packers' home preseason loss to the Denver Broncos on August 30, 1980.[11] Starr gave Johnson back the $1,000 at the end of the year.[1] However, defensive line coach Fred von Appen resigned five days after the incident because Starr refused to suspend Johnson.[11][12] He started in all 15 games that season, as the Packers finished with a 5–10–1 record.[4] After the season, Johnson and Butler were both criticized for not playing up to the Packers expectations when they drafted them. One journalist stated that their development was halted because of a lack of stability in the Green Bay coaching situation, who went through four defensive line coaches in three years.[12]"

PatrickGB's picture

June 01, 2021 at 10:29 am

I am a very boring person. When I get excited I let out a yessss in a loud whisper. I dislike going to actual games in person because I prefer to focus on the play rather than the emotion. I make for a lousy fan. But I also have friends and family who are the opposite and kinda scary. If at a game with them I would have no trouble telling them to refrain from such nonsense.

Ferrari-Driver's picture

June 01, 2021 at 12:12 pm

I live in California, but have been a lifelong Packers fan and I get to Lambeau Field for at least one game per year. I've been to about 10 different stadiums around the country to watch the Packers play and found the home town fans friendly and often times they offer a brat or most anything else they have at the pregame tailgate parties and they love to chat. One exception was at Oakland when the Raiders played there and my one and only visit there was my last. While it is a minority of Oakland fans for certain, there is the risk of a needless fight or the worst case that happened when a visiting fan got an ice pick in the back. Some just fail to realize it's only a game and we should be there to have fun.

TarynsEyes's picture

June 01, 2021 at 11:30 am

When the League, Team, and Players have open;y condoned the societal attacks, verbal and physical, upon those of a different mindset regardless of the issue, surely they cannot expect that same society, even if limited to the realm of their sport, to bequeath them sanctuary from that which they justified in sanctimonious fashion over the last few years from societal events that had them defending criminal behavior and condemning the law.

I think it disgusting that people do these things at sporting events or anywhere really, but it wasn't brought about by one or one side, both and all play their parts and though the ends don't justify the means, the means can not be immune for the ends.

Packers0808's picture

June 01, 2021 at 01:35 pm

Go to the game, enjoy yourself, lets those people around around enjoy themselves and be the best person you can as a fan! Not much more be needed to be done! Drunks at games are the worst offenders ever! Been to probably 30 or so games in my lifetime and drunks are the ones who ruin your and my good time and fun! I am 76 so yup lots of time for games being a fan since the late 50's!

Irish_Cheesehead's picture

June 01, 2021 at 06:15 pm

I’ve been to several games at Lambeau and the only disrespectful fans I’ve encountered were those from the opposing team. Seriously.