Confessions of a Polluted Mindset - Post 2021 NFL Draft Edition

The Weekly Packers Brain Drain from Jersey Al.

Lions and Vikings and Bears

Damn, but each one of these teams got themselves a premier left tackle that will be manning that spot for years to come. The Packers could have solidified the right tackle position with a pick of Jalen Mayfield or even Brady Christensen in round two. Personally, I had Mayfield as the #4 tackle in this draft. I was confident they wouldn't take a tackle in round one - not if the need was a right tackle, anyway. The value is not there (unless you have a left-handed quarterback - ha!).

Offensive Line

Speaking of the offensive line, it appears the Packers are collecting them like the Bears collected tight ends last year. Last year, there were three OL drafted plus two UDFAs signed, and now three OL drafted plus 3 more UDFAs signed this year. Currently there are 16 OL on the roster and only two that you could say are purely tackles. The rest are all multi-positional (C/G, G/T, or in the case of Elgton Jenkins,C/G/T/QB, whatever...) We all know having versatile pieces is a good thing, but personally, I'd prefer to have another couple of OL that excel at one position.

Draft Surprises

The only real surprises for me was the Myers pick in round two. Having nabbed Corey Linsley in the fifth round, I there is no way I expected the selection of a center this early. As stated previously, I would have jumped all over Jalen Mayfield, who went six picks later.

Royce's role?

This was an interesting pick. He's very similar to Jon Runyon in size, athletic testing and strengths/weaknesses. Is this the new "type" for the guard position with the Packers? Possibly an indication of a subtle change in the blocking schemes to fit AJ Dillon's more power running style?

A Special Draft

One thing for certain, the Packers' underwhelming special teams got some much needed help with this draft. All of the non-linemen can be contributors for certain and likely some of the linemen will see time on field goal and extra point teams.

TD Slaton

If the Packers were going to draft an offensive lineman, I was hoping not for a Dean Lowry replacement, but rather a true run-stopping nose tackle. If the Packers can get 20 or so snaps a game out of such a player, that can afford Clark a few plays off, but even more importantly, let Clark slide down the line and pickup snaps where he's not being double-teamed. The new scheme coming to Green Bay asks the DL to be backfield disrupters, a perfect opportunity for Clark to further impact the game.

"The Situation"

I'm not going to get into the Rodgers saga right now, but I am curious which way the wind is blowing among our readers. Here's a poll for you, it's one or the other - there's no other choice. Cast your vote and let's see where we end up.

Who has the more Polluted Mindset - Gutey or Rodgers?

Brian Gutekunst
23% (25 votes)
Aaron Rodgers
77% (86 votes)
Total votes: 111

__________________________

"Jersey Al" Bracco is the Editor-In-Chief, part owner and wearer of many hats for CheeseheadTV.com and PackersTalk.com. He is also a recovering Mason Crosby truther.  Follow Al on twitter at @JerseyalGBP

BJP's picture

May 05, 2021 at 06:08 am

With all these OL I can’t wait till next year’s draft. Loaded and the Packers will have some solid compensatory picks.

May 05, 2021 at 11:18 am

I was also surprised by the center draft and makes me think that they have a RT in tow, Runyon. I don't see them messing with Jenkins's success especially now that we might have a rookie center.

mnbadger's picture

May 05, 2021 at 06:25 am

thank you for not jumping into the situation. We can discuss it intelligently once both parties speak their piece. until then, just click bait. Definitely not able to declare a winner, both sides are failing in my book. GPG

Bearmeat's picture

May 05, 2021 at 04:57 pm

But that's the ARod schtick, isn't it? Master manipulator? Looking generous while hypocritically refusing to allow any real accountability of his ego-ness himself? King of the unsaid inference? Media leaks with trusted sources? Hiding anonymously behind the skirts of his friends who are acting at his suggestion so he can dip his toes into the water to check the wind direction before publicly committing?

It would be one thing if this was the very first blow-up between ARod and management, or former colleagues, or frankly, his relationships outside of football. But there's been enough smoke for years to suggest that there is fire when it comes to Rodgers being a PITA to deal with on a personality level. And that's part of what makes him great. Unfortunately, it also makes him an AHole.

Tired of it. Tired of him. Great QB. Tired of the human being. I hope he plays for us in 2021 because we have a shot to win it all with an MVP QB. We don't without him. But I'm not going to lie and say that I'm not very much looking forward to 3 1st round picks and a useful vet or two to send him to Siberia, er, the AFCW, so he can feel important as his career dips below the horizon.

May 05, 2021 at 07:48 am

YEP!

Bearmeat's picture

May 05, 2021 at 09:19 am

The only way out of this is to call ARod's bluff. You can't let a player, any player, dictate personnel policy. Yes, ARod is a special case. But if you cave here, what about to Bakh, or Adams, or Z, or Jaire? They're next in importance and all of them have recently signed deals or will do so soon.

If Aaron is determined to push the envelope here, let him retire. That would suck, but Aaron would lose more than the Packers, and he knows it.

You're up, Jordan.

Johnblood27's picture

May 05, 2021 at 09:34 am

Retire? Didn't you see enough of that smokescreen with Favre?

Just place his diva ass on the bench and eat his salary.

We would eat it if he played, lets just eat it until we know what we have in Love for a year or two.

I would not put up with Rodgers crap for 1 second.

I don't want to see him ever take another snap for the GBP, however I would insist that he honor his entire contract and depending on how Love pans out I might just franchise his whiney ass another year after his contract runs out right up until we have to pay Love or move in another QB direction.

I have had ENOUGH of people - not just overpaid athletes - thinking that because they have twitter accounts that their thoughts and words carry any weight.

Get WOKE people - YOU do not matter in the big scheme of things. Nobody Cares!

Bearmeat's picture

May 05, 2021 at 09:41 am

I hate to tell you, but superstars drive the NFL. ARod is perhaps THE biggest superstar in the league right now. If GB can at all placate him enough to play nice for 8 more months, they need to do so. Then pass the reins over.

Oh, and very nice "Get off my lawn" screed. I legit LOL'd. :)

Johnblood27's picture

May 05, 2021 at 09:58 am

Thanks, I spend a lot of time and money on weed and feed...

LambeauPlain's picture

May 05, 2021 at 12:10 pm

Weed and feed....I am thinking....oh, the Scott's stuff!

May 05, 2021 at 11:12 am

Mahomes is probably the face of the league. Supposedly ,Rod is jokingly texting a nickname for Gute calling him Krause( Bulls former GM). That's a compliment in my book.

Bearmeat's picture

May 05, 2021 at 11:14 am

Yeah. And the analogy is he is Michael Jordan. I'm sorry, ARod, but how did Michael Jordan do in playoff games?

May 05, 2021 at 11:21 am

OOh ,ouch. As great as Jordan was his personality has taken some hits. Still very difficult to compare a team of 5 with 11

Bearmeat's picture

May 05, 2021 at 02:20 pm

More accurately, a team of 8-10 contributors in a playoff run, plus the coach, vs a team of 45 contributors, plus multiple coaches. Football is much more of a team game than any other sport. But still. ARod is the face of the franchise and has been. The buck stops with him. Period.

Facts: IN EVERY SINGLE PLAYOFF CHOKE FOR THE PAST 12 YEARS HE'S BEEN BAD OR HAD A KILLER MOMENT LATE IN THE SECOND HALF. Go back and count: 09 (yep) 10 is the exception obviously. 11 (yep) 12 (nonexistent 2nd half) 13 (yep) 14 (double yep) 15 - no playoffs 16 (bad in the CG), 17 - no playoffs. 18 - no playoffs. 19 (yep) 20 (double yep). That is three BIG chokes, a game-ending fumble, and 4 bad performances in the 2nd half. 8 times in the past 11 years.

Aaron Charles Rodgers is paid to be the man in January especially. For the most part, he has not been. He's no Michael Jordan.

fin.

May 05, 2021 at 11:40 am

Batman slapping Robin. WHAP!!!!

We're all on the same side, just like the Caped Crusaders. Too funny...

GO PACKERS GO!

packerbackerjim's picture

May 05, 2021 at 11:04 am

Yeah, you’re up Jordan. And that’s what’s scaring the shit out of Gute, MM, and MLF, not to mention most fans.

May 05, 2021 at 11:47 am

Really? I don't think it scares the crap out of any of those three, and quite possibly, the opposite. There is one hell of a lot to like about Jordan Love.

Go ahead and compare both players' college stats, and take their best year, as it is just not fair comparing Love's 2019 with his losing 4 starting OL and his top 3 WRs in a totally new system. Choose their best years, and what really is there to be frightened of?

packerbackerjim's picture

May 05, 2021 at 12:09 pm

You think they were racking up all those sky miles because they were good with Love as the starting QB this year?

Oppy's picture

May 06, 2021 at 08:20 am

THere's no question there will be a drop off moving to Love from Rodgers, and there's no guarantees Love is even going to be an NFL caliber starting QB much less a true "Franchise" QB.

That said, I think regardless of the questions surrounding Love's level of preparedness or talent, what sent BG and MM catching red eye flights isn't the fear of transition, it's the PR nightmare and the timing.

There's a reason the Packers haven't restructured the money in Aaron's contract. Aaron is going to want to make it financially impossible to transition to Love during his contract; the Packers were counting on transitioning to Love either upon Rodgers' contract expiration, or perhaps after the 2021 season when the dead money / cap hit for moving Rodgers is far more favorable (as I understand it.).

That's why they're scrambling IMO. Not because they don't have a contingency plan for a team without Rodgers, but because being forced to choose in 2021 creates money problems and overall it's a PR nightmare.

murf7777's picture

May 05, 2021 at 02:54 pm

Bearmeat, you have some very good points, but no other player but a prospective HOF QB will have the leverage in the NFL. All other positions are more readily replaceable and carry less importance.

Guam's picture

May 05, 2021 at 08:11 am

I would love to know what contract offers were made to Rodgers during the several trips to California made by the Packer brass. If those offers were legitimate appeasements to Rodgers (2-3 years of guaranteed contract) then he should have no beef with the Packers.

The salary cap eliminated the era when teams could carry a player for a year or two out of loyalty. Those days are gone and the NFLPA agreed to it. Rodgers does not get to control the terms of his entire career - the team also has a voice. The Packer organization has an obligation to plan for the post Rodgers era whether he likes it or not.

Bearmeat's picture

May 05, 2021 at 09:21 am

If we ever know, it won't be for a decade at least. We probably won't ever know. And that's ok. We don't have to directly deal with the situation. And I think ARod will find another beef if this one is solved. It's just who he is.

I will always root for the Green Bay Packers. Even if at some point, that means root for people to be fired for the good of the organization long term. In this case, that means rooting for one last dance with King Ego in 21.

After that? Bye, Felicia.

packerbackerjim's picture

May 05, 2021 at 12:37 pm

Johns-Manville years ago was widely known to can employees just as they were approaching retirement age so as to avoid having to pay a pension. Terminated without recourse. For AR knows “2021 and beyond” means he will be canned after this season, SB or not. AR isn’t on board with their vision. And he in control of his future. He can choose to play for any one or no one.

LambeauPlain's picture

May 05, 2021 at 12:24 pm

Rodgers said last year he had reconciled the Love pick.

What changed his inner peace? Jake from Whitewater? That is just fodder for the foolish.

I think it was winning the MVP....leverage to get traded to a bigger stage with his hefty contract and current fiancé in tow and failing that, extract revenge with a huge, costly extension that would hamstring the Packers financial future and hammer Gutey at the same time.

Rodgers is a vindictive person. And owns a very fragile ego...it bruises easily.

Oppy's picture

May 06, 2021 at 10:03 am

I simply don't believe he was being honest when he said he had reconciled with the Love pick.

I think what he really meant was something along the lines of I'm no longer freaking out about the Love pick, because I've had time to think about it and I've got a decent plan worked out that will allow me to punish the Packers and GM Brian Gutekunst specifically.

Tundraboy's picture

May 05, 2021 at 08:45 am

My thoughts exactly. Having some high picks and not have to bargain shop would be exciting. Perhaps with a new GM and no MM!

Bearmeat's picture

May 05, 2021 at 09:26 am

I know we disagree here, but I'm overall fine with Gute and MLF. Murphy's end is coming at age 70 anyways. Has he been as good as Harlan? No. But at least he's not self-destructive like Jerry Jones or Mike Brown or Son of Al.

Coldworld's picture

May 05, 2021 at 11:26 am

I’m no Murphy fan as many know, but I’d be less so of him if he allows a player to dictate his staff choices or impose the players interests over those of the team.

LambeauPlain's picture

May 05, 2021 at 12:38 pm

When I first heard he flew down to Kiln MS to offer Favre a $20,000,000 check to help the Packers "market" the team to buy his silence and stay retired, I thought wow, that's transparently weak.

And then two years ago as ML was about to hire one of the best ST coaches in NFL, MM nixed it, saying his asking salary was too high. After lobbying by ML and Gutey, MM relented a few days later and said ok...offer him the deal, Rizzi said "No thanks, I have moved on."

May 05, 2021 at 03:49 pm

I'm telling you, LambeauPlain, THAT ST coach debacle was insanely stupid. When McCarthy hired Ron Zook instead of Rizzi, I wanted to drive up to Green Bay and punch him in the face.

Tundraboy's picture

May 06, 2021 at 08:24 am

True I just figured if this continues to turn ugly , a clean slate wouldn't be such a bad idea now would it?

The_Justicar's picture

May 05, 2021 at 09:01 pm

That first paragraph is gold, Jerry, gold!

CoachDino's picture

May 05, 2021 at 07:08 am

PFF Grades had Run Blocking and Coverage graded the 2 lowest postseason grades. IMO Most often those are the games that tell you the most about your squad, playing the best teams needing the best performance.
Just seemed the OL drafted this year have a better overall run block evaluation than in the past.

Looking forward to seeing how it all plays out.

Coldworld's picture

May 05, 2021 at 10:45 am

I think you are right. Bigger and better run blocking do seem to be themes.

May 05, 2021 at 07:10 am

If Gute didn't want a fight he would have never taken Love. So if we can get Amos,Turner, and the Smiths. Why couldn't he get a QB. If he wanted to go to a super-bowl, he would have taken Barmore. Good point on Mayfield. Just another head scratcher. Royce is another guy who keeps the door revolving. I just don't get peoples thinking on the draft anymore. The BPA is out. And how does a later pick have more upside? I really think Gute's last two drafts have to many question marks to put him on a pedestal. Especially since his trades have other GMs laughing. Nobody gives a sucker an even break. And Gute is passing the buck every time his fixes don't work. I'm having a tough time believing we will stay on top of this division.

Dragon5's picture

May 05, 2021 at 09:52 am

From the draft recap gamut it appears mismanagement of draft capital yet again...a broken record. Gute may be more resolute with wasting draft capital than Rodgers holds a grudge.

MITM's picture

May 05, 2021 at 10:34 am

accurate

May 05, 2021 at 11:31 am

We just went to two championships games. Also, Jets signed LFs brother GMs are laughing? Come on Stock, give the man SOME credit. You're starting to resemble road kill.

May 05, 2021 at 12:07 pm

"GMs are laughing"

He just makes stuff up.

May 05, 2021 at 03:04 pm

Go to Fansided. You'll see a new article about 3 mistakes the packers made this draft. Something I said but didn't make up.

May 05, 2021 at 03:47 pm

"Go to Fansided. "

This explains a lot.

May 05, 2021 at 03:51 pm

Go to PFT... ROFLMAO.

croatpackfan's picture

May 05, 2021 at 07:20 am

Nice AL.

I agree that we should hear both sides first to be able to have good and argument discussion. Nevertheless I agree with Bearmeat that road Aaron choose to go in making fan opinion polls is ridiculously low and the moment to do that was pretty selfish. So, if I understood correctly your poll, I clicked on AR with idea that for this drama blame is more on him than on FO. Saying that I have to point out that in every quarrel both sides adds the fuel, intentionally or unintentionally. That is also the truth.

Regarding your observation on Packers draft, after I red quite a lot of articles with different opinions, I'm quite satisfied how this year draft class looks like at first sight.

May 05, 2021 at 07:54 am

Same. Agree 100%

Fabio's picture

May 05, 2021 at 08:20 am

I still don't understand why if Gute is good in his management interests and if Ar is in his playing interests is he bad? You are all saying that this sport is business. Well! business leads you to think about your own interests. I personally don't like it !! But the mistake here was created by Gute with his (legitimate) draft pick thinking he can do whatever he wants. Well! There is only one problem: AR is paid to play Gute to manage. And Gute had to have a solution to the problem that the whole world knew was coming. Too bad that Gute has no solution but to wait after June 1st to exchange it !!!
In a normal world, in a normal company this would be seen as incompetence and anyone would be fired if they didn't quit earlier. But Gute can never be questioned .......

Coldworld's picture

May 05, 2021 at 11:02 am

If we fire Gute and appoint another GM, if that person is competent then we will end up in the same position because it’s really about what’s good for the franchise versus Rodgers’ personal objectives. Rodgers handling of this over the draft is the factor that weighs very heavily against him and will have echoes whatever happens.

Fabio's picture

May 05, 2021 at 11:59 am

The point always remains the same. Gute must have already programmed the scenario we are experiencing now with the solution already in his pocket. Is the solution to trade AR? I don't like it, but that doesn't matter. A choice would have been made on an idea that Gute intends to pursue (only time will give judgment). If he had resolved the issue at the beginning of the year I would have respected him anyway because (right or wrong) I would have understood that he had a plan. The reality is that he (and consequently all of us Packers) are now stalled by a player and this must never happen if you have a good GM who plans things in advance.
I keep reiterating the concept ... Gute is now in trouble and will make a decision based on something that he did not wrongly plan and a good GM must never make this happen. I criticize the organization's mismanagement. Is Rodgers wrong? Is it bad? It's ugly? all this does not matter. the organization had to have a plan. I remember that we got to know Rodgers since 2004. And if we continue to want to throw the ball on Rodgers then we don't want to understand the seriousness of the managerial situation we are experiencing.

May 05, 2021 at 11:43 am

The solution was taken in 2018 with a lucrative contract which Rod happily signed. His contract is fully guaranteed for almost the next 2 seasons. I don't want to be in a possible situation where we are hoping a player retires because his contract prevents us from building a winning team. The last contract was fair for both sides because it gave AR the money he deserves and gave the team a possible out in the future just in case a 39 year old QB's skills diminish.

Fabio's picture

May 05, 2021 at 12:00 pm

If you wanted that, you just had to write a Q this season (not necessarily in the 1st round) or next year by including it in a trade. The earthquake was created by the organization by not planning well

May 06, 2021 at 06:32 am

Just a note: AR has no guaranteed money left. He does not have two guaranteed years left. If he were hit by a bus today GB would not owe him one cent.

May 05, 2021 at 12:13 pm

This seems to miss the mark, Fabio, and I mean that respectfully.

In a normal NFL world, a team owner, or in this case, Mark Murphy as CEO, looks for competence and stability, along with a successful track record.

Brian Gutekunst is just now on the verge of having enough tenure to adequately judge his worth objectively. Murphy made his best choice possible, in his eyes, when he selected Gutekunst. His drafts look to have improved. His ability to procure personnel in the FA market looks good when given the resources.

A GM has WAY more to deal with than just personnel. When somebody as tempestuous as AR has proven to be, is handed to you as part of your team, you do your best, knowing there could be limitations along the way with somebody of that much importance at the #1 position on your football team. BG has provided for AR, while attempting to dig us out of the cap hell and personnel void inherited by the sadly failing giant in Ted Thompson.

Well, those limitations have made themselves first and foremost in the press over the past 3 years with Mike McCarthy, and now the Matt LaFleur/Brian Gutekunst BOMBSHELL backlash, from that very starting QB.

The tail doesn't wag the dog, man.

We will be learning how good Brian Gutekunst is as a GM after this year. No question. Could he possibly have more adversity to face? Actually, yes, but he was diligent and steadfast in bringing in not only quality players, but quality people. His drafts will be in that true judgement timeline, as will his development and Pro personnel procurement.

We were in the NFCC game the last two years, and it was not just one person who got us there.

There aren't a lot of head cases on this team, as Gutekunst has made high character a key qualifier in his talent procurement. You can probably count them with one hand...

Gutekunst knows the timelines he is now forced to deal with, as does the rest of the FO. There is no changing them, yet, they are prepared for the good of the team's interests.

Fabio's picture

May 05, 2021 at 12:37 pm

Hi Greengold !!
I understand that it can be difficult to deal with a player like Rodgers. I may have personal opinions on the choices made by Gute in the past that I do not agree with, but the real problem is that this season Gute's incompetence came out !!!
Do you want to tell me that you did not expect AR reaction now ??? The whole NFL knew it (even in Italy it was known LOL). I can criticize as a fan if Gute decides to leave AR, but I cannot discuss an operation that may have its own logic and which is up to Gute alone. The problem is that Gute also had to plan what is happening for which it is clear to everyone that Gute has no answer other than to wait until June 1st hoping to trade Rodgers !!! Gute was expected to start stepping down from Rodgers when he had more strength on his side. Specifically, I think if Gute had wanted to draft a Q, he would have had to do it in this season's draft and get rid of Rodgers next year with obvious advantages over the CAP. The other solution would have been to trade Rodgers next season by including a Q in the trade and picking one in the draft.
Now everyone knows that the AR problem has been present since January so Gute, to anticipate the reconstruction, should not have re-signed those players who have cost us an arm and a leg (and unfortunately they won't be of much use to us) and above all he should have exchanged it. before the draft (possibly with a low-scoring team) so that you have a lot of choices this season.
Instead it made us lose an extra season !!!!
I don't care whose fault it is !!!! These are things that only serve to divert attention from the real problem
"There was no proper management and planning of the exit from Rodgers"

May 05, 2021 at 10:20 pm

I guess the difference is that I could give a fuck about Aaron Rodgers’ reactions now. He signed a contract extension, and was trusted to be an integral part of the Packers future success in signing that contract.

Aaron Rodgers is the one who is now wanting to change the terms of their signed agreement by forcing a trade, by saying he won’t return to the Packers, refusing to honor the contract entirely...

Now, it’s Brian Gutekunst’s fault? Because he didn’t hold his hand? While HE was loyally and responsibly doing HIS JOB? FFS.

There’s no incompetence. Brian Gutekunst has been prudent in looking out for the interests of his team, our team, at every turn. Always trying to find the best value, always leaving no stone unturned. No GM is perfect. He’s human, and makes mistakes like anyone in the business of running an NFL team. I consider him in the upper echelon to this point in his young tenure, and wish him the best in guiding us through this successfully.

Fabio's picture

May 06, 2021 at 02:51 am

Excuse me but if next year Gute frees Rodgers, what is a lack of respect for the terms of the agreement that foresee Rodgers still in the saddle or not? As many say it is a business !! But for both of them not for one part only. Gute is free to switch to Rodgers in 2022 when it suits him best (and that was clear as day) and Rodgers is free to put Gute on the ropes with his attitude. Once again I repeat that if a player is able to corner a GM it means that the GM has not done his job well.
PS I also want the best for the Packers
I salute you again

PewAuKeeFan's picture

May 05, 2021 at 07:19 am

Jersey Al: I love your classification of Elgton Jenkins - C/G/T/QB, whatever...

Yep, we are very very fortunate to have him.

Coldworld's picture

May 05, 2021 at 10:47 am

I heard he’s been taking snaps at QB. We’ve all missed the point. It’s not Love, or Rodgers but SuperJenkins.

May 05, 2021 at 09:21 am

Maybe this will end the Jenkins as slot WR experiment...

Guam's picture

May 05, 2021 at 08:01 am

Like Jersey Al, I was expecting the Packers to select a RT in the second round and Mayfield would have been an excellent choice. The fact that they chose IOL throughout this draft indicates they are happy with Turner/Jenkins/Runyon/Nijman at tackle. Losing Linsley, Taylor and Jenkins (moving to tackle) from the IOL meant re-enforcements were needed there since only Patrick, Stepaniak and Hanson remain. Different path than expected, but I am happy to see Gute investing in the OL.

May 05, 2021 at 08:48 am

I think you’re right, Guam.

Nijman was a beast of a LT/RT at Virginia Tech throughout his career there, with good results. There has not been much said publicly regarding OT, in spite of it being considered by fans as a high need area, much like last year’s situation at WR. Maybe we are better there than we might think.

Yosh Nijman has been in their development program for two solid years. He held Ferrell, Allen, Burns, Wilkins & Lawrence to ZERO sacks in his 3 year VT career as a starter.

Gutekunst added what is considered an instant starter at C and quality depth at OT. This OL could be very good again, especially if Yosh is on schedule along with Bak’s rehab, and now, deep in talent, everywhere.

HawkPacker's picture

May 05, 2021 at 09:07 am

Well if Yosh Nijman has been with the Packers for 2 years and is as good as everyone says he is, I would certainly hope/expect that he will be starting at right tackle for us sometime this year.

Two plus years should be plenty of time to be ready if he has been that good in college!

Johnblood27's picture

May 05, 2021 at 09:40 am

IT IS TIME!!!

Unleash the Yosh!

Coldworld's picture

May 05, 2021 at 10:57 am

College just let him play on natural athleticism, no technique. That’s why he wasn’t drafted. Huge learning curve. Rare upside, outcome unknown.

HawkPacker's picture

May 05, 2021 at 11:52 am

CW, good response. Thanks.

May 05, 2021 at 11:49 am

I'm just worried that in a year where we had T issues , he never saw the field there. I hope you guys are correct and he needed more development.

Guam's picture

May 05, 2021 at 09:35 am

I don't care whether it is Nijman or Runyon (pretty good college LT from Michigan) or both as long as there is some depth at OT. I also suspect the last two drafts will mean Billy Turner does not get resigned after 2021. He will be over 30 and the Packers will have a serious cap crunch (assuming Rodgers returns) in 2022.

Johnblood27's picture

May 05, 2021 at 09:40 am

very bad assumption...

You might wanna rethink that one!

Guam's picture

May 05, 2021 at 09:59 am

LOL. I agree that assumption looks shaky right now, but you never know in this business. If Rodgers doesn't come back, then the cap issue is moot. Turner will still be over 30 and the Packers seldom resigned older OL's.

Guam's picture

May 05, 2021 at 10:00 am

Sorry, double post.

jannes bjornson's picture

May 05, 2021 at 09:38 am

The Replacement theory tilted to needs and speed. They needed a CB to replace King; Center was wide open and Myers was ranked in a two spot. Finally, a true slot guy, motion/Jet and a Returner in Amari Rodgers.
I like the Marshall pick as he and Runyan can fight it out for the RT job Maybe Van Lanen gets in the competition ,but he needs a stronger upper body. The O line selections tell you the jars on the shelf are being tossed, they had three years to show something. The DT looks to be an upgrade over Montravious as long as he holds his weight at 320#. Hill is just a draft steal.

May 05, 2021 at 11:55 am

I agree, we don't have a big bodied run stuffer/clogger on the roster. I also like McDuffie as they probably knew about him when they scouted Dillon.

May 05, 2021 at 08:06 am

The question on the C pick in round 2 will continue to be "did they pick the right one?" Creed Humphrey was there, too, and profiled in a way that has caught BG's eye in the past (RAS monster). Still, the C (or maybe G) position is the one spot on the OL where a high draft pick was likely to entrench themselves from day 1 and be a two contract starter. I would argue it's more likely that if the Packers picked a RT candidate at that point that he would be outplayed by Turner and Jenkins and on the bench than a C...in which case you're still down an IOL as Jenkins moves outside. Assuming the braintrust picked the right C, this is a pretty good investment.

Guam's picture

May 05, 2021 at 09:42 am

I suspect Myers was chosen for fit over Humphrey. Humphrey came out of Oklahoma's pass happy offense and didn't do as much run blocking as Myers. Ohio State runs the ball more than Oklahoma and Myers is probably the better run blocker of the two.

The Myers selection plus fact the both Newsome and Van Lanen are better run blockers than pass blockers is a pretty good indication of where MLF wants this offense headed. Given the potential change at QB1, a run dominated offense a la the Tennessee Titans with Aaron Jones and AJ Dillon is not a bad idea.

May 05, 2021 at 11:33 am

Man, with Aaron Jones, AJ Dillon and Kylin Hill at RB, along with what in all probability will be a rookie QB, this is not a bad plan of attack. It will open up play action passing, which LaFleur loves, and all the other tricks MLF has in his bag.

I know it is raw, and we are only left to speculate just 6 days after the bomb went off, but I'm kind of excited to see what Matt LaFleur does with this Packers Offense. It could be really cool, and I've been dying to see a legit, high quality, purposeful use of the RB since Holmgren with Dorsey Levens and Edgar Bennett. I think having Deguara involved if he is full-go could be huge. Add in Amari Rodgers at the slot/jet? wow.

A healthy, versatile stable of OL talent adept at zone run blocking will serve the Packers well here.

May 05, 2021 at 12:13 pm

Yes, for me Amari could possibly give this offense the reality of complexity. Especially since many scouts describe him as having a RB's built.

packmann's picture

May 05, 2021 at 02:01 pm

Well said greengold!

RCPackerFan's picture

May 05, 2021 at 11:01 am

Like Guam said, I think picking Myers had a lot to do with the fit in the offense they want to run. And they rated him better.

My guess is that OC was higher rated then any OT's at that point on their boards. Gutey later came out and said it was down to Myers or Rodgers with that pick. Which since they got Rodgers too, it seems they made the right choice.

May 05, 2021 at 12:14 pm

Ah good, I thought you were going to pick on Patrick again, Dob. LOL

May 05, 2021 at 12:10 pm

Savin' that for later... ;)

Handsback's picture

May 05, 2021 at 08:20 am

The last 2 drafts were a push to improve the Oline. Instead of backups being UDFAs the depth should be solid with minimal performance issues with replacements. Outside of improved depth, does anyone else think that Green Bay’s emphasis on offensive linemen means a change in their offense? Maybe not always dependent on a great QB to win the game. Maybe a new smash mouth running game countered by passes to TE/FB that the defense never knows if it’s a run or pass.
I think we are seeing a move away from their current style to one of ground and pound setting up the pass. In this setting you don’t need an all pro QB to win every game.
Those are my guesses on why Love and all the new oline guys. Now Rodgers says no more and wants out. The way he has allowed the feedback to reach the folks without having said anything himself is very unprofessional. My advice to Packer management is trade him or make him retire. It moves their schedule up, but if he gets his way it will set a bad example. Yes he is one of the best ever but he’s not going to bring another SB to Green Bay. He’s a great season QB, not a great playoff QB.

MITM's picture

May 05, 2021 at 10:37 am

the Packers are a great season team(because of Rodgers), not a great playoff team( because the holes get exposed in the playoffs and the hole was never at QB)

Since'61's picture

May 05, 2021 at 11:40 am

Absolutely accurate and succinct! Good job MITM.
Thanks, Since ‘61

May 05, 2021 at 12:01 pm

Maybe, but we did win two playoff games against some very solid competition.

blacke00's picture

May 05, 2021 at 08:23 am

I'm not sure I like the drafting of multiple O lineman this year. That was done last year, in a year that was ripe for incomplete evaluation. How do you expect to complete the evaluation of both years OL? 16 OL in camp? You can't be fair and do justice to all of them.

What about the DL? Doesn't that position group deserve added competition ( I would argue even more so than the OL). Not to mention the ILB group.

Razer's picture

May 05, 2021 at 08:41 am

...I like the added attention the OL is getting but not at the expense of other big areas of need...

Well said. We walked past numerous D-linemen to pick developmental O-lineman and have a room full of projects while Kenny Clark sitting alone across the hall.

May 05, 2021 at 09:16 am

"You can't be fair and do justice to all of them."

Is there a difference between being fair and doing justice, and finding the best and most effective players? Teams draft new talent over holdovers and developing players all the time. Sometimes it's because an opportunity presents itself. Sometimes it's about defections and injuries...sometimes it's because they misjudged what they had. It's rarely about fairness and doing justice to players.

jannes bjornson's picture

May 05, 2021 at 09:45 am

If you're not getting better...

May 05, 2021 at 09:51 am

GREAT POINT, dobber!

Since'61's picture

May 05, 2021 at 11:36 am

And the cookies keep rolling in! Thanks, Since, ‘61

Guam's picture

May 05, 2021 at 09:54 am

I agree the D-line could use more competition, but the Packers lost three offensive starters/part time starters from last year's opening day lineup - Linsley, Taylor and Wagner - and are dealing with the loss of Bahk for at least part of the season. The D-line lost M. Adams. The drafting proportions seem about right to me.

splitpea1's picture

May 05, 2021 at 03:11 pm

Spot on. I think we're soulmates. Football soulmates, that is.

Razer's picture

May 05, 2021 at 08:37 am

I don't know that drafting a bunch of O-lineman makes us any better in that area. Given that we have a bunch of developmental guys in that room, adding more is kind of like buying more lottery tickets. Unless the Packers have real tackles to put on the field come September, we will not have used the draft to address the need. This draft was very much a TT philosophy draft. It is where Gutekunst comes from.

The Favre...er Rodgers thing seems like a natural outcome for both parties. The FO trying to hedge its bets and Rodgers trying to control the timeline. As much as I think the front office set itself up for this shit-storm, the end was never going to be easy. Moving on from Rodgers needs to happen - it is a question about who is going to make that decision. This will probably be a season too soon but, given the powerplay, I think this needs to happen now. It will cost - but the team will not be better with a QB who's arrogance and manipulation controls the organization. I say this primarily based on how Rodgers chose to escalate this situation on draft day one and hid behind the wreckage.

HawkPacker's picture

May 05, 2021 at 09:13 am

Makes you wonder if two or three of last year's late round offensive linemen were a bust since we drafted all of these new OL players this year.

May 05, 2021 at 09:31 am

There might be 16 (out of 88 current rostered players) OL, but more than a third are PS holdovers and recently-signed UDFAs. I certainly agree that the drafting of Myers indicates they don't plan on Hanson playing C this season. But those draftees have a more direct path the roster than those 5-6 PS holdovers/UDFAs, which means you're already down to 9-ish OL (after one or two of the candidates succumbs to preseason and camp injuries)...which is pretty typical for the 53.

2.5
0.5
Guam's picture

May 05, 2021 at 09:49 am

The Packers also lost three offensive linemen from last year's team - Linsley, Taylor and Wagner -plus have to deal with Bahk's injury for at least part of the season. Drafting Myers may indicate Hanson is a bust, but I wouldn't go beyond that yet. The Packers had large holes to fill.

May 05, 2021 at 09:48 am

Rather than say the FO “set itself up for this shit-storm,” didn’t they, in fact, set us up to successfully ride out this shit-storm? As best they could?

AR was coming off a season where he played with a leg fracture, at 37 years of age. I don’t believe the FO did anything more than nab a hot talent and likely franchise QB who was in a free fall from the #6 spot in the draft to the #26 spot. 20 draft slots in R1 is worth 2 first round picks and 1 second round, had GB traded up to the #7 last year to take Love.

THAT was value, and prudent, exchanging only an R4 to steal him away at that point. I thought it was nice work by Gutekunst last year, after getting over the initial shock. I still feel it was a smart move. We’ll see.

White92's picture

May 05, 2021 at 09:38 am

I'm a little surprised at the all the love for Gutekunst. I thought the poll would be closer to 50/50. Maybe I'm wrong, but nearly every pick has been characterized as some degree of a "reach" by the "experts". Either the GM is smarter than everyone else, or the Packers are entering into a wilderness not seen since the '80's. My fear is it's the latter.

Johnblood27's picture

May 05, 2021 at 09:48 am

Just because the talking heads say "reach" that doesnt mean a pick was a reach.

Look back at the track records of the talking heads.

They are wrong even more so than the GM's whose job it is to stock their rosters with legitimate NFL caliber players.

The draft is a crap-shoot with more misses than hits and the GBP have been picking in no mans land for a looooong time. Having your draft choices defined by the "round" and creating expectations based on a round value is a killer way to grade when the team is always picking at 25+ on draft day in each round.

May 05, 2021 at 12:25 pm

In a year of drafting for the future, at the bottom, and an unfortunate injury to Dequara, we still had some solid input from last year's draft. I was Leary of Gute at first , but the drafts and UDFAs have changed my opinion .

Minniman's picture

May 05, 2021 at 04:47 pm

Funny that you quote ‘reach’ and ‘experts’. I’m running out of salt to take proverbial ‘grains of’.

I saw a video link in the wake of the first round that had a ‘draft expert’ and Aqib Talib discussing the Eric Stokes pick.

Draft expert (degree in sports journalism) - I hate it! It’s a reach. No value at pick 29

Aqib Talib (1x all pro and 5 x pro-bowl CB) - this guy has a nose for the ball. I love it. Completes that secondary

Granted that great players don’t necessarily make great coaches, but in this case I trust his ‘eye’ for a CB.

Obviously we won’t know for up to 3 years but I’m quietly confident that this draft will be reflected on more favourably in 3 years time than it is now.

White92's picture

May 05, 2021 at 05:15 pm

I'm the furthest thing from a draft geek and I get that these "experts" are the furthest thing from being real experts. That's why the quotes.

What does make me wonder though is when a view is so widely held.

Time is the great revealer of truth. We will see.

Minniman's picture

May 05, 2021 at 05:31 pm

FYI I wasn't mocking you White92 (that's not my style anyway), I was actually wholeheartedly agreeing with you about the actual credibility of the phenomena that is a 'draft expert'.

GregC's picture

May 05, 2021 at 04:50 pm

The "experts" don't put anywhere near as much time and effort into evaluation as the people in NFL front offices, nor do they have as much knowledge of football. I enjoy reading the mock drafts and the draft grades, but I don't put too much stock in them.

May 06, 2021 at 06:38 am

I voted in favor of Gute and against AR. But it was the phrasing of the question. I think Gute is tone deaf but not polluted. AR is a diva and carries grudges. Hands down AR is the polluted one.

That doesn't mean I think Gute is right and AR is wrong here. Quite the opposite.

Packers0808's picture

May 05, 2021 at 09:45 am

If reports are true Packers offered Rodgers a new contract to make him highest paid QB and he flatly turned it down! Also he called Gute the Jerry Krause of the Packers! Krause was the center of BB troubles with Michael Jordan. If reports are true there seems to be no doubt where and with whom the troubles lie! Seems only way to keep Rodgers is boot the Gute! Good luck with the future, should be an interesting ride!

Packers0808's picture

May 05, 2021 at 11:26 am

Thumbs down for reporting what has transpired, what is wrong with some of you people?

flackcatcher's picture

May 05, 2021 at 02:39 pm

A lot of DIC/sports media rumors being reported as 'fact'. Now we are seeing the Packer's response to Rodgers media campaign. Truth is always the first casualty in this sort of media war. We do know the basic outline of what's going on between Rodgers and the Packers. Beyond that is plenty of smoke and...who knows? There is some score settling going on, but that adds nothing to the facts or the reasons behind the actions of the two parties. So all in all, it may be smart to be a tad suspicious and cynical of what is going on between Rodgers and the Packers.

Rebecca's picture

May 05, 2021 at 06:15 pm

What’s wrong with us? We want information based in generally accepted facts. You have mistaken hearsay for fact. We can assume all we want and read between the lines, but it’s all fiction until both Rodgers and the Packers organization speak about it. I assume you were not in on the ongoing discussions or have any other inside knowledge. So that’s why you got at least one downvote.

Packers0808's picture

May 05, 2021 at 06:56 pm

And how do you know my role in all this, assumptions are your part are totally wrong, so good luck with that!

Leatherhead's picture

May 05, 2021 at 09:58 am

I did a little reading yesterday about the QBs taken in the draft last year. Three were taken the first five picks, then Love towards the end of the first round, then Jalen Hurts in the middle of the second. Love didn’t play, but the other four did, and they played pretty well. Considering that Love has had a year to develop, and that he has a stronger team around him, I think there’s good reason to be optimistic about Love.

Johnblood27's picture

May 05, 2021 at 10:09 am

All you need is Love

Love conquers all

I think the perfection of love is that it's not perfect. - Taylor Swift

Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all. - Alfred Lord Tennyson

Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope. - Maya Angelou

OR....

Love never fails, people fail on love

Sometimes love is not enough

I never thought I would know the painful sting of love failure

So it’s true when all is said and done, grief is the price we pay for love

...and I thought it cost a 1 and a 4.....

Packers0808's picture

May 05, 2021 at 11:28 am

When did this become an Ann Landers column?

May 05, 2021 at 12:31 pm

Hahahahaha, why end it in the negative. Sobbing

MITM's picture

May 05, 2021 at 10:44 am

Really? That kid didnt even take a kneeldown in an NFL game last year. He is nowhere NEAR ready. Plus the guy who drafted him also traded for Deshone Kizer so his QB evaluation skills are not to be trusted.

RCPackerFan's picture

May 05, 2021 at 10:04 am

Lions and Vikings and Bears

I think the Lions had one of the best drafts this year.
Bears will be really good if Fields turns out to be good.
Vikings got some good players as well.

Offensive Line
I really like the Packers approach with the OL. Last year they drafted Runyan who looks like he could be a starter, or the top backup. I still could see him being an option at RT. Stepaniak essentially took a redshirt year, and could be a guy to really watch this year. Hansen could also develop. I would have liked a top tier OT, but I really like that they went for Myers. I think its a plug and play move. They lost Linsley who was one of if not the best OC last year. Those are big shoes to fill. By drafting Myers they don't have to move Patrick or Jenkins to OC now if they don't want to. This also allows Jenkins to possibly go to LT or RT until Bakhtiari would be back.
Newman is the interesting pick to me. He was a 4th round pick who has experience at G and T. In the past the Packers have taken 4th round picks and made them OG's (Sitton, Lang). They have taken Bakhtiari also. I think they will try him at RT first.
Van Lanen I think could be a good OG prospect.

Draft Surprises

I didn't have any surprises in this draft. This draft just made so much sense. They took a CB in the first round. Well one of the biggest reasons they lost the NFC championship game is becasue the CB's opposite of Alexander didn't play well. 2nd round they took Myers. Well Linsley left in FA. 3rd round they took Amari Rodgers. They have been lacking a true Slot WR, PR/KR, and gadget player on offense. They needed more depth on the OL, DL and CB. And they did have a need for a 3rd RB. This draft to me was one that made a lot of sense with all of the picks.

A Special Draft
I could see Stokes playing on special teams. Typically 1st rounders don't. But I could see them using his speed. I think Rodgers will be the main return man. Jean-Charles I think will be a special teams player early as will McDuffie. Special teams should get a boost.

TD Slaton
I like the pick of Slaton. He is a big body who could fit nicely next to Clark. In the 5th round and later if you can find guys who can do 1 thing really well, they are worth the pick. Slaton could be our run stuffer.

"The Situation"
Lets just see how this plays out. So many truths/half truths/non truths being thrown around. Depending on the situation, no one will win from this.

Johnblood27's picture

May 05, 2021 at 10:13 am

OK Al, taking the theme of your polluted mindset and summarizing...

The Black and Blue division took some real steps back to becoming more "colorful".

Things are getting real interesting in the trenches in our little division and the thuds will be coming fast and furious for the next few years.

I hope the GBP stay ahead of the curve and that MLF and Gutey strategized correctly when they went in on a more "balanced" offense meaning we're gonna run the ball right down your throat right up until we pass it over your heads for the score.

I'm all for a throwback offense that dishes it out in large cold portions in TOP and 1st downs piling up rushing yards.

Love it!

May 05, 2021 at 03:57 pm

POUND. THE. ROCK.

3 premiere RBs PLUS a QB who will actually hand the ball off to them? That won't suck.

marpag1's picture

May 05, 2021 at 11:41 am

Dear ARod,

Y'all ain't Jordan, bruh, and Gutekunst ain't Krause. But hey, best of luck in your future with the Washington Wizards anyway.

marpag

splitpea1's picture

May 05, 2021 at 12:23 pm

This article summarizes my feelings almost exactly. Now does MLF finally have all the offensive pieces he needs? Power RB, HB, sturdy slot WR, and a small army of interior offensive linemen....I can't remember right now what some of the contract situations are with some of our defensive players, but we should be able to concentrate on those areas when the time comes.

I'm glad they added Slaton, but would have liked to see us add another DL a little earlier; a more athletic and nimble one would have really solidified this area going into the future.

There's no point in obsessing about the Rodgers drama until something actually happens. Just briefly whizzing through some of the comments over the past couple of days, it's funny how some enjoy putting his life under a microscope and performing a mini psychoanalysis. Shrug.

The "Deep Dive" article on Stokes and the associated clips provided a candid assessment of the player's strengths and weaknesses. Hopefully the Packers won't waste too much time putting him on the field; the sooner he gains experience, the sooner he turns into the premium coverage guy that we need opposite Jaire.

packmann's picture

May 05, 2021 at 03:44 pm

I love what the Pack did with this draft! I have to admit that I wasn't so confident going into last year. 13-3 was awesome in 2019 but our record was suspect. We drafted what many thought were questionable picks last year (Love, Deguara, Dillon) but silenced the critics with another NFC championship appearance! I questioned some of our picks again this year like 'did we pick the right center?' but this draft just reminded me that you have to trust the experts (Packers scouting department) because they do this for a living. I wish they had put more effort into getting a monster DL but again, the Packers know our needs better than me. In other words, what do I know?

I'll tell you what I know! I'm really excited about the 2021 Packers so it would be pretty devastating if the NFL MVP isn't our QB this year!

bbarryirish's picture

May 05, 2021 at 04:43 pm

Go get Alex Smith. No trades- no hassel- give him the team- let him teach Love (think Mahomes)- will not break the bank- one and done.
GO FOT IT.
Full circle.

GregC's picture

May 05, 2021 at 04:56 pm

No, but I give you credit for a really funny idea.

splitpea1's picture

May 05, 2021 at 05:12 pm

Smith retired last month.

packer132's picture

May 05, 2021 at 10:36 pm

He meant it as a joke, since Alex Smith was drafted ahead of Rodgers.