Confessions of a Polluted Mindset 2020 - Packers Lambast the Lions

The Weekly Packers Brain Drain from Jersey Al.

Kevin King: Don't look now, but King may just be the Packers' best defensive back. He's not flashy, but other teams know what the deal is. After watching the game and thinking about the secondary, I couldn't remember King's name being called at the end of any pass plays. Being the "needs facts" type of guy I am, I sought out stats to either corroborate or debunk my feeling. Sure enough, on the "passing vs. coverage" page, King's name does not appear once - in other words, over 33 passing plays, the Lions never targeted a receiver that King was covering or even was in King's zone, if that's the coverage they were in. Not by coincidence, Marvin Jones, who normally gives the Packers fits, had a very quiet 4 catches for 23 yards.

MVS: I feel like MVS grew up a bit during this game. We saw him lay out for balls without the alligator arms. We saw him take hard hits and come back for more. We saw a toughness and mental resolve that may not have been there before. He's starting to believe in himself, to realize he belongs and to know he can be an impact player for this team. It's going to be fun to watch.

Savage: Sorry to report this, but the guy has not progressed from last year, It's only two games, but he continues to take terrible angles, resulting in whiffs or at best, weak tackle attempts. He looks downright unsure of himself at times, hesitating as if he's trying to figure out what to do. We know he has the physical ability to play the position, but it seems the mental aspects are still eluding him.

Kirksey: He was targeted nine times by the Lions with 8 completions. That doesn't sound very good, but most of them were RB dump offs, and to Kirksey's credit, he was right there to make a tackle. Last year, we might have seen Martinez chasing after and not being able to cover or catch up to the pass catcher.

Prevent defense before the half: This drove me nuts. The Lions are on the their own 37 yard line. Knowing about Prater's leg and that they had two timeouts left (I assume Pettine knew these facts), how can you leave 25 yards in the middle of the field open with absolutely NOBODY in that space? It looks like he has the defense playing against a Hail Mary attempt, but is Stafford going to be able to hit the end zone from his own thirty-something yard line? Sure it turned out to not matter, but doing dumb things is just... dumb.

Here were my initial thoughts on next week's game while watching the Saints lose to the Raiders Monday Night. What do you think?

__________________________

"Jersey Al" Bracco is the Editor-In-Chief, part owner and wearer of many hats for CheeseheadTV.com and PackersTalk.com. He is also a recovering Mason Crosby truther.  Follow Al on twitter at @JerseyalGBP

Doug_In_Sandpoint's picture

September 23, 2020 at 02:28 pm

Thanks Al. I love reading your takes. Your comments on King and Savage are new thinking to me. Let’s hope the second year jump for Savage happens soon. I do believe he is a decent tackler though who doesn’t shy away from contact.

Unrelated, but in this political season for the Saints game I’d like to put forth a new platform I call the green and gold new deal:

*Transitioning away from fossil fools through the hiring of Matt LaFleur. His O should see some success against the Saints D I saw Monday.
*Clean Airon Initiatives to keep AR upright and grass-stain free. Here’s hoping there are very few fans in he dome if they are there at all.
*Net-zero emissions of scoring by Kamara. He’s about the scariest thing they have.
*Use renewable energy resources like Jones, Williams, and Dillon.
*Ban fricking...penalties. Let NOL have another night like Monday.

jeremyjjbrown's picture

September 23, 2020 at 06:52 am

LOL

You sound like a dern socialist to me. Next you'll say the people should own the Packers!

wait...

September 23, 2020 at 07:44 am

Winner!

Coldworld's picture

September 23, 2020 at 08:58 am

And we have the power? Some people are more equal than others in Packertopia. Napoleon the pig would be proud.

Bure9620's picture

September 23, 2020 at 10:16 am

CHTV chat would not be complete without a reference to Orwell's Animal farm...........

murf7777's picture

September 23, 2020 at 08:34 am

Funny....also, this comment from Al made me laugh.... “but doing dumb things is just... dumb.” Com on Man, don’t be dumb!

Ferrari-Driver's picture

September 23, 2020 at 10:02 am

Clever and appropriate. Nice to read a little creative, humorous writing for a change; engineers don't often have that pleasure. Big thumbs up for you.

Coldworld's picture

September 23, 2020 at 10:09 am

So much prefer reading to the podcasts.

Bearmeat's picture

September 23, 2020 at 10:28 am

Yep. Me too. The WORST is auto loaded videos. UGH.

September 23, 2020 at 12:56 pm

<<Holds up hand>>

Spock's picture

September 24, 2020 at 07:30 am

^^This^^

Ferrari-Driver's picture

September 26, 2020 at 09:34 pm

Probably true for most of us. We tend to read slightly faster than most people talk. According to my wife I also have trouble listening.

Thegravedigger's picture

September 23, 2020 at 11:45 am

And these damn people from the future... Keep takin our jobbs!! They dook arr juhhbbs

KnockTheSnotOutOfYou's picture

September 23, 2020 at 06:36 am

Exciting times when the GBP's continue to win. Equally as fun as winning for me is watching the growth and development of so many young players. I believe much of the success MLF is having is he understands how & where to plug in players to maximize their strengths. He also seems to understand how to game plan for each opponent and modify his game plan to attack their weaknesses. Skills that seemed to elude MM.

mnbadger's picture

September 23, 2020 at 06:45 am

Great question regardingthelastten years. Maybe AR is just that good? GPG

Razer's picture

September 23, 2020 at 07:46 am

...Maybe AR is just that good...

True Dat

Ferrari-Driver's picture

September 23, 2020 at 10:04 am

Hey Snot, just goes to show the importance of having a trigger man behind center.

"What befuddles me is with all the resources and draft capital invested in the defense vs the offense the past 10-years why the defense still struggles while the offense is going great guns."

Demon's picture

September 23, 2020 at 03:26 pm

And defensive coaching is that bad

greengold's picture

September 24, 2020 at 07:12 am

They put no draft capital into the DL with high picks since Thompson chose Kenny Clark. Kingsley Keke looks like a nice pick from R4 in 2019, but we’re really still waiting to see his results with minimal use.

This game is won in the trenches. I’m hopeful they can add a player or two there who are better than Lowry & Lancaster to finish this season.

Tundraboy's picture

September 24, 2020 at 07:35 pm

And a South Park reference! The same thought crossed my mind

jeremyjjbrown's picture

September 23, 2020 at 06:49 am

"All the prevent defense does is prevent you from winning."

Rest in Turf, John Madden

I lament the fact that my son will never know his butt circling genious.

nostradanus's picture

September 23, 2020 at 07:05 am

King - he’s coming into his own, King is going to make a shipload of money next year, probably with someone else.
MVS - he’s a big play machine (good & bad) but he is showing growth, reminds me of Ted Ginn.
Kingsley- he’s as advertised and at a much better price than Martinez. I believe his best is yet to come after he shakes off the Cleveland rust-belt.
Prevent D - don’t know what to say here except Pettine doesn’t seem to trust his guys out there yet. Hopefully this unit comes together, seems like Defense around the league is lacking so far.

Props to some of the young guys;
Barnes - looks like he can play
Degura - he’s going to be a fan favorite
Dillon - powerful, he going to truck some fools
Scott - the 7th rounder got his first sack
Runyan - he’s getting some valuable reps and has not disappointed
It’s a Huge bonus when your 2&0 in the division and your rooks are getting meaningful reps, bodes well for the depth and the future.
Go Pack!!

September 23, 2020 at 07:53 am

I think you hit on a key point: the players the Packers needed to rely on to fit into player rotations and solidify the two-deep are showing signs of doing it. Two things that give you a leg up in the season: 1. staying relatively injury free, 2. having guys step up when the injuries that invariably will happen do happen.

"Savage- Al you are spot on here, from what we heard his camp wasn’t great either. It took Collins 3 years so there is hope!"

Let's not forget that if the Packers had played a normal camp with preseason games, this is about where they would be with regard to game situations and coaching up mistakes from live fire going into the first regular season game or just after.

jeremyjjbrown's picture

September 23, 2020 at 10:06 am

I feel like Savage has been impacted by the lack of camp. He has all the tools, he hasn't been a liability yet so I agree we just need some patience.

Razer's picture

September 23, 2020 at 07:54 am

...Prevent D - don’t know what to say here except Pettine doesn’t seem to trust his guys out there yet...

Never thought of it this way but it makes total sense. If the safeties aren't solid then there isn't much 'safety'. If we had a Harrison Smith supporting our corners, I doubt there would be this passive approach.

Seems we have to compensate for weak safety AND D-line play.

September 23, 2020 at 09:53 am

I find myself asking the question of whether they're actually giving it any practice time. I'm sure they must be...

jannes bjornson's picture

September 23, 2020 at 10:16 pm

Not buying that argument. There is little reason to run prevent with the Packer pass rush and their D backs. Pettine needs to let them congeal to their Identity. Man-press is the mantra--do it.

murf7777's picture

September 23, 2020 at 08:42 am

For whatever reason the refs are allowing more offensive holding so it is making it harder on the defense to rush the passer and close off running lanes. Does anyone know why? After two weeks, games are averaging around 50 points per game. Should’ve bet on all overs.......darn, another missed opportunity.

LayingTheLawe's picture

September 24, 2020 at 11:51 pm

Penalties are down about seven per game less than 2019 levels A lot less drives killed by a holding so far. Will this hold all year? Stay tuned.

Minniman's picture

September 23, 2020 at 02:59 pm

Re your point on King:

If due to cap pressures and retention order of preference the Packers have no chance of retaining him, do they trade him?

It's obviously going to depend on a number of factors (not least of which being if the Packers go on a late season run and need him)

If King does progress into something resembling a shutdown corner, then the Packers won't be able to afford him and the best possible compensatory pick they could receive would be a third rounder.

So, if Jackson continues to show progress and the form that he did on that deep coverage play against Marvin Jones, then that could be an option. The Packers would also need Darnell Savage to up his game too. If those 2 players improved their consistency then a trade of King could be possible...... obviously not for anything under a first rounder too.

I've said it previously, I really don't envy Russ Ball's job this year!

For mine, if the Packers take down the Saints, Buccs and Texans - then they are going on a run and will need him. If not, then consider his trade value.

jannes bjornson's picture

September 23, 2020 at 10:23 pm

No, sign him. Jaire can stagger his contract a year later. Maybe then , King is a trade piece. They let him go then Bhaktiari gets the cash and the one pick in 2021 goes to CB.

NickPerry's picture

September 23, 2020 at 07:23 am

I'm with Al...This makes 2 weeks in a row the defense has either allowed points or let the opposing team get in position to get points. What's absolutely mind boggling to me is each time there was like 14 seconds left! And that coverage Al pointed out...WTF Pettine!!!!!!

Pettine HAS to get that fixed on his defense. Allowing a team to get points in that fashion, especially good teams is going to bite them in the ass eventually. I love how the defense shut the door on the Lions for the last 3 quarters but against good teams this just can't continue.

September 23, 2020 at 07:35 am

Tramon Williams ?

Coldworld's picture

September 23, 2020 at 08:09 am

Why? Sullivan had a good game. Williams was at best adequate at safety 2 years ago.

The past is rarely a solution. If injuries strike, perhaps.

Demon's picture

September 23, 2020 at 12:46 pm

..WTF Pettine!!!!!!

Maybe its a case of you can take the coach out of Cleveland but you cant take Cleveland out of the coach.

When it is time for LaF to interview coaches again, the first question that should be asked is "have you ever coached for the Browns?"

CoachDino's picture

September 23, 2020 at 03:25 pm

D - I'm still in the DCs corner, he didn't rec any help and his defense has gone 17-3 through 2019-2020. That said can't argue some wtf moments...my reason for posting is loving your "the first question" line... priceless...

marpag1's picture

September 24, 2020 at 06:22 am

"When it is time for LaF to interview coaches again, the first question that should be asked is 'have you ever coached for the Browns?,"

Bill Belichick coached for the Browns.

CoachDino's picture

September 24, 2020 at 05:12 pm

Good point.....

September 23, 2020 at 07:22 am

Good points! I've been beating the drum on King and Jones for a long time. Not just the DL. Your right about Savage. While we must give him more time. Can we just forget the CB talk with him now. Even All-pro. I believe King can be a better safety. Every time I see the switch in the secondary. King is in the place. I truly think if we let KING go it will be a mistake. I love you Pointing out the Pettine flaws. This defense needs to go back to the 4-3-4. It just takes to long for new players to learn it.

Razer's picture

September 23, 2020 at 07:37 am

Savage is the second 1st rounder that we drafted to solidify the safety position. To see the lack of progress is sad - McCarthy sad. I would like to see us try Josh Jackson back there. Just don't know if these guys are smart enough to quarterback the secondary.

Sorry Stockholder but a hard NO to the 4-3 comment. Our front office has struggled to draft on defense despite throwing a ton of picks in that direction. Your suggestion would be a 10 year plan.

jeremyjjbrown's picture

September 23, 2020 at 11:14 am

Not at all. The current personnel would fit great in a Seattle/9ers style 4-3. Which is really a 4-2 most of the time.

jannes bjornson's picture

September 23, 2020 at 10:35 pm

I would prefer Jonathon Abrams teamed with Savage ,but the Gary pick was absolutely fine with my board. People wanted the four pick and go with Thornhill, but Thornhill's injury history is valid and he sits on IR. Jerry Gray needs to do his own thing with the DBs. If Pettine is getting conservative to protect his job, then let him walk.

September 23, 2020 at 12:59 pm

With how little base teams actually play anymore, I don't worry about whether we call it a 3-4 or a 4-3. Most defenses are "multiple" and play that way.

WestCoastPackerBacker's picture

September 23, 2020 at 01:43 pm

Since CB is considered a more important position, why try to change King to Safety? Why would King want to switch to safety and stay in GB when he can make much more money as a CB? And the $-3 requires different guys up front than GB has. Would have to draft those guys and they're not easy to find.

ShooterMcGee's picture

September 23, 2020 at 07:26 am

Savage reminds me of Ha Ha way too much. He takes bad angles and misses so many tackles. Also his lapses in coverage have been glaring. Let's hope he improves so we don't have to invest more draft capital in the safety position.

Coldworld's picture

September 23, 2020 at 09:08 am

HaHa had talent but also had attitude. I don’t see anything of that in Savage. Just inexperience.

jeremyjjbrown's picture

September 23, 2020 at 10:08 am

Thre is a difference between missing tackles and refusing to tackle though. Ha Ha just plain refused to tackle a lot.

Demon's picture

September 23, 2020 at 12:49 pm

I dont think ha ha cared one way or another. No passion no fire and now hes out of the league

WestCoastPackerBacker's picture

September 23, 2020 at 01:27 pm

HaHa would just avoid tacking. Savage is a hitter; he just needs to develop.

Razer's picture

September 23, 2020 at 07:26 am

Totally on with the Kevin King comment and unfortunately too true on the Savage assessment. The Packers seem to have chronic deficiencies in certain positions and safety is a decade. Savage has the raw tools but if he doesn't have the pumpkin for the job then we are swimming against the tide. Unfortunately, we have several of these guys on defense.

I defended Capers, citing a lack of talent. I back Pettine despite gaps in our talent, particularly on the D-line. But, I am starting to wonder about this DC. We still have the talent gaps but there should be enough talent to challenge the weaker teams that we've faced.

Playing the Saints in New Orleans will tell us how solid this team really is. I need to see more from this defense. Not convinced that teams won't just run through us. Brees will manage a good gameplan and it will attack the weaknesses that we all fear.

Spock's picture

September 24, 2020 at 07:43 am

"I want to add the O-line to the spotlight. New O-line coach and new approach seem to work well for the line. Watching the line pull in unison is a thing of beauty. I was worried when we let Campen go but Stenavich is reworking this line and making the run game a serious thing. I don't think that McCarthy and Campen knew how to put it all together."

These were my thoughts EXACTLY. The one coach I hated to see let go was Campen but the OL is playing so well with multiple pieces changing every game so far. Also glad we seem to have some really good depth at OL -even with Taylor out for the year (that poor guy just can't catch a break -oops, bad choice of words).

PeteK's picture

September 23, 2020 at 07:41 am

King is definitely coming into his own, but I still think Alexander is our best CB because he usually covers the opposition's best receiver and his tackling is better than anyone of our DBs. While watching the Saints/Raiders game, I noticed how hard hitting and sure tackling their safeties ,Harris and Abram, were and realized how that is missing from our safeties. They will be a much more potent O with Thomas back, but if we make Brees dance in the pocket and establish our running game ,it should be Madri Gras all over again for the Pack.

murf7777's picture

September 23, 2020 at 09:11 pm

Agree Alexander is better but King is a very good 2nd corner. He’s 6-3 and most that size cannot play corner.

jh9's picture

September 23, 2020 at 07:48 am

Al... Your player comments are spot-on, as usual.

As for the MNF game Saints vs Raiders, I was concerned whether the Packers could beat the Saints before that game - but not afterward. The Saints looked old and undisciplined. They may clean up some things before the Packers game, but Brees’ arm won’t get stronger or more accurate. The Packers will win Sunday night.

Lphill's picture

September 23, 2020 at 02:05 pm

The Saints had 2 weeks straight of over 120 yards in penalties as well.

Guam's picture

September 23, 2020 at 07:52 am

I would add a couple of players to Al's list:

Rashan Gary: Much has already been said and it is clear he is becoming a force as a player.

Josh Jackson: Picture perfect coverage on a fly pattern and he returned a punt while replacing the injured Ervin. Is the light bulb finally coming on?

WestCoastPackerBacker's picture

September 23, 2020 at 01:28 pm

It's not just the light bulb. They finally have him playing on the outside which is what he did in college. Last year they tried to train him to play outside, slot and safety. I think that set him back quite a bit.

Coldworld's picture

September 23, 2020 at 08:05 am

Your Savage comment brought back flashbacks on Collins as late as year 3. Safeties notoriously Frequently take time to get these aspects of the game. Hopefully it will click as it did for Collins, whom many wrote off. Sharper had similar issues before him.

Kevin King is a player who might be the best investment for a new contract if you take the long term view. Whether we can is a different matter.

Your take on Kirksey matches mine. I think he is playing an unglamorous role and is a significant upgrade if not a spectacular one.

LaFleur needs to tell Pettine to can Prevent D, it sounded like there had been some words after week one about coaches taking the foot off the gas. Prevent D seems particularly unsuited to our players and to the good aspects of Pettine’s system. Sometimes we all need a correction. Let’s hope LaFleur has that intervention until this is a bad memory only,

splitpea1's picture

September 23, 2020 at 11:31 am

You're right--prevent defense has its usefulness, but the Packers don't do it right. Actually, I don't know WHAT they're doing sometimes, as illustrated by the photo above.

CoachDino's picture

September 23, 2020 at 03:46 pm

King or A Jones both could be looking at 3-4 years at 9 mil plus?

Tricky decision as A Jones is an Elite RB and has been balling. We don't even hear about King but from astute analysts.

RB is considered more of a commodity (high supply/little overall differential/not critical) where as CB is considered a (high value, tough to replace/specialized)

I don't see a replacement for king on the Roster and I'm not a big fan of Sullivan though he is fine for min pay 3rd DB.

Ya what's up with Savage and Amos, I see some things watching the game but unless I rewatch with intent it's tough to make solid judgements. These guys are getting savaged on PFF Grades. I think both will come into their own as the season progresses. Savage just needs to get out of his own head and let the game come to him. He's the opposite of HaHa who tried to hide from the game as much as possible.

Great stuff Al

September 23, 2020 at 08:23 pm

Adrian Amos has a 45 grade from PFF. Savage has a 44.2: these suggest putrid safety play.
Amos had a 76.5 high quality grade for GB in 2019 and Savage got a 68, also a high quality grade.

No idea what's up with Savage and Amos.

RCPackerFan's picture

September 23, 2020 at 08:24 am

Kevin King:
I had that same feeling that teams were avoiding going Kings way. We have one of the best duo's at CB. Sullivan played much better in the 2nd half. Jackson made a huge play late in the game. Our CB's are looking good!

MVS:
I think MVS will have opportunities all year to make big plays. The part I love though is even if he makes a mistake Rodgers is still targeting him. I think that will only boost his confidence. I had a good feeling about MVS going into this year. I think we are starting to see him really take a huge step this year. MVS's ability to stretch the defense will only help Jones and the running game. Defenses won't be able to just stack the box trying to stop the run when there is a chance for the deep ball.

Savage:
I knew there would be a couple of guys that the no offseason would hurt. It appears Savage is one of them. Season is young. There is plenty of time for him to emerge.

Kirksey: Overall Kirksey has been a good pickup.

Prevent defense before the half:
I felt the same thing. Playing everyone deep and on the sidelines leaving the entire middle of the field open? Simply pitch and catch. Could have easily cost them 3 points which would have slowed down some of the momentum they had going into halftime.

Lphill's picture

September 23, 2020 at 08:26 am

We are missing a beast inside linebacker until we get one nothing will change , I say at least bring Clay back he can play both inside and outside .

Coldworld's picture

September 23, 2020 at 08:34 am

ILB play hasn’t really been our problem to date. Matthews isn’t likely to improve it. Considering the fact that the best rookie in camp isn’t even starting and his replacement hasn’t been a liability, this position could finally be on the up. If we get Clark back and Greene is able to play more snaps, the ILBs should have an easier time. But the problem is in front of them from what I have seen.

Guam's picture

September 23, 2020 at 09:01 am

Concur ColdWorld. ILB has not been the Packer's problem this year and they will get Martin back at some point although he will have to work hard to pry Barnes out of the starting spot. The Packers really do need help on the D-line. Adams is next to useless and Lancaster and Lowery should be backups, not starters.

Demon's picture

September 23, 2020 at 12:59 pm

You are just going to keep beating that dead horse huh? CM3 already said no thank you to the broncos to whatever contract they were offering. Where do you see him playing? inside/middle LB? The Pack wouldnt pay Martinez what makes you think they would pay CM3 what he wants to play there? Do you think he is going to play outside? Once again whatever his salary demands are would be more than GB would pay for a #4 or 5 edge rusher. CM3 is NOT coming back!! Get over it!

13TimeChamps's picture

September 23, 2020 at 02:13 pm

This is the same guy who used to post ad nauseum awhile back that GB should trade Rodgers to NE or SF so he could win another SB. Numerous posters on here tried to explain to him that trading him this year (or next) would absolutely destroy our salary cap. AND that it's not the Packers job to find Rodgers another SB with another team. None of that deterred him, so I'm sure you'll be seeing more "Let's get CMIII" posts from him.

Demon's picture

September 23, 2020 at 03:48 pm

Some people cant let go of the past. Raise your hands if you were one of those clamoring to bring back jordy as recently as the summer. Why stop there everyone, i saw Driver and Lofton on tv recently,may as well sign them too. Lmao

murf7777's picture

September 23, 2020 at 08:53 am

King and Jones play this year has just made the decision of who to keep extremely difficult. Also, Bak and Linsley are rated top 5 at their respective position. Good luck Gutey with those decisions, you are in a no win situation.

Since&#039;61's picture

September 23, 2020 at 08:59 am

I have never liked the Prevent D especially before the end of the first half. Keep the pressure on the opposing QB, disrupt him at the least. But definitely do not give away 20-25 yards.

King is playing solidly which is a combination of staying healthy and gaining experience. Maybe we franchise him to keep him.

Savage??? As always my question is, where is the coach??? It looks like the game is still too fast for him. He needs help in terms of angles and positioning. Basic stuff which the DB coach should be working on with him.

As for the Saints if we can move the ball as we have during the first 2 weeks we should be fine. Once again the Packers get the benefit of no fans in the stands. That is a big deal in the Superdome. Go Pack Go! Thanks, Since ‘61

PhantomII's picture

September 23, 2020 at 11:40 am

Agree 61. In High School our Baseball coach made us run sprints when we missed a bunt or did not get a base hit. I will tell you one thing. Nothing brings focus into focus like pain. When we got back from the sprint we went right to the front of the batting line. The baseball was as big as a saucer by then. LOL. Hello State Champs Baseball. Anyway how about some competition in practice running down WR's taking angles and if you don't get it RUN, RUN, RUN until you get good at it. It only took us a day to get really focused. Savage has a lot of potential it just needs to be extracted or motivated "FOCUSED".

cheesehead1's picture

September 23, 2020 at 11:24 am

Hope Jerry Gray puts in some extra work with Savage, he’s still very young. On a side note, I actually saw Josh Jackson make a nice play down the sideline. Hope he can build off that.

murf7777's picture

September 23, 2020 at 10:04 am

After watching game tape it is evident that Lovett isn’t the answer at HB. His blocking is below average and is less physical compared to Deguara. I hope Deguara comes back soon.

Coldworld's picture

September 23, 2020 at 10:34 am

Lovett is an ex QB development project. Hope they hang on to him but I agree.

Leatherhead's picture

September 23, 2020 at 10:36 am

We have not lost, or come close to losing, because of the prevent defense. A lot of misplaced angst.

Our RBs had over 40 touches and targets, and they moved the ball over 300 yards. We’re the highest scoring team in the NFL, and we’re the leading rushing team in the NFL.

Did somebody say “Run more, pass less?”

PhantomII's picture

September 23, 2020 at 11:23 am

We really have not played a good team yet either. Not being negative but our "D" is not close to spectacular. Our offense is playing great and every offensive player picked especially the OL has done exceptional bouncing around filling holes. Pretty disappointed in the TE Sternberger. Really thought he'd come out on fire. Hopefully he gets on track soon. Not a big fan of Pettine but he is not drafting the DL either so he has what he has. RB 's are doing great along with solid OL making holes to exploit. ML has been doing a great job with his play designs and we are executing. Our Offense is covering our Defensive deficiencies so far by getting ahead and making teams play to our defensive strength. . Rodgers is playing consistently well both games so far. He seems motivated to get to the super bowl.

Leatherhead's picture

September 23, 2020 at 12:46 pm

Have we played a good team yet? Last year, both those teams we beat had decent offenses with decent QBs....I don’t know how they’ll stack up this year. I suspect Minnesota will be at least average. Detroit, maybe not. This weekend against Nawlins will be a good test. If you hold the Saints under 30 at home, your defense is probably pretty good.

Our defense has scored 9 points already and pitched a shutout in 4 of 8 quarters. Are we as good as those quarters, or as bad as a garbage time quarter?

PhantomII's picture

September 23, 2020 at 08:08 pm

Last year the queens had Diggs a legit #1 WR. They also lost half their Defense this last off-season. I don't think they have jelled yet. Detroit is Detroit , QB was injured in one of the games and sent their best CB elsewhere. Our Defense has talent but on the DL other than Clark, nobody making big strides there. The D with a healthy clark maybe top 10-15. Until the line gets fixed with an influx of plus players it is gonna be a rougher ride than it should be. CB's above average, OLB's above average, Safety very average, DL average with Pro bowler Clark. Below average without him.

jeremyjjbrown's picture

September 23, 2020 at 11:32 am

Just because they didn't loose to the Vikings doesn't make 24 points in the 4th quarter ok.

Leatherhead's picture

September 23, 2020 at 12:34 pm

Did we win or lose?

Have you ever played any sport where you knew you had won so you eased up?

jeremyjjbrown's picture

September 23, 2020 at 04:42 pm

Not like that.

scullyitsme's picture

September 23, 2020 at 12:27 pm

Did somebody say “Run more, pass less?”
The packers have had 142 plays. They passed 75, ran 67. That’s with two large leads in the 4th.

We get it, your trying to convince everyone how smart you are, the only problem is smart people don’t have to try to convince anyone. Nor do they waste time trying.

Leatherhead's picture

September 23, 2020 at 12:38 pm

So are running more and passing less than last year? Yes. I never said we should run more than we pass. A smart guy would know that.

Demon's picture

September 23, 2020 at 05:29 pm

Go ahead and pat yourself on the back. You must need that a time or 2 every day. If i remember correctly you were one of the clowns that were the loudest for keeping TT and McCarthy. How do you feel about that now?

Run more throw less! Leatherwhatever has reinvented the wheel everyone!.....can I please have your autograph?

Leatherhead's picture

September 23, 2020 at 07:06 pm

I think TT made it to the championship game 4 times in 10 years.

You can’t have my autograph.

PhantomII's picture

September 23, 2020 at 11:05 am

Really well presented Al. Completely agree. I see some fundamental problems with the Packer "D" as well. We have slow growth at certain positions I believe because we don't have experienced veterans who are past or current pro bowl level players. These young guys come in and are possibly faster or bring certain un-teachable talent and don't have a savy vet to take them to the next level. Safety is the perfect example. We had Williams for the CB's and Clark for the DL and the Smiths for OLB. The DL hasn't made a big trend up because of talent level has peaked at the lower branch. Gary has the Smiths who are good examples and the Safety position with Amos, he's a pretty good tackler but does not operate close to pro bowl level for Savage to grow faster and trend up, there is a missing mentor there and or coaching attention to detail. Not every player has to have this like RB A. Jones or D. Adams shows ALL NFL WR's how to play the game he's the perfect WR example to draw from. The OL has been outstanding in talent and coaching. I think Pettine is still so worried about the pass we will be hurt by a big run team again. The only thing saving us there this year is an explosive balanced offense which keeps the other team off the field. We have been scoring so many points the other team has to throw the ball more. What happens when we come up against a top 5 Defense? Will Pettine be able to stop the run to get 3 and outs with our DL talent?

mnbadger's picture

September 23, 2020 at 11:29 am

Savage - last year there was much talk about the great job Adrian A was doing as a mentor to Savage. we also upgraded our d-back coaching in the off season. Is he distracted or not fully buying in? Seems he's got everything going for him but currently not taking advantage of it. GPG

jannes bjornson's picture

September 23, 2020 at 10:55 pm

Ask the DC. I would have Savage as involved in play making as Jon Abrams for the Raiders. If Amos cannot control the box and make a difference put him in single high and generate some action with Savage. Use his speed and Instincts.

Thegravedigger's picture

September 23, 2020 at 11:49 am

Craig newsome comes to mind when you mention king not being mentioned. No one outside green bay even knew crqig newsome cus his name was never called.

Packers0808's picture

September 23, 2020 at 12:17 pm

Prevent defense seems to prevent nothing but large gains and FG especially! With kicker legs these day almost no length seems safe anymore!

flackcatcher's picture

September 23, 2020 at 03:23 pm

Fans may hate the prevent, but coaches keep using it. Why? In one word, analytics. (Kind of like the shift in baseball) There will always be down and distance where the dreaded one will show up. Madden was always screaming about the prevent after his active coaching days were over. I repeat, after his active coaching days were over. Heck, Bad things happen when teams go to the prevent. And really bad things happen on the field to teams wearing the Green and Gold. And on this turf, away from home, the odds are bad no matter how one stacks them up. No to the prevent this week. (or any week) No No No No....

jannes bjornson's picture

September 23, 2020 at 11:05 pm

A prevent defense neuters your team, in a strategic as well as a psychological sense.

September 23, 2020 at 09:10 pm

Both Savage and Amos have gone from high quality players per PFF to crap per PFF (45 and 44 grades, respectively).

There has to be a reason. If it were just Savage, I'd think perhaps a sophomore slump, or he's dinged up, etc. That's not the case.

murf7777's picture

September 23, 2020 at 09:21 pm

Hard to tell but it’s only two games. Their grades seem to be questionable at times as well.

Coldworld's picture

September 24, 2020 at 06:42 am

Without knowing what they are being asked to do that might be different it’s impossible to know.