Combine Here I Come

Aaron Nagler is headed to Indianapolis for the NFL Scouting Combine.

One problem with the Packers winning the Super Bowl is that it pushes what little "draft prep" I would normally be doing back by about a month. While we all were busy watching the Packers take apart the Steelers, those that cover the 30 other teams were already weeks into their research on which players might be good fits for their teams, the needs of those teams, etc.

While we all know I am no great fan of the Draftnik Industrial Complex, I do look forward to the Combine almost as much as I look forward to Kickoff Weekend. The best part about it is that there is little to no pomp-and-circumstance. It's just a big room full of the best in the business talking all things football. The new blood of NFL players are there, almost all the coaching staffs from all 32 NFL teams, along with the agents for every current NFL player.

To the average fan it might all be a bit boring, but to die-hards like you and me it is absolute heaven. I can't begin to express my gratitude for the way you guys responded to our plea for funds (you all are basically sending me to Indianapolis) And I certainly understand the responsibility that comes with this gift. While Brain Carriveau will be on site giving you all the latest on the prospects (he's the college football guy around here and is far more expert when it comes to the players we'll be seeing than I) I'd really like to know who you have an eye on, who you think that deep sleeper will be that Ted plucks in a later round to help the Packers defend their title. Let me know in the comments section.

I'll have live updates on Twitter from Indianapolis starting tonight and I will obviously be posting as much as I can. And not just draft stuff - I've had a bunch of observations from the 2010 season that the day job has kept me from writing that being at the Combine will afford me the time to put up.

Talk to you next from Indianapolis.

BubbaOne's picture

February 23, 2011 at 06:22 am

I read this:

Best "small" school prospect of 2011 NFL draft Mike Gee (IUP)...6-2, 245.

Don't know much about him, not sure if he's even at the combines. There's the synchronicity aspect of possibly having a "G"ee on his helmet and on his back...nyuk, nyuk.

Chad Toporski's picture

February 23, 2011 at 08:43 am

I went to IUP, but I graduated a couple years ago... wish I could provide some more insight on Gee.

Last year, Akwasi Owusu-Ansah was the seventh player in IUP history to be drafted. He was picked up by the Cowboys in Round 4.

BubbaOne's picture

February 23, 2011 at 06:40 am

KR/PR...Torrey Smith, Titus Young...who?...even in the later rounds.

Maybe TT changes this year w/ a team poised for a few more SB runs but his MO is they have to contribute at another position.

BubbaOne's picture

February 23, 2011 at 06:47 am

Curious to know if the people at the combines think we have the answer at OLB opposite CM3 already on the team (Jones/Walden/Zombo)?

If not, then of course who in the draft class would be a difference maker at OLB?

Tarynfor 12's picture

February 23, 2011 at 08:15 am

I believe a guy like Zach Hurd for the OL and Lester Jean,WR from Fla Atlantic.Some have Houston as a OLB for us but I'll fall back and go with Jeremy Beal of Okl as the OLB.
For a 6th or 7th rd true sleeper as I had with Starks last year,I will go with Devon Wylie-WR/KR from Fresno State,a real"make the first two guys miss" Desmond agility,ability and mentallity.He will replace Swain and Jean will step into the possible JJ or DD void create by contract and injury accordingly.

davyjones's picture

February 23, 2011 at 08:54 am

I am so glad you are there, Aaron. It is so cool that we could come together and send a representative to report back for us.

We have the picks (if TT doesn't package to move up-which I'm not at all opposed to) and just not that many needs to fill. A returner would be a great addition...if he could play a position, all the better. If not for simply improving the team, just for the sheer excitement factor...we haven't had an electrifying returner in so long and it can add so much excitement to the game.
Last year, I didn't really care about the return game. I just wanted to have guys back there who could field the ball cleanly. It didn't really matter to me whether we started from the 20 or the 35...I felt like we'd score from anywhere on the field. There simply aren't that many pieces to fill in...but find us a good PR/KR while you're there.

NoWay Jose's picture

February 23, 2011 at 10:04 am

Aaron, please be sure ask to ask Bedard whether the Patriots are still the "hottest" team in the NFL when you are down there...

Seriously though, keep an eye on the WR group generally. I don't have any favorites, but I am pretty convinced that we are due to take one somewhere in Rds 1-7 this year with it having been a few years and the JJ/DD situation. Find us new one!

PackerAaron's picture

February 23, 2011 at 10:36 am

Trust me - I have shown no mercy both in regards to the "hottest team" comment and the fact that he picked Bears/Jets championship weekend, while I picked Pack/Steelers ;)

CJ in Guatemala's picture

February 23, 2011 at 10:28 am

The more I think about it and the more I read about it, I'm growing into the opinion, that they take a WR/PR type of player within the first 3 rounds.
I'm sure, nobody wants to see Tramon fielding punts next year, specially after elevating his game to a shut down corner.

So my money is on Best Player Available from these three positions: OL,ROLB,WR/PR

redlights's picture

February 23, 2011 at 01:03 pm

I don't want Tramon fielding punts after seeing his poor, but non-factor, fielding in the playoff's. Poor decision making.

But do we really want to see a rookie fielding kicks next year while defending our title? With Finley, and a I'm-sure-he's-better Quarless; I'm not certain that we need that much help at WR. Picking a 5 or 6 would be okay, but not any higher (requisite deferral to TT).

jeremy's picture

February 23, 2011 at 11:20 am

"One problem with the Packers winning the Super Bowl is that it pushes what little "draft prep" I would normally be doing back by about a month."

I'm hopeful TT had a plan in place to limit this effect on his scouting efforts.

We're all looking forward to your reports!

PackerAaron's picture

February 23, 2011 at 11:39 am

Take comfort in the fact that the Packers won the Super Bowl on Sunday - and Ted and all the personnel people met for their regular Tuesday draft-prep meeting. ;)

james's picture

February 23, 2011 at 01:09 pm

Keep an eye on Cecil Shorts WR from Mount Union. He dominate the D3 level and I think is the type of guy TT will love. Pretty good returner too i think.

BubbaOne's picture

February 23, 2011 at 04:18 pm

Aaron,
He said Cecil Shorts...not Cecil's shorts.

Check out Curtis Marsh CB Utah State he could also be a KR.

PackersThad's picture

February 23, 2011 at 01:57 pm

I don't really follow college prospects at all, I depend on people like Brian to keep me informed. So I have no one to request.

I just want you to know that pay day is at the end of the month and I'll make sure that CheeseheadTV gets a couple of beers to thank you for EVERYTHING that you have done this year! This site is everything a Packers fan could need.

FITZCORE1252's picture

February 23, 2011 at 07:46 pm

I follow the draft and it's participants like a freak. That said, I'm just going to enjoy it this year. Not gonna sweat who "I" think we should take. Last year at this time I was at the forefront of the Jerry Hughes bandwagon (still think he's miscast in Indy's 43, he'd be a natural opposite Clay), and what did I get for it? A great young Tackle... So pretty much whatever Ted and crew decide I'm behind 100%. This team is stacked and it's hard to imagine a rookie coming in and getting much playing time (especially with the studs coming off of I.R.).

Ted, do what you do. And I will just sit back, relax, and enjoy the copious coverage on NFLN.

Aaron and Brian I will look forward to your nuggets from Indy.

GBP 4 LIFE

DJ Walker's picture

February 24, 2011 at 10:31 am

Definitely check out Cecil Shorts III from Mount Union, if he was even invited. The Combine isn't always so welcoming to D3 prospects. I HATE all things Mount Union but he'd be a perfect late round pick as a slot receiver and PR/KR.