Cobb Seen On Crutches

Rookie reciever Randall Cobb was seen using crutches while out and about in Green Bay.

Rookie wide receiver Randall Cobb had a markedly quieter game against the Cardinals in the second week of the preseason than he did in Week One against the Browns before exiting with a knee injury. After the game, head coach Mike McCarthy termed the injury a "knee bruise."

Today, Paige Pearson of FOX 11 tells us Cobb was seen around town sporting crutches.

Coach McCarthy said Randall Cobb left Friday's game with a "knee bruise". Saw the rookie WR at a GB establishment with crutches.

UPDATE: This is a bit more comforting:

From a recent physical therapy grad RT @EAPLAAA Pretty standard to keep weight off of painful limb following acute injury such as a bruise

asshalo's picture

August 21, 2011 at 03:26 pm

Great thing Chastin West is coming along. If it came to it, I wonder who would do kick-offs and punts then? House, Lee?

Jay's picture

August 21, 2011 at 03:33 pm

Alex Green and Chastin West I presume

Dave D's picture

August 21, 2011 at 03:41 pm

Crutches may be needed with a bruised knee, which may exhibit pain, swelling and limited motion and may make it very uncomfortable to bend and put full weight on.

Oppy's picture

August 21, 2011 at 03:49 pm

If I have a contusion that ends up swelling up to the point where there's a pound of my own blood pooling around my knee in a lump the size of a softball....

Well, technically, that's still a bruise.

Of course the team isn't going to release exact details. They are going to release as little as possible. Let's not act like this is anything new.. Um, Clay Matthews/stress fractures, anyone??

First off, they don't want to tip any other teams off to potential weakness or injury in their players. THat's just bad business. Second, even though it's football and the league requires declarations on player's health status if they are missing practice or games, the Packers tend to try to preserve the player's right to medical (and personal) privacy as much as is possible or reasonable. Many, many examples of the Packers telling the media "You'd have to ask the player, it's his business to expand on that."

Sure, a lot of times it's smoke up the media's arse, but what do we expect?

Third, crutches don't necessarily indicate extreme injury. It indicates extreme caution, however. Even a simple ankle sprain of the normal-everday-regular-joe type will heal much faster if all weight is kept off of it.

PackerAaron's picture

August 21, 2011 at 03:52 pm

"Let’s not act like this is anything new.."

Um, who was?

Oppy's picture

August 21, 2011 at 04:05 pm

No offense meant, but the post- whether intentionally or not- has an air of conspiracy or cover-up about it, mostly stemming from this statement:

"..but the use of crutches by Cobb sure doesn't seem to line up with a "bruise.""

If the article just states that MM said he had a bruise, and Cobb was seen on crutches, I wouldn't have made that comment.

Clearly, i've misinterpreted the tone.

PackerAaron's picture

August 21, 2011 at 04:06 pm

Speculation and worry is what it was. Pretty simple.

Oppy's picture

August 21, 2011 at 04:10 pm

Fair enough, then. I will accept that even the simple evades me from time to time.

PackersRS's picture

August 21, 2011 at 03:56 pm

He's been citing quite a few passages regarding overcoming obstacles through twitter... For what's worth.

PackerAaron's picture

August 21, 2011 at 04:51 pm

Trying not to think about it... ;)

PackerAaron's picture

August 21, 2011 at 04:51 pm

For those who may have missed it, I have added a Tweet from Ty Dunne to the post:

From a recent physical therapy grad RT @EAPLAAA Pretty standard to keep weight off of painful limb following acute injury such as a bruise

channel Don Hutson's picture

August 21, 2011 at 05:00 pm

There is a reason the Packers have a crack staff of trainers and Green bay has better orthopedists than you would expect for a city its size. Let them do the diagnosis and treatment, and let sports journalists stick to sports not sports-medicine diagnostics.

Tommyboy's picture

August 21, 2011 at 05:34 pm

I'm not sure who you're suggesting diagnosed here or what treatments have been detailed.

PackerAaron's picture

August 21, 2011 at 05:46 pm

"There is a reason the Packers have a crack staff of trainers"

Right, and there's a reason bloggers write about the players and not the trainers. Try commenting on what I've written rather than projecting an imaginary subject for you to unleash your completely unfounded snark.

channel Don Hutson's picture

August 22, 2011 at 12:27 am

Aaron...

"Obviously, it's impossible to know what exactly the nature of the injury is or its severity - but the use of crutches by Cobb sure doesn't seem to line up with a "bruise.""

Stick to football related commentary, not treatment related. Thank goodness Cobb didn't use a wheel chair to keep the weight off his knee, he'd be gettin put on the PUP list by CHTV!

Tommyboy's picture

August 22, 2011 at 01:08 am

And yet, he added a professional's opinion that contradicted his own.

Next time, Aaron, think twice about raising an eyebrow in any area in which you're not an expert on YOUR BLOG. If you don't, you'll be stripped of your AP credentials. Don't you forget it, pal. We come here for the facts so we can impress our girlfriends. There's no room for speculation.

By the way, last week you questioned Sherrod's ability to be successful at left guard. GB has coaches and a front office for that...pretty good, too. They won a super bowl. Maybe you can let them handle that?

channel Don Hutson's picture

August 22, 2011 at 07:56 am

And if the professional's opinion was sought first maybe there wouldn't have been the story, which probably shouldn't have been written in the first place.

This is a great blog, not only the best Packer blog, but overall a great football blog. It doesn't need to lose stature by over-reacting to medical rumour. Plenty of football rumour to address.

Tommyboy's picture

August 22, 2011 at 08:34 am

Overreaction. Funny - that's the same word that came to my mind. Wow.

Brian's picture

August 22, 2011 at 10:43 am

Wow, Id back off those Sherrod comments, as all indications are that he is failing to pick up the scheme, failing to make the transition, and his play against AZ on Friday could have led to the Pack having no Aaron to start the year. Id say TommyBoy should shutty, cause it looks like Aaron was dead on!

Tommyboy's picture

August 22, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Brian - maybe read the whole post again...I was laying the sarcasm on as thick as I could. Sherrod's a nightmare at LG. I was making a point that channel is a little misguided as he appears to believe that incredibly light speculation on an injury is out of bounds...for a BLOG.

Brian's picture

August 22, 2011 at 04:22 pm

My Bad TommyBoy, I didnt catch the sarcasm. Sorry!

davyjones's picture

August 21, 2011 at 06:06 pm

I think his whole fibula is shattered and he's due in for surgery on Tuesday.

retiredgrampa's picture

August 21, 2011 at 07:50 pm

Some things never change. Any kind of injury to one of our boys and our hearts sink. That's perfectly normal for an avid fan. Let's keep our spirits up just as Cobb is doing now.

Brian's picture

August 22, 2011 at 04:23 pm

It is funny you said that, as just a little bit ago I read about Zombo and my heart did just that, sink. I cannot be much more avid a Packers fan, having the G logo tattooed on my chest for my 18th b-day nearly 22 years ago. Damn I am old.

Norman's picture

August 21, 2011 at 09:29 pm

Seriously, these posts sound a lot like my wife and I arguing over nothing. Can't wait for the regular season to start so we (the posters on this blog, not my wife and I) can start arguing over actual games that mean something. Sheesh!

Brian's picture

August 22, 2011 at 04:24 pm

Amen! Until then, I think I will pick a fight with my wife tonight!!! LOL

Tommyboy's picture

August 22, 2011 at 01:03 am

If Cobb can't go next week, maybe we'll see a little more Chastin West and Alex Green. I'd be okay with that.

Jordan's picture

August 22, 2011 at 10:39 am

If anyone doesn't speak "McCarthy" here, let me help.

Knee bruise = knee sprain

If you have followed McCarthy's injury reports over the years, he calls a knee sprain.....a knee bruise.

That injury report history, of course, does not guarantee that this will turn out to be the case with Cobb here.

I watched the play several times in which Cobb was injured. It looked like the type of hit that would result in an MCL sprain.

Typically, only a grade 3 MCL sprain requires crutches, however I'm sure they would make him use crutches for a grade 2 MCL sprain.

If it turns out to be a grade 1 or 2 MCL sprain....no big deal. If it's grade 3....that's a big deal.