CheeseheadTV 2019 NFL Draft FUBAR Board

Every team has one. A list of players off their normal board and on what some call the FUBAR board. These are players the team has decided they would never draft, regardless of where they might be available. It can be for many reasons: character issues, lack of certain skills, poor fit with the team's scheme, etc. But usually, it because they've proven to not be good human beings, not been able to stay clear of substances or not be someone your team can rely on.

Every year, our CHTV authors name their own personal FUBAR player. For your entertainment, here they are.

Tim Backes

Jeffery Simmons, DT, Mississippi State - Simmons is a talented player, one who will be seen as a high-risk, high-reward pick given he's coming off an ACL injury he suffered in February. This means he won't be playing until November at the very earliest if he gets on the field at all this season. Given DT is already a position of strength for the Packers (though more depth can never hurt), it's not particularly worthwhile to pick the guy in an early round. But what tips Simmons over the edge for me in terms of being a person I wouldn't take at any point in the draft is that he has a domestic violence incident in his past, and was actually not allowed to participate in the combine even had he been healthy. Quite frankly, the NFL continues to be far too soft on the domestic violence issue, and if I'm the GM, I'm not taking anyone who's got a domestic violence incident on their record, especially considering the other concerns that already exist about whether he'll be able to play at all this year.

Jersey Al Bracco

Rashan Gary, DE, Michigan - It's painful for me to have to put the FUBAR tag on a Jersey boy, but if there's one thing that scares me, it a guy with all the talent in the world that just doesn't seem to care. Gary has been villified by Wolverine fans for playing small at the most crucial moments, while his less talented couterpart at DE, Chase WInovich came up big. Gary was a man amongst boys at Paramus High School, never having to try too hard to be dominant. The "not trying too hard" approach continued in college, but needless to say, there's a big difference in competition level at a place like Michigan. It's possible Gary figures it out, but I'm not holding my breath. Gary has significant BUST potential in my book, and that makes him my choice for the FUBAR board.

Brandon Carwile

Dawson Knox, Tight End, Ole Miss - Every time I watched Knox I came away underwhelmed. He had a great combine but rarely do I see that workout athleticism show up in his tape. Knox is also a very raw receiver and blocker with a history on injuries that make me question his longevity. I can't pinpoint one thing he will be good at on the next level.

Dusty Evely

DK Metcalf, WR, Ole Miss - Metcalf's athletic profile is basically that of an alligator. Really fast in a straight line, but can't really cut at all. When you're a wide receiver who has the agility comp of Tom Brady, I'm not interested. Metcalf is a big guy and he can absolutely fly, but I can't see him being anything more than a one-note player.

Andy Herman

Tyree Jackson, QB, Buffalo - 245 pounds, laser-rocket arm, monster hands, 4.59 – 40 yard dash, massive vertical and broad jump – this player has literally everything you would ever want in an NFL quarterback prospect… except the actual natural ability and accuracy to play quarterback. Tyree Jackson is the classic NFL example of prospect fool’s gold. He looks the part in every aspect of the position. If an old school NFL scout were to build a quarterback prospect from scratch he probably wouldn’t look too far off from how Jackson is built. But the truth is Jackson’s mechanics and accuracy are so bad that he has almost no redeemable value as a quarterback prospect. Teams will try, and he’ll get drafted, but give me one of the short, scrappy quarterbacks like Easton Stick or Brett Rypien every day of the week.

Zachary Jacobson

Rashan Gary, DE, Michigan- You could argue Rashan Gary's best asset is his ability to set the edge -- and the Packers already signed two players capable of doing that this offseason. Not only would it be a redundant addition given that fact, but I've just never been high on Gary from the start. His collegiate production was poor and his arsenal as a pass-rusher is limited, similar in fashion to Montez Sweat, whose athletic profile is off the charts. Gary could drop to the fifth, sixth, even seventh round: I'm not touching him. .

Cory Jennerjohn

Dexter Lawrence, DT, Clemson - Versatility wins ball games in the NFL and it’s hard to make a case for Lawrence when he only plays on first and second down. Lawrence is one of the best run-stoppers in this draft, but that’s not what the NFL currently is. Since NFL teams pass 60 percent of the time, Lawrence and his 340-pound frame will find it hard to carve out a niche in the NFL.

David Michalski

DK Metcalf, WR, Mississippi - There is not a question of whether his talent is worthy of the Packers 12th pick.  The only question looming, is whether his long-term availability deems him worthy of being selected.  I personally believe this year's draft is far too crucial to the Packers future to draft a player whose career could realistically end with one hit.  The reality of the situation is DK Metcalf has yet to sustain a hit since his neck surgery and there is a huge risk factor investing such high draft capital as the Packers would be chartering into the realm of the unknown when it comes to his health.  Yes, he has been cleared by his surgeon, but there has to be a high level of trepidation surrounding his candidacy.  He is at a higher risk to be susceptible to chronic neck trauma and a career-ending neck injury, there is just no way around that.

Jason Perone

Jefferey Simmons, Mississippi State - The reasoning here is simple.  To draft Simmons is going to require at least a second round pick.  Some team is going to pluck him hoping for an extreme value. Hopefully it’s not the Packers.  He’s not likely to play much his rookie season.  He also has the off field issue.  It’s just a bad equation overall.

Chris Peterson

Rashan Gary, DL, Michigan - For me, it's Rashan Gary. He has a ton of talent but he seems more concerned about what happens off the field instead of on it. He has his own sports firm already and didn't produce much at Michigan for all his talent. Now, there is a report about a shoulder injury, I just wouldn't go there. Too much risk for a guy that doesn't seem to love the game.

Ross Uglem

Jaylon Ferguson - EDGE Louisiana Tech - There is almost no history of a player testing as poorly as Ferguson did having a consistently successful NFL career.  His college production is going to get him drafted, there is no question, but it's going to be before I'm comfortable with it.  His awful agility scores show up in the film, but someone is going to see that raw number of sacks and pounce.

__________________________

"Jersey Al" Bracco is the Editor-In-Chief, part owner and wearer of many hats for CheeseheadTV.com and PackersTalk.com. He is also a recovering Mason Crosby truther.

wildbill's picture

April 24, 2019 at 04:12 pm

Loved this article. I hope the Packers have the same view on these players. They are all very legitimate concerns

GBPDAN1's picture

April 24, 2019 at 10:18 pm

"Gary could drop to the fifth, sixth, even seventh round: I'm not touching him"

I'm not sold on Gary either. Completely underwhelming at Michigan, I expected so much more. I definitely wouldn't draft him in the first 3 rds. But, I don't agree with not taking him in rds 5-7. Why not take a chance that late in the draft on someone with his athleticism and size? Maybe Pettine could light a fire under this bum. If Gary ever did turn it on, he could be totally worth a late rd chance

NickPerry's picture

April 25, 2019 at 04:55 am

I agree..I'd take him in the 4th and on but what REALLY scared me other than his obvious underwhelming career is the shoulder. He has a torn labrum which it said won't require surgery.

Things that make you go HMMMMM...

Once the Packers draft a DT, TE, S, OL, OLB, and ILB, THEN take Gary if he's still there.

Lare's picture

April 24, 2019 at 04:30 pm

We've had enough day one busts, we don't need another one. Jim Owzarski had it right, you need players in the first round who 'll contribute on the field. Don't care where that is, just needs to stay healthy and contribute somewhere.

April 25, 2019 at 07:25 am

It will be interesting to find out how BG treats that #30 pick. Is it ammunition to bolster a move up in round 1? Is it an opportunity to move down for more day 2 capital? Does he use it to add a solid player? Does he use it to gamble on greatness?

Philosophically, given that they were able to acquire it last year and still get what appears to be a pretty good player (Alexander), it could be like finding a $100 bill as you walk down the street. Do you buy groceries with it? Do you treat yourself? What do you do?

McFly's picture

April 25, 2019 at 09:14 am

^^^This! I've been pondering the same... My hope is that they trade up into the top-5 for the chance at an elite player that they covet. While trading up obviously carries inherent risk and everyone will tell you that you still have no guarantees of landing a superior player in doing so, the potential reward is also greater and worth it in this case IMO.

That #30 pick is essentially like playing with house money, trading up is a fitting use of resources for such a gamble. Now is the time to put all the chips to the center of the table and go all-in.

IceBowl's picture

April 24, 2019 at 04:30 pm

My "Draft FUBAR Board"consists of all the "experts" posting all their "expert mock drafts."

Experts would evaluate and understand the players traits, talents and measurables and come up with similar boards.

Experts would have consensus. Similar boards.

We have none of that. Just talking heads. A blind game of darts would be just as good.

FUBAR mock draft experts.

Lare's picture

April 24, 2019 at 04:37 pm

That doesn't mean their dratft opinions aren't valid. The Packers have had their share of first rounds busts, not a good time to have another.

IceBowl's picture

April 24, 2019 at 10:11 pm

Lare,

That is my point. All their draft opinions ARE valid.

But if they were actually "draft experts"all the data they would see and evaluate would spit out similar results. ie: most mocks would be very similar - a player a rank a position or two different.

Not this hodge podge of opinions that produce such dis-similar results (mocks).

Experts are supposed to be experts.

Opinions are what the rest of us has.

jeremyjjbrown's picture

April 24, 2019 at 11:09 pm

Coming here and reading is optional. If you don't like it go do something else.

IceBowl's picture

April 25, 2019 at 10:20 am

jeremyjjbrown,

If referring to me, I have to assume sarcasm. I didn't say I didn't reading or commenting here.

Leatherhead's picture

April 24, 2019 at 04:56 pm

Montez Sweat. 12 sacks in 13 games. 3 of them against an overmatched backup against Auburn. 5 games where he never got to the QB, one more where he got 0.5 sacks. Doesn't accomplish much against better competition.

27 tackles in 13 games. One forced fumble. No fumbles recovered, no passes defensed.

jannes bjornson's picture

April 24, 2019 at 09:13 pm

He's light in the legs. That's why I went with Ferrell @ #12.

AgrippaLII's picture

April 25, 2019 at 06:44 am

You did not bring up his medical issue...that alone takes him off of my board.

McFly's picture

April 25, 2019 at 09:25 am

I don't think the medical will scare teams all that much. I think he'll be a really solid player when its all said and done.

That being said, I prefer Burns. His get-off at the LOS and bend is otherworldly and I think he would be a great compliment to the Smiths.

Jack Vainisi's picture

April 24, 2019 at 05:23 pm

These are all valid opinions based on my extensive research since last October. With plenty other available options this year why ignore credible warnings supported on film, especially on day one or two?

PackEyedOptimist's picture

April 24, 2019 at 06:31 pm

Couldn't agree more about Rashan Gary. Watching game tapes, he REGULARLY stopped his effort after about TWO STEPS if the play was going away from him. I don't think I've ever seen a "highly rated" player who dogged it SO quickly SO often.

Nononsense's picture

April 24, 2019 at 06:40 pm

Rashan Gary and DK Metcalf yes, I wouldnt take these guys if they last into the 2nd ir 3rd round.

But Simmons and Sweat are still in play for me. I would take Sweat at 12 or 15 and Simmons at 30 knowing I still have 8 picks to work with. Simmons is a top 10 pick and someone is gonna take the risk on him in the first and if the Hawks don't snag him at 29 I would stop his fall at 30.

When you try to hit homeruns sometimes you strike out or fly out. Playing it safe can result in an out as well, so swing away Gute.

Turophile's picture

April 25, 2019 at 03:56 am

I'd take Simmons at #30 in a heartbeat.

I don't have all the little details and evidence of the domestic incident, just the general picture that most of us get, but not all DI's are equal, and those details matter. So does his subsequent conduct.

Being ok with taking Simmons does not mean I'd take another guy with similar talent and something like a DI in his past, its always a case by case thing, but everything I have heard about the Simmons behaviour at the time, and his conduct since then, says (to me) yes, we can take him.

Ultimately, you have to trust the Packers scouting dept to get to the bottom of this and with all the information they can get, make their best judgement. Since the Packers are a fairly conservative franchise, I'd rely on them to know enough to make a reasoned choice one way or the other.

sonomaca's picture

April 25, 2019 at 06:17 am

Backes is peddling a falsehood about Simmons. That’s irresponsible. He did not commit domestic violence. He attached a woman who was attacking his sister. He was defending, not hurting, his family.

April 25, 2019 at 07:34 am

The fact that the Packers took a look at Simmons on a pre-draft visit could be just due diligence, or--I suspect--it could be that they're trying to find out who he is and what he's about with regard to his past (and, of course, to make sure his knee was on schedule). Was, by all accounts, a boy scout in college after that incident.

I'd love for him to push all the way to #44 and give the Packers that kind of gift. A recovering knee and questions about his behavior might push him that far down the board. I'd still be happy with him at #30, though. I think that if you put him next to Kenny Clark, he's going to be a star.

Here's the question, though: Oliver slides to #12 and the Packers take him. Simmons on the board at #30? I think #44, I'd have no qualms doubling up at DE in this way, and Oliver and Simmons flanking Clark sounds awesome, but I don't know if I'd throw #30 at Simmons after taking Oliver.

TimBackes's picture

April 25, 2019 at 10:05 am

I don't think I stated anything false.

Quote from an article about the incident:

"The video shows a fight between two women, Sophia Taylor and Simmons’ sister, Ashley Bradley, in Simmons’ hometown of Macon, Mississippi. Initially, Simmons tries pull Bradley and Taylor apart. As the fight continues, he jumps back into the pile, pulls Taylor away and swings at her multiple times while she lays prone on the ground.

Accounts given to 247Sports vary as to what exactly happened in the lead-up to Simmons’ blows. (Taylor and her attorney did not respond to requests for comment for this story.) But one thing is consistent — Simmons felt his family was threatened. The dynamic between Taylor and Simmons’ family was said to be “toxic.” The fight reportedly started as an argument between Taylor’s daughter and Simmons’ younger sister. Insults were traded on both sides, including some about Simmons’ dead family members, before Simmons’ family confronted Taylor in her car.

Simmons, a senior in high school at the time, posted this since-deleted March 26 message on his Facebook page after the incident: “I take full responsibility for my actions that occurred on Thursday evening. My apology goes out to the Taylor family and especially to Sophia Taylor. What was I thinking? Honestly, I wasn’t thinking. All I could think was this is my family, and I am supposed to defend my family.”

No matter the circumstances that surrounded Simmons entering the fight, though, it’s hard to account for the extreme nature of Simmons’ response. “I saw (Simmons’) quote, ‘I felt like I had to protect my family,’” says sports psychologist and anger management expert Dr. Mitch Abrams. “You look at the size of him and you’re like, ‘I think you’re trying to kill a cockroach with a bazooka.’ I’m not sure so many strikes were necessary.”

It won't let me link to a video of the incident, but you can find it pretty easily.

Lphill's picture

April 24, 2019 at 07:08 pm

Being as Kevin Bust King is not participating in voluntary mini camp the Packers might be drafting a CB early.

egbertsouse's picture

April 24, 2019 at 07:58 pm

Nick Bosa- Typical Ohio State meathead with an IQ lower than a box of rocks.

RickInCali's picture

April 24, 2019 at 08:29 pm

Sweat did not look good against Risner and you add in the heart issue? Hard pass. Imagine the devastation to a team who has a guy die in a game or on the practice field.....

Calling Simmons off-field issue “domestic violence” is fake news. That is NOT what happened. Is it untrue that he came to his sister’s aid when another girl was beating her? Also no mention that he’s done tons of community service and otherwise been a model citizen in the YEARS since that incident took place? Save the PC BS or at least present it factually.

ScaryGary's picture

April 24, 2019 at 10:11 pm

i disagree on metcalf, watch his highlight reel and then watch randy moss last college year. injury is only concern

PackEyedOptimist's picture

April 25, 2019 at 07:06 am

I agree. Metcalf could end up being a special deep threat. People say he's only a one-trick pony; I say, "Yeah, his one trick is catching 50 yard touchdowns--that's a pretty good trick." Besides, his "one trick" includes being great at getting free at the line of scrimmage, making contested catches, and running past EVERYONE. Ignore his "agility tests." Watch his tape.

ricky's picture

April 24, 2019 at 10:43 pm

As soon as you wrote "Metcalf" and "neck injury", I cringed. Too many Packers players have been lost too early to neck injuries. Sterling Sharpe to Nick Collins and J. Finley, among others. This is why you keep that 12 foot Hungarian around- because you don't want to touch this guy with a ten foot Pole.

PackEyedOptimist's picture

April 25, 2019 at 07:11 am

But not every neck injury is the same. I'd trust the medical reports, as they will have been very thorough with Metcalf.

Lphill's picture

April 25, 2019 at 05:40 am

I think the so called experts at NFL. Com are putting out scripted mock drafts , none have anything in common with the next , if they are experts how could they all differ so much , Daniel Jeremiah says Packers taking a receiver at 12 because Rodgers has no Targets then a O lineman at 30 . I highly doubt the Packers go offense with both first round Picks . Another expert there says Packers have to go QB this draft early to replace the aging Rodgers.

sonomaca's picture

April 25, 2019 at 06:24 am

Dillard at #12 is getting most buzz. I still think there may be an opportunity to trade up for Quinnen Williams.

Also, Bosa effectively told SF to take a hike. He hates Kaepernick and loves Trump. Take it from someone who grew up in Northern California...those kind of politics gets your car keyed, at a minimum.

PackEyedOptimist's picture

April 25, 2019 at 07:10 am

Bosa is the guy who I could see dropping a lot. I think he could potentially be there for the Packers, just because he's been so injury-prone. It's not like there aren't other HEALTHY, high-quality edge guys in the top 10.

sonomaca's picture

April 25, 2019 at 07:41 am

This draft will be a real test of Gute’s skill (and his intelligence network). It really comes down to QB’s.

I think the action will start with Rosen. Teams have been claiming not to be interested. We will see.

Could also see a blockbuster trade for Murray. Raiders, Murray, Vegas, Gruden...that’s fairy tale type of stuff. Also, would sell out Raiders tix for next 5 years.

Then, there’s Haskins. Claim was that he was falling. Now, truth seems to be...he’s not falling. Then there’s Lock. Falling? Not so much. Then there’s Jones. He will never be any good, Tannehill 2.0. No, wait, he’s rising!

If QB’s rise, good position players fall. Stay alert, Gute!

TheKanataThrilla's picture

April 25, 2019 at 11:04 am

If we were under the old regime with McCarthy I would think Dillard would be the guy. Best pass blocker in the draft supposedly. With LaFleur's shift to more of a running attack I wonder if he would be the type of OT we would target. We did bring in a lot of OTs for a visit. I have to trust we found a few of them that we would be happy drafting to fit our system.

AgrippaLII's picture

April 25, 2019 at 07:10 am

I've got to think that Gutekunst has already identified the players he will not draft...I'll be shocked if he drafts any of these players!

sonomaca's picture

April 25, 2019 at 07:45 am

My prediction is QB’s go in at least 3 of top 4 spots, which means Bosa or Quinnen is there at 5. #30 should be enough to move from #12 to #5.

sonomaca's picture

April 25, 2019 at 07:48 am

Bosa, Smiths, Clark, Daniels, Fackrell.

Cannot block that.

blacke00's picture

April 25, 2019 at 09:32 am

So far I'd give Gutekunst an average grade.

I'm afraid he's going to go out and do something stupid like drafting one of the above players in the early rounds a la Thompson! TT had some early success and it went to he head. TT's drafting of "injured" players, drafting and playing them out of position, drawing players without proper input from the coaching staff (I'm drafting this player and you'll play him where ai think he should play)
Whether that happened or not it sure seemed that way!

We'll see whether he's a good GM in 3 years...won't we?

marpag1's picture

April 25, 2019 at 12:08 pm

I would absolutely draft Jeffrey Simmons, as long as his knee checked out and the draft slot was favorable.

Everyone agrees that domestic violence cannot be condoned... not in any case and not in this one, either. But let’s be clear: In this case, we’re talking about a kid in high school, who was at least in part defending his sister, who did not inflict grievous injury, and who has been, by all accounts, a choirboy ever since.

Some people believe that any instance of domestic violence is such an unforgivably heinous evil that no punishments and rehabilitations imposed by legal authority can ever be enough to pay the debt. No, but over and above what the courts impose, it is society’s duty to make sure that those who have been guilty of such violence shall never find gainful employment ever again, for eternity.

I am not one of those people. I would strongly consider him at 30, and I'd probably jump at 44.