Charles Woodson States His Case

Charles Woodson tells SiriusXM's NFL Radio that he is still the best overall cornerback in the NFL.

Charles Woodson was not only an integral part of the Green Bay Packers latest Lombardi Trophy, but when the 14-year veteran finally decides to call it quits, he will likely find a bust bearing his resemblance in Canton, Ohio as part of the National Football League Hall of Fame.

So how does a player of Woodson’s stature still find motivation to go out and perform on a daily basis? He knows there are still those who doubt his dominance.

SiriusXM’s Rich Gannon and Adam Schein attended Packers training camp on Wednesday as part of their NFL Radio broadcast. Gannon, a former teammate of Woodson’s in Oakland, and Schien asked Woodson what motivates him after all these years. The 34-year-old cornerback replied that he does not get the respect he deserves.

"I was watching TV the other day, I think it was the Monday night game, and I think Bill Parcells said that (Darrelle) Revis was probably the most complete corner in the game," Woodson said via Bob Wolfley of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. "Is there another more complete player than I am in the game? I feel like I still don’t have the respect I deserve as a football player so I’m going to keep going out and grinding until I get it."

Woodson, who doubled the number of votes over Darrelle Revis for the NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 2009, further articulated what still makes him the best cornerback in the league.

"I don’t know. I mean, you know, just all of the things you mentioned, sacks, fumbles, covering, forced fumbles, playing nickel, playing dime, playing safety, playing corner, and doing it all in the same game. I mean, if you can tell me somebody else that’s doing that, I’ll listen. What I’m going to continue to do is try to get better as a football player and like I said, I still feel like I’ve got to go out there and gain respect even at 14 years in the league. Obviously I still have something to prove out there so I’m just going to keep grinding."

The pundits can debate all they want, but it’s difficult to dispute Woodson’s all-around talent. He plays multiple positions and roles, but more importantly, he is a leader on and off the field.

When Darrelle Revis’ career comes to a completion, a more fair assessment can be made, but until then, Charles Woodson is exactly who he thinks he is: The best cornerback in the National Football League.

PackersRS's picture

August 17, 2011 at 07:43 pm

Darelle Revis has 1 season. 1 season. Nothing more.

Last year he was good, but Tramon Williams had a better year than him.

Revis has 1 elite year.

Played in NY. In the East Coast.

ZeroTolerance's picture

August 17, 2011 at 10:38 pm

And his coach is a fat-assed, lard-assed big-mouthed lump.

Arnison's picture

August 18, 2011 at 02:49 am

lol, so true

al's picture

August 17, 2011 at 08:13 pm

Yea im pretty sure the packers have the best corners in the league. Yes the Jets and Eagles have great corners but I'll take the Packers over them all. Woodson and Williams are top 5 Corners IMO and Shields is the next upcoming great CB in the league. With Burnet and Collins the Packers secondary is legendary.

FITZCORE1252's EVO's picture

August 17, 2011 at 09:43 pm

Yep.

FITZCORE1252's EVO's picture

August 17, 2011 at 09:47 pm

Lets hope his bust resembles him... Did you see the induction ceremony this year? Those things were barely recognizable.

GBP 4 LIFE

maxginsberg's picture

August 17, 2011 at 09:49 pm

Hopefully it comes complete with his goatee.

lebowski's picture

August 17, 2011 at 10:27 pm

I think they used the same guy who did the Unabomber sketch

Edward's picture

August 17, 2011 at 09:48 pm

kinda hard to peg Woodson as a CB. he's so versatile in the secondary.

i guess there are probably better cover corners at this stage of Woodson's career, but are they smarter and better contributors to their defenses?

ZeroTolerance's picture

August 17, 2011 at 10:40 pm

ZeroTolerance's picture

August 17, 2011 at 10:36 pm

This is why I like this site. I commented on a JS posting and had the nerve to suggest that Mr. Dunne had a Lori-esk approach to posting feel-good human-interest stuff.

You guys are the best - keep giving us the real thing!

Blake's picture

August 17, 2011 at 10:59 pm

To quote Charles after Michigan beat David Boston and Ohio State in 1997

"they do the talkin', I do the walkin'"

I'm looking at you guys, Rex and Revis.

Chris's picture

August 18, 2011 at 01:16 am

So what? Of course Revis' coach talks about him like that. I would be angry with him if he would not.
But greatness will not be determined after one season or by one coach, but over the span of a career and by independent people.
So go on, nothing to see here.

P.S. If this motivates Charles to another great football season, this is a good thing anyway.

Jake's picture

August 18, 2011 at 02:20 pm

Does everyone think Woodson is guaranteed a spot in the Hall of fame?

CSS's picture

August 18, 2011 at 02:50 pm

I hate to ever use the word 'guarantee', but when you look at his overall body of work (now topped with a championship) and compare it to what others currently residing in the hall of fame have done he's a pretty sure bet. Should he produce even a handful of forced fumbles, interceptions, fumble recoveries or scores (not to mention another championship) than I will say guaranteed.

As of now, almost a lock.

PackersRS's picture

August 18, 2011 at 03:10 pm

First ballot.

Jake's picture

August 18, 2011 at 03:58 pm

I'm glad other people think this, the guy has just been a great football player for years and years now.

I also really want to see him get the pick 6 record. He isn't too far away...