Capers Reportedly A Candidate For Broncos Job

Green Bay Packers defensive coordinator Dom Capers is reportedly a candidate for the Denver Broncos head coaching position.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that the Denver Broncos are interested in interviewing Green Bay Packers defensive coordinator Dom Capers for their vacant head coaching position.

Bob Wolfley of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel sums up the report from Schefter.

The key word here is "interested." Per NFL rules, Capers cannot be interview for the job until the Packers are eliminated from the playoffs or there's a bye week, the next opportunity for which would be the week between the NFC Championship game and the Super Bowl.

Given that one of the biggest challenges for the Broncos moving forward will be the development of quarterback Tim Tebow, I personally find it hard to believe they'll hire a defensive-minded coach.

That said, it does show that there is interest in Capers as a head coaching candidate once again.

Recently Jason Wilde of ESPNWisconsin asked Capers if he could envision himself being a long-time defensive coordinator in Green Bay much like Dick LeBeau in Pittsburgh.

Capers replied, "I enjoy what I’m doing, I love the challenge, I love our players, I like our staff, I enjoy working for Mike. I’ll do this as long as I have my health and enjoy what I’m doing. And somebody will have me around."

RockinRodgers's picture

January 10, 2011 at 10:12 am

No. Hire someone else.

Jayme's picture

January 10, 2011 at 10:23 am

Here's hoping for a long playoff run. The longer Capers is forbidden from interviewing, the better the chance of other teams getting impatient.

hyperRevue's picture

January 10, 2011 at 10:23 am

I don't get why any team would want a twice-failed head coach. Capers is clearly better suited to be coordinator.

dullgeek's picture

January 10, 2011 at 11:32 am

deleting - other people already made comment. OOps.

Packnic's picture

January 10, 2011 at 10:38 am

First of all Capers is a hell of head coach. Calling him a twice failed head coach is ridiculous. Two expansion franchises and he took one to the NFC Championship in its second year. Its hardly fair to call him failed. He succeeded about as much as one can with an expansion franchise.

But I think John Fox would be the guy in Denver. Just a hunch though. And Jayme nailed it... the longer he is untouchable the better off we are.

hyperRevue's picture

January 10, 2011 at 10:49 am

I'm sorry. I have all the respect in the world for Capers, but he's 48-80 as a head coach in 8 seasons. Yes they were expansion teams, but I think 4 years in each city should be enough time to show some sort of improvement - but each time his teams regressed over his tenure.

He's failed twice as a head coach - that's simply a fact. Some guys are just more suited to be coordinators. And he's one of the best. There is no shame in that.

Ct Sharpe Cheddar's picture

January 10, 2011 at 02:21 pm

The 2 expansion teams where really packed with premium players from other teams back then.The NFL didn't want what hppened to the Seahawks and Bucs from 76(who were bad for a long time).The Jags also made it to the championship game in 96 that year and lost to the Pats.

NoWayJose's picture

January 10, 2011 at 11:04 am

Past performance always dictates future performance? Capers is KILLING it in Green Bay right now. Isn't it possible that he has just figured things it out and put it all together? If you were a GM, you might definitely think so.

Here's hoping nobody does, because I want to keep the guy! But I am not convinced at all that he couldnt make a hell of a HC.

hyperRevue's picture

January 10, 2011 at 11:19 am

No, of course past performance doesn't "always" dictate future performance.

But Capers is killing it now as a Defensive Coordinator. I don't think killing it as a DC is in any way an indicator that one has "put it all together" in terms of being a head coach. They're totally different animals.

Case in point: Capers was killing it as a DC in Pittsburgh before getting the Carolina gig and killing it as a DC in Jacksonville before getting the Houston gig and we already know how those situations worked out.

Like I said, I have the utmost respect for Capers. But I just don't see any reason that this time around would be any different than the previous two.

t's picture

January 10, 2011 at 11:47 am

And wow have both of those teams shined since he left (Carolina and Houston)... Carolina still is a joke 87-104 since Capers left (including 16-32 record with George Seifert). If you can call Siefert a bad HC then you are the joke.
Houston still can't do anything better then a .500 team.

hyperRevue's picture

January 10, 2011 at 11:53 am

Actually, Carolina had several good years under John Fox. But that's really besides the point.

And of course Seifert isn't a bad coach. Obviously his SF tenure overshadows his Carolina one. But, again, that has nothing to do with Capers.

Scriptura's picture

January 10, 2011 at 11:08 am

NO,no,no,no,no,no,no and no.

That's what MM should tell him.

zub's picture

January 10, 2011 at 11:20 am

It comes down to what Capers wants, I believe if he wants to be a head coach there will be a team in the NFL that will give him that opportunity.

He has a good long term thing going on in GB, not sure his pay rate, but if he does take HC job, his pay scale significantly increases over the next 3 years, at that point he is 65 years old.

Fiancially it makes sense for him to take the job

Doug In Sandpoint's picture

January 10, 2011 at 12:05 pm

If McCarthy got hit by a bus this afternoon I think many of us would vote for Capers to replace him. Ergo, he would make an acceptable choice for others as well. But I agree with Scrptura...No, no, no, no, no no!

hyperRevue's picture

January 10, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Ha. That is a very good point.

Though I suppose there is probably a reason that Winston Moss is the assistant head coach. What that reason is I have no idea. And it could very likely have nothing to do with head coaching potential.

Doug In Sandpoint's picture

January 10, 2011 at 05:33 pm

Maybe Winston Moss is the Assistant TO The Head Coach.

hyperRevue's picture

January 10, 2011 at 12:20 pm

That is an interesting take.

If for some reason McCarthy were to be fired mid-season, I wonder who the Packers would pick as their interim coach. Capers has the HC experience. But I feel like they'd want to keep an offensive-minded coach at the helm, which would point to Philbin.

MarkinMadison's picture

January 10, 2011 at 01:18 pm

"No" is probably better stated as, "No, please," because I don't think that MM can tell him "no" on this one. If I was the Dom, I wouldn't go anywhere without a proven QB or a dominant set of defensive talents under contract. 62, third and probably final shot at HC, I'm not going to a team that does not have a solid winning formula in place. Denver definitely does not fit the bill.

Clay Toporski's picture

January 10, 2011 at 02:06 pm

Exactly. Denver has big problems. Not a place I would want to go if I was DC.

thepretzelhead on twitter's picture

January 11, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Doug,
You forget to add "God forbid" when one writes of such a horrible thing to happen to another.

BLACK HAWK's picture

January 10, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Capers leaves he'll try persuade Coach Greene to come with him. Let's hope all the HC openings are quickly filled.

foundinidaho's picture

January 10, 2011 at 01:39 pm

I'm about to go stand outside Capers' house with a boom box playing Peter Gabriel.

Ct Sharpe Cheddar's picture

January 10, 2011 at 02:26 pm

your eyes

Ruppert's picture

January 10, 2011 at 02:53 pm

I hope you're not planning on bringing a TV and playing the Sledgehammer video. He'll think you're crazy and call the cops.

foundinidaho's picture

January 10, 2011 at 05:42 pm

I was thinking more of "Shock the Monkey". Just saying. ;)

Maybe I'd play KC and the Sunshine Band "Please Don't Go."

There, I've dated myself. Badly. (I was a small child then.)

hyperRevue's picture

January 10, 2011 at 01:57 pm

Off-topic, but I loved this: http://tinyurl.com/4949nvg

PackerBliss's picture

January 10, 2011 at 07:15 pm

That is absolutely hillarious!!

FJ Dan's picture

January 10, 2011 at 10:54 pm

That is AWESOME.

thepretzelhead on twitter's picture

January 11, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Cutler is awesome...in that the guy is always pissed off...win or lose. Classic. And glad we face him twice, I mean three times a year.

Asshalo's picture

January 10, 2011 at 01:58 pm

He's 60 years old and not getting any younger. Sounds like he'd be hired to turn them around and then be told to give way to another head coach. He's in a good position right now to be successful until he retires as the packers D Coordinator.

redlights's picture

January 10, 2011 at 02:08 pm

Is there any connections between Atlanta or Chicago and Denver? I'm not into conspiracy, but either team has to be pretty nervous about facing GB, so why not stir the pot a little? Call in a favor from a trusted fiend (spelled correctly) in Denver.

Capers would take a job if offered (who wouldn't), but my take on some of his comments is that he is happy here and doesn't want the headaches of HC.

Ct Sharpe Cheddar's picture

January 10, 2011 at 02:30 pm

Hopefully he wants to win a championship in a couple of years.His best chance for that is too stay were he is.He needs a ring.Andy Reed stills wears his even when he is coaching against the Packers.

redlights's picture

January 10, 2011 at 02:47 pm

Bite your tongue!!

He will win a championship THIS year; and a good chance next year, if the younger players keep their head on straight.

Cole's picture

January 10, 2011 at 02:58 pm

Some of capers success is a result of the players Ted has given him to work with

Edward's picture

January 10, 2011 at 05:38 pm

I see that from the opposing perspective: the defensive position coaches and Dom Capers have done a great job "coaching up" the new people. They helped make TT look like a genius.

thepretzelhead on twitter's picture

January 11, 2011 at 12:50 pm

rather not find out which is the truth until about 10 years from now.

Edward's picture

January 10, 2011 at 03:41 pm

Give the man a raise and gift basket. Whatever it takes to keep him here in the DC role.

WoodyG's picture

January 10, 2011 at 05:13 pm

All due for HC interviews in Denver ......Greg Williams, Rick Dennison, Dirk Koetter, John Fox ...... Eric Studesville & Perry Fewell have already been interviewed ..... No mention of Capers with a scheduled interview per Denver Post ......

"The Denver Post writes that the Broncos plan to bring back 2-3 finalists for second interviews and expect to have a coach in place by the middle of next week." " The Broncos’ next head coach should be known by Jan. 19. "

Hyperrevue's picture

January 10, 2011 at 08:27 pm

They can't schedule an interview until the Packers are out of the playoffs.

PackerAaron's picture

January 10, 2011 at 08:31 pm

Or the bye week before the Super Bowl. ;)

FITZCORE1252's picture

January 10, 2011 at 10:19 pm

I like the cut of your jib.

usmarinesjz's picture

January 11, 2011 at 02:03 am

What's a jib? lol

FITZCORE1252's picture

January 10, 2011 at 08:27 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. He's too old for you! He's washed up! Leave him alone!

GBP 4 LIFE

BLACK HAWK's picture

January 10, 2011 at 11:42 pm

Edward,

TT is a genius.

Austin Auch's picture

January 11, 2011 at 04:29 am

Well as long as we don't see him on this http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/headcoachingsearch.html
We should have nothing to worry about.

thepretzelhead on twitter's picture

January 11, 2011 at 12:53 pm

But the guys running that page can't hold a candle to CTV....so take it for what it's worth...lack of research, knowledge, imagination, and hard work. DC is a candidate.

Ryan's picture

January 11, 2011 at 04:56 pm

Most successful Head Coaches fail at the job before succeeding. There aren't too many guys who have proven they can successfully run a 34 defense like Capers, which would suit Denver's personnel. With most the of the hot candidates off Denver's list for HC and coordinators, it seems they can afford to be patient and wait for a few more guys to drop out of the playoffs to beef up their list current options.

Go pack.