Building Through the Draft

Ted Thompson has taken untold amounts of grief in the last three years for how he has chosen to build the Packers roster through the draft almost exclusively. Mostly fans, but a few media members as well, have taken Thompson to task for eschewing free agency completely (which, of course, he hasn't really, signing Woodson, Pickett, Manuel ect last year) and not bringing in 'big' names to add to an offense with sparse play making ability.

Well, it would seem the owner of the Colts, (you know, the high-powered, Super Bowl champion Colts) Jim Irsay thinks that Thompson's approach is the way to go, after watching his team get burned by the signing of Corey Simon. (Which, I have to add, leads to the subject of why teams ever, and I mean ever, sign players that the Eagles want to get rid of. When was the last time the Eagles let a player walk or traded him and he went on to star for a new team?)

Free-agency, as Thompson has stated, can be an ocean with dangerous waters to navigate. There's a reason those players have been allowed to leave their last team. Buyer beware. And while building through the draft may not get you lots of headlines in the off season, it's the best way to make sure you get better every season. And that's what Thompson is trying to make sure the Packers do.

TXPackerbacker's picture

July 22, 2009 at 02:27 pm

I for one am really excited to see what J. Thompson evolves into by the end of the season. If I had to guess the future - this next offseason the Pack lets Kampmann walk or franchises and trades him like C. Williams last year. Then Thompson and CM3 turn into a feared OLB tandem!

Go Pack!

TXPackerbacker's picture

July 22, 2009 at 03:50 pm

I for one am really excited to see what J. Thompson evolves into by the end of the season. If I had to guess the future - this next offseason Teddy lets Kampmann walk or franchises/trades him like C. Williams last year. Then J. Thompson and CM3 turn into a feared OLB tandem!

Go Pack!

TXPackerbacker's picture

July 22, 2009 at 03:51 pm

I for one am really excited to see what J. Thompson evolves into by the end of the season. If I had to guess the future, I would say that during next year's offseason Teddy lets Kampmann walk or franchises/trades him like C. Williams last year. Then J. Thompson and CM3 turn into a feared OLB tandem!

Go Pack!

TXPackerbacker's picture

July 23, 2009 at 11:51 am

This is what I've been trying to tell my friends who are Bears' fans from the beginning! I truly believe the Packers have a solid roster built to go deep into the playoffs. They'll be in the top 5 on D this year!

Jesse's picture

July 30, 2009 at 12:04 pm

Watch, Crabtree will hold everything up for the rest of the top 10.

Jesse's picture

July 30, 2009 at 12:48 pm

Crabtree is going to mess this up for all 8 of the top 10 left. I am glad we took Raji!