Brett Favre is a J E T

According to Jay Glazer at Fox:

The month-long saga has finally come to an end, with the Packers trading their future Hall-of-Fame quarterback to the New York Jets.

The exact compensation was not immediately known, but it is believed to be a single draft pick that increases in value depending upon how the Jets perform during the 2008 season.

As a result of this, the Jets will likely release a quarterback. Signs have been pointing to Chad Pennington as the likely culprit because the team will need to free up cap room to fit Favre's contract under the salary cap.

The Jets were much more aggressive than the Bucs in their pursuit of Favre all along. The bigger issue was getting Favre on the same page as the Packers front office as far as the Jets were concerned.

Finally, late Tuesday, Favre talked to Jets head coach Eric Mangini and others in the organization for the first time as they tried to convince Favre he would be a good fit in New York.

Update- Adam Schefter at NFL Network is breaking the terms of the deal - 4th round conditional pick that could be a 1st round pick depending on how far Jets go.

Keith's picture

August 07, 2008 at 03:04 am

Well, at least he's still wearing green (and I still get to watch him weekly.)

To be honest, I'm still a bit bummed tonight. Even though I knew this was inevitable, it sucks to see him on another team.

Brett will always be my quarterback. As Aaron said earlier, time for a new generation of Packer fans to have their own heroes. (Ugh, now I feel old!)

PackerAaron's picture

August 07, 2008 at 03:10 am

Why do I suddenly feel all empty inside...?

Mr.Man's picture

August 07, 2008 at 03:18 am

I don't feel empty, I just feel a little depressed. Of course, the glowing reports on Rodger's performance in practice today have me feeling a little chipper.

Does anyone else think that Favre is going to have a bit of a rude awakening next season? The Jets definitely have less offensive talent than the Packers, have to play the Pats twice, and the Meadowlands is not an easy place to throw the ball. Never mind the voracious and unforgiving NY media and notoriously hardheaded Jet fans. He retires after this year, I bet.

Oh, ESPN and the Press-Gazette have now confirmed the reports as well. The NFL is as leaky as a sieve.

lostinutah's picture

August 07, 2008 at 03:39 am

Holy cow, Aaron feels empty. So do I. For almost 1/2 my life I've watched that man do things that were awesome. I don't want to watch him do it for anyone else.

I want to cry.

shoegal4's picture

August 07, 2008 at 03:48 am

I understand the emptiness. You know it's coming. . and BAM. Chris Carter was on ESPN, He was asked what he would ask Brett right now. Chris's answer: "Are you sure you wanna do this?" That Chris Carter is becoming one of my favorite analysts along with Troy Aikmen.

Bobby O'Shea's picture

August 07, 2008 at 04:47 am

Jay Glazer has been all over this story.

bob's picture