An early look at the Green Bay Packers 2022 draft needs

Aaron chats with CHTV NFL Draft writer Joseph Randolph about the Packers draft needs heading into 2022 and who he'll have his eye on during tonight's 97th East-West Shrine Bowl and this weekend's Senior Bowl.

dblbogey's picture

February 03, 2022 at 03:58 pm

WR. TE. OT, ILB, OLB, DL. We have a lot of holes, let's fill them with some choice picks from the Aaron and Devante trades.

February 03, 2022 at 04:22 pm

I would have Franchised Adams in a heart Beat. But the 30 mil. asking price done me in. So Burks WR is my Choice. What will Gutey do. Take Green Guard. Next he'll try to go WR. But Tolbert, Bell and Pierce will be gone. So Perrion Winfrey DL is my choice and Jalen Pitre S are next. But they'll be more then likely gone too. The thing with the WRs. Small schools play zone. They have trouble getting off the Line. So I'm taking a Ot in the 3rd. Because Otto Ogb onnia DT UCLA won't be there.

dblbogey's picture

February 04, 2022 at 04:17 pm

I'm reluctant to draft anyone named Burks again.

BirdDogUni's picture

February 03, 2022 at 06:27 pm

Green Bay Packers

28. Treylon Burks WR, Arkansas

59. Trey McBride TE, Colorado State

92. Abraham Lucas OT, Washington State

128. David Anenih LB, Houston

137. Brian Robinson Jr. RB, Alabama

169. Eyioma Uwazurike IDL, Iowa State

224. Danny Gray WR, SMU

245. Smoke Monday S, Auburn

255. Jeremiah Moon EDGE, Florida

*Gutey won't do this though, because he has to out-think himself and waste 4th round picks trading up... ; P

The Draft Network Draft Simulator

247: R7 P28 WR Calvin Austin III - Memphis

BirdDogUni's picture

February 03, 2022 at 07:25 pm

Thornton from Baylor just had a wicked catch in the Shrine Bowl! SMH

Festvangelist's picture

February 04, 2022 at 08:48 am

Regarding Draft Picks. This is just considering options. Is it feasible to trade Aaron to Denver for #9, #40 &
2023 #1? Then if we Franchise Tag Davonte is it possible to trade him for a 2022 #1 ? Green Bay is way over the cap and keeping Davonte seems to be a stretch. Whether Aaron can be traded is yet to be determined but with multiple #1st Rounders this year and in 2023 this could be a fast start to rebuild. My priorities in the Draft always depend on who is available but with said I would like to select a DT, OT, WR, Edge LB,TE.
After Aaron decides his future with Green Bay it will be a bit easier to project how the Draft Might unfold.

Coldworld's picture

February 04, 2022 at 09:04 am

Some interesting players in the various suggestions. For me though, at this point, too much depends on what happens between now and the draft.

If we keep Rodgers and Adams, it’s likely need all the way as we will have few alternatives to find bodies other than UDFA and bargain free agency (probably mostly in the summer. Who is released and who is resigned/renegotiated plays heavily into the priority.

If we do let Rodgers go and don’t retain Adams, we may have more picks. We also have a shot at Campbell and Douglas. That changes the equation to favor early WR. I would like to see another OLB and ILB early as well as a TE. We do need to add a genuine S as our depth is non existent. I think we need a T and G for depth if things shake out as I expect, but may look to add via FA at a reasonable price.

I would love to see us use any high first rounder on a WR and I do think we restock WRs later. That likely requires a top half pick to be close enough as I look at things. I wouldn’t be shocked to see us draft s high ceiling QB prospect in the mid rounds.

If we did get a pick in the 8 to 15 range, who would you draftniks take?

BirdDogUni's picture

February 04, 2022 at 08:13 pm

If we trade Rodgers to Denver for #9 overall and #40 Overall I'd be in a damn good mood...

I have no idea what Gutey's strategy would be, but I know what mine would be...

At #9 I'd take Devin Lloyd or Jordan Davis or DeMarvin Leal... (It's too early to know who'll be worth it and who'll be available), but that #9 pick ought to go to strengthen our defense, unless some WR goes out and runs a 4.20 and can catch! : )

Then at #28 overall, I would draft the best WR available. Dotson, London, Wilson... Like I said, the rankings will get sorted out quite a bit between now and Draft Day, so we'll have a better idea who might be there and who we truly want.

Then at #40 Overall I would take the #43 rated player (according to The Draft Network), the best TE in the draft, Trey McBride or Jalen Wydermyer or whoever Gutey thinks is the best TE...

(If Gutey were to go against his grain and draft a WR at 9, he might draft Devonte Wyatt at 40)

At 59, I'd take Skyy Moore, or Darrian Beavers, or Kignsley Enagbare... Obviously the possibilities are endless, and Gutey can go OL or CB or wherever he sees the value, but I would draft two WRs in our first 4 picks if we had 9, 28, 40, and 59... ; )

I'm not really a draftnik, but I do love my Mocks... ; )

BirdDogUni's picture

February 04, 2022 at 10:21 pm

Something like this if we were to trade with Denver would be nice enough for me... (Give or take a few picks...)

9. Travon Walker Edge/DE, Georgia 6' 5" 275 LBS (Versatile)

28. Jahan Dotson WR, Penn State 5' 11" 184 LBS (Big Play Threat)

40. Daniel Faalele OT, Minnesota 6' 8" 380 LBS (Starting Right Tackle)

59. Trey McBride TE, Colorado State 6' 4" 260 LBS (Top Flite TE)

92. Jalen Tolbert WR, South Alabama 6' 3" 190 LBS (Hands Catcher/Good Blocker)

130. Hassan Haskins RB, Michigan 6' 1" 220 LBS (Powerful/Good Protector)

139. Thayer Munford IOL, Ohio State 6' 6" 320 LBS (Guard)

170. Kyler McMichael CB, North Carolina 6' 0" 205 LBS (Long/Physical Corner)

225. Deangelo Malone EDGE, Western Kentucky 6' 4" 250 LBS (3-4 OLBer)

246. Jeremiah Moon EDGE, Florida 6' 6" 250 LBS (Sub-Rusher/STs)

The Draft Network Simulator

February 05, 2022 at 12:28 am

@29 DeMarvin Leal DL Heard Packers scouts Love him. @62 Perrrion Winfrey DL OKL. @85 Alex Pierce Wr Cinn @142 Kyle Philips Wr @173 Tyler Goodson RB Iowa Without trades.

February 04, 2022 at 09:13 am

Pass catchers should be at/near the top of the list...and likely more than one. Would love a dual threat TE--and often those guys develop out of mid-round picks. After that, all 3 levels of the defense will need help, but big guys who can play 3 downs are hard to find. I'd expect day 1 and 2 of the draft to populate that way.

IllinoisPackerFan's picture

February 04, 2022 at 10:12 am

First round - Draft another QB!

dblbogey's picture

February 04, 2022 at 04:16 pm

I'd consider taking one, but considering Gute liked Hundley and DeShone Kizer and Love, I question their QB evaluating skills.

KnockTheSnotOutOfYou's picture

February 05, 2022 at 12:24 pm

The following is assuming offseason trade most likely with Denver and the Pack playing without Rodgers and Adam's.

The Packers likely are going to want a few current players on the Broncos roster right now to go with draft picks. These are the 4 players that would be difference makers for the Packers. Noah Fant, Bradley Chubb, Courtland, and Jerry Jeudy.

Out of all them Noah Fant is by far the prize in my mind who would have the best impact on the GBP's. If lucky the Pack can get 2 of the 4 players. The Broncos have an abundance of WR's, so wouldn't be surprised by either Jeudy or Courtland.

In the 2022 draft the Packers likely to have two 1st rounders, 2 second rounders, and possibly two 3rd rounders. No idea if there is a Denver 1st rounder in 2023 or not.

Therefore, with Fant and a WR (Jeudy or Courtland) I'd draft the following in 2022:

1st round two selections: best value in either Edge rusher, DL, or OT.
2nd round two selections: repeat 1st round and include WR. If Fant not included include TE.
3rd round with 'possible' two selections: repeat round 1 and 2

Cannot have enough quality big bodies on offense and defense. Resign MVS, and ESB on the cheap and actually utilize them to be contributors! 2022 team would be pretty damn competitive!