Aaron Rodgers Is Gonna Be Just Fine This Year

The demise of Aaron Rodgers has been greatly exaggerated this offseason.

There's a lot of talk about Aaron Rodgers declining without Davante Adams.

Don't buy it.

Yes, we've all heard about how the Packers are undefeated under Matt LaFleur when Davante Adams has been out. Yes, you've also noticed that Aaron Rodgers's numbers have dipped a bit in those games.

Don't get caught up in all the stats and minutia. Step back and look at the big picture.

For starters, this roster isn't suddenly hopeless now that Adams is gone.

Without Adams, the Packers receiving corps is gonna be just fine (in fact, there's even a pretty strong case that Adams leaving may even help the Packers offense). Sure, they lost the best wide receiver in the game, but you know what? They lost in the playoffs to a team that didn't have the best receiver in the game, just like they did last year, and the year before.

Aaron Rodgers is still Aaron Rodgers.

Pull up a highlight film from last year and watch the crazy throws he threads between multiple defenders to hit guys lie Randall Cobb, Allen Lazard, and MVS. He doesn't need Davante Adams to be good. Having Davante Adams as a go-to receiver may have actually given him tunnel vision and made him predictable.

The last time the Packers had the best receiver in the league was when they had Sterling Sharpe in 1994.

Do you know what happened in when he left in 1995? Brett Favre had his best season in his long and illustrious career as a Packer.

Favre broke out of that and Rodgers will, too.

Rodgers has, like Favre had, the benefit of maybe the best offensive mind in the game, capable of scheming players open in a variety of ways,

Just look at what Rodgers has done after getting over his first year learning curve in Matt LaFleur's offense: he led the NFL in touchdown percentage, interception percentage, quarterback rating, QBR, and adjusted net yards per attempt in both 2020 and 2021, plus he had more passing touchdowns than anyone over that span, and led the league with a blistering 70.7 completion percentage in 2020.

Look, I'm not a big stats guy, but those numbers tell you that Aaron Rodgers is a man on fire, and if you watched any football over the last two years, you know that his game film backs that up. He isn't a product of the system, either, he did this before LaFleur - but he is thriving in this system.

With a lot of talented young receivers to go with some respected vets and new options emerging for passing to backs and ends, Matt LaFleur will not be hurting for receiving options to scheme open.

Rodgers turns 39 this year, but (regardless of what you think of health habits) he has played 16 games in each of the last 7 of the last 8 seasons. The game is changing to prolong quarterback careers and his film from last year showed no sign of physical decline..

He's been a staying healthy. He has talented receiving options, even with Adams gone. He plays for a great offensive coach. He's on the hottest streak of his career.

There is absolutely no reason to worry about how good Aaron Rodgers will play this year,

PLEASE SUBSCRIBE TO OUR CHEESEHEAD NATION WEEKLY NEWSLETTER HERE.

__________________________

Bruce Irons has played, coached, and studied football for decades. Best-selling author of books such as A Fan's Guide To Understanding The NFL Draft, A Fan's Guide To Understanding The NFL Salary Cap, and A Fan's Guide To NFL Free Agency Hits And Misses, Bruce contributes to CheeseHeadTV and PackersForTheWin.com.

Follow Bruce Irons on Twitter at @BruceIronsNFL.

__________________________

NickPerry's picture

July 24, 2022 at 07:27 am

"Both great quarterbacks locked on to their great receivers, limiting themselves and the offense."

I think all you have to look at in the last two playoff losses is EXACTLY that. Well that and ST last season. BUT, at the end of the game last season where and who does Rodgers go? He threw into triple coverage to Adams. Now I'm no rocket scientist but if one of your WR is tripled covered, basic math tells me SOMEONE is running wide open which we all know is true.

The year before, 1st and goal from the TB 8, and Rodgers throws 3 straight passes to Adams. There was even the one play where Rodgers could have run and IMO snuck into the right corner of the endzone. He HAD the room and even if he doesn't make it he's at the one-yard line at least.

The point is Rodgers has in a way limited the Packer's offense the last two years. In those 7 games without Adams that we hear about over and over Rodgers did perform well. Hell, against Arizona last season he had NO ONE. Adams, Lazard, and MVS were all out and Tonyon was injured in that game as well. The Packers didn't stop throwing the ball nor did Rodgers stop being effective.

Losing Adams hurts, NO doubt about it. But instead of focusing on losing Adams, the Packers were able to obtain, Quay Walker, Davante Wyatt, and Christian Watson. The Packers lost arguably the best WR in the NFL and they will miss him...At times, but it's not the death sentence Bill Barnwell or others in the media have said it was with their "Click Bait" articles. Rodgers is going to spread it around. To who is the only question.

murf7777's picture

July 24, 2022 at 07:52 am

Well said Nick, I totally agree with your thoughts. I’ll add that I’ll bet anyone a 6-pack of your beer of choice that this Offense will score more points than last year.

Adams is and was great, but as you pointed out, it limited our offense at times.

Todd's picture

July 24, 2022 at 08:14 am

Good points, Nick. Losing Adams hurts, but Rodgers locking in on him to the detriment of other possibilities was also a problem.

10ve 💚's picture

July 24, 2022 at 12:36 pm

NickPerry, your comments are always so good, I up-vote even before reading it. You did not disappoint!

mrtundra's picture

July 24, 2022 at 07:56 am

I have no worries about Aaron Rodgers' level of play. Especially if our OL can keep protecting him. Will Bakhtiari be back to full strength, anytime soon, for this season? Bakh's play at LT is crucial to Rodgers success. Although Yosh Nijman played admirably there, in Bakh's absence, I think we need Bakh ready to go at LT, sooner than later. I am not worried about the rest of the OL. The RT, RG spots will be sorted out in camp, from the depth we now have there and once Elgton returns from his injury, we will have a top rated OL, once again. Then, Rodgers can return to his great play and lead this team to a Championship.

Fubared's picture

July 24, 2022 at 08:24 am

First he gets paid no matter what. Second if the receiving core sucks he can blame a host of people on the Staff and still get paid. If he gets sacked a lot he can blame a host of people on the coaching staff and the GM.
Thus nothing bad is on him. He has the ability to throw the ball out of bounds and avoid interceptions that drive him out of his freekin mind all game long.
Could be a long season for him and the fans. If LeFleur thinks running the ball will save them, good luck with that. Running the ball only worked with Adams.

Lphill's picture

July 24, 2022 at 02:38 pm

Could be worse we could have Kirk Cousins .

LLCHESTY's picture

July 24, 2022 at 06:36 pm

That's why he's over here. He's a Vikings fan that has abandoned all hope and became a troll.

Guam's picture

July 24, 2022 at 08:24 am

I think it was Phil Simms who said "QBs die on the inside before they die on the outside", by which he meant that QBs burnout on the weekly intensive game study and preparation before they lose their physical tools. That paradigm is starting to change as more QBs play until their physical skills decline (P. Manning, Brees, Rothlisberger), but I think Simms is largely correct - burnout is a bigger issue for QBs than physical decline.

I am not worried about Rodgers physical abilities as he appears to do an excellent job of taking care of himself. And two consecutive league MVPs say he is not burned out. However I suspect that it will be the mental side of the game that forces Rodgers to retire before the physical side gets him. The fact that he has openly discussed retirement on a couple of occasions tells me he is aware of his mental state and the burnout issue. Hopefully he can lead the Packers to a couple of Super Bowl victories before he hangs it up, but the clock is ticking.

Rarescope's picture

July 25, 2022 at 03:25 pm

That's an interesting comment Guam. I look back at his somewhat brief failed engagement as evidence that he is in no way ready to hang anything up any time soon. I think he just likes to play the philosopher QB, beautiful mystery etc. We're all just along for the ride of life in a lot of areas, most people just don't talk about it that way, preferring to live in the delusion that they actually have control over anything that matters. Oh boy, here I go getting all philosophical myself :D

Vforrest's picture

July 24, 2022 at 09:36 am

Overrated…Luxury…hmmm.

If you believe they pay the most for those that are the most important, WR’s are the next highest paid after QB.

The national talking heads like Cowherd have rated the “weapons” the Pack has at 30 just ahead of like Jacksonville. Vikings win the north they say because they have the best weapons. Their lack of logic defies me. Do the WR’s throw it to themselves? They are totally dependent on the QB like Cousins?

Do they think AR is going to drop back and take sack after sack because you know, where’s DA? He’s going to throw it somewhere, trust or no trust, no steps separation or two steps, he’s throwing it and who’s more accurate than this guy?

The thing the talking heads say is he doesn’t let it rip in the playoffs he becomes something else, and we’re at the point it’s hard to push back. AR is MVP talent and becomes JAG in the playoffs is hard to debate…big playoff year for AR. Another first game loss and that label becomes permanent in his legacy label.

The term clutch is always used on the best. You either make the play in the moment or you don’t. I can’t get the SF play with the game on the line out of my mind…throws it deep to DA double teamed and Lazard’s 25 yards deep wide open across the middle. I think he’s still running.

I think AR gets another chance this year and fairly or not he’s going to earn a legacy label with another Super Bowl win and shut everyone up…or he’s forever becomes, playoff JAG.

Johnblood27's picture

July 24, 2022 at 09:48 am

run with it Forrest, run!

I cant say if you nailed the outcome of the season, but you certainly nailed AR's motivation for the season.

Last season was "the last dance" and getting DA his huge payday... mission accomplished.

This season AR better take care of his own future, and I am certain that 'choker' isn't what he wants on his HOF bust.

murf7777's picture

July 24, 2022 at 09:50 am

Good points and I don’t believe the highest paid are most important. Of course, nobody can argue with the QB being number 1. The WR position is over rated and shouldn’t be #2. It’s an anomaly right now that GM’s are going crazy with the position. Things are cyclical and I think it will change over time and positions like LT, EDGE and CB will take over highest paid over WR.

Adams hit a grand slam with his contract, good for him.

TarynsEyes's picture

July 24, 2022 at 10:13 am

"The national talking heads like Cowherd have rated the “weapons” the Pack has at 30 just ahead of like Jacksonville. Vikings win the north they say because they have the best weapons. Their lack of logic defies me."

It isn't a lack of logic, it's simply using the same metric or stats that many here use to say the Packers have the best weapons when the stats were used to argue such beliefs. Now, the Packers' WR group doesn't have the stats used to rate/ rank them as a top unit, the media logic is wrong by its use and application of those same stats/metrics.

Based on the WR group, at the moment on paper at least, this group isn't very good and has to show it game to game to change its perception. Just because Packer fans disagree with the talking heads of the media, doesn't make your view of what hasn't been proved yet, right.

It's a somewhat justifiable analysis by the media, though maybe 30 is a tad too low, but certainly no higher than 24, and might be raised if they had any idea who the next favorite WR will become the next 'apple of Rodgers' eye' becomes clear.

Coldworld's picture

July 24, 2022 at 11:53 am

I agree. The talking heads take the easy route, past performance. The stats for Cobb, Watkins and Lazard over the last 3 years, taken in isolation, do not justify optimism at all. I happen to think that the truth is somewhere in between as to WRs, but there’s no actual proof Watkins will stay healthy, Lazard can be a true 1 or 2 and statistically one in three WR draftees succeed in having a good career.

To win this year we need to beat the odds on both counts and be a whole lot better at getting youngsters on the field effectively early and using skill players to their strengths. That’s not something pundits will run with. It’s not something obviously going to come to pass. I think it can, but only if LaFleur takes a jump and Rodgers accepts change. I think so because I really like our skill player additions and our D and I trust RB on ST, but that’s a whole lot of faith that, as yet lacks any empirical support.

10ve 💚's picture

July 24, 2022 at 12:45 pm

OK, I know there is a lot Vforrest has mentioned here.

But can someone tell me what is meant by JAG? I'm not an acronym person

(I googled and got answers that obviously do not fit here)

Somedumbname's picture

July 24, 2022 at 01:39 pm

JAG = just another guy

Somedumbname's picture

July 24, 2022 at 01:39 pm

JAG = just another guy

Christian Roussel's picture

July 24, 2022 at 09:53 am

If Aaron performances decline it will have more to do with 69 than 17 in my opinion . But yes he will probably be just fine.

Swisch's picture

July 24, 2022 at 09:58 am

It's worth reminding ourselves that there's so much more to being a great quarterback than spectacular passes.
I'm not much concerned about the physical talent of Aaron Rodgers, but his humility and coachability.
One thing I'm hoping from him is to never correct any of our wide receivers in a public display on the field, but to do so discreetly on the sidelines.
***
In closing, I would like to emphasize that I would be delighted if Rodgers grows as a team player this season.
Few things would give me greater happiness, because I've invested myself in him as a huge fan since the beginning of his career, and have always rooted for him even as he seems to have declined into an arrogance that makes him more and more remote.
Not only would an adjustment in attitude from our field leader be the best way to put the Packers over the top for a title, it would set the stage for Rodgers to retire as a Packer with fans not only marveling at his immense skills, but giving him a special place in our hearts for decades to come.

Johnblood27's picture

July 24, 2022 at 04:32 pm

Hey look Swischy, I'm as big of a Blu Earth guy as there is out there, but leopards just do not change their spots...

Swisch's picture

July 24, 2022 at 06:43 pm

I recently watched, "Father Stu," a true story of an unlikely redemption brought to the screen by Mark Wahlberg.
Just as I hope no one ever gives up on me, I make it a point to never give up on anyone. With God, all things are possible.

Johnblood27's picture

July 25, 2022 at 04:16 pm

I used to have a pet rabbit... I named him Stew... last name Pid...

just sayin...

I miss Stewie.

Coldworld's picture

July 24, 2022 at 10:13 am

At Rodgers’ age, a decline is always possible, but I don’t see any particular physical signs. The more relevant question is likely is he willing to adapt and embrace a more run led attack, more changes in personnel and more deception and to give youngsters targets through growing pains.

If Rodgers continues to stick only to the proven skill players, insists on not changing personnel so he can read defenses while the clock runs continually or balks at a higher run percentage and changes calls to passes then we will likely struggle.

If, on the other hand, Rodgers adapts, spreads the ball and continues to do so through rookie errors and we see the system we understand LaFleur to have brought, then I see no reason to assume or fear decline, in fact I see us as likely to be more able to adjust to beat better teams if the coaches can harness rookie talents wisely.

It’s very much up to LaFleur and Rodgers to adapt attitudinally. If that occurs, we have the pieces to be an effective offense and our D is likely to be at least one of our best in a decade. I expect STs to no longer be a liability. We should therefore have the pieces to make it work without being undermined in other phases.

We should not need to win by being the best O in the league by far. We just need to be able to move the ball consistently and to maintain possession. I don’t see a reason why that can not be done, if we adapt. In my view, what we will see this year is if LaFleur can really get the most out of a roster and from Rodgers.

13TimeChamps's picture

July 24, 2022 at 10:01 am

"Receivers are overrated. They are a luxury. Wide receivers do not make the quarterback."

I've always thought this to be true. While having a really good GROUP of pass catchers...WRs/RBs/TEs...is important, having a single HOF caliber WR is less important, sometimes even a detriment, considering how much you have to pay them nowadays.

Look at the best WRs of recent times...Adams, D. Hopkins, L. Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson, Julio Jones, etc. Even going back to Randy Moss. How many combined Super Bowls from that group? Compare that to New England and all their SB appearances over the past 20 years. How many HOF caliber WRs were on those teams?

TarynsEyes's picture

July 24, 2022 at 10:23 am

"What they're paying WRs now is ridiculous. $28 to $30 million a year for a player who typically touches the ball 8-10 times a game is insane. I'm so glad GB didn't fall into that trap with Adams. Let him eat up a huge, disproportionate chunk of the Raiders salary cap instead of ours."

How quickly some forget that the Packers were more than willing to pay Adams, and luckily the Raiders came to their rescue, regardless that Adams wanted to lay with Carr, the FO had a shovel in hand and willingly participated in the creation of the WR trap.

13TimeChamps's picture

July 24, 2022 at 10:58 am

"How quickly some forget that the Packers were more than willing to pay Adams, and luckily the Raiders came to their rescue"

I believe that was a PR move by the Packers FO to appease fans who wanted Adams to stay. They knew Adams wanted to go "home" and intended to sign with LV. I don't believe GB ever planned to pay Adams 30 million a year. It would have destroyed their cap.

Personally, I think GB played it perfectly. They tagged Adams and ended up with very good compensation for an unrestricted FA who could have walked away with GB getting nothing in return.

If you want to believe the spin that GB was ready to pay Adams 30 million/year, that's certainly your prerogative.

Coldworld's picture

July 24, 2022 at 12:12 pm

I think we genuinely tried to keep Adams. Personally I think the belief they could factored into Rodgers new deal. I don’t disagree with your general point on WR pay at all, but I do think that the plan was Rodgers plus Adams. LaFleur seems to have desperately wanted both.

Personally, I think that would have been foolish, but less so than Rodgers and a team built for the future. Let’s see if LaFleur can coach us through it. I think Gute’s got us to a position that is better than I expected pre draft. Let’s see if LaFleur can deliver.

10ve 💚's picture

July 24, 2022 at 12:58 pm

Champ, I am of the exact same opinion as you. Packers FO played it perfectly!

LLCHESTY's picture

July 24, 2022 at 08:39 pm

Adams said the Packers offered more but I guess everybody could be lying.

murf7777's picture

July 24, 2022 at 05:53 pm

I agree taryn and am happy the raiders saved them from spending that amount. We will have a more well rounded team without him. And a better defense which we need if we will ever see the SB.

croatpackfan's picture

July 24, 2022 at 10:03 am

Bruce, I'm not worried about regular season appearance. I'm worried about postseason.

I'm pretty confident Packers will be in the play-offs. Much improved D, lot of young talent on the O, better ST. Yes, some games will be bumpy, but that is OK. Barring rush of injuries, I can see Packers from 11-5 to 13-4 or even 14-3.

But than things stale. Suddenly MVP have, not pedestrian, but ugly stats and those stats are not because of others. I'm afraid that is the moment where the problem lies. I do not know for certain which problem, but almost 100% sure source is Packers QB. I hope this season he will prove me wrong.

Johnblood27's picture

July 24, 2022 at 04:37 pm

Croat - Im certainly no Rodgers sycophant, however let's not bury his abilities on the football field until he actually shows that he has deteriorated.

That hasn't happened yet, and since GB is 'stuck' with him I hope he performs up to past standards.

ReaganRulz's picture

July 24, 2022 at 10:13 am

I totally respect that some people don’t like how Rodger’s carries himself. Living in Chicagoland, he drives the Bear fans absolutely bonkers and for that….PRICELESS.

I do hope his attitude adjustment comes in how he is a little more patient with the young-ins. We all know that historically, he gives little room for error and something that we cannot afford this year with so many young and first year Packer receivers.

I guess my final ask is for Rodgers to not throw the ball away so much. You know when he runs out of the pocket and basically throws the ball out of bounds. It seems like he does this waaaay more often than others good QBs. It just appears that he gives up too easily too often. Maybe I’m crazy, but just my perception.

Here’s too a healthy training camp for everyone!!

TarynsEyes's picture

July 24, 2022 at 10:28 am

"I guess my final ask is for Rodgers to not throw the ball away so much. You know when he runs out of the pocket and basically throws the ball out of bounds. It seems like he does this waaaay more often than other good QBs. It just appears that he gives up too easily too often. Maybe I’m crazy, but just my perception."

'INT-phobia' has its merits.

Johnblood27's picture

July 24, 2022 at 04:40 pm

Reagan - since you are from Chicagoland I will cut you some slack, but having married into a Tennessee family in the past the term is younguns, not young-ins...

...and don't forget to order the grits!

just sayin...

splitpea1's picture

July 24, 2022 at 11:22 am

Receivers are "overrated"? Every position group is important, and every team has different levels of talent among them. It's up to the coaching staff to exploit that talent, wherever it may lie, to give their teams the best chance of winning.

I doubt the Rams win the Super Bowl without Cooper Kupp, and doubt the Bengals get to the Super Bowl without Ja'Marr Chase.

TarynsEyes's picture

July 24, 2022 at 12:09 pm

"The Packers may not have any current Pro Bowl receivers (with the exception of Cobb from many years ago) on their roster right now, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be rooting for them to achieve that status at some point, whether it's with Rodgers or someone else at the helm."

Nobody is saying not to root for them. Just keep it to a realistic value until their play changes that value based on actual performance and not unverified hype. College play/stats affords the hope, but their stats do not carry over into the NFL stat sheet and why the Packers WR group has been rated low.

10ve 💚's picture

July 24, 2022 at 01:06 pm

"Nobody is saying not to root for them. Just keep it to a realistic value until their play changes that value based on actual performance and not unverified hype".

TarynsEyes, the above is exactly what you should be applying to yourself.

You very often do make a lot of sense. But then you spoil it by over-doing your vitriole. You go so far out of your way to trash anything and everything, that you put off most people.

Tone it down, and you will see a surprisingly large number of persons up-voting you! Trash some, praise some... 😊

TarynsEyes's picture

July 24, 2022 at 01:22 pm

I do apply this to myself, as it's reality-based and any vitriol you accuse me of adding is always in response to vitriol at me. The vast majority of downvotes are 1) the refusal to accept anything outside the blin-optimism take, 2) clique-based support for the comments made by those in #1.

Leatherhead's picture

July 24, 2022 at 11:38 am

I have friends that are fans of other teams, and when I ask them about their prospects for the season, they’re all hoping their QB can get it done. Truly, it’s easier to be optimistic about Rodgers than Murray or Prescott or Fields or Cousins or……….

TarynsEyes's picture

July 24, 2022 at 11:57 am

What do the fans say about Allen, Burrow, Herbert, Mahomes, Stafford, and Brady? Naturally, fans of yearly poor play teams question the ability of their QBs to get them out from under the garbage can, and by ignoring those I mention, you offer up Rodgers as the only QB worth optimism, or perhaps absolute.

Leatherhead's picture

July 24, 2022 at 01:14 pm

They’re pretty optimistic, as you’d expect. My point, Taryn, is that the Packers are in a better position at QB than most teams.

TarynsEyes's picture

July 24, 2022 at 01:34 pm

This is a moot point since nearly 2/3 or more of the league is in that situation in any given year, and where GB will more than likely find themselves in the not-to-distant future.

Although this season and going forward, possibly, we could see an expansion of the maximum Top 5 elite QBs with Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Herbert, Rodgers, Stafford ( as he may prove again it was Detroit and not him), Carr ( if Adams and McDaniels succeed), possibly Jackson and Murry, though I'm not convinced they'll last, and even Lawrence ( though he may suffer the faith of Stafford in Detroit).

Leatherhead's picture

July 24, 2022 at 01:49 pm

Being well set at the QB position is a moot point? I can’t agree with that.

I also disagree with your prediction for our future QB.

TarynsEyes's picture

July 24, 2022 at 02:11 pm

I never said being well set at QB is a moot point, I said having a QB like Rodgers and a few others will always have the fan who has them looking at the doubt other fans may speak to about theirs. Your take simply makes you feel superior to other fans because you know the answer before it is even asked, especially with those you made a point to ask. As for our future QB, you can disagree all you need to, but the reality is at the moment, he offers no better feeling than the others you asked about until proven otherwise.

10ve 💚's picture

July 24, 2022 at 01:34 pm

Nobody questions Brady.

I would say hold off on Stafford for a couple of years.

Mahomes is fine I guess, he has had bad stretches, but mostly great play.

Let's not anoint Allen, Burrow and Herbert just yet.

OWarrior's picture

July 24, 2022 at 11:56 am

Many feel that Aaron chose to have tunnel vision with Davante. I think that he was, basically, forced to focus on Davante - because he was the only receiver that Aaron could count on to get open. The packer wide receivers (other than Davante) were poor route-runners. Hopefully, at least two of the new guys are good enough route-runners to give Aaron multiple targets this season.

TarynsEyes's picture

July 24, 2022 at 12:55 pm

I don't agree with the bad route running as a reason/excuse for Rodgers's tunnel vision of Adams, as there are obstacles that prevent the route to be run perfectly. No, I think it is more so that the other WRs were more easily covered, and Rodgers felt more secure with Adams's hands though double-teamed than the others with tight single coverage, and that doesn't speak well to the expected stepping up from the veteran WRs on hand, and Lazard being expected to make the biggest step up.

10ve 💚's picture

July 24, 2022 at 12:19 pm

"Rodgers turns 39 this year, but (regardless of what you think of health habits) he has played 16 games in each of the last 7 of the last 8 seasons"

Bruce Irons, your above statement makes it seem like his health habits are bad!

On the contrary, his health habits are supremely good. Just because he is more into what some call "alternative medicine", does not make it bad. Do you realize that those "alternative medicine" stuff is actually "original medicine"? The only mistake those alternative medicine practicioners did was that they did not make it a business to become rich. So they don't have the money for advertising and bribery (sorry, we call it lobbying).

Allopathic medicine is a business to make people rich. Allopathic medicine generates perpetual income because they get repeat customers. How to you get repeat customers? Do not fix the illness. NEVER fix the root cause. Instead, mask the pain, and make the customers dependent upon the medicines for a pain free life.

Allopathic medicine destroys bad cells, but it destroys even more good cells. The net result is that the customer (sorry, I cannot say patient) is worse off than before.

Is it wrong for Rodgers to want to fix the root cause instead of the symptom?

(OK, now I am ducking the brick-bats slung my way, so even if you throw one, rest assured that it misses me 😜😜😜)

Bure9620's picture

July 24, 2022 at 01:06 pm

Receivers are indeed a luxury and overated, particularly for a verteran QB, you prioritize protection. Bahktiari and Jenkins on PUP is quite concerning, those 2 need to be healthy for this team to go where they want to go. The last two playoff loses were not due to defense or recievers not getting open...we lost due to consistent QB pressure and and inability to get into offensive rythym.

croatpackfan's picture

July 26, 2022 at 05:43 am

aaaaah, again excuses...

Lphill's picture

July 24, 2022 at 02:44 pm

Watkins is going to prove to be a great signing the Packers offense won’t miss a beat without Adams .

Coldworld's picture

July 24, 2022 at 05:58 pm

Good signing, yes, especially if he can stay healthy all or most of the season. Adams level? No. He has never approached that level.

This offense improves by being less predictable and using players to their strengths. If LaFleur can really make his system work and Rodgers play to it, then it can actually be better than one that was so predictable and wasted yards and downs consistently.

We went away from the usage of players, formations and personnel and we’re worse than 2020 in 2021. That was a regression that required an Adams. Can LaFleur reverse it and more now the roster demands it?

GregC's picture

July 24, 2022 at 05:05 pm

I agree that losing Adams may improve the offense by forcing Rodgers to spread the ball around more. I'm not sure that's the most likely outcome, however. The top three WRs right now include two injury-prone players who are on the downside of their career, plus Lazard, who is in his prime but has some injury issues as well. After those guys, we've got a couple of rookies and probably Juwan Winfree. The TEs are unimpressive, and the OL is in flux. The offense may be in a bit of disarray to start the season, and it may be hard for them to get on track. This could cause Rodgers to get frustrated and get into bad habits, as he did during the last couple years of the McCarthy era. Rodgers has been very good the past two seasons, but before that he had two seasons that were not very impressive. His play may decline if the rest of the offense declines, as it would for any QB.

Since'61's picture

July 24, 2022 at 07:14 pm

I have posted for years here that Rodgers is the last player on the Packers roster that we need to worry about. As long as he is health he will be fine. His last 2 consecutive MVPs prove the point.

On another thread earlier this week I posted that Rodgers evolved in the MM offense. MMs passing game was dependent on the receivers winning their one on one matchups. Rodgers looks for the best matchup at the LOS on every play. For the last few seasons Davante has been the matchup for the Packers. Hence "Davante vision".

In 2022 I expect Rodgers to throw to his RBs more often and give them the opportunity to make a play behind the blocking of Lazard and Watkins. As the season progresses with the new WRs he will learn who can win their matchups consistently. If the OL is effective the run game will produce numerous opportunities off of play action. Rodgers will be fine and as I have also previously posted if the other 52 players play their position as well as Rodgers plays QB the Packers would be undefeated SB champions. Thanks, Since '61

Lphill's picture

July 25, 2022 at 05:34 am

You are correct Al but sometimes I get the impression here some are rooting against Rodgers so they can have their “ I told you so moment” .

Since'61's picture

July 25, 2022 at 11:46 am

You are correct Lphill. There will be some Rodgers haters but part of that is because they have accepted the media propaganda that the QB is the only reason why a team wins or loses a game or wins or loses in the playoffs.

This is a myth which the media has pushed on the fans since the 80s and began with Joe Montana. It's easier for the media to narrow the game down to one position rather than take the time to explain the game through all of its positions and the nuances of each position which affect the outcome of a game. It enables fan retention which is the means to achieving their ratings goals.

The reality is that QB play is often the product of OL play, coaching and abilities of the other skill players.

Rodgers has played at a HOF level with makeshift OLs, receivers at every skill level, questionable RBs until the last few seasons and he has played through injuries. His ability to throw with deadly accuracy on the run has been the most significant evolution of the QB position since Johnny Unitas created the modern QB position. For all of these reasons and others as long as Rodgers is healthy he will be fine again in 2022. Thanks, Since '61

barutanseijin's picture

July 27, 2022 at 08:05 am

It all hinges on the offensive line. When will Jenkins and Bakhtiari return? Will they be able to play at the level they were at before their injuries? Do the Packers have an adequate right tackle? Enough capable backups?

Rodgers will not have a good year if he faces pressure like he did in New Orleans or against SF. Neither will the running backs. And if the offense is going 3 and out all the time, the defense isn’t going to hold.