45-Man Gameday Roster Prediction Vs. Redskins

Nick Barnett, Brandon Chillar, Sam Shields and Quinn Johnson have all been ruled out of this weekend's game against the Washington Redskins.

Below is the Packers entire roster. Players in bold text are those I predict to be inactive on Sunday against the Washington Redskins:

• QB: Aaron Rodgers, Matt Flynn
  • RB: Brandon Jackson, Dimitri Nance
  • FB: Korey Hall, John Kuhn, Quinn Johnson
  • WR: Greg Jennings, Donald Driver, James Jones, Jordy Nelson, Brett Swain
  • TE: Jermichael Finley, Donald Lee, Tom Crabtree, Andrew Quarless
  • OL: Chad Clifton, Mark Tauscher, Daryn Colledge, Josh Sitton, Scott Wells, Bryan Bulaga, Jason Spitz, T.J. Lang, Nick McDonald, Marshall Newhouse
  • DL: Cullen Jenkins, B.J. Raji, Ryan Pickett, Mike Neal, C.J. Wilson, Jarius Wynn
  • ILB: Nick Barnett, A.J. Hawk, Brandon Chillar, Desmond Bishop, Maurice Simpkins
  • OLB: Clay Matthews, Brad Jones, Brady Poppinga, Frank Zombo
  • CB: Charles Woodson, Tramon Williams, Jarrett Bush, Sam Shields, Pat Lee, Brandon Underwood
  • S: Nick Collins, Derrick Martin, Charlie Peprah
  • ST: Mason Crosby, Brett Goode, Tim Masthay

Notes:

• Pretty cut and dry this week with Nick Barnett, Brandon Chillar, Sam Shields and Quinn Johnson all being ruled out of this week's game already.
  • Mark Tauscher is listed as doubtful, pretty much meaning there's almost no chance he'll start either. That opens the door for T.J. Lang being active for the first time this season.
  • However, Marshall Newhouse and Nick McDonald will still be inactive unless something unforeseen happens between now and Sunday.
  • With Chillar and Barnett both out, rookie linebacker Maurice Simpkins should get his first NFL action. He'll probably only play on defense if A.J. Hawk or Desmond Bishop get hurt, but he may have a role on special teams.
  • You've got to imagine Hawk and Bishop won't have much of a role on special teams this week because the team is so thin at inside linebacker, they can't afford to risk injury.

hyperRevue's picture

October 08, 2010 at 01:38 pm

"You've got to imagine Hawk and Bishop won't have much of a role on special teams this week because the team is so thin at inside linebacker, they can't afford to risk injury."

Yet Tramon Williams continues to return punts. Unexceptionally, too, I might add.

Chad's picture

October 08, 2010 at 02:35 pm

And who would you pick to do it more "exceptionally" from that team?

From what I've seen, Williams hasn't yet muffed a punt. If you want a return specialist, then be willing to sacrifice a little bit of depth and money.

hyperRevue's picture

October 08, 2010 at 02:39 pm

I feel like I've written this a dozen times on this site. haha

I don't care about someone doing it exceptionally. I care about not exposing arguably their best CB to unnecessary risk when there is no upside. Tramon's 8.8 average return isn't worth the risk.

Chad's picture

October 08, 2010 at 04:41 pm

But still... who would you trust to do it, then?

hyperRevue's picture

October 09, 2010 at 12:22 pm

I dunno, Lee, Underwood, Nance, Swain.

Lumpy Gravy's picture

October 08, 2010 at 01:43 pm

What happened with Lang that they haven't even had him active this season? I missed the preseason; was his performance that bad?

lars's picture

October 08, 2010 at 04:53 pm

Wrist surgery forced Lang to miss the OTA's and mini-camps. He fell behind and is just now catching up. That and Bulaga is flat out better, of course, and they only dress 7 OLinemen on Sundays--- Spitz and Bulaga are the back-ups.

Brian may FINALLY be right in that Lang could be activated this Sunday. He's guessed wrong the first 4 weeks. Guess he likes Lang.;)) Or, maybe MT improves and Lang wears his street closthes for the 5th straight week.

FITZCORE1252's picture

October 10, 2010 at 04:57 am

"Brian may FINALLY be right in that Lang could be activated this Sunday. He’s guessed wrong the first 4 weeks."

You're not fit to polish Brian's jock. Let's see your guesses MacGruber. If you ever decide to man-up and put yourself out there,you'll realize just how uncertain the certainties look to someone who's not looking for certain certainties!?!? (trust me, I know what I'm doing... buzzed as shiznat tho...WOOT)...

Anyhew,

Moral of this Fitztale = D-Bags that run their Wang-Suckers to people that are 'Real-American-Heroes' (That's you Brian, you SpaceGhost superhero'ish SOB, you got the best takes/updates out there, no clue how you get 'em... don't care, keep 'em coming, KUDOS)...

I'm too buzzed to finish my take above. I hope the first couple sentences drove the point home. If not, who gives a Nagler's ass?
Anyhew, just be a little more 'coolerest'(yeah, I made that a word bitch), to those who have the information you seek BYATCH (I gotta take my own advice, never noticed 'till I saw someone else be douchey.. not a good look for me ).

Me bed

GBP 4 LIFE, trick azz biznatches

38-35'

P.S. - F U

You 2

Even you

And you my son

Drunkest post eve

F off

And I WILL be proud of this.

F U

:-)

Chris Davis's picture

October 08, 2010 at 02:06 pm

Once again I write. We did nothing in the draft for an outside linebacker, Go get Shawn Merriman and make him the next Charles Woodson! Woodson was always hurt with Oakland - now he is the Defensive MVP. It can not hurt, and we could probably get him for nothing.

lebowski's picture

October 08, 2010 at 02:50 pm

I would rather have an ecstatic, hungry Maurice Simpkins than a washed up, soft Shawn Merriman.

jeremy's picture

October 08, 2010 at 03:03 pm

And also now off of the Roids that he was on when he played well.

CSS's picture

October 08, 2010 at 03:07 pm

That's been a huge red-flag from my perspective. Since coming off his suspension for performance enhancing drugs he hasn't been able to get/stay healthy or heal and ineffective when he has played. Could be a coincidence, but a big question nonetheless.

MarkinMadison's picture

October 08, 2010 at 03:10 pm

Could be, but I think we both really doubt that. Merriman may just be another Bozworth.

fish's picture

October 08, 2010 at 03:59 pm

Ya, When you attack your Adrenal gland with Roids your body stops producing it's own natural Cortisol Steroid. When you stop taking Roids suddenly (Like a threat of being tested) your Adrenal gland is now sleeping and takes forever to start producing Steroid again. Your body weakens, gets sluggish and takes longer to deal with injuries as well. (FYI..., This is also the main reason Cancer patients fail at recovering fully. There dosage needs to be reduced slowly so the Adrenal gland can catch up after coming off Prednisone and especially Dexamethazone.

lars's picture

October 08, 2010 at 04:55 pm

Once again? Stop it, or get help for your OCD. This team doesn't need Merriman (unless he's free). You may have noticed, though, that the 2 starting ILB's are out indefinately. So, maybe the team should look for additional help there? Just a thought.

davyjones's picture

October 08, 2010 at 05:49 pm

Even if he's free--forget it!! There would be the opportunity cost of getting rid of someone to make room on the roster. Free or not, he ain't worth losing any of the other 53.

DanTX's picture

October 08, 2010 at 07:49 pm

really concerned about punt coverage this week.

KurtMc's picture

October 08, 2010 at 11:43 pm

What ever happened to Rookie Quinn Porter & is that an option for the run game since TT isn't going free agent on us? When are we going to see D. Nance?

PackerAaron's picture

October 09, 2010 at 06:32 pm

Porter was picked up this week, can't remember by who.

Chris's picture

October 09, 2010 at 06:47 pm

Quinn Porter fittingly is on the Redskins roster (practice squad I think)