The 2009 draft is over and it sure had its moments. Here are my top 10 moments from the draft weekend!
10. Beer – Duh. Seriously though, the draft is a two day event, 7 hours on day one, 10 hours on day two, and you get to drink the entire time while football is discussed with friends and you’re watching the Packers improve themselves. Life just doesn’t get better than that.
9. Ted Thompson Trading Up – I’m sure I wasn’t the only one who did a spit take when they seen we were now on the clock with the 26th pick. Everyone was scrambling. Nobody seen it coming. This was like Barry Bonds laying down a bunt, it just doesn’t happen! It was awesome. We drafted CM3.
8. The Live Blog – This was an experience I won’t forget for a while. CheeseheadTV and PackersLounge got together with Railbird and we had a live blog that was just amazing. I’ve never seen so much information flying. Pictures, videos, stats, bios, and the comments by all those involved were just spectacular. We even had people in NYC AT the draft and people AT the draft party at Lambeau feeding us information live. THAT is how you handle an NFL Draft. I had a blast and for those who were there for it, I hope you did too.
7. Crabtree Crying – After Stafford was selected with the first overall pick, Michael Crabtree was of the belief that he was going to be the next player selected. During every selection from that point, he smiled big, KNOWING he was about to be selected. This continued for a couple rounds until he actually started crying. He was selected with the 10th overall pick. Suck it, crybaby.
6. Erin Andrews – She’s hot.
5. Packers Praise – After day one ended, you couldn’t find a sports program that wasn’t praising what a good job the Packers did on day one. It even carried over into day two as Green Bay hit home run after home run. Even ESPN had to admit we did great. Kiper and the experts now know what we know, our team rocks.
4. Watching NFC North Rivals Fail – Could those teams have had a worse draft? For some reason our rivals decided to get players who are malcontents, injured, or just not needed for their team. A tight end, Detroit? Really?
3. Bill Cosby – Does it get any better than seeing Bill Cosby in full uniform including a helmet almost passing out on a couch? He befriended a young man with the same last name and was there to support him. It was surreal. When his young friend still hadn’t been picked late on the second day, he told the young man “There’s always the Canadian league.” What a pal.
2. Bobby’s Sister - My podcast partner’s whole family are sports nuts but it was still a shock to see his sister pop in. For those who had to endure my terrible pickup lines, I apologize. She’s hot and I couldn’t help myself. Should make the podcasts more awkward though, so we got that going.
PS – Hey Steph, how YOU doin, hot stuff?
1. A Great Draft – Nothing makes the draft experience better than to honestly admit when it’s over that you just had one of the best drafts in 10 years. Yes, it’s early and no games have been played, but from a NEED standpoint, we plugged every hole with talented players.
- Like Like
- 0 points