There seems to be such a large amount of Ted hate going on that I needed to step back and analyze my stance. In order to do so, I had to take a look at several GM's across the league. After looking at the track record of Colt's GM Bill Polian, I have to agree that Ted Thompson still has a lot to learn.
Granted, Polian has been around slightly longer than Thompson, but clearly is considered one the better GM/Presidents in the league. His team the Indianapolis Colts are perennial playoff contenders and no one can argue one of the best teams in the NFL. To find out where Ted Thompson has failed, let's first examine Polian's successes in running the Colts.
1. He let two pro-bowl offensive leaders simply up and leave the team in favor of drafted talent. Both the newly drafted replacement players turned out to be pro-bowlers.
2. Signed a pro-bowl free-agent defensive end to a long term contract.
3. Made one of the top five record turnaround's in NFL history.
4. Took a chance and drafted a first round perennial pro-bowl and MVP candidate quarterback.
5. Has had great success with UDFA's with 3 or more currently starting on the roster.
6. Drafted two or more second round pro-bowlers.
7. Signed a free-agent in the secondary who would later become NFL Defensive Player of the Year.
8. Much to the dismay of the fans, had the intestinal fortitude to draft a receiver instead of defensive help. That receiver is now one of the best in the league.
9. Also, signed one of the best free-agent receivers in the game today.
10. Used free-agency to sign one of the top-two left tackles available.
11. Used free-agency to acquire of the top 10 right tackles available.
12. Used free-agency to sign one of the top 5 safeties in the NFL.
13. Helped mold a project tight-end into one of the best in the league.
14. Has drafted or signed 7 plus pro-bowl players.
15. Let his all time leading rusher go in favor of youth and the future.
16. Has let three or more big time free-agents walk to large contracts on other teams that did not pan out.
Quite a remarkable record, and one Ted Thompson should take a close hard look at befo... crap, I copied and pasted Thompson's tenure instead. Which coincidentally can be substituted for Polian's without an edit.
Hate on that.