Two full days of draft coverage can be a lot to take but I’ll give you some tips on how to survive it.
Most people expect the draft to be a sprint but it’s more like a marathon. Even people who just care about the first round picks get frustrated easy, parched, starved, and violent. Expect it to take 48 hours and follow some of these to get you by.
The top ten ways to survive draft weekend.
10. Beer – You know I had to start with this one. Draft weekend is long and it takes a toll on the body. You must be ready to handle the craziness that is the draft weekend. Beer helps handle anything. Besides, when Thompson starts pulling his magician-like moves that make your heart skip a beat, it’ll be good to be drunk for that.
9. Mock Mock Drafts – Odds are that after the first three picks are made, 99% of the “expert” mock drafts will be busted worse than my NCAA bracket after the first round. It’s always fun to make fun of people who dedicate their life to one thing, and fail at that one thing.
8. Mel Kiper’s Hair – How can ESPN make 48 hours of draft coverage tolerable? Mel Kiper’s hair, that’s how. It mesmerizes and hypnotizes you in it’s helmet like form. A lot of times I’ll just watch his hair after a Packers pick and before I know it, we’re picking again! Mel’s hair makes time fly, which is fitting for his 1970 hairstyle.
7. Watch the Draft – I know this one seems crazy, but you could actually just watch the draft. A lot of us will be keeping track on NFC North rivals to see how they attempt to improve their team. Will the Bears draft a wide receiver with their first pick(in the 2nd round) or will Detroit grab them up like they enjoy to do? Watching the draft can be a lot of fun, and like I said, there’s Mel Kiper’s hair!
6. Chris Berman Drinking Game – Some people lose their gusto for the draft after the Packers pick in the first round. They WANT to get into it, but the passion is gone. Well this is a way to get back into it, and get plastered! The Chris Berman drinking game! Here are the rules: Take a shot every time Chris Berman gives a player a stupid nickname. So when Berman drops gems like “Everette ‘downtown’ Brown” or “Brian ‘crushing’ Cushing” you have to take a shot. If you really want to hurt your liver, whenever they show a highlight video of a player, take a shot every time Berman does his annoying “whoooop!”
5. Film Funny Reaction Videos – Everyone has seen this video of the group of kids freaking out after the Justin Harrell video. Fortunately for them they happened to be right about Harrell. I would have much rather them look like the bafoons they are and had Harrell play well(I want every Packer to play well). Nonetheless those kids are well known in the Packer fan community. You could be next! When we draft Raji or Brown, you could break your TV or set your living room on fire! Not only will you be known in our community, you’d get to be on the news too!
4. Beer – That’s right. This is worth repeating because the draft is just so long! Stock up now!
3. Highlight Videos – I’m not a huge college football guy. I don’t know who 90% of the guys projected to get picked in the first round are. That’s why when the Packers make a selection, I’ll be hitting up youtube and probably the lounge(we’ll have it for you, don’t worry) to see who these guys are and what they can do on the field.
2. Packers Lounge – We’ll have highlight videos of these guys. We’ll have their statistics, their strengths and weaknesses and all that stuff. Also, the chatbox or tromadz lounge chatroom will be up and running, so we can all discuss what just happened. Also, as the draft wears on and our spirits dip a little, it’s good to be around friends who are feeling the same way.
1. War Room Webcam – The war room webcam is a nice mix of new technologies and creepiness. There is nothing creepier than watching 20 grown men in a small room. The problem is I can’t get enough of it. I don’t know what that says about me but it’s true. I’m glued to that webcam they post on the Packers website. “Where did Ted Thompson go?!?! Is he making a trade?!?! Ted needs more water, someone get him a water!” I love the webcam, it can at least provide comedy as some of us watch it together.
Filed Under: Featured