Packers game day! Right! Right?….
Okay, so this is probably the most difficult game to get excited about. The final preseason game. If you took all the fourth quarters from the previous games you still probably would have a more interesting game than this entire game. But nonetheless, I am not complaining. I love watching football, I love watching the Packers and I will be sitting there, watching the game until the last second ticks off.
But let’s not kid ourselves. This game will probably not be pretty. And while I can mock it all I want, and struggle (and I DO mean struggle) to find things to look for in this game, I was reminded today about how big of a day it actually is.
With almost every team playing tonight, and as the last game before final cuts, the game is crucial for bubble players. The Packers have a pretty solid core roster; there’s not a ton of spots that are up for grabs. Less than an hour ago, one of those bubble players, Davon House – a player that all of Cheesehead Radio has making the final 52 + 1 – tweeted,
Today can make me or break me. Let get it!
It’s a big reminder, this game is about people trying to make our team, and if they can’t do that, trying to make any team or practice squad.
So, in my attempts to take tonight’s game seriously, here’s my list of things to watch:
- No injuries. Against my better judgment, Rodgers will be on the field for a drive or two tonight. So starters, run around a little and then go sit down, away from sideline action (don’t want anyone running into you), play some cards, tell jokes or something. But also important on the injury front, I really hope that none of the bubble players get hurt. Nothing harder to watch than a guy fight and fight for his dream to have it ended by an ankle.
- There are soooooo many, almost too many, people currently on the roster in “ball catching” rolls. We’re stacked there. Will Cobb return from his knee bruises? Will it be Gurley or West? Will all the tight ends make it through the weekend? I expect the Packers to keep 6 WRs, with the out man being Gurley. But tonight will play a big role for them. Whoever has the better game has a leg up. The interesting wrinkle happens if they both have a good game. Will the Packers try to keep both? And if not, will the one cut make it through waivers to end up on the Packers practice squad?
- The secondary is the Packers weakest spot on the team depth wise. Holdovers from past seasons, like Lee, Underwood, and Peprah have not done enough this preseason to solidify their roster spots. And at the same time, there hasn’t a run of great plays from newer guys to take over their roles. MD Jennings, Gorgy and Ross have all had flashes of potential, but will they be able to convert tonight’s game into a spot?
- Like the secondary, the linebackers need to step up. I’m definitely most interested tonight in watching the back part of the defense, and really hoping that someone calms the little waves of nervousness in my belly.
- Will Ricky Elmore find anything?
- What kind of facial hair will Rodgers be sporting?
- Will there be a difference in the type of play calling since Philbin not McCarthy will be calling the plays?
- What does MM look like when he’s actually watching the players?
- Can Graham Harrell amaze us all by remembering where the line of scrimmage is again?
- And lastly, how will the field be painted?
As you can tell, I kind of ran out of actual things to watch for…but I think the other options are fun too!
See you all in the game day live blog!
Filed Under: Jayme Joers