If you didn’t already know, Mark Tauscher has been my favorite Packer since he became a member of the team. As a Badger fan, I was an early Tausch supporter and have continued to let him carry the honor of being my favorite Packer until now. With Tauscher now on IR, and most likely gone at the end of the season, he no longer meets my criteria as a favorite Packer candidate. He now goes on the list of all time favorite Packers.
He must be replaced.
Now I have spent some time thinking on this one, and even took the advice of the almighty Packer Ranter who stated, “Your favorite Packers pick you.” That was good advice I think, so I took the time to really narrow it down to what I wanted and needed from a favorite player. This is how it went down.
1. I eliminated the most famous players from contention. In order to be my favorite Packer, you can’t be everyone else’s favorite Packer too. That’s just my rule. So, off the top, these guys go.
2. I decided to then eliminate some of the older guys. I really don’t want to have to choose a new favorite Packer every year. The too old list is:
3. Next, I crossed off all the guys that quite simply I don’t like enough to be my favorite player.
4. Next I decided to take out guys who either hadn’t proven themselves quite yet, are still too young, or I felt would never rise to favorite player standards.
Justin Harrell (if he ever does play consistently, and consistently good, he will automatically take the spot)
5. Then I hosed the guys I think suck.
6. I then eliminated all the guys that I couldn’t remember off the top of my head. If I can’t remember your name, you can’t be my favorite player. I obviously can’t list them.
7. After all of this was over, I was left with the following players:
8. I then had to eliminate some of my sentimental favorites, or guys that people might look at me weird for thinking are awesome.
9. The next four guys I eliminated not because I don’t like them, but they just aren’t my kind of favorite player.
10. Now my list was down to the final ten where it got pretty hard eliminating guys. This is the point I had to start going with my gut. Dropping off were:
11. I was stuck with these six for a long time. So I had to start making illogical decisions.
12. I took out Josh Sitton. I think he is a pro-bowler, but he really doesn’t have any ties to me one way or another so I had to take him off. Love the guy though.
13. I think James Jones is going to make all the haters look silly one day. I would LOVE to have Jones as my favorite player just to argue, but I guess that why he goes here.
14. It’s always nice to have a favorite player who could also have a burger named after them. It was tough, but B.J. and the Raji Burger end their quest here.
15. I love Nick Barnett. He came on Packer Transplants, has been a great guy on Twitter, and will always be one of favorite Packers. Sorry, Nick. Call the show one more time and I’ll bump you to the top again. I think if Nick had not gotten hurt, he would have won. I need a guy on the field though. Nothing personal dude.
16. Tramon Williams is a superstar in the making. If Ted Thompson fails to keep him around, I’ll be super pissed. It would have been a popular pick, but Tramon just missed the cut.
So, after all that soul searching, Desmond Bishop is now my new favorite Packer. I always liked the way Desmond played hard in the pre-seasons, and now seeing him on the field going hard play after play is impressive.
He’s tough and plays with passion, two things that are a must to be my favorite player. I also think Desmond is going to be around for a long time to come.
I hope so, this post took forever.
Filed Under: Featured