They say you can’t use injuries as an excuse, and I sure as hell won’t, but you’d be a fool if you ignored that the injury bug hasn’t bitten the Packers, it’s devoured them.
Depth is important, and Ted Thompson is one of those general managers who gets quality backups. But that’s what they are, BACKUPS.
Occasionally a guy will step up and put his name in for someone’s job(Tramon Williams), but for the most part these are special teamers and guys who come in to spell a tired player. They aren’t there to play every down of every game. Now with THAT said, some of these backups are top notch. Rouse is awesome, Tony Moll\Barbre are pretty serviceable for being non-starters. Kuhn is good and Brandon Jackson is awesome at catching the ball out of the backfield.
But you can not have a winning season playing mostly backups. You just can’t.
Let’s take a look at some of the injuries that have hit our beloved Packers.
- James Jones was hurt, missed time.
- Al Harris got his insides destroyed, missed most of the season.
- Ryan Grant was hurt in preseason and it took a while for him to get a healthy grade from the trainers.
- Scott Wells had\has trunk issues most of the season.
- Atari Bigby seemed to miss most of the season and is finally back, but playing like a man who’s missed most of the season.
- Aaron Rodgers has been playing with a bad shoulder most of the year but seems better than before now, health-wise.
- Cullen Jenkins is out for the year and it really hurt our defensive line. Killed our pass rush.
- KGB was hurt a lot this season before we decided backups were INDEED better than he was.
- Lumpkin is out for the year.
- AJ Hawk had a bad groin and was playing hurt, and some people think he still IS playing hurt.
- Wynn was hurt most of the year but is back.
- Woodson’s been playing with a broken toe but you wouldn’t know it.
- Clifton’s been banged up(and sucky) meaning more time for Colledge who plays like he’s hurt.
- Rookie stud(as in he’s hot) Pat Lee has missed most of the season after a promising camp.
- Do I even have to mention Justin Harrell?
- Nick Barnett is now out for the year.
I’ll stop there before I feel the urge to drink a bottle of UV Vodka. I’m sure I missed some and that list should be a little longer, but you get the point.
Every year, a hand full of teams are absolutely decimated by injuries. It hasn’t been us in a while, but it looks like we were due.
We used to win these close games, now we seem to be losing them. Injuries are probably a factor there.
Like I said, I’m not making excuses but ignoring the fact we got bombarded with injuries kind of sells the team short a bit.
This is still a talented team that just needs to step up to that next level to succeed. With two games against the Bears, and another against the Lions(freebie!), we can turn this around. We just have to fight through the pain and step up! One game out, baby!
Filed Under: Featured