I’ve heard a lot of moaning and groaning already about Aaron Kampman leaving and how on earth will Ted Thompson fill all the holes on his roster. If you ask me, there really isn’t much to fill. In fact, the 2010 Green Bay Packers are about as close to 2009′s squad as you can get. Quit complaining.
Next time, before you start crying, break down the leftovers a little bit first. You have start with what we have lost, which coincidentally really isn’t that much.
- Aaron Kampan: A great Green Bay Packer and future Packer hall-of-famer. We didn’t have him for the second half of the season, and the position was held just fine by Brad Jones of whom many have started raving already.
- Mark Tauscher: Another classy Packer and Wisconsin native all the way. Did a nice job of solidifying the line in 2009. I think T.J. Lang can step in there just fine. However, if I was a betting man, I would place my money on Tauscher in the green and gold in 2010 too. Mark my words.
- DeShawn Wynn: Do I really need to talk about this one? Wynn is a non-factor in my big picture. Much like his career as a Packer.
- Jeremy Kapinos: I don’t hear anyone crying about this one.
That’s it folks, that’s everyone. Essentially, right at this moment, we have every single skill position back in place for 2010 bar one aging tackle and one suck ass punter. I hardly find that anything to be upset about.
With the signing of Clifton I finally could breath a sigh of relief. From here on out the rest is all downhill. We have holes, but the list is smaller than it ever has been before. This is how I personally see our needs in order of importance.
- CB – I don’t know how you cannot call this the biggest need right now. A questionable Al Harris, an injury prone group as a whole, and unproven talent is what you have to look forward to. I look for the Packers to go cornerback right away with their number one pick.
- Punter – Sign Hunter Smith and get it over with. Ted, have you not learned your lesson yet? Just frickin’ do it.
- RB – Seriously, if you think our three headed monster is going this done, think again. Leon… Leon… Leon.
- RT – If you don’t snag Tausch for another year, your going to have to find one, or hope that T.J. Lang can boot over there and help you out. Easily filled with a veteran backup or the third round.
- QB – Say what you want, but we need a veteran quarterback. We will get one too; make note I said that.
- TE – What you say? Well, the fact remains that Donald Lee still sucks. Anyone remember what Keith Jackson did?
- OLB – This I put in the have to consider pile. Brad Jones isn’t getting nearly the love he deserves right now. He essentially came in and replaced a Pro-Bowler. Just get him some competition.
It’s a pretty short list, and with a few nice pickups isn’t even a list at all. The 2009 Green Bay Packers were a hop, skip, and a jump away last season. The 2010 squad carries almost all the same names. Whose worried?
I’m sure not.
Filed Under: Featured