Cheesehead TV is proud to present the final NFL Draft article from long time CHTV reader Chris Squire. Big thanks to Chris for doing this and we hope you’ll let him know what you think in the comments section.
Football Insiders Gary Horton had this to say about the Packers front office:
Decision-makers: This is a very steady front office with a lot of titles and fairly big egos, but it seems to work and the individual roles seem to be clearly defined. It starts with Ted Thompson, Executive VP, GM, and Director of FB Operations, who has all the power -- but he lacks a big ego.
He is a football guy who still watches a lot of tape, and that makes his opinion more informed. The coaches, including head coach Mike McCarthy, have input, but they are not decision-makers. That leaves a duo of veteran front-office guys with considerable input into personnel decisions: John Dorsey (Director of College Scouting) and Reggie McKenzie (Director FB Operations). The scouts are veterans with keen scouting eyes, and Thompson listens to them. This is a surprisingly young roster, and the Packers have a front office that is not afraid to make draft moves.
Asymmetry of information deals with the study of decisions in transactions where one party (GM’s and Scouts) has more or better information than the other (NFL fans and ‘Draftniks’). Organizations spend hundreds man-hours pouring over coaches tape (vastly superior to ‘YouTube’ or the broadcast we’re accustomed to), interviewing players, teammates and their coaches. Interviewers press players to test their resolve/restraint, physicians scour the medical records and physicals exposing every anatomical flaw, and general intelligence (dubbed the ‘Wonderlic’) testing is applied. You start to get the picture why the actual scouting community is somewhat amused by the amateurs. Little do they know, I amuse myself:
- I’m praying Earl Thomas slides – Plays both corner and safety, would help flex Charles Woodson back to the line of scrimmage (where he earned that MVP). Highly unlikely, but a guy can dream…..
- I’ll applaud the acquisition from any of the CB trio; Kareem Jackson, Kyle Wilson or Devin McCourty. I like all three MORE than Joe Haden (no joke, love their upside and flexibility on special teams).
- Jerry Hughes > Sergio Kindle and Brandon Graham. He will have a better overall game by year 3 as a pro.
- That being said, Brandon Graham is tenacious, competitive and by all accounts a great teammate and leader. I’ll take him…..
- Mike Iupati – He needs refinement and coaching but what a physical presence. One thing being lost in a passing league and pass-happy teams: A offensive line mentality where the first innate desire is to shift your weight to the balls of your feet and blow somebody off the line of scrimmage, not rocking back to your heels in pass pro.
If you don’t see your name above it doesn’t mean I don’t love you, I’m just not in love with you.
Thus concludes Chris’s final and random stream of pre-draft thoughts, Go Pack!
Cheers, and enjoy the event……
- Like Like
- 1 points