The big news from Monday was the perhaps better-than-expected prognosis for first round draft pick Datone Jones who is only expected to miss a couple days of practice, according to Mike McCarthy.
Here's the rest of the news on "the walking wounded" in Green Bay...
Returning to Practice
Commentary: Harris came off the PUP list and took part in a practice, albeit on a limited basis, for the first time since last season. He missed the entire offseason because of surgery to remove a cyst from his lung and then the beginning of training camp due to a knee injury. The Packers appear to be easing him back into practice, but he's obviously making progress.
Dropping Out of Practice
Commentary: Jones missed his first practice on Monday since spraining his ankle in the preseason opener, but all things considered, the Packers may have dodged a bullet. It appeared fans were hoping for the best but preparing for the worst when McCarthy failed to give an update on Jones on Saturday. The word on Monday, however, was that Jones will only miss a couple days of practice this week but that his status is still up in the air for the upcoming preseason game against the Rams.
Running back Eddie Lacy, hamstring
Commentary: After taking part in warmups but nothing else in practice last Thursday, Lacy was held out of Saturday's game and reportedly didn't take part in practice on Monday. Indications are that Lacy tested his hamstring, but McCarthy didn't know how he performed. It doesn't seem as if Lacy's injury is serious, but the Packers are erring on the side of caution for the time being.
Commentary: After playing one series in the preseason opener, McCarthy indicated he held Lang out of practice on Monday, same as last Thursday. Considering Lang was able to play against the Cardinals, his back issue probably isn't on the serious side. There's still three more days of practice before the next game, so there was no need to rush Lang back to action.
The following players' status hasn't changed (anticipated return in parentheses):
- Wide receiver Jordy Nelson, knee (regular-season opener)
- Wide receiver Randall Cobb, biceps (presumably day to day)
- Cornerback Casey Hayward, hamstring (a couple weeks, as of 7/26)
- Cornerback Tramon Williams, knee (a couple weeks, as of 7/30)
- Offensive lineman Derek Sherrod, leg (undetermined, on his "last hurdle," according to McCarthy)
- Wide receiver Charles Johnson, knee (undetermined)
- Wide receiver Kevin Dorsey (undetermined)
- Tight end Andrew Quarless, quad (undetermined)
- Tight end Ryan Taylor, knee (week to week, as of 8/6)
- Offensive lineman Andrew Datko, concussion (undetermined)
- Safety Sean Richardson, neck (undetermined)
- Defensive lineman Jerel Worthy, knee (undetermined)
- Offensive lineman J.C. Tretter, ankle (regular season at the earliest)
- Like Like
- 3 points