Three offensive linemen dropped out of practice on Thursday, which left the Packers awfully thin at the position. Combined with previous injuries to Bryan Bulaga, Marshall Newhouse and J.C. Tretter, only nine of the 15 offensive linemen on the Packers roster participated in practice.
Head coach Mike McCarthy said he hasn't yet decided on how much or if injured players will play in tomorrow night's preseason opener against the Arizona Cardinals at Lambeau Field in Green Bay.
Here's more on walking wounded...
Returning to Practice
Running back Eddie Lacy, hamstring
Commentary: Take the fact that Lacy returned to practice with a grain of salt. According to any number of reports, he took part in Thursday's warm-up but nothing else. It's a positive that Lacy returned in any capacity, but the Packers may choose to err on the side of caution with a player they expect to play a large role in the regular season.
Dropping Out of Practice
Offensive lineman T.J. Lang, back
Commentary: McCarthy said Lang "had a pretty good collision yesterday at practice." Don Barclay took Lang's reps as the starting right guard on Thursday at practice and will likely play in his place on Friday if Lang misses the game.
Offensive lineman Andrew Datko, concussion
Commentary: In what would appear to be the first documented concussion suffered during Packers training camp this year, Datko missed practice on Thursday. Considering the NFL's stringent guidelines for returning from a concussion, it's highly doubtful he'll play in the game Friday night.
Offensive lineman Lane Taylor, personal reasons
Commentary: Taylor indicated on Twitter that his wife was going into labor. That bodes well that his absence is only temporary and he'll be able to play on Friday night.
The following players' status hasn't changed (anticipated return in parentheses):
- Wide receiver Jordy Nelson, knee (regular-season opener)
- Cornerback Casey Hayward, hamstring (a couple weeks, as of 7/26)
- Cornerback Tramon Williams, knee (a couple weeks, as of 7/30)
- Running back DuJuan Harris, knee (two or three weeks, as of 7/30)
- Offensive lineman Derek Sherrod, leg (undetermined, on his "last hurdle," according to McCarthy)
- Wide receiver Charles Johnson, knee (undetermined)
- Wide receiver Kevin Dorsey (undetermined)
- Tight end Andrew Quarless, quad (undetermined)
- Tight end Ryan Taylor, knee (week to week, as of 8/6)
- Safety Sean Richardson, neck (undetermined)
- Defensive lineman Jerel Worthy, knee (undetermined)
- Offensive lineman J.C. Tretter, ankle (regular season at the earliest)
- Like Like
- 2 points