- Congratulations to Donald Driver for passing James Lofton to become the All Time Packers yardage leader in receiving .
- Really hope Nick Collins is alright.
- That was just about as ugly a start to a game as we've seen in some time, but the Packers did what good teams do. They stayed calm and took care of business. Reminded me of the Rams game in '96 when the Packers looked terrible in the first half and then completely turned it around in the second half. Not exactly the same here, but I had the same feeling during the game as I had back then.
- I can't believe people (and there were many of them) were Tweeting at me how Greg Jennings needed to "stop Tweeting about being great" and focus on football because he dropped a pass. Jennings has always had his share of drops, but nothing today was particularly egregious. In fact, there were plenty of throws early Rodgers just flat-out missed. Jennings is fine - as his TD and TD-making block on Nelson's TD showed.
- Speaking of Nelson - will the Green Bay media make a big deal about his lack of targets?
- Charles Woodson looked both old and brilliant. But mostly brilliant.
- Undrafted rookie tackle Byron Bell held up very well against Clay Matthews, who was wasted on the couple of plays where he was asked to spy on Cam Newton. Bell got help sometimes but when he was locked up one-on-one he did very well.
- Speaking of pressure, or lack-thereof, the Packers couldn't get close to Newton. Sure they got to him when Carolina (brilliantly) left Clay Matthews unblocked and Bishop cleaned up for a sack. But most of the game Packers defenders couldn't win one-on-one.
- The Panthers did a great job keeping in extra blockers and then letting the back slip out after the coverage was run off deep. Its the same thing the Lions did when they came to Lambeau last year.
- Would have liked to have seen more points after all those turnovers generated by the defense.
- Back shoulder throw? Not so much.
- That roughing the passer penalty on Desmond Bishop was an absolute joke - THAT IS HOW YOU ARE TAUGHT TO TACKLE. Ridiculous.
- Also ridiculous? That whole "ground can wipe out a touchdown" rule we saw on display on the Finley non-catch. Don't get me wrong, the officials made the right call. That's what the rule says. But its a beyond-idiotic rule. My whole life, football has been about "once you have control of the ball across the goalline, its a touchdown." What happened after that was immaterial. Then, a few years ago, they changed the rule to what it is now. Asinine.
- You just knew Rodgers would hit for some big plays eventually.
- I don't know why the Packers are fooling around with Ryan Grant. Just make Starks your back and use Grant when Starks needs to tap out. It takes Grant forever to get to and then "explode" through the line, and it gives safeties a ton of time to diagnose the play and then crash down. There were a couple of 1 and 2 yard runs by Grant that would have been 7 or 8 yard runs by Starks.
- We saw the good and the bad of Morgan Burnett today. He struggled a bit in man coverage but played well in space generally, wasn't afraid to get physical and made a fantastic play on the strip of Steve Smith.
- Speaking of "afraid to get physical" - Sam. Shields. That is all.
- Here's hoping everyone is healed and ready to go next week for the big game down in Chicago.
Gut Reactions: Week Two - Gallery Photo
- Safeties, Defensive Linemen Go Fast as Free Agency Opens and Packers Stand Pat
- Visits Scheduled: Finley to Seattle, EDS to Tampa Bay
- Johnny Jolly Indicates He's Green-Lighted for Strength Work
- Packers Reportedly Tender LB Jamari Lattimore
- All Quiet on the Jermichael Finley Front
- Packers Calendar: Tender Deadline, Free Agency Begins
- Lions, Jets Reportedly Interested in WR James Jones
- Giants Said to Be Front-Runners for Packers OL Evan Dietrich-Smith
- Packers Draft Mailbag: Chris Borland Fits Better Than Trent Murphy
- Report: More than Six Teams Express Interest in TE Andrew Quarless
- Railbird Central Podcast: Mike Neal Prepares to Enter Free Agency
- Report: Packers Express Interest in DL Lamarr Houston
- First Week Pro Day Wrap-Up: Packers Check Out WR Austin Franklin, Others
Gut Reactions: Week Two
By packeraaron on Sep 18, 2011 with 62 Comments