By Aaron Nagler on Dec 18, 2011 with 139 Comments
- Packers just laid their first egg since they played like they never got off the bus in Detroit last year.
- More concerning than the loss are the injuries to Bryan Bulaga and Derek Sherrod. Sherrod’s injury in particular looked very bad.
- Yes, the Packers missed Greg Jennings – but if they simply catch the balls that are thrown to them in the first half, they probably win this game.
- Off day all around. Mike had a hot Ryan Grant – and refused to ride him. That may have more to do with Rodgers’ calls at the line, but it was clear early on that Grant was running well between the tackles.
- The defense was out-coached and out-played. No two ways about it.
- The Chiefs did a great job using the screen early, which made Capers adjust and go to a passive zone – which gave Orton a ton of open windows when they went to a dropback game in the third quarter. The Chiefs were one step ahead of Capers nearly all day.
- Speaking of the defense – the defensive line without Ryan Pickett is B.J. Raji and a bunch of guys. And pretty pedestrian guys at that.
- You’ll hear a variation on this theme after this game, which I agree with to an extent – better to lose now than in the playoffs,
- The Packers went 364 days between losses.
- Not that it mattered, but if I was McCarthy I would have kicked away rather than kick onsides.
- Marshall Newhouse was brutal a lot of the game. He played well for a stretch there in the 3rd quarter. Rodgers holding the ball didn’t help him any.
- The Packers can still clinch homefield advantage tomorrow with a 49ers loss.
- Overall, a disappointing day. Time for the Packers to get healthy and get ready for the Bears.
Filed Under: Featured • Gut Reactions