Even though there are 53-man rosters, teams are only allowed to have 45 players active on game days plus an emergency third quarterback (which doesn’t apply to the Packers seeing as they only have three quarterbacks anyway).
Below is the Packers entire roster. Players in bold text are those I predict to be inactive on Sunday for the season opening game at the Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday:
- QB: Aaron Rodgers, Matt Flynn
- RB: Ryan Grant, Brandon Jackson
- FB: Korey Hall, John Kuhn, Quinn Johnson
- WR: Greg Jennings, Donald Driver, James Jones, Jordy Nelson, Brett Swain
- TE: Jermichael Finley, Donald Lee, Tom Crabtree, Andrew Quarless
- OL: Chad Clifton, Mark Tauscher, Daryn Colledge, Josh Sitton, Scott Wells, Bryan Bulaga, T.J. Lang, Jason Spitz, Nick McDonald, Marshall Newhouse
- DL: Cullen Jenkins, B.J. Raji, Ryan Pickett, Mike Neal, Justin Harrell, C.J. Wilson
- ILB: Nick Barnett, A.J. Hawk, Brandon Chillar, Desmond Bishop
- OLB: Clay Matthews, Brad Jones, Brady Poppinga, Frank Zombo
- CB: Charles Woodson, Tramon Williams, Jarrett Bush, Sam Shields, Pat Lee, Brandon Underwood
- S: Nick Collins, Morgan Burnett, Derrick Martin, Charlie Peprah
- ST: Mason Crosby, Brett Goode, Tim Masthay
- Nick McDonald, Marshall Newhouse and C.J. Wilson are obvious choices. They probably wouldn’t play on special teams even if they were active.
- Frank Zombo would probably be considered on the active roster if Brady Poppinga’s health continued to be a problem, but that doesn’t appear to be the case.
- Andrew Quarless is going to sit a couple weeks as he learns the ropes in the NFL.
- I just can’t see the Packers keep all three fullbacks active on game day. It may happen, but I don’t see it.
- Pat Lee appears to be behind both Sam Shields and Jarrett Bush in the cornerback pecking order.
- Based upon Mike McCarthy’s comments, I’m guessing Brandon Underwood won’t be able in time for Sunday. “I think it is important for Brandon to get pretty far down the road before we feel comfortable and he feels comfortable that he would be able to do the things that are necessary, particularly at that position,” said McCarthy.
- If I had to choose one more player to be inactive, it would be Charlie Peprah. But as for right now, he makes the cut.
Filed Under: Featured