WHEN: 8:00 p.m. est Aug. 19th
WHERE: Lambeau Field, Green Bay
TV: Kevin Harlan (play-by-play) & Rich Gannon (analyst) via local affiliates; NFL Network w/live look-ins
RADIO: Wayne Larrivee (play-by-play) & Larry McCarren (analyst) for AM-620 and Packer Radio Network
INTERNET: Cheesehead TV Gameday Live Blog
One of the NFL’s longest team traditions, the Upper Midwest Shrine Game kicks off its 62nd installment Friday night. Each season, the Packers donate a percentage of the gate to the Shriners Hospitals for Children. The Shriners’ facilities provide specialized medical services, helping children with birth defects and other injuries, at absolutely no cost. To date, the series has raised more than $3.2 million for the Midwest Shrine’s burn centers and hospitals for disabled children.
In his first season leading the Packers, Vince Lombardi made an agreement with George Halas to play in the Shrine game annually.
From the Dope Sheet:
- Green Bay Packers vs. Arizona Cardinals
- The Packers return to Green Bay on Friday night to host the Arizona Cardinals at Lambeau Field in the team’s home preseason opener. It will be the first time the Packers have played in front of their home crowd since they clinched a postseason berth with a 10-3 win over the Chicago Bears in the 2010 regular-season finale.
- Old-time rivals dating back to the days when the Cardinals franchise called Chicago home, Friday night marks the 22nd preseason meeting between the two franchises. Green Bay holds a 15-6 advantage in the all-time preseason series.
- The teams last squared off in the preseason in 2009 at University of Phoenix Stadium, a 44-37 Green Bay victory. The Packers’ No. 1 offense scored 31 points on six first-half possessions as Aaron Rodgers completed 14-of-19 passes for 258 yards and three TDs (155.2 QB rating). Green Bay posted 357 yards of total offense and 38 of their points in the first half alone.
- That 2009 preseason contest was the first of three games between the teams that season, with all of them in Arizona. Green Bay topped the Cardinals, 33-7, in Week 17 to set up a meeting between the teams the next week in a Wild Card contest. Arizona would emerge victorious in the playoff game, topping Green Bay in overtime, 51-45, in the highest-scoring postseason game in NFL history.
- The teams combined for 1,024 yards and an NFL-playoff record 13 touchdowns, and Rodgers set a franchise postseason record with 423 yards passing.
- Green Bay fell to the Browns, 27-17, at Cleveland on Saturday night in its preseason opener, while Arizona topped Oakland, 24-18, in its preseason debut on Thursday night.
- The Packers will travel to Indianapolis next Friday night to take on the Colts in a nationally televised contest, while the Cardinals host the San Diego Chargers in their home preseason opener next Saturday evening.
- Like Like
- 0 points