- Jordy Nelson–Following up Week 1 with a second consecutive solid performance, Nelson had 2 returns of 61 yards for a 30.5 yard average and a long of 34. Even though the Bills didn't score very often to give Nelson more chances, he put the offense in decent field position in the opportunities he did receive.
- Tom Crabtree–Tied for the team lead with two unassisted tackles on special teams while fighting through blockers on the kickoff unit. Was also part of the group of players blocking for Nelson's kick returns. Had a false start penalty on one punt, however.
- Derrick Martin–Tied for the team lead with two total special teams tackles including one impressive solo tackle tripping up C.J. Spiller on kickoff. Retreated too far to nearly collide with Nelson on one kickoff.
- Brett Goode–Perfect snaps on all kicks and punts and helped prevent rush up the middle from the Bills on field goals and extra points.
- Mason Crosby–While not nearly as impressive as Week 1, Crosby still was a perfect 2-2 on field goals and 4-4 on extra points.
- Donald Lee–He only had one special teams tackle, but it was impressive hit on the kickoff coverage unit.
The fan voting on last night's episode of Packer Transplants had Nelson coming in first with 34% of the vote, Crabtree second with 28% and Martin third at 24%.
I have to agree with Cheesehead Nation on this one. I probably would have given the award to Crabtree or Martin, but they both had one mental error that prevents them from getting the award.
One little side note, the Packers coaching staff awarded Crabtree with the special teams game ball following the win, which I'm wondering if it's sending the wrong message to award Crabtree after incurring a false start penalty. Maybe that's minor, but considering the poor special teams play of the past several years, nothing can go overlooked.
Nelson may have had only two opportunities for returns this past week, and normally that wouldn't be enough to earn such an award. But combined with his steady play for two straight weeks, and the mistakes by Crabtree and Martin, Nelson gets the honor.
Cheesehead TV Special Teams Player of the Week
Week 1–Mason Crosby
Week 2–Jordy Nelson
- Like Like
- 1 points